Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

TXDoT's prime/only solution to increasing traffic problems throughout the state seem to be "build more roads" even though this doesn't work. For comparison's sake, noted progressive utopia Moscow -- the Russian one -- is attempting to solve it's horrendous traffic issue by massively expanding the metro, the bus system, and commuter rail, while plans for congestion pricing and other means of discouraging car travel are on the table. Good job Texas!

Great, know that Dan Patrick knows Moscow is doing it, Texas is going to not do it even harder. Thanks a lot, guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Swan Oat posted:

Our Department of Transportation is so underbudget that it has converted some portions of our roads to gravel to save on maintenance fees, and I have heard that roads in areas with a lot of fracking are in absolutely terrible condition due to vehicle damage from heavy trucks. Anecdotally, living in Houston, I can say that while our highways are generally well maintained, with one notable exception, the surface streets are in pretty bad condition.

TXDoT's prime/only solution to increasing traffic problems throughout the state seem to be "build more roads" even though this doesn't work. For comparison's sake, noted progressive utopia Moscow -- the Russian one -- is attempting to solve it's horrendous traffic issue by massively expanding the metro, the bus system, and commuter rail, while plans for congestion pricing and other means of discouraging car travel are on the table. Good job Texas!
You're not kidding about Houston. Last time I was there I was like :wtc: as my car went KA-BANG KA-BANG driving on the surface streets. And this was in a nice part of town.

On TxDOT: A lot of this is due to corrupt networks between officials, toll road operators, real-estate developers and land speculators. It kinda works like this: TxDOT is underbudget, so to save money it plans for new roads -- and purchases land for those roads -- in sections. This alerts speculators and developers where the next purchases will be. Those guys then buy that land and flip it to the state for a profit. Obviously, these same guys then use some of that profit to lobby politicians to build more roads. Even better is to take some more of that profit and hire a former TxDOT official to help you grease the wheels on your next purchase, and so on.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 18, 2014

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Here's a nice tweet from one of Ted Cruz's senior staffers:

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/statuses/478994725014609920

quote:

We're likely keeping Benghazi terrorist on a ship instead of GTMO, a secure facility that's made for this http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/benghazi-suspect-next-steps-107961.html

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't been to every major city in Texas, but my impressions are:

Houston - Oil, chemicals, NASA, various financial industrial industries, and more sprawl. Outer counties are solidly red, but Harris County is split down the middle (Obama beat Romney here by less than 100 votes!).

Bit of an amendment to this: Harris County is split down the middle, but largely because there are a lot of other incorporated areas (pretty much everything southeast of downtown, everything northwest of 1960 and 290) and annexed suburbs (Kingwood, probably others that I'm forgetting). Houston proper is pretty liberal, though. Also, Fort Bend County is one of the exceptions to "solidly red" rule. It went 55-45 Romney, if I recall correctly, which is a far cry from the 70-25 Romney result in Montgomery.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

If you look at the population percentage, you'll think, hell that's a lot of Hispanics. But a big chunk of that number are below voting age or they're in their twenties. There's obviously stuff like low voter registration that's a problem. And then there's the fact that the Texas Democratic Party doesn't give anyone very good reasons to vote for them -- they don't have much of an identity. The Texas GOP has also been more adept than other state GOPs at attracting Hispanic voters, which cuts into the Democrats' base. Not a lot. But enough that it matters.

So I think it's partly time, partly the Democrats having their work cut out for them, and partly what the GOP does in the future. The GOP looks like it's moving away in this election from the more moderate Bush and Perry approach, and is going totally hard-line on immigration. But Wendy Davis is such a waxwork that I think -- for the Republicans -- this will be a successful strategy for the immediately foreseeable future.

