Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Twilight Princess had some of the best pieces of LoZ in the series. Midna is probably the best companion, Stallord is one of the best bosses, items like the double hookshot and the spinner are some of the best items, the ability to turn into a wolf in a Zelda game is a pretty sweet idea, Ashei, Yeto and Yeta are some of my favorite NPC's in the series. But it gets dragged down by other stuff, like the items not having much use outside the temples you get them in, a tutorial stage that takes too long, wolf form being kind of weak, "you earned a rupee" messages, weird chicken people, etc.

The wolf form should have definitely been more developed. If it could use the special moves you learn from the Golden Wolf and got a damage boost maybe 3/4ths of the way through the game, it would have been far more interesting. I'd also have liked it better as an item, so you could pop in and out of it quickly. I mean, you get an item that lets you use the form voluntarily, but Midna decides to hold onto it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Links Awakening is one of my least favorite games. I have no idea why it gets so much love. I can only assume nostalgia because I played it as an adult with no past history.

It's very limited but it has a lot of okay humor and the dungeon design was pretty clever, given their limitations. I played all the handhelds that I've played fairly recently, so I don't have the nostalgia going for me (my fiance and I are trying to play through all the games together in order). I think LA is kind of a fun blend of the original game and ALLtP while incorporating some interesting mechanics. The Oracles also have some pretty good dungeon design, but the minigames are terrible and the way the randomize rings and seed drops is downright infuriating. Plus the plot is a bit on the sillier side, even for Zelda.

Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures were weird little games, but even those, you can kind of see what they were trying to go for. We're currently stuck on The Minish Cap, because we're both just kind of exhausted of trying to track all of the poo poo that you can find in order to 100 percent it. The Capcom games have a lot going for them, but Christ do they get grindy at points.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Geostomp posted:

To change the topic before I end up starting a full fandom war by typing something stupid, how about that new Dynasty Warriors thing? I know it's supposed to be some alternate universe, but how is it supposed to work? Are there going to be dungeons still, or just mowing down scores of enemies with flashy attacks?

My only experience with Dynasty Warriors-style games are a couple Sengoku Basara games, so if it's anything like that it's pretty much just mowing down armies with flashy attacks. Fine by me, honestly, I'm way more interested in Hyrule Warriors than the new Zelda so far. Mowing down moblins before the final bosses of Skyward Sword was pretty much my favorite part of it, so an entire game that's more or less just that sounds pretty cool in my books.

Nihilarian posted:

But it gets dragged down by other stuff, like ... weird chicken people, etc.

Cuccos are the best part of Twilight Princess actually.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I played the oracle games next to LA and they outshined it a lot. I think it was the horribly aged mechanics. item switching constantly was a pain. The trade quest could get pretty obtuse. But worst off was the notification messages.

People bitch about SS. About Navi. How does bumping a object without the bracelet attached and getting a wall of dialog not get brought up every time?

LA was the worst of that Zelda trend (which is bad in all of them) by far the worst and I had to struggle to finish it. Also let me tell you about the new feature of this compass...

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 19, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Cuccos are the best part of Twilight Princess actually.

They're the Oocca you racist!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Something Awfuls Forums > Discussion > Games > Zelda Megathread: Every Zelda is The Worst Zelda

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

The Something Awfuls Forums > Discussion > Games > Zelda Megathread: Every Zelda is The Worst Zelda

Its true, and false and subjective.

I bring up hating LA because of the goon worried about getting poo poo for not liking LBW.

I Love SS and think the controls are the best in any Zelda, and hate LA. Not exactly the goon group think opinions.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Its true, and false and subjective.

I bring up hating LA because of the goon worried about getting poo poo for not liking LBW.

I Love SS and think the controls are the best in any Zelda, and hate LA. Not exactly the goon group think opinions.

It's ok, I love LA and hate MM. It's me, I am the monster.

I was in the water dungeon in MM, and in the middle of playing I just stood up and turned the game off and never played it again.
I can't think of any other big first party game that I have done that with.

(I totally agree with that post up there about the text walls in LA though, that owl can burn in hell!)

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 19, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geostomp posted:

To change the topic before I end up starting a full fandom war by typing something stupid, how about that new Dynasty Warriors thing? I know it's supposed to be some alternate universe, but how is it supposed to work? Are there going to be dungeons still, or just mowing down scores of enemies with flashy attacks?

