Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
This is great, cheers. That said, any chance of a spoiler-heavy version too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

People are already attacking the text adventure thing, but personally I think it's great.

Well, another way this was handled was on-screen animations like in Wasteland 2, but those tended to be rather sparse in terms of what actually happened on screen. It didn't take you out of the action, and sometimes worked really well, but at the same time with some imagination these screens would work out quite a bit better, especially if sound effects and appropriate music are added.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

GreyPowerVan posted:

People are already attacking the text adventure thing, but personally I think it's great.

People on the Kickstarter page? The forum? Lots of people or just some really vocal individuals?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

What's your opinion on the animations GWG? Sadly, it seemed to be the sore point for many previews, while the rest of the visual presentation was almost unanimously praised. Also, how busy did the the interface look in combat, considering there are apparently two bars hovering over the characters?

I have no idea what they're talking about, unless they wanted isometric Skyrim or something. I think they flowed together really well, weren't repetitive, and worked for what they needed to be. I mean, remember the Infinty pedigree. They're meant to illustrate an action taking place in an RPG, not be interpretive dance. I'm sure they could have been more elaborate, but nothing I saw ever made me think there was anything wrong or out of place about them.

And I might do a super-spoiler walkthrough of what I saw. Got a bunch of stuff to do today, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cool, thanks for the info. :)

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Completely understandable why they'd blow through the dialogue in an environment like a 20 minute E3 demo, but given the emphasis on text in the past updates that's kinda funny. More than one of the journalists sounded like they wanted the demo to slow down so they could read more.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im reminded of the part in NIER where the game goes from a hack n slash and turns into a text adventure that was plot essential, complete with a "boss fight" and a key item drop and it ruled hard :allears:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Scorchy posted:

Completely understandable why they'd blow through the dialogue in an environment like a 20 minute E3 demo, but given the emphasis on text in the past updates that's kinda funny. More than one of the journalists sounded like they wanted the demo to slow down so they could read more.

I understand too, but certainly count me among them. I can read fast, I'll say "next" or "go" or something, just give me more than a tenth of a second. :sweatdrop:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
What color were the selection circles?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This is an awesome writeup. Could you expand more about the little things that you saw, like the aforementioned selection circles, or the general feel of the game? Something that you wont really see in an article from a game journalist.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Sensuki posted:

Do you recall the race/class of the other companions? Calisca is a vailian name I think.
Calisca is a fighter.
Hoedan is a rogue. Both seem to be only temporary companions. See gameranx preview.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well this all sounds tremendously good, which isn't exactly a surprise but is still nice!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope there's a gangs of cannibals or slavers like in New Vegas. I liked how you can unceremoniously kill or disgust party members in New Vegas and you didn't have to wait until the end of the game to do it like Carth Onasi.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Video interview with Sawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5en0VJr-qo

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Kotaku posted:

But without the trappings of D&D, the folks at Obsidian were able to create their own lore, ditching the liches and half-orcs for a world full of enemy species with names like Glanfathan and Skuldr. Someone had a lot of fun coming up with this stuff.

:allears:

The CYOA style animated texts sound really fun. I was under the impression they were single screens with a possible event => pick an option => result, but do you actually navigate through them in multiple pages?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Polygon preview

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Has it been stated whether the results are fixed or randomized in the CYOA events?

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Someone left a hilariously sad comment on that article.

"No romance options is a serious enthusiasm killer for me. I know it’s not important to most people, but to me it’s one of the things that makes WRPG’s worth playing. I was really hyped for this too…hopefully someone mods some in post launch."

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Has it been stated whether the results are fixed or randomized in the CYOA events?

I don't want to come across as a dumbass, but...how could the results be random? Like, you make a skill check, for example, and either you pass it or you don't.

Or do you mean like you roll dice to make skill checks, so the pass/fail or degree of pass/fail is randomized or fixed?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I guess random wasn't the correct word but more like multiple possible outcomes. Partial success skill checks vs fully successful checks that give even better results for example.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Don Mega posted:

"No romance options is a serious enthusiasm killer for me. I know it’s not important to most people, but to me it’s one of the things that makes WRPG’s worth playing. I was really hyped for this too…hopefully someone mods some in post launch."

Someone else said it before me in the Dragon Age: Inquisition thread, but... Do these people not realize that Visual Novels are a thing that exist?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Keeshhound posted:

Someone else said it before me in the Dragon Age: Inquisition thread, but... Do these people not realize that Visual Novels are a thing that exist?