This is the frustrating part. As much as I support and agree with the need to increase voter registration and turnout, there has to be something for a target group to show up and vote for. I can think of dozens of issues that hispanic voters could get behind and support; some not even targeted specifically at them. How about being for bilingual education and supporting legislation that actually says Texas is a bilingual state; screw english only. How about being for an increase in the national standing of the Texas public education system and by the way, hell yes all those kids are welcome in our public schools. How about a goal of free higher education at all state schools; free tuition for all in state students and hell yes those immigrant children are drat well welcome. How about an increase in the minimum wage to at least $10 per hour. How about accepting Medicaide expansion under Obamacare and gently caress it, lets just go for single payer in Texas; Vermont's not better than us. Hell I can think of a gently caress ton of issues that would make a distinction between the GOP and a new Texas Democratic party that would attract young hispanic and minority voters. And, I really thought that this was the year that stuff like that should have been rolled out and given a test drive. But, it's not going to happen.

edit: by way of explanation, I know that a lot of those things would never be acceptable, even though they should be, on a national level. But on the state level, I don't think that Democrats, especially in Texas, can continue to just sit back and say, "well we're not Republicans, vote for us".

radical meme fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 18, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

surrender posted:

Here's a nice tweet from one of Ted Cruz's senior staffers:

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/statuses/478994725014609920

Bit of an amendment to this: Harris County is split down the middle, but largely because there are a lot of other incorporated areas (pretty much everything southeast of downtown, everything northwest of 1960 and 290) and annexed suburbs (Kingwood, probably others that I'm forgetting). Houston proper is pretty liberal, though. Also, Fort Bend County is one of the exceptions to "solidly red" rule. It went 55-45 Romney, if I recall correctly, which is a far cry from the 70-25 Romney result in Montgomery.
Guantanamo Bay and seasteading, my two favourite things.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

radical meme posted:

This is the frustrating part. As much as I support and agree with the need to increase voter registration and turnout, there has to be something for a target group to show up and vote for. I can think of dozens of issues that hispanic voters could get behind and support; some not even targeted specifically at them. How about being for bilingual education and supporting legislation that actually says Texas is a bilingual state; screw english only. How about being for an increase in the national standing of the Texas public education system and by the way, hell yes all those kids are welcome in our public schools. How about a goal of free higher education at all state schools; free tuition for all in state students and hell yes those immigrant children are drat well welcome. How about an increase in the minimum wage to at least $10 per hour. How about accepting Medicaide expansion under Obamacare and gently caress it, lets just go for single payer in Texas; Vermont's not better than us. Hell I can think of a gently caress ton of issues that would make a distinction between the GOP and a new Texas Democratic party that would attract young hispanic and minority voters. And, I really thought that this was the year that stuff like that should have been rolled out and given a test drive. But, it's not going to happen.

edit: by way of explanation, I know that a lot of those things would never be acceptable, even though they should be, on a national level. But on the state level, I don't think that Democrats, especially in Texas, can continue to just sit back and say, "well we're not Republicans, vote for us".

If it's any consolation this is a problem with the Democratic party as a whole right now.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
If you, my friends on the left, are unhappy, imagine how I feel as a rational conservative in this Tea Party, bat-poo poo-crazy, Fox News driven state... You all look at the faces of the Republican reps in the OP and despair, and so do I.

The political landscape in Texas is terrible. I can't stand Wendy Davis, both for some of what she supports and more for everything she's not, but I was hoping the Battleground Texas movement would at least get some traction to force conservative Texans back to the middle.

The team-sports mentality of partisan politics is exhausting to me anyway, but the disaster of this year's ballot is just depressing.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
:toot: Updated the OP and the second resources post with some stuff. Anyone who has any other suggestions for either the OP or resources post please feel free to suggest!

RE: Wendy Davis and her campaign strategy

I've been involved with Battleground/the Wendy campaign since February and have met Wendy ~5 times now. I also talked with a few "upper level" staffers and although I would never claim to know the exact battle plan for the campaign, I do know a few things for sure:

(1) Wendy has not yet begun to fight. The campaign is saving it's money and doing cheap advertising and marketing like online ads while focusing on ground game. Expect the campaign to start blitzing the airwaves with TV and other more mass-media promotion sometime in the next month or so. Especially since Abbott just released his first official campaign commercial during the soccer match yesterday.

