Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

So, TVIV! I have a question for any experienced HBO-havers. I ended up missing this entire season of Game of Thrones, but now that I'm finally getting an upgrade to HD, they're giving me the channels until mid-September. My question is that, based on previous seasons, is there any chance that they'll be going back through the older episodes at some point or is it just rerunning the final two ad nauseam like it shows for the next few weeks of scheduling until they slip out of the rotation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You'll have access to HBO Go too, I assume. I would check on that.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Generic American posted:

So, TVIV! I have a question for any experienced HBO-havers. I ended up missing this entire season of Game of Thrones, but now that I'm finally getting an upgrade to HD, they're giving me the channels until mid-September. My question is that, based on previous seasons, is there any chance that they'll be going back through the older episodes at some point or is it just rerunning the final two ad nauseam like it shows for the next few weeks of scheduling until they slip out of the rotation?

The entire series to date is on Xfinity On Demand, so I'd assume it's on HBOGO proper as well. If you can watch HBO the channel on your box, you probably have access to HBOGO.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Generic American posted:

You will have HBOGo, just use that. If you want to watch it on your tv, well why don't you already have something hooked up to your tv that can do that?

Also I must have watched another show called Farscape from a lot of you. Better than TNG? Later seasons good? :psyduck:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Spatula City posted:

I just finished the first season of Farscape yesterday, and I did not expect it to be THAT good. This show is better than Star Trek in all the ways that matter, holy poo poo. Better than all of the Star Treks, except maybe the original series. The characters drive the plot, and they are such strong characters, at that, multifaceted and dynamic. And, jesus christ, how did they make puppets so expressive? Rygel and Pilot are incredible feats of design. The Nerve/The Hidden Memory two-parter is as thrilling as anything I've seen from a sci-fi show, easily comparable to the Chain of Command two-parter from TNG.
Also worth mentioning, Farscape is unusually strong in terms of female characters, with Aeryn and Zhaan both being complex, rounded inviduals with agency, and from what little we see of Chiana in the first season, she seems that way as well. Also RIP PK Tech Girl. :smith:

Farscape got more life, emotion, and complexity out of a poorly moulded bit of rubber than almost anything I saw in Star Trek's human actors. It's a really brave piece of scifi that exudes passion from every element of the production. A wonderful contrast to the staid reverence Trek has for its own mediocrity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AMC already renewed Better Call Saul for a 2nd season, but pushed back the premiere to early 2015 from this November. It's getting a 10 episode 1st season and a 13 episode 2nd season sometime in 2016.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/19/amc-orders-second-season-breaking-bad-spinoff-better-call-saul/

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Lycus posted:

You'll have access to HBO Go too, I assume. I would check on that.

IRQ posted:

You will have HBOGo, just use that. If you want to watch it on your tv, well why don't you already have something hooked up to your tv that can do that?

xeria posted:

The entire series to date is on Xfinity On Demand, so I'd assume it's on HBOGO proper as well. If you can watch HBO the channel on your box, you probably have access to HBOGO.
Thanks for the quick replies! I admit that I feel a bit silly now, because I've spent all of this time thinking that HBO Go was purely a separate service that you could purchase on its own like Hulu... Never occurred to me to actually check the site and notice that you can use your satellite provider's log-in to get access. :doh:

Definitely not ideal, since streaming through my connection is a bit like getting a root-canal through your rear end, but it's certainly better than waiting until March for the DVD to drop!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm also pretty sure the entire season of Game of Thrones is up on HBO On Demand which I had back when my cable provider really sucked and didn't give me access to HBO Go (or back before I owned an ipad and/or smart tv). But you should have HBO Go and if you just upgraded to hd I assume you have or are willing to invest in a way to watch that on your tv.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Spatula City posted:

I just finished the first season of Farscape yesterday, and I did not expect it to be THAT good. This show is better than Star Trek in all the ways that matter, holy poo poo. Better than all of the Star Treks, except maybe the original series. The characters drive the plot, and they are such strong characters, at that, multifaceted and dynamic. And, jesus christ, how did they make puppets so expressive? Rygel and Pilot are incredible feats of design. The Nerve/The Hidden Memory two-parter is as thrilling as anything I've seen from a sci-fi show, easily comparable to the Chain of Command two-parter from TNG.
Also worth mentioning, Farscape is unusually strong in terms of female characters, with Aeryn and Zhaan both being complex, rounded inviduals with agency, and from what little we see of Chiana in the first season, she seems that way as well. Also RIP PK Tech Girl. :smith:
I had just started watching season 3 in earnest and it is so drat good, you are in for some good poo poo :allears:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet but they're currently auditioning contestants (as far as I can tell that website's legit but it could be fake I guess) for a second season of Whodunnit. I hope there are other goons who loved that wacky, ridiculous show as much as I did last year :allears:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 20, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kaynorr posted:

There is a fair amount of click bait there, but there is a also a lot of excellent web journalism. Between that and the other newcomer FiveThirtyEight, it's the one that offers far more useful content.

The question is how long it still will feature excellent web journalism. Polygon, belonging to Vox, just let go three people, who were specifically tasked with writing long and deep pieces with the stated goal that it will feature less of this stuff.
The Verge, another subsite of Vox also reduced their in-depth stuff for more and more clickbait for the last few months. And Vox itself was very clickbaity from day one. I'd rather have seen him on The Disolve.

Also, with him gone and all the writers fired over the last year from The A.V. Club, is there any reason to visit it still?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had.

Also, it's really worth it because despite the reality show's general nature, there have been a bunch of great comics to come out of LCS: Todd Glass, Doug Benson, Amy Schumer, Josh Blue, and in the previous season Myq Kaplan, Mike DeStefano (rip), James Adomian and Tommy Johnagin all competed. Guy Braunam was apparently auditioning, but they didn't take him, which is weird because A: He's famous-ish and B: He's funny.

edit:

Decius posted:

The question is how long it still will feature excellent web journalism. Polygon, belonging to Vox, just let go three people, who were specifically tasked with writing long and deep pieces with the stated goal that it will feature less of this stuff.
The Verge, another subsite of Vox also reduced their in-depth stuff for more and more clickbait for the last few months. And Vox itself was very clickbaity from day one. I'd rather have seen him on The Disolve.

Also, with him gone and all the writers fired over the last year from The A.V. Club, is there any reason to visit it still?

The guys who do the news are often very funny, and they do the AV Undercover series which is cool because I love covers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, it's really worth it because despite the reality show's general nature, there have been a bunch of great comics to come out of LCS: Todd Glass, Doug Benson, Amy Schumer, Josh Blue, and in the previous season Myq Kaplan, Mike DeStefano (rip), James Adomian and Tommy Johnagin all competed. Guy Braunam was apparently auditioning, but they didn't take him, which is weird because A: He's famous-ish and B: He's funny.

I had no clue Amy Schumer and Doug Benson started on LCS. I only watched the first two seasons, and then the one with Josh Blue, who is not, in fact, funny at all. I don't think he is anyway.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I had no clue Amy Schumer and Doug Benson started on LCS. I only watched the first two seasons, and then the one with Josh Blue, who is not, in fact, funny at all. I don't think he is anyway.

Yeah, between Dat Phan winning the first season with his dire "my parents are so fresh-off-the-boat and wacky and foreign 'ching chong bing bong' haha am I right?" routines and the huge season 2 shake-up over the fact that the celebrity judges' votes were being overridden by producers to get comedians they owned promoted on the show I pretty much lost any interest in it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dominion debuted last night on Syfy, and it certainly got away with a lot of bare rear end male and female nudity on a basic cable station. Also sideboob. I can't recall any nudity on Syfy in the past.

The pilot wasn't entirely awful, either (although there were a LOT of blahhhhhhhh scenes and plot devices, and some of the dialogue is cringeworthy); the setting is a futuristic SPQR-style society in the ruins of Las Vegas governed by Rupert Giles with an American accent, and allied with the Archangel Michael, who lives atop Caesar's Palace and has orgies.

I'll give it a few episodes and see if it's worth watching the whole season.

