Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PantsFreeZone posted:

Tas Melas of the Starters just mentioned that Jonas Valanciunas is on the list of big men to work with Hakeem this offseason.

JV with a dream shake is what basketball wet dreams aspire towards.

I feel like "worked out with Hakeem" has reached the level of "put on 15 pounds of muscle" or "in the best shape of his life" in this-guy-is-gonna-take-a-big-step-I-mean-it offseason phrases.

e: With the caveat that working out with Hakeem actually seems to work if you happen to already be Lebron or someone else good.

Jack's Flow posted:

The Cavs hiring Blatt would mean they are smart and will not hire Vinny del Negro. What the hell, Cleveland?!

There's nothing saying they won't fire him after a couple more losing seasons that reasonable people would blame on their roster and drafting being bad. Then hire Mike Brown again.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

PantsFreeZone posted:

This is not true.

Irving is a better slasher and shooter than Wade without the baggage of "when will his knees finally explode for good." Irving is not a good defender, but Wade is at least as bad right now.

Love is a better rebounder and shooter than Bosh. Bosh is a better defender than Love.

Even in a best case scenario for Dwyane Wade next season, I think this is a wash.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Embiid is getting foot surgery for a stress fracture apparently. God I hope the Cavs just take Wiggins.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 19, 2014

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Neither Love nor Irving plays any defense. Neither shoots as efficiently as Bosh nor Wade.

And that isn't even considering the ramifications of chemistry after playing together for 4 years, all ending in the Finals.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Icy Penguigo posted:

Irving is a better slasher and shooter than Wade without the baggage of "when will his knees finally explode for good." Irving is not a good defender, but Wade is at least as bad right now.

Love is a better rebounder and shooter than Bosh. Bosh is a better defender than Love.

Even in a best case scenario for Dwyane Wade next season, I think this is a wash.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Embiid is getting foot surgery for a stress fracture apparently. God I hope the Cavs just take Wiggins.

Embiid is going to become Sam Bowie isn't he? Back issues and foot issues for a big man is really bad news.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Icy Penguigo posted:

Irving is a better slasher and shooter than Wade without the baggage of "when will his knees finally explode for good."

Kyrie Irving isn't exactly a model of health, either. And what the hell, better shooter? Wade's rookie year is the only season that he's had a worse shooting year than Kyrie's best. And with similar or higher usage, too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Love is a better three point shooter than Bosh, but it's not that big of a difference, whereas Bosh is a much better shooter everywhere else on the floor. He is a better rebounder than Bosh, that is really the only area where I'm comfortable saying Love is better than Bosh.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Kyrie Irving isn't exactly a model of health, either. And what the hell, better shooter? Wade's rookie year is the only season that he's had a worse shooting year than Kyrie's best. And with similar or higher usage, too.

I meant he's a better shooter from 3 but I'll just shut up about the whole thing now.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
I've head my head up the England/Uruguay match for the last couple hours and just heard about the Love/Martin/Barrea/13th pick to warriors for Thompson/Lee. As a Warriors fan, Love for Thompson/Lee is something i've been advocating since it became apparent Love wanted out. Getting the 13th pick and Barrea are just really nice bonuses.

Holy poo poo, please happen.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Bashez posted:

That was hilarious. At first it looks like a reasonable deal and then all of a sudden Philly is committing highway robbery.

Please stop reminding me, it hurts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It might end up being Nerlens Noel and Julius Randle for Jrue Holliday.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Icy Penguigo posted:

I meant he's a better shooter from 3 but I'll just shut up about the whole thing now.

You're right, though. I'm sure Irving and Love would look a lot better playing next to Lebron.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Love is a better three point shooter than Bosh, but it's not that big of a difference, whereas Bosh is a much better shooter everywhere else on the floor. He is a better rebounder than Bosh, that is really the only area where I'm comfortable saying Love is better than Bosh.