(2) Wendy is not a wilting lilly. Yes, Texas Democratic candidates get a bad wrap for being weak-willed babies who curl into a ball at the first sign of trouble and given the history of some Democratic candidates from Texas, I'm inclined to agree. But Wendy isn't that way. She's fierce and she's going to take to Abbott.

Cast my opinion aside as a true believer if you'd like. Whatever. She's still our best chance to win since Ann Richards. Doing the whole "well she probably won't win and she's down in the polls even though it's only June so why even bother doing anything ever?" isn't going to help. Even if you don't think she's perfect, which she may not be, she's still a gently caress ton better than Abbott!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Her campaign has been a complete disaster up to this point. It hasn't helped that she made her bones on one of the hottest of the hot button divisive issues in politics and that she has been running away from that position since.

She hired former state rep Chris Turner as her new campaign manager last week, so we'll see if she can turn it around.

In bullshit news, Patrick has joined with other GOP legislators in calling for a special session to increase funding for border security. This will not happen.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Dr. Pangloss posted:

If you, my friends on the left, are unhappy, imagine how I feel as a rational conservative in this Tea Party, bat-poo poo-crazy, Fox News driven state... You all look at the faces of the Republican reps in the OP and despair, and so do I.

The political landscape in Texas is terrible. I can't stand Wendy Davis, both for some of what she supports and more for everything she's not, but I was hoping the Battleground Texas movement would at least get some traction to force conservative Texans back to the middle.

The team-sports mentality of partisan politics is exhausting to me anyway, but the disaster of this year's ballot is just depressing.

You're going to get a team sports mentality as long as you have first past the post and only two parties so get used to it I guess.

Xarthor posted:

:toot: Updated the OP and the second resources post with some stuff. Anyone who has any other suggestions for either the OP or resources post please feel free to suggest!

RE: Wendy Davis and her campaign strategy

I've been involved with Battleground/the Wendy campaign since February and have met Wendy ~5 times now. I also talked with a few "upper level" staffers and although I would never claim to know the exact battle plan for the campaign, I do know a few things for sure:

(1) Wendy has not yet begun to fight. The campaign is saving it's money and doing cheap advertising and marketing like online ads while focusing on ground game. Expect the campaign to start blitzing the airwaves with TV and other more mass-media promotion sometime in the next month or so. Especially since Abbott just released his first official campaign commercial during the soccer match yesterday.

(2) Wendy is not a wilting lilly. Yes, Texas Democratic candidates get a bad wrap for being weak-willed babies who curl into a ball at the first sign of trouble and given the history of some Democratic candidates from Texas, I'm inclined to agree. But Wendy isn't that way. She's fierce and she's going to take to Abbott.

Cast my opinion aside as a true believer if you'd like. Whatever. She's still our best chance to win since Ann Richards. Doing the whole "well she probably won't win and she's down in the polls even though it's only June so why even bother doing anything ever?" isn't going to help. Even if you don't think she's perfect, which she may not be, she's still a gently caress ton better than Abbott!

I mean I plan on voting for her as long as her numbers stay where they are but Democrats as a whole and especially Texas Dems have this problem where they don't really have a platform except I am not a Republican it's hard to tell where Dems stand on issues that aren't gay marriage or racial discrimination because the big tent strategy means that everyone from progressives to liberals to disgruntled Republicans identify as D.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's your official Texas GOP Platform.

SirKibbles posted:

You're going to get a team sports mentality as long as you have first past the post and only two parties so get used to it I guess.

I mean I plan on voting for her as long as her numbers stay where they are but Democrats as a whole and especially Texas Dems have this problem where they don't really have a platform except I am not a Republican it's hard to tell where Dems stand on issues that aren't gay marriage or racial discrimination because the big tent strategy means that everyone from progressives to liberals to disgruntled Republicans identify as D.