Hyrule Warriors.

The levels are still very much like Dynasty Warriors levels, they're big fields with valleys and bridges connecting them. It will look very Zelda (Hyrule Field and Castle are a level) but it will be designed very DW, because this is a DW engine game, and mechanically it plays like DW, so Zelda dungeons would make no loving sense.

Its still about two big armies clashing, and you being one "officer" of one army, who leads charges and tries to improve troop morale by kicking major rear end and completing objectives.

That said, there are still puzzles which require you to loot items from chests, so they're adding some Zelda elements on top of the standard Dynasty Warriors engine. The E3 demo showed a golden chest where Zelda did the whole "you got the bombs!" stance and everything, and then used those bombs both against an opponent and in order to blow something up, opening up a passage to continue the assault.

But this is very much more like a Zelda mod for DW than a DW mod for Zelda.

Mostly its just gonna be mowing down enemies with flashy attacks, that's the whole genre.
Although some of those enemies will be Zelda bosses.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 19, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

All Zelda games are good and fun. All of them also have glaring flaws and bad decisions, much like all games.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

All Zelda games are good and fun.

I agree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Hyrule Warriors.

The levels are still very much like Dynasty Warriors levels, they're big fields with valleys and bridges connecting them. It will look very Zelda (Hyrule Field and Castle are a level) but it will be designed very DW, because this is a DW engine game, and mechanically it plays like DW, so Zelda dungeons would make no loving sense.

Its still about two big armies clashing, and you being one "officer" of one army, who leads charges and tries to improve troop morale by kicking major rear end and completing objectives.

That said, there are still puzzles which require you to loot items from chests, so they're adding some Zelda elements on top of the standard Dynasty Warriors engine. The E3 demo showed a golden chest where Zelda did the whole "you got the bombs!" stance and everything, and then used those bombs both against an opponent and in order to blow something up, opening up a passage to continue the assault.

But this is very much more like a Zelda mod for DW than a DW mod for Zelda.

Mostly its just gonna be mowing down enemies with flashy attacks, that's the whole genre.
Although some of those enemies will be Zelda bosses.

The Zelda bosses are fought like Zelda bosses. You kill King Dodongo by tossing bombs into his mouth. (or fighting him normally but that is slower.)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A long time ago I had the chance to play DW 4 with the extreme expansion and I think that a Zelda themed version of this would be completely my poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

The Zelda bosses are fought like Zelda bosses. You kill King Dodongo by tossing bombs into his mouth. (or fighting him normally but that is slower.)

I would not assume that just because you could throw bombs into dodongo's mouth dude. You're making a huge assumption.
Like maybe, but nothing about what I said implies you wouldn't do it that way. But we also don't know for a fact it does work that way. Or did I miss something in the E3 video where they said that? I mean we barely got to see much of it. Mostly just Link and Zelda smashing a bunch of moblins over and over.

I mentioned you get the bombs from a chest and use them to blow up bridges and stuff, there are Zelda elements. Beyond that we don't know.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The real question is, who should you not pursue in Hyrule Warriors?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I think Ganon/Ganondorf is the obvious Lu Bu, but who knows. We haven't even seen the full roster. I guess Demise would work fine too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I would not assume that just because you could throw bombs into dodongo's mouth dude. You're making a huge assumption.
Like maybe, but nothing about what I said implies you wouldn't do it that way. But we also don't know for a fact it does work that way. Or did I miss something in the E3 video where they said that? I mean we barely got to see much of it.

I mentioned you get the bombs from a chest and use them to blow up bridges and stuff, there are Zelda elements. Beyond that we don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtkWw0t0gjs&t=256s

There are bombs being chucked into a dodongo's mouth right here, and earlier in the video they kind of show that just beating on the dodongo does very little, so I don't think it is an unsafe assumption that bosses or super enemies are fought in a more traditional Zelda-ish way. Plus there was the dragon in the E3 preview.

Judging from this trailer, each character has multiple available default weapons, too.

KittyEmpress posted:

Happy Mask Salesman.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

KittyEmpress posted:

Do not pursue Nabooru.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like maybe, but nothing about what I said implies you wouldn't do it that way. But we also don't know for a fact it does work that way. Or did I miss something in the E3 video where they said that? I mean we barely got to see much of it. Mostly just Link and Zelda smashing a bunch of moblins over and over.