It's a pretty big difference, especially when you consider how many more he shoots and the type of looks he gets versus the type of looks Bosh gets. And he's not like a little bit better as a rebounder, he is one of the 5 or so best rebounders in all of basketball. Love's a lot better than Bosh and that isn't a knock on Bosh in the slightest.

IcePhoenix posted:

He's much much better at the rim, but Irving has a way better jumper.

But yeah lol at calling Wade's health a ticking time bomb when you're comparing him to Kyrie loving Irving. The last time Kyrie made it through a season healthy he was in loving high school

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 19, 2014

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rick posted:

Love is a better three point shooter than Bosh, but it's not that big of a difference

It's a pretty big difference, especially since Love shots 3's like twice as much as Bosh did this year and with how and when each of them shoot them.

e: Well I didn't refresh and MourningView pretty much already said the exact same thing haha

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

PantsFreeZone posted:

Neither shoots as efficiently as Bosh nor Wade.

Neither Love nor Irving play with LeBron James

Edit: this is all incredibly stupid because LeBron isn't going to Cleveland jfc

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Please stop reminding me, it hurts.

Hey, at least we also got Pierre Jackson out of it! Right? ...right guys? :smith:

Speaking of Pierre, he is supposed to play in Summer League again! Gonna lead the Pels to the SL Championship. :cool:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Love Curry Iggy Bogut and whoever would be really good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

He's much much better at the rim, but Irving has a way better jumper.

This is probably a dumb comparison (because body types) but

If Ricky Rubio shot the same percentage at the rim this year that Dwyane Wade did his FG% would have been over 46% instead of 38.1. I'll take the guy that can finish over the guy that can shoot. Especially if he can hit his free throws.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In 2015, Love will probably be a better player than Bosh, this shouldn't be a controversial statement at all and isn't at all a knock on Chris Bosh.

I just know the GSW offer is Klay, Barnes and Lee for Love and some mix of Martin and JJ. I'd rather they get a year of Love and hope a real coach, maybe some success, and more money win out. On the plus side maybe I can get dirt cheap season tickets again.

Also, Martins contact doesn't seem awful for a guy who is at least a low end starter. I don't see the big deal about wanting to get out of a MLE-type deal of SG with a 16.0 PER....

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

IcePhoenix posted:

This is probably a dumb comparison (because body types) but

If Ricky Rubio shot the same percentage at the rim this year that Dwyane Wade did his FG% would have been over 46% instead of 38.1. I'll take the guy that can finish over the guy that can shoot. Especially if he can hit his free throws.

It's not a binary thing, though. Teams can play off Rubio because they know he can't shoot and that takes away opportunities to drive.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It is interesting to see Cleveland fans jump wildly from hopefulness to crushing depression and I feel like basketball is the only sport where it happens

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kibner posted:

Speaking of Pierre, he is supposed to play in Summer League again! Gonna lead the Pels to the SL Championship. :cool:

They're actually going to sign him this year right?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

euphronius posted:

It might end up being Nerlens Noel and Julius Randle for Jrue Holliday.

Do you want me to kill myself?

Only a man hoping for suicide would remind me of this.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

It is interesting to see Cleveland fans jump wildly from hopefulness to crushing depression and I feel like basketball is the only sport where it happens

It's because they never reach hopefulness in any other sport, they know better than that.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
No offense but you are delusional if you think the Cavs are the best long-term fit for Lebron. Best case scenario is what, they take Embiid and in a few years look like a slightly better version of this year's Rockets (and that's assuming they can get some good roleplayers on cheap contracts)? I'm sure Lebron can't wait to waste the remaining years of his athletic prime waiting on that. Why not just sign with Houston this offseason if that's the team he wants to play with?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

They're actually going to sign him this year right?

Most likely. They have consistently said they view him as their draft pick for this year. Even as far back as before last season started, iirc.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The hot thing seems to be the reports for Klay Thompson being available for Kevin Love, while I'd hate to see Klay go, as long as it means David Lee is gone as well then I'm happy with it.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

E2M2 posted:

Love Curry Iggy Bogut and whoever would be really good

Give Draymond more minutes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morestuff posted:

It's not a binary thing, though. Teams can play off Rubio because they know he can't shoot and that takes away opportunities to drive.