Here you go junior. The state convention is next week so they'll have their official platform out then. I don't expect it will differ greatly from the 2012 platform.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'd love some kind of chart with the power rankings of people like the Lt. Governor and Land Commissioner (or whatever the title was).

There was a pretty great discussion of it here.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

zoux posted:

Here you go junior. The state convention is next week so they'll have their official platform out then. I don't expect it will differ greatly from the 2012 platform.

Why does that seem to talk about/to Austin specifically? Is "txdemocrats" just an Austin-specific group commenting on wider Texas politics issues to a local audience?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Why does that seem to talk about/to Austin specifically? Is "txdemocrats" just an Austin-specific group commenting on wider Texas politics issues to a local audience?

Not sure what you mean?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh, I think I get it, hah. When they say Austin, they specifically mean the state government, don't they? Like when people talk about "DC" or "Washington" on the national level, they are really referring to the feds, not the city.

I'm not from a state that does that, I'm just following along, so it was kind of confusing to see things like "restore trust between taxpayers and elected officials in Austin".

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 18, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Here's your official Texas GOP Platform.

Yeah I know what the official platform is,it's not like D's and R's don't have differing opinions from the official party line.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So here's Abbott's first play towards Hispanic voters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP22f4DLLQA

Favorability ratings from April:

quote:

Abbott has a 64-27 percent lead among white voters. Davis leads among Hispanics, 43-33 percent, and among African Americans 72-11 percent.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/greg-abbott-holds-double-digit-lead-over-wendy-dav/nfZ4w/
It's old, but Abbott being only 10 points behind in favorability among Hispanics means Davis has her work cut out for her. But Texas conservatives are also moving rightward:

quote:

In a year when immigration issues have figured prominently in primary elections, the survey describes the sharp lines in public opinion. Republican voters were much more likely to take a hard line on deportation, for example, with 74 percent in support of that idea, compared with 56 percent of independents and 32 percent of Democrats. At 85 percent, support is even stronger among Texans who identify themselves as Tea Party voters.

“The harder-line conservatives have shifted this issue by the way they have talked about this issue,” said Daron Shaw, a professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin and co-director of the poll. “The majority of Republican sentiment is moving in a more conservative direction in Texas.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2014/06/18/uttt-poll-hard-line-immigration/

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Abbott being only 10 points behind in favorability among Hispanics means Davis has her work cut out for her.

I live in West Texas in an area with a pretty significant amount of Hispanics and it's not uncommon for many of them to lean conservative/vote Republican, usually for FYGM reasons. This seems to be especially true if they're doing well financially (and you don't even have to be well educated to get a lot of money out in this area thanks to the oil boom).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Accretionist posted:

Think local politics are amenable to an attack from the left? Socialist Alternative indicates they have a new branch in Austin. Juicing them up with money and volunteers could help light a fire under the Democrats. It would also mean juicing up Texan Socialists. Win-win!

As much as it pains me to say, if the state really is purple then strategically you'd be better off supporting the Dems in the short term, but maintaining a presence and being vocal on policy. There's not really going to be enough of a socialist vote for the party to cater to it at the risk of losing moderates, who they're going after right now.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

SirKibbles posted:

I can't call that an unrealistic viewpoint, since that's the reality we are faced with, but I can say that it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in it. I choose not to "get used to it", instead I choose to disengage from the rhetoric. I can be a conservative that thinks a road to citizenship is smart and that the government should be out of the marriage business altogether, and, in point of fact, I am. I'm not playing for either "team", because neither one of them represents me.

And, in truth, neither party seems all that interested in "representing" anyone. They seem far more interested in making promises that put them in power so they can do what they want. I can recognize that's the case and has been for the entire history of republics without also knowing that we can do better, that at no point in history has technology put us in a position where the masses can be fully informed to make the truly best decision for themselves.

The Democrats lose the ability to have a specific vision for the country because they are the Big Tent party that wants what everyone in the nation wants, as long as those people aren't Republicans. Republicans have, in the past dozen years fully, passed over to crackpotdom and while the vision they present is a focused one, it's the focus of an impassioned lunatic who just gets angry when people call him on his insanity.