EDIT: Oh, and there was a suicide bomber angel. Go figure.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 20, 2014

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

While not exactly a "SyFy" show, Lost Girl has gotten away with quite a bit of risky scenes and almost-nudity for years. But yeah, Dominion definitely pushed the boundary quite a bit farther there (and on a night where Defiance preempted it with not one, but two handjobs, no less! :v:). It was a funny moment for me, because as soon as the scene started, I had already started mocking the stereotypical "locker-room full of man-rear end" scene, and lo behold, they go equal-opportunity with it just a few seconds later.

Definitely seconding that it wasn't that bad for a pilot- of course, it could still easily nosedive into a sea of poo poo at any moment, but what was there in the premiere was inoffensively entertaining as far as I was concerned.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had.

Also, it's really worth it because despite the reality show's general nature,

Yeah it's that last sentence that's the problem. I remember watching earlier seasons and just giving up when it got beyond the auditions and on to the ridiculous ways of deciding who stays and who goes.

As ever, I'll give it another try though. I'm a sucker for something to watch in the Summer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The challenges this year seem to be comedy, just new styles. Not the weird Apprentice type stuff they used to do.

They've shown a sketch show and a roast in the previews.

Yoshifan823 posted:

There's a couple. I've seen Rocky Laporte and DC Benny around a bunch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hedrigall posted:

I dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet but they're currently auditioning contestants (as far as I can tell that website's legit but it could be fake I guess) for a second season of Whodunnit. I hope there are other goons who loved that wacky, ridiculous show as much as I did last year :allears:

Why would they bother auditioning contestants for what is essentially serialized dinner theatre aired in prime time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how is this Chelsea Handler Netflix talk show supposed to work exactly?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

So how is this Chelsea Handler Netflix talk show supposed to work exactly?

Who cares, as long as it means she's not on regular TV anymore where I might see her by accident.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had

LCS has been surprisingly good this season. Most of the contestants have been funny and there haven't really been any gimmick auditions and the judges have been great (Roseanne is actually a good reality show judge...who knew?). I almost didn't bother watching it because the last few seasons that aired were awful but after being off the air for four years this season has been great so far.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
AmericanEducation.gif

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

AmericanEducation.gif

It's so beautiful! :swoon:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

AmericanEducation.gif

Tangent: I swear to God, on my old phone I had a picture of a "Do Not Enter" sign, and written in Sharpie on the white bar was "ME FROM BEHID."

The sign was right outside an elementary school. God dammit I wish I still had that picture.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Irish Joe posted:

AmericanEducation.gif

I find it much more depressing that there is a market for this kind of television show than it is for someone not to notice a trick question on a fast paced game show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

I find it much more depressing that there is a market for this kind of television show than it is for someone not to notice a trick question on a fast paced game show.

Where does it still come on? I remember it came on Fox like 5-6 years ago and got cancelled after like a month, and then it got re-tooled for kids and put on Cartoon Network when they were doing that big push for lovely live-action programming, but I didn't know it was still airing even on there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Netflix just added it. The game is hilariously stacked against fat people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fat people suck at everything including eating competitions.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Fat people suck at everything including eating competitions.
Yeah, skinny people actually loving steal it at eating competitions. But then again they probably don't digest most of what they shove into their mouths.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kobayashi wouldn't have stood a chance in the Glutton Bowl. Maybe he can inhale 100 hot dogs but let's see how bad he is when pig brains or bowls of plain mayo are thrown in the mix.

Don't sleep on fat people.

Because they have enough trouble sleeping, you see, what with the sleep apnea and all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Don't sleep with fat people either

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Don't sleep with fat people either

Stop posting in this, or any other TVIV thread until you're at least halfway done with the rest of your Toxx or I will count it as a failure. It's gone on for a long time now and it's time to get it finished.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Posted hours before it was announced what he'd be busy with. Godspeed. (Apologies for an image that might break tables.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rectify is a really good show you guys.

Last night's season 2 premiere made me think very good things are coming and season 1 wasn't just a fluke. Ray McKinnon is a hell of a writer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, what's he busy with?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Wait, what's he busy with?

He's directing two Star Wars films.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's directing the Episodes 8 and 9 of Star Wars.

Also I didn't know there were going to be spin off movies. They already announced like two additional Star Wars on top of that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am getting so sick of these star wars!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

He's directing two Star Wars films.

Oh. Well he's a good director, so that's good I guess.

• Locked thread