Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inside Outside posted:

Draft Express has already updated their mock draft. Wiggins first, Exum third, Embiid fourth. Hello Orlando, may I interest you in a Rajon Rondo?

I will lose my poo poo. Can't wait until he leaves for LA in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Count me on board for trading 3 and 10 for the first overall...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ty1990 posted:

I don't think they're going to do that now. It's a lot less attractive when the top tier of the draft is two guys instead of three.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
If the Cavs are still high on Embiid (but not high enough to take him #1) or are smitten on Exum, they can definitely get that 3+10 package out of the 76ers now. Maybe even get Thad Young out of them too if they really want.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ty1990 posted:

This would be a stupid move and if the Sixers did it they would deserve all the bad poo poo that happened to them afterwards, especially considering that the Cavs are high on Exum as well and the #2 pick on the Bucks' board after Embiid is Parker. If you want Wiggins he might still drop to you and if not oh no you have your choice of phenomenal high upside prospects

Trading up when you're that shallow at every position is a bad call, especially trading two lottery picks in a stacked draft

yo soy fiesta
Feb 6, 2005

Are you fucking shitting me, dude!?

Hinkie is probably gonna get Wiggins and Embiid if people start overreacting to overreactions

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are a week out and no one has any idea.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best predraft ever

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

We are a week out and no one has any idea.

And its not like last year where we had no idea because everyone was equally terrible

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Remember when people were saying Cavs promising to draft Dion Waiters was some kind of smokescreen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chunkles posted:

Remember when people were saying Cavs promising to draft Dion Waiters was some kind of smokescreen.

Waiters got a promise from the Suns and then parlayed that into not working out for anyone which caused the Cavs to freak out and grab him in a panic

Funny poo poo

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Hoops Rumors posted a mock draft that has Embiid falling to the Celtics oh my god it's happening No it isn't they're just a rumors site with no sources

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Inside Outside posted:

Hoops Rumors posted a mock draft that has Embiid falling to the Celtics oh my god it's happening No it isn't they're just a rumors site with no sources

The Celtics are probably getting a better player than they should be (hint it's Vonleh, Exum, or Randle) and will be annoyingly good again soon enough

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
People completely writing off Embiid are really stupid, considering Len was taken at 5 last year with a bad foot injury. Of course, there was poo poo talent at that point, but if you still think Embiid can be a really good player and not retire after 3 years, he's going 3-6. I've heard Magic fans say they wouldn't take Embiid at 12 which is hilarious when you look at the 12 picks from the last decade.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm praying that somehow the Sixers get Wiggins at 3 and Embiid at 10.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm praying that somehow the Sixers get Wiggins at 3 and Embiid at 10.

This would be so amazing.

I wouldn't put it past the Cavs to take Exum.

If I'm the Sixers and Wiggins falls in my lap at 3, I'm on the phone with everyone between 4-9 to move up for Embiid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't see Embiid getting past the Lakers even if his foot is falling off, because Kupchak would totally draft him just to trade him.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Rick posted:

I don't see Embiid getting past the Lakers even if his foot is falling off, because Kupchak would totally draft him just to trade him.

The Celtics have also already said that the injury doesn't scare them, and according to CSNNE (the station that airs all their games) they're even looking into trading up for him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Deadbeat Dad posted:

People completely writing off Embiid are really stupid, considering Len was taken at 5 last year with a bad foot injury. Of course, there was poo poo talent at that point, but if you still think Embiid can be a really good player and not retire after 3 years, he's going 3-6. I've heard Magic fans say they wouldn't take Embiid at 12 which is hilarious when you look at the 12 picks from the last decade.

Len was taken in a weak draft where everyone mocked in the lottery had some kind of issue. Embiid is a much better prospect, but the second tier of this draft is also pretty good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Waiters got a promise from the Suns and then parlayed that into not working out for anyone which caused the Cavs to freak out and grab him in a panic

Funny poo poo

I think the story is that he stopped working out and his agent hinted that he had a promise in the mid-lottery, but he never actually had one.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

I think the story is that he stopped working out and his agent hinted that he had a promise in the mid-lottery, but he never actually had one.

It was this. The funniest thing is that Waiters even came out the day before the draft and admitted that there was no promise. The Cavs, being the Cavs, still took him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People assumed it was Phoenix because Phoenix was looking into a Nash successor (Marshall :lol:) but it was never confirmed it was Phoenix. In fact I think people were speculating over whether it was Toronto or Phoenix

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I've decided that I am going to be unsurprised when Cleveland fails to surprise me with their terrible surprise pick, or incredibly surprised when they make an unsurprising good pick.