Being aware of the situation and settling for it are two different things, and the situation we're faced with is not one to which I choose to become accustomed, however little impact that has.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Xarthor posted:

Cast my opinion aside as a true believer if you'd like. Whatever. She's still our best chance to win since Ann Richards. Doing the whole "well she probably won't win and she's down in the polls even though it's only June so why even bother doing anything ever?" isn't going to help.

As someone who works in Battleground Texas I imagine you spend plenty of time talking tactics, so is there any good advice for dealing with the surprisingly popular "I agree with you, but gently caress you for trying!" attitude?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought that Wendy Davis' s website was a train wreck. First screen I got to was asking for donations and it took me a minute to find the link to skip it.

Plus I find it hard to get excited about her since I hadn't even heard of her until the whole filibuster thing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I thought that Wendy Davis' s website was a train wreck. First screen I got to was asking for donations and it took me a minute to find the link to skip it.

Plus I find it hard to get excited about her since I hadn't even heard of her until the whole filibuster thing.

To be fair, most Texans haven't heard of any Democrat. Republicans are on the air year round since Obama's election, and I just have access to KSAT12 in my area.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I got a question for the people in Battleground Texas from someone who has never worked in a political thing before:

How flexible are the schedules for volunteers? This fall I'll have about 6 hours a day I could do something in while the kid is at school and volunteering for BT is one of the things I'm considering doing. How possible would that be?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I tried to find out if anyone's actually running for Congress in my district other than the incumbent (there were no Democratic challengers in 2012). There is a list of candidates on the Texas Democrats' page but my guy just has a Facebook and a Twitter link. The Facebook link redirects to your home page, and the Twitter link goes to a profile that is not public.

So it feels about as organized as 2012.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
To be fair, it's kind of hard to organize with people who may be three hundred to five hundred miles away from you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ghetto Prince posted:

To be fair, it's kind of hard to organize with people who may be three hundred to five hundred miles away from you.

The vast majority of people (like 75%) live within the triangle formed by Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, which are maybe 300 miles away from each other (Houston -San Antonio is 200 miles). Everyone else are partisan enough (either R in the rest of the state or D in the Valley) so that you don't need to worry about them.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Cheekio posted:

As someone who works in Battleground Texas I imagine you spend plenty of time talking tactics, so is there any good advice for dealing with the surprisingly popular "I agree with you, but gently caress you for trying!" attitude?

Three main arguments:

(1) Not to get all :patriot: about the whole thing, but I remind apathetic voters (or discouraged Democratic voters) that people in this country have literally died over the right to vote and not just once. Hell, people are getting their fingers chopped off in Afghanistan right now because they voted in the presidential election. Don't whine to me about how voting isn't important.

(2) Then of course there's the whole leaves from a bush argument. If you and I take one leaf each from a bush nobody would notice. But if everyone starts deciding to take one leaf from a bush that's going to be one bare bush pretty quick. Any freshman liberal arts major can make a stoner argument about why your vote doesn't even matter maaaaaan, but that's why we don't decide elections based one random person.

(3) How the gently caress are you going to let Republicans tell you what to do? Most (at least Democratic leaning) people I talk to are happy to talk about how Perry and his cronies have been loving up the state for 10+ years now, but they don't want to volunteer or vote because their vote doesn't matter because it's a red state? Guess who wants you to believe and accept that it's a red state and would prefer if you stay home on election day? Those same idiots who are loving everything up! Complaining doesn't do poo poo. Volunteering and voting does.

Every statistical analysis/report of voting records and patterns I have ever seen has Texas at in the bottom five states when it comes to overall voter turnout. At the very core, Texas is not a red state, it's a non-voting state. Period. One of the main thing Battleground focuses so hard on is voter registration not because we want to register exclusively Democrats (although that's certainly good too) we just want people to be registered so they can at least have an option to vote and then by November make the decision to vote Democratic.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I got a question for the people in Battleground Texas from someone who has never worked in a political thing before:

How flexible are the schedules for volunteers? This fall I'll have about 6 hours a day I could do something in while the kid is at school and volunteering for BT is one of the things I'm considering doing. How possible would that be?