I literally played the game at E3 and was told that was how they designed the bosses. There is even a special mechanic in place for it. It's very similar to Storm Rush in Dynasty Warriors 8: When you stun a boss, they fall over and there is a 'stun meter.' Attacking them during this time lowers the meter. It usually takes 2-3 cycles of hit weak point-attacking to empty the meter. Once it is empty your character does a special attack which insta-kills them. It's straight up the Zelda "stun enemy, hit them to damage, repeat" mechanic translated into Dynasty Warriors.

Regular "officer" enemies also have a similar mechanic where they can expose a weak point after attacking or when you attack them in a certain way, and damaging them enough while it is exposed unleashes a special attack very much like Storm Rush.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 19, 2014

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I literally played the game at E3 and was told that was how they designed the bosses. There is even a special mechanic in place for it. It's very similar to Storm Rush in Dynasty Warriors 8: When you stun a boss, they fall over and there is a 'stun meter.' Attacking them during this time lowers the meter. It usually takes 2-3 cycles of hit weak point-attacking to empty the meter. Once it is empty your character does a special attack which insta-kills them. It's straight up the Zelda "stun enemy, hit them to damage, repeat" mechanic translated into Dynasty Warriors.

Regular "officer" enemies also have a similar mechanic where they can expose a weak point after attacking or when you attack them in a certain way, and damaging them enough while it is exposed unleashes a special attack very much like Storm Rush.

Game sounds better and better every time I read more.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
There's also stuff like having to get the hookshot in order to cross broken terrain, but also unlock events so as to bring bosses down to a fightable level.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Suspicious Dish posted:

Gonna be honest here, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to notice the light, because when I warped back to the ice place and found it was all frozen over, I just said "ugh, nope" and didn't go back into the dungeon. They could have telegraphed that better. Or designed it better (give you a song to melt the ice after you beat the dungeon, play it at any point.)

This is pretty smart, and I could see it being implemented in the MM3DS remake. A "kill the boss" song for each area after you complete the dungeon the normal way, to make all the post-dungeon quests easier to do on future cycles. And you can save actually refighting the bosses for a boss-rush mode or something.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
That sounds so much better than Storm Rush, where in DW it basically only exists because Officers block everything and whailing on them for 10 seconds to trigger it is the only way to really start combos on higher difficulties if your moveset doesn't have good guard breaking moves and a good launcher.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It definitely looks more like a Zelda mod of DW than the other way round, but it looks like a mod that was done with a lot of care and reverence.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
When Wind Waker originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it but now it is remembered fondly. Lame graphics, Celda, SAILING IS SO BORING, Great Sea is so empty, etc...

When Twilight Princess originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it but NOW you are starting to remember it fondly. This is the first time I've really seen this sentiment take a stronghold. TP came out in 2006, so that's been roughly 8 years. What happened to the tacked on "waggle motion controls" that weren't one to one. All those horrible forced tutorials. What about the "save Hyrule squad" that did nothing. What about the NPCs who have no depth whatsoever? What about the numerous plot holes?

When Skyward Sword originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it and you are STILL cruel to it because it is too fresh. Fi talks too much, tutorials suck, too much text, Skyloft is lame.

Give it 8 more years and you'll be loving Skyward Sword. You'll have about 2 newer Zelda games to be gripey about and be like hmmmm Skyward Sword wasn't so bad. I hope this thread can still be found in 2022 so we can see my prediction come true.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 20, 2014

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Spectacle Rock posted:

When Wind Waker originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it but now it is remembered fondly. Lame graphics, Celda, SAILING IS SO BORING, etc...

When Twilight Princess originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it buw NOW you are starting to remember it fondly. This is the first time I've really seen this sentiment take a stronghold. TP came out in 2006, so that's been roughly 8 years.

When Skyward Sword originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it and you are STILL cruel to it because it is too fresh. Fi talks too much, tutorials suck, too much text, Skyloft is lame.

Give it 8 more years and you'll be loving Skyward Sword. You'll have about 2 newer Zelda games to be gripey about and be like hmmmm Skyward Sword wasn't so bad. I hope this thread can still be found in 2022 so we can see my prediction come true.