That requires reading and non-cinema.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

want dat Obsidian hoodie :allears:

I really like the idea of the little narrative sketches. It seems like it would make the experience feel more personable than twenty seconds of pre-rendered CGI (the ones in BG1 are just awful). Also like that you get to fill in a bit of backstory at the beginning, though I wonder if it effects the plot or is otherwise pure flavor. Either way, the roleplayer in me is all kinds of excited.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Don Mega posted:

The best part is that he has an anime name/avatar and the three replies to his post are people telling him he's dumb for wanting token romances.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

These people want stats and combat to come with their romances so that they can feel like a hero.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The MSJ posted:

These people want stats and combat to come with their romances so that they can feel like a hero.
Also movies. Video games should be movies. Obviously.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

An SA games thread going all "those people" is pretty funny

Anyway, how many months do we have before the backer beta, 3? 4?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Okay, super duper spoiler edition. Don't look if you don't want to know how the first bit of the game goes.

I ain't playin' with you No for reals Okay, if you're sure.The title screen is actually the first pane of the intro cinematic, and it pans up through some starting text which was unfortunately skipped. I saw nothing of character creation, because it was just loaded straight into a demo version which had your character as a wizard. It cuts to a storybook scene of a caravan going through some ruins and having to stop because you feel sick. The wagon breaks for camp, and the caravan master sends people on odd jobs. You can talk to the people around the camp, and they're doing things and walking paths and firing idle animations, and in that instant I was right back in college playing planescape for the first time and seeing everyone bustling around the markets. Ropekid says we can talk with everyone, but he only talks with the shopkeeper. In a more in-universe version of Arcanum's opening, we're allowed to switch out our starting gear for "Nearly whatever starting gear you like" he says, which I assume must mean that all the starting equipment for each class buys and sells for a silver or something.

We get sent off to harvest some local herbs that will stop our fever, though I admit I was disappointed you weren't at all weakened or down a few HP at the start. I suppose hobbling the player right out the gate isn't the best idea, but I'd have liked some representation that we're kind of messed up enough that it necessitated stopping the entire caravan in hostile territory. We get a tagalong companion, whose name I forget, but she's good with a blade apparently. On our way to find the herbs we need, we pass the guy assigned to get water, and he's having a smoke break just outside camp. Again, we could talk to him, but Sawyer's on a mission, so he just zips past the guy. It was weird to see an NPC en route to a task just taking a smoke break, for some reason. Maybe just the mundane plausibility of it, that instead of needing a key or a bridge lever switched or whatever, he's just a lazy sot who would rather smoke. I guess it is weird, given how far up themselves so many RPGs are these days, but it feels like it shouldn't be.

Anyways, a little ways to the west, and hey, we have our first real fight, with some wolves. Josh even chuckled a little bit when he said it, much in the same way a crate was the first thing you saw in Half Life 2, embracing the cliche' either as an act of defiance or, as Gabe Newell said, "Throwing ourselves on the mercy of the court." In any case, the fight was over quickly as he demonstrated the defender ability the girl had. After the fight, the companion start up a conversation praising your skills somewhat and asking how you got them. Answers ranged from being in the war, being a mercenary, being a person bodyguard, an adventurer, a thrill seeker, or just telling her to mind her own drat business.

We head back to camp and see smoker-dude's waterskin just left on the ground and figure he's just off being a loser somewhere, so we pick it up and head for the river, where another storybook scene plays, showing us getting the water, seeing jerkoff stumble into view, and him falling over with an arrow in his back. There's sound effects, music, and a teeny bit of animation, but it still seems very cinematic and pitch-perfect in tone with everything else. We're the immediately ambushed, and this was an interesting bit: Just like D&D flanking rules, with enemies on both sides the warrior girl couldn't use her "defender" power. Ropekid had his wizard cast some sort of paralysis spell on one of the mooks to crowd control, and then cast his Arcane Veil spell to help him take hits. And let me tell you, that thing's not a long spell. Like, if you know you're about to be in trouble, you pause and fire that thing up. It's not a spell you start as soon as combat begins and expect to coast through on its buff.

So that small combat over, they race back to camp and find nearly everyone dead by the hostile people everyone knew was there buy you just had to stop because you couldn't keep your orifices corked overnight. Way to go, hero, you whiny little bitch.

They've got someone held hostage, and here's where one of the first "Big" dialogue choices of the game happens. There were like ten different dialogue choices to resolve it, or at least progress it, including lore, athletics, might, and others. Nearly all of them had some sort of reputation modifier, from a "Cruel" one for saying "Go ahead and gut him so long as you let us go", to a "diplomatic" one for calling them by their proper tribal name and trying to explain yourselves. One thing I noticed was that some of the checks were really low- you only needed one "Lore" skill to know their tribal name- whereas some were really high, like a 14 might needed to intimidate them. I don't know how feasible such a score is when you've just started at level 1, or if there's some sort of New Game + option, but given the numbers I was seeing on the rest of the skillcheck options it seemed very, very high compared to other skills.