Completely. You could help with data entry, help make copies, greet people who walk into a field office, making some calls, or any number of other things. I'd fill out this form and someone will contact you. Explain your situation and tell them you're interested in helping out at the field office during the day, or helping out with any Wendy events during the work day, which happen from time to time. I can't speak for every field organizer, but most of the organizers I know would be totally accommodating. Any help is good help.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Swan Oat posted:

Our Department of Transportation is so underbudget that it has converted some portions of our roads to gravel to save on maintenance fees, and I have heard that roads in areas with a lot of fracking are in absolutely terrible condition due to vehicle damage from heavy trucks. Anecdotally, living in Houston, I can say that while our highways are generally well maintained, with one notable exception, the surface streets are in pretty bad condition.

Weirdly, things are kinda going the other direction in Dallas. 635, which is a ludicrously crowded highway that people desperately try to avoid driving during rush hour if possible, has been under construction for some time building expanded HOV lanes which are available to non-HOV drivers under a congestion pricing scheme. I know at least some sections of these lanes are now open.

Additionally, there's been a long running project to build a ludicrously stupid tollway inside the Trinity River's levees, an area that regularly floods. In 2007, there was a big debate about the road which led to a referendum to stop its construction, which failed. The last six months, however, has seen a lot of the big money supporters of the project turn against it and decide it should not be built.

Additionally, there's now a debate about whether we should rip out an existing highway. I-345 is a 1.5 mile stretch of road that connects Central Expressway (a major north-south route for traffic) with the end of I-45. Maintenance is needed, and TxDOT has approved money for the maintenance, but there's currently a debate over whether the road should just be ripped out and replaced with an at-grade parkway, using the extra land for development, and hopefully reconnect the neighborhoods that are currently separated by this highway running between them.

It's not action on the Trinity Tollway or the tear down of I-345 yet, but there's a lot of debate for some ideas you'd think would be largely summarily dismissed.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Happy Juneteenth, y'all! I would say expect some racist things from the various GOP lights in our great state, but most people probably don't even know today is special. :smith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Happy Juneteenth, y'all! I would say expect some racist things from the various GOP lights in our great state, but most people probably don't even know today is special. :smith:

Not true. The Dallas County Commisioners Court gave us a Juneteenth miracle!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Haha, Price is a huge rear end in a top hat and a massively corrupt one at that, but as a professional troll there's few on his level.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Haha, Price is a huge rear end in a top hat and a massively corrupt one at that, but as a professional troll there's few on his level.
Yes. He's hilarious. He's also way more intelligent than most of the other Dallas politicos, some of whom can be catastrophically stupid. Dallas will miss him whenever he retires.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heh

quote:

Drivers Licenses- We propose that every Texas driver’s license shall indicate whether the driver is a United States citizen. No such license shall be issued to anyone not legally in the country.

quote:

Real ID Act-As the Real ID Act effectively creates an unconstitutional and privacy-inhibiting national ID card, we hereby call for its immediate repeal
ID's: critical voter-integrity device or Orwellian Mark of the Beast? Who knows? The Texas GOP sure doesn't!

quote:

Article V Convention- Under no circumstances shall the Bill of Rights, the first 10 constitutional amendments, be changed in any manner

quote:

Remedies to Activist Judiciary- We call Congress and the President to use their constitutional powers to restrain activist judges. We urge Congress to adopt the Judicial Conduct Act of 2005, and remove judges who abuse their authority. Further, we urge Congress to withhold Supreme Court jurisdiction in cases involving abortion, religious freedom, and the Bill of Rights.
The Bill of Rights is essential to our liberty and under no circumstances may the be changed, oh and also judges shouldn't be able to stop us from violating the gently caress out of the first 10 amendments. And boy do we ever want violate the gently caress out of them and piss on the corpse!