Your prediction is called the Zelda Cycle. And its not new and not yours.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe different people have different opinions about different Zelda games that they express at different times, which is how human opinions and individuality work in general.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Your prediction is called the Zelda Cycle. And its not new and not yours.

This is really a thing? Dang. This is the first I've heard of it. I thought I had just discovered something deep and thought provoking. My bad.

So, I guess we are all stuck in the Zelda Cycle then. I can't believe this is a thing already :( I googled "Zelda Cycle" and it is a thing.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 20, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also I immediately liked Twilight Princess but most of those complaints (the do-nothing squad, the empty-feeling world) are real problems that it has.

And WAY TOO MUCH SAILING is still a legit complaint, they've just fixed the problem with the HD version by allowing you to go twice as fast.

I figure I'll be saying the same thing about Skyward Sword in a few years that I have said in this thread about it, namely that it has some significant problems but was a pretty good game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Spectacle Rock posted:

This is really a thing? Dang. This is the first I've heard of it. I thought I had just discovered something deep and thought provoking. My bad.

So, I guess we are all stuck in the Zelda Cycle then. I can't believe this is a thing already :( I googled "Zelda Cycle" and it is a thing.

Yep, and the creators are totally aware of it and joke about it.

Also I didnt mean to come off so dickish, you are totally right!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I still like Skyward Sword a lot more than Twilight Princess so clearly the Zelda Cycle isn't real. :colbert:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I talked to someone in 2006 who didn't like Twilight Princess, but then I talked to a totally different person in 2014 who says they DID like it. What's up with this dang Zelda Cycle?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

When Wind Waker originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it but now it is remembered fondly. Lame graphics, Celda, SAILING IS SO BORING, Great Sea is so empty, etc...

When Twilight Princess originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it but NOW you are starting to remember it fondly. This is the first time I've really seen this sentiment take a stronghold. TP came out in 2006, so that's been roughly 8 years. What happened to the tacked on "waggle motion controls" that weren't one to one. All those horrible forced tutorials. What about the "save Hyrule squad" that did nothing. What about the NPCs who have no depth whatsoever? What about the numerous plot holes?

I watched the cycle happen even though I always liked all of those Zeldas. My little brother hated WW and now it's his favorite.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I watched the cycle happen even though I always liked all of those Zeldas. My little brother hated WW and now it's his favorite.

Agreed. I love most Zelda's but I can remember Wind Waker being the non-stop butt of jokes only to be remastered to universal fanfair.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nihilarian posted:

Did he play the HD remake? It'd make sense if some people that didn't like it changed their minds after playing the remake.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I loved TP when I played it. Not as much as WW (I still love WW's art style sooo much), but I was surprised to see some time later that people really hated it on the internet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Blackheart posted:

I loved TP when I played it. Not as much as WW (I still love WW's art style sooo much), but I was surprised to see some time later that people really hated it on the internet.

People on the internet are dumb as hell and want the same game over again, not a new game. When its time for a new game they want that game they didnt want again. Zelda Cycle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be fair, Twilight Princess, of all of the games, is definitely the one that's the most of the victim of just trying to be the same game as their most successful one. I really like it, I can't not (it and Windwaker have my favorite final fights with Ganondorf), but if people dislike TP, it's not because "they just wanted the same game."

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The Zelda cycle is bullshit for me.

I loved OoT and still do.

Liked but didn't adore MM but after I grew older and understood the story better it grew on me.

I'm not nearly as high on WW as many people here are. I think the dungeons were boring and the sea had to much copy/paste going on, and getting places grew tedious (you should be able to warp to any square you have "mapped", not just a few select ones). There weren't enough dungeons. But its still a great game and the combat was my favorite in the series.

I loved TP when it came out and I still love it. If anything my opinion has hardened on it a bit, but I'm still a big defender.

Links Awakening owns bones and so does LTTP. The oracle games were boring and I never finished them. I haven't played Zelda 2, LBW, or the DS games. Minish cap was eh. Zelda 1 is dated and annoying to play.

Skyward Sword sucked rear end and is the first time I've ever finished a zelda game and felt unhappy. It was everything I didn't want outside a few sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I have a lot of fun when I play video games, especially Zelda games.

• Locked thread