Ropekid picked an "Athletics" skillcheck, which wasn't my first thought for a wizard, and I didn't actually catch the number or the text afterward ( :argh: ) but it worked enough for the hostage, a rogue-type, to not get his throat slit. It wasn't enough, however, to let him escape injury altogether. A fight broke out with the rogue on our side, and he started with a "wound", which I think was a little green downward-pointing triangle. I'll be honest, I was so rapt on the visuals and mechanics I barely was cognizant of the UI. I noticed portraits with bars next to them, like in Planescape, and that was fine for me. I remembered seeing dots and bars and circles, but I honestly couldn't tell you anything about them with any sort of clarity.

Anyways, once they're dead we're treated to a combo of storybook pages and in-engine cinematics, when something he called a "Soul Wind" races through the camp and literally rips the souls out of everything dead and dying. You rush for the shelter of a nearby cave, but something snags the rogue, and you're left with the first multiple choice storybook page, of "Run back to save him" or "Help open the ruins and trust he'll make it free." Super spoilers, if you leave him to it he dies right there. An interesting thing, though, is that the "Save him" choice was specifically "Hurl a bolt of energy at the creature", which seems pretty wizard-specific. I'm wondering if there will be any other risks involved if you've got a warrior or rogue there instead of a ranged-combat class.

SO you get inside, and a few steps in you've got another conversation, this time involving both the rogue and the warrioress. The rogue, obviously, would like to take a breather owing to his wound. The warrior, on the other hand, wants to keep goign right away, wound or not, and if you side with the rogue the warrior just says "Peace out" and heads ahead on her own. If you continue on with her, the rogue bitches, but he at least stays in the party.

Unfortunately, that was about when I had to head out, much as I didn't want to, but I got a call that led to this beautiful thing, so I'm broken up about having to leave early, but it was worth it and it's nothing we won't see in a few months anyhow. Still great to be able to see early.

Thanks to David from Paradox, and our own Ropekid of course. I've never been more confident of a kickstarting pledge being the right idea as I am with Pillars of Eternity, and I think when it comes out people are going to realize just what they've been missing from modern RPGs even if they never knew it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That's one hell of a write up :allears:
Thanks!

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

quote:

I admit I was disappointed you weren't at all weakened or down a few HP at the start. I suppose hobbling the player right out the gate isn't the best idea, but I'd have liked some representation that we're kind of messed up enough that it necessitated stopping the entire caravan in hostile territory.

I agree. A visual indicator (ie status effect) would be good, even if it was fake.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 20, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

People on the Kickstarter page? The forum? Lots of people or just some really vocal individuals?

Random people in the news story comments.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

drat dude, you are everywhere. I've never seen a post of mine cross-pollinate so many forums so quickly. :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Don Mega posted:

Im sure there will be plenty of mods on the level of the Imoen Romance Mod a few weeks after release.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway, how many months do we have before the backer beta, 3? 4?
Gamersglobal preview said that Obsidian wants to start backer beta this summer. So it is 2-3 months before backer beta starts.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

prometheus12345 posted:

Gamersglobal preview said that Obsidian wants to start backer beta this summer. So it is 2-3 months before backer beta starts.
unless it gets delayed

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

GetWellGamers posted:

drat dude, you are everywhere. I've never seen a post of mine cross-pollinate so many forums so quickly. :v:

:)

and yeah, depends on how they go. They'd want to get those attack and ability/spell animations and FX pretty solid before they show anything, or risk a host of complaints.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

GetWellGamers posted:

One thing I noticed was that some of the checks were really low- you only needed one "Lore" skill to know their tribal name- whereas some were really high, like a 14 might needed to intimidate them. I don't know how feasible such a score is when you've just started at level 1, or if there's some sort of New Game + option, but given the numbers I was seeing on the rest of the skillcheck options it seemed very, very high compared to other skills.
Thanks for the summary.
Might is an attribute and not a skill like Lore. Having an attribute on Level 1 higher than 14 isn't unusual in D&D.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
With Wasteland 2 coming out soon has Obsidian said anything about the backer reward free copy?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Eddain posted:

With Wasteland 2 coming out soon has Obsidian said anything about the backer reward free copy?

They're working on giving out the beta keys (now that they've been extended to all WL2 backers) but no word on the full copies yet. I assume we'll hear more about those near August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Eddain posted:

BAdler posted:

Hey, everyone. As you may have heard our good friends at inXile have announced that they will be giving beta access to all of their Wasteland 2 backer tiers. This is great news and we are really excited for them.

As a reward in some of our Kickstarter tiers, our backers were offered a retail digital download of Wasteland 2. For those folks we are currently working with inXile to offer those backers early beta access to Wasteland 2, as well. We will keep you updated on when we can offer you those keys and how you can redeem them.

Stay tuned.

http://pedevtracker.azurewebsites.net/Post/View/27520

• Locked thread