quote:

Flag Desecration- Any form of desecration of the American Flag is an act of disregard for our nation and its people, and penalties should be established for such.

quote:

Homosexuality- Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that have been ordained by God in the Bible, recognized by our nation’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle

Hahaha, holy poo poo this is cracking me up

quote:

Voting Rights- We support equal suffrage for all United States citizens of voting age who are not felons. We oppose any identification of citizens by race, origin, or creed and oppose use of any such identification for purposes of creating voting districts.

quote:

Voter Rights Act- We urge that the Voter Rights Act of 1965, codified and updated in 1973, be repealed and not reauthorized
We support equal suffrage for all US citizens, a right so important that it must not be enforced or protected in any way!

quote:

Higher Education- We oppose the use of quotas, diversity, and the ten percent rule. We support Texas college admissions based solely on merit.
:confused:What? How is the ten percent rule not merit-based? Do some schools run a lottery to see who gets the top 10% of GPAs?

quote:

Foster Care- We support eliminating bureaucratic prohibitions on corporal discipline and home schooling in foster homes.
Child Abuse- We recognize the family as a sovereign authority over which the state has no right to intervene, unless a parent or legal guardian has committed criminal abuse. Child abusers should be severely prosecuted. We oppose actions of social agencies to classify traditional methods of discipline, including corporal punishment, as child abuse.

All right, I can't do this anymore. What the gently caress is with the pro-child-beating planks? I mean okay, you want to whip your kids, does that really need to be in the state political platform? Twice?!?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 20, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

All right, I can't do this anymore. What the gently caress is with the pro-child-beating planks? I mean okay, you want to whip your kids, does that really need to be in the state political platform?
:wtc:

I think the answer is probably yeah, because that's the only way the platform would get written. The way it's structured is all the local (I think county-level) Republican districts send delegates to write the platform, and they only have a limited amount of time to put the thing together.

There a shitload of these districts. So really any :bahgawd: from Upshur County can get on the committee and insert a plank supporting mandatory GMO labeling and the nutritional benefits of raw milk. "drat nanny state liberals won't let us SPANK OUR KIIIDS." I have a friend who used to be in the John Birch Society [he isn't anymore (!) in case you were wonderin'] who also used to be a delegate to these conventions in the 1980s, and that's how he explained it.

It doesn't really reflect the interests of the big bidnessmen who run the state GOP. But it's always an awkward moment and the Democrats go hog wild with it, as they should of course, while the Republican candidates try to ignore it the best they can, or they say things like "Greg Abbott is running on his own platform, about creating jobs for Texans blah blah blah." And "stories about batshit crazy Texans" is a tried and true formula for NYC media editors looking for traffic to their websites.

Here's a good description:

quote:

For connoisseurs of WTF—I’m looking at you trolls—there is but one ur-text, the guiding document from which all others emanate, and are compared to. And though it is based on immutable laws of nature and God, it is nevertheless a living document too, revised every couple years by a gathering of wise men and women, who puzzle and debate over the text with the passion and intensity of a gathering of Talmudic scholars. I am of course referring to the Texas Republican Party platform.

The Texas GOP convention is meeting this week in Fort Worth and one of the most important items of business is revising the Platform—a task that is taken very, very seriously by many of the delegates. The Platform isn’t binding on Republican elected officials (though some in the grassroots would like it to be) but it matters for symbolic reasons. It’s also a fascinating glimpse into the id of conservatism. The folks who write it are the true believers and this is their wish list, their vision of a world that conforms to their ideals and beliefs. The Platform (I’m capitalizing “platform” in honor of The Platform’s RANDOM use of Capital Letters) is also contested ground: the turf on which the GOP’s various factions fight, usually over brown people and immigration.

http://www.texasobserver.org/wtf-friday-texas-republican-party-platform/
I like the term "the id of conservatism."