No but he's really bad at the rim. Like 47% bad. He got better as the season went on, sort of, but even with a busted jumper he only needed to be league average-ish to be really effective.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Captain Tolerable posted:

The hot thing seems to be the reports for Klay Thompson being available for Kevin Love, while I'd hate to see Klay go, as long as it means David Lee is gone as well then I'm happy with it.

It's pretty funny listening to Tolbert and whoever that shitlord he has with him on the air saying the trade would be bad. Klay Thompson is hilariously overrated in the bay area and Love is a top ten player in the league. Making the trade will make us a better, deeper team.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sheriff posted:

No offense but you are delusional if you think the Cavs are the best long-term fit for Lebron. Best case scenario is what, they take Embiid and in a few years look like a slightly better version of this year's Rockets (and that's assuming they can get some good roleplayers on cheap contracts)? I'm sure Lebron can't wait to waste the remaining years of his athletic prime waiting on that. Why not just sign with Houston this offseason if that's the team he wants to play with?

I think Houston might be the best place for LeBron to sign this summer.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 20, 2014

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheriff posted:

I know what you are saying, but LeBron, Harden, Dwight, Handsome Parsons and the flotsam of the Rockets bench would probably win the next 2 or 3 titles.

And, even as a Miami fan, I would love to see that team destroy the West while conquering Texas.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Would be looking forward to the eventual "Harden betrayed Durant" poo poo from sportswriters if Lebron joins the Rockets and they play the Thunder.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

PantsFreeZone posted:

I know what you are saying, but LeBron, Harden, Dwight, Handsome Parsons and the flotsam of the Rockets bench would probably win the next 2 or 3 titles.

And, even as a Miami fan, I would love to see that team destroy the West while conquering Texas.

Oh, I'm a Rockets fan so I don't disagree at all. I just think it's silly to think Lebron should sign with Cleveland and wait and hope their young guys develop and they get lucky in the draft when that team basically already exists.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Houston would be the best place to sign if you're willing to take a big rear end discount since they can make $19m in space without gutting the team. Since nobody will probably do that it's kind of irrelevant though

Captain Tolerable posted:

Would be looking forward to the eventual "Harden betrayed Durant" poo poo from sportswriters if Lebron joins the Rockets and they play the Thunder.

He already betrayed the hopes and dreams of Oklahoma by not giving Clay Bennett a giant discount on his contract

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought Harden's side of the story was that they gave Harden an offer, Harden went to go think about it, and by the Presti already decided to pull the trigger on a trade

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought Harden's side of the story was that they gave Harden an offer, Harden went to go think about it, and by the Presti already decided to pull the trigger on a trade

I think it was basically this, but he had something ridiculous like a 2 hour deadline to say yes.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I think both are technically true. The contract negotiations had been ongoing for months with various offers, the Thunder had made it clear that their last one was the final one, and they were ready to pull the trigger on a trade to Houston, and he had like an hour or something to finally make a decision on the final offer. He either didn't make a decision in time (Harden's version) or he turned down the final offer outright, and Presti pulled the trigger.

E: My point being that the thing that he "only had an hour/2 hours/whatever" to think about it is a little misleading, since it makes it seem like Harden had no idea what the situation was until the clock was about to strike midnight, when the negotiations had been ongoing all summer and the Thunder had been clear they were prepared to trade him and were shopping around for various packages. Eventually it came to a point that it had to be a yes or a no, which I assume is a point most negotiations hit.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 20, 2014

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The way I see it, OKC should have sought better value out of that trade elsewhere. Was there ever anyone else they talked to?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The way I see it, OKC should have sought better value out of that trade elsewhere. Was there ever anyone else they talked to?

There's a few we know about. Off the top of my head, the big one Presti evidently wanted was the Beal pick (to take Beal) from the Wizards and somebody else, but Washington turned it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

They did. They asked for Beal and Thompson at the very least.

• Locked thread