Sam Bowie kept breaking his legs in turn not his foot, but he was drafted to the Blazers while Bill Walton's career was ending from foot injuries. If you wwould like any additional help with exceedingly pedantic corrections to jokes feel free to PM me

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

WhyteRyce posted:

Len was taken in a weak draft where everyone mocked in the lottery had some kind of issue. Embiid is a much better prospect, but the second tier of this draft is also pretty good.

Much better prospect is putting it lightly. Like I said, they just need to gather a lot of information on if his injuries are more likely to be a recurring thing. Yao had the same injury and it caused him to basically retire (but had way more wear and tear) - he's not Yao's size or weight though. Jordan also had the same surgery and we know how that turned out, but he's not 6'6 and his weight either.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My mental chart of injuries seems to say that a broken foot is fine for guys who are young, and that they recover from them completely like they never happened. As players get older, this injury goes from being something players easily get over, to permanently limiting their effectiveness, ultimately to being something that makes retirement necessary.

However, ACLs pretty much hamper guys no matter what age they are.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I understand the answer to this is 'because it is Cleveland' but why are they not (seemingly) keen on Wiggins?

They are a tire fire at SF at the moment assuming Deng leaves, and they already have several guys that play PG/SG. Is Exum insurance for when Kyrie leaves? Or do they seriously believe Lebron is going to come back and fill that void?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

EMC posted:

I understand the answer to this is 'because it is Cleveland' but why are they not (seemingly) keen on Wiggins?

They are a tire fire at SF at the moment assuming Deng leaves, and they already have several guys that play PG/SG. Is Exum insurance for when Kyrie leaves? Or do they seriously believe Lebron is going to come back and fill that void?

They might think Deng is coming back or they might think that Bennett is the long term solution at the 3 or they might just be going "BPA figure it out later"

Alternatively, acute mental retardation

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
After watching Patty Mills MC the Spurs victory parade/pep rally thing, I'd draft Exum first overall just to have someone that cool sounding on my team.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

EMC posted:

Anthony Bennett is 6'7", he can definitely play SF

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

Anthony Bennett is 6'7", he can definitely play SF

Anthony Bennett is fat, he can definitely play PF

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

He can play SF in the sense that I am 6ft 3 and can play PG too, neither of us seem NBA caliber though

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I was pretending to be a Cavaliers GM, the real answer is that the Cavs love to fool themselves into drafting for need when they really should just focus on drafting NBA quality players

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah every other post in this thread has an ironic/sarcastic joke that could be accepted as a reasonable statement if you barely knew anything about basketball it might be tricky to read if you're just coming in to learn about the draft and they don't know you guys are a bunch of merry pranksters and gadabouts.

ooo Oak Hill is playing Montverde on ESPN if anyone wants to see a few four and five star recruits go at it or just simply watch some basketball any basketball at all

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Am I wrong for still being prepared to pull the trigger on Embiid at 3 if that's the way the chips fall?

A lot of my friends are making me feel like in wrong.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have not seen his foot x-ray but it's probably fine.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

aBagorn posted:

Am I wrong for still being prepared to pull the trigger on Embiid at 3 if that's the way the chips fall?

A lot of my friends are making me feel like in wrong.

Having no clue about the prospects in next year's draft, I do know the Sixers don't have a major incentive to make the playoffs due to a prior trade with lottery protection. The biggest possible benefit of taking Embiid (and not pressuring him this season) would be to essentially make him this season's Noel as they tank for another top 5 spot in the draft with little pressure to make major team improvements.

Of course, in my mind, had Embiid still been healthy, I think my ideal scenario would've been getting Wiggins, playing a season that starts off fairly poorly and ends on like a 15 game winning streak, finishing at say, 10th in the East. That flash of hope would carry over into the off season where they draft a decent top ten player and sign one or two major free agents, making the 2015 season the one of high expectations.

My realistic main concern is that this Embiid injury pushes back the Sixers' plan for longterm success one whole year if they can't get a true franchise player in this draft.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
They're curing diseases every day man they might even have a way to heal broken bones soon and I say roll the dice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Talk about earning your cut.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

I have not seen his foot x-ray but it's probably fine.

Isn't a broken foot a pretty serious injury for a big man given their shelf life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Not to say that it isn't a big deal (it is), but I'd argue good big men have a longer shelf life than any other position (see Malone (x2), Duncan, Garnett, KAJ, Parrish)

• Locked thread