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 20, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

I'd love some kind of chart with the power rankings of people like the Lt. Governor and Land Commissioner (or whatever the title was).

There was a pretty great discussion of it here.
Oh hey, I wrote that up, glad I could help out. For those to lazy to click the link, (and because this fact needs to be shouted from the rooftops repeatedly):

I did a class presentation on Texas politics and holy poo poo is Texas's Lt. Governor powerful. I made up this chart for the presentation, this is what our Legislative Budget Board (IE the guys who draw up the entire Texas state budget) looks like:

It's ten people, five of whom are appointed by the Lt. Governor or the Speaker of the Texas House, who are also members of the board. That means two people essentially control Texas's entire state budget. Welcome to Texas politics, please pick your jaw up from the floor when you leave. Also, welcome to why Texas is chronically underfunded in everything and probably will be for the foreseeable future, even if when Battleground Texas starts winning.

VitalSigns posted:

All right, I can't do this anymore. What the gently caress is with the pro-child-beating planks? I mean okay, you want to whip your kids, does that really need to be in the state political platform?
Yeah, there's a reason I will vote for pretty much anyone with a (D) next to their name, and I hope some of you can see why now. The Texas GOP platform is basically a full-on horror show, so anything that opposes them is good. Also, I hate Perry, Cruz, Gohmert, John Cornyn (he should probably get a section in the OP as well) and pretty much everyone related to them, so I'm also voting out of spite. I consider spite to be a completely valid reason to go and vote by the way, whatever it takes to motivate people.:colbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 20, 2014

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VitalSigns posted:

:confused:What? How is the ten percent rule not merit-based? Do some schools run a lottery to see who gets the top 10% of GPAs?

They don't like it because it is determined per school. So a kid from a school where top 10% consists of everyone over a 3.2 GPAs might conceivably take an admissions slot from a person who went to a different school and graduated with a 3.8 GPA but was not in the top 10% because the school was whiter richer "more rigorous".

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

VitalSigns posted:

Resentment of the top 10% qualifiers from majority-minority schools because dadgummit my 40th percentile son could run rings around Those People, where's his scholarship! (Not that any of them actually volunteer to live in those neighborhoods and attend those schools to test this theory, mind you.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So here's some more on the platform.

quote:

Texas GOP Chairman Steve Munisteri said the two-week delay in releasing the platform had to do with some clerical errors and nothing to do with controversy surrounding the document. But he did address the inclusion of reparative therapy in the platform, saying he doesn’t believe you can convert a LGBT individual to a heterosexual by simply talking to them.

“And I just make the point for anybody that thinks that may be the possibility: Do they think they can take a straight person to a psychiatrist and turn them gay?” Munisteri said.

Munisteri said he’s not the only one who opposes this plank in the party’s platform.

“My emails and phone calls to the office are running overwhelmingly opposed to that plank in the platform,” Munisteri said.

Munisteri said a group of Republicans at the convention led by his predecessor, Cathie Adams, were able to pass the reparative therapy resolution using a parliamentary trick.

“Because the way the platform works, once somebody calls the question on the platform it’s a parliamentary maneuver," Munisteri said. "The delegates are really forced to pass the platform as is, because if you don’t there is no platform.”

Munisteri said there is no way anyone can tell if a majority of Republicans statewide support the reparative therapy plank.

http://tpr.org/post/texas-gop-chairman-munisteri-speaks-out-against-reparative-therapy
Not treading water for the Republicans. I'm gay! I wouldn't vote for them. But the platform is more of a smorgasbord and doesn't reflect the candidates. That said, Abbott has received tens of thousands of dollars from donors who support pray-the-gay-away "therapy":

http://www.lonestarq.com/republican-greg-abbott-linked-anti-gay-hate-groups-advocate-reparative-therapy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah I imagine their ideal of the top 10% rule is to find the top 10% of students statewide and admit them.

Of course this would require a state-wide examination that wasn't a complete joke, so we're safe there.