Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How much extra money do you think James Shields has made just because his name rhymes with "game"? It's in the millions, right? If he went by Jim people would look at him way differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

MourningView posted:

How much extra money do you think James Shields has made just because his name rhymes with "game"? It's in the millions, right? If he went by Jim people would look at him way differently.

"Big Win" Jim!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

A pitcher named Homer is worth over 100 million. Clearly Slim Jim Shields would be making 150 million+.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Please take this time to consider voting for J.D. Martinez into this year's All-Star game, thanks

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Based on that, how much should Outman be paid?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sotar posted:

Based on that, how much should Outman be paid?

More than Grant Balfour or Eric Plunk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Storm posted:

Please take this time to consider voting for J.D. Martinez into this year's All-Star game, thanks

I conidered it for about half a second before laughing does that count?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I prefer my players to come with a built-in pricetag.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010

Krigen posted:

Felix Hernandez gets another 'no decision' today on a quality start because the M's are a stupid team with no offense that can't give him run support. :(

Same goes for Cashner. Poor guy.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

I conidered it for about half a second before laughing does that count?

He's the only thing we have going for us anymore. :smith:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Tigers pitchers struck out 0 batters today, before Joe Nathan struck out the side to get the save.

In other news, it is opposite day.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Grandma was awesome.
http://www.webcitation.org/5yvmTYCkx

He got his name because his grandmother liked unique and unusual things and, with a last name of Million, she wanted her grandson to stand out. She talked his parents into naming him Ten for that reason. When the daughter of Ten and Christine was born, the grandmother bribed Christine with $50 into naming her Decillian Million for the same reason. Later on, Decillian began to use the name Dixie but in her early years she was known as Decillian Million, daughter of Ten Million.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tony Phillips posted:

Grandma was awesome.
http://www.webcitation.org/5yvmTYCkx

He got his name because his grandmother liked unique and unusual things and, with a last name of Million, she wanted her grandson to stand out. She talked his parents into naming him Ten for that reason. When the daughter of Ten and Christine was born, the grandmother bribed Christine with $50 into naming her Decillian Million for the same reason. Later on, Decillian began to use the name Dixie but in her early years she was known as Decillian Million, daughter of Ten Million.

Man, I'd hate to be named "Dicks a Million" which is exactly what that would have sounded like.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

This is the first time I noticed it, but it's really handy that baseball reference provides the age of death calculaed to the thousandths of a year!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think it's years.days.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I guess that makes a little more sense, but still funny that someone would find that to be valuable information

fluffer muffle
Oct 15, 2010

RE: RUN SUPPORT

bawfuls posted:

15 K's (career high) no walks, only baserunner reached on a Hanley error in the 7th.

Oh yeah, and don't look now, but the Dodgers are only 4 games out of first place and it's still June.

Dodgers are heating up just as the Giants take their annual June vacation from winning games.

That was a hell of a no-no.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My dad has all the luck. Last night was the 3rd no-hitter he's seen in person.

The first was Koufax's perfect game (at age 12) and second was Ramon Martinez in 1995. I was at the first ~5 innings of the Martinez game but I got really sick and he had to take me home (I was 10). Dad drove back to the game to catch the final several innings himself.

He had an extra ticket last night too, I could have gone but I live 2 hours away and it was just another Wednesday night game...

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

tadashi posted:

No. The Rays got a player with an all-star ceiling with 6 years of control, 3 of which will come around the league minimum. The Royals created a black-hole in right field last season for themselves and got a pretty good pitcher with 2 years of control at 22.5 million. They won't be able to keep Shields around unless he agrees to a very team-friendly deal if he keeps pitching like this. It's not an even trade even if it helps them get to the playoffs this year. There were at least a few pitchers in free agency last season they could have signed for not a ton of money who would have allowed them to keep Myers and made them more competitive. Instead, starting in 2015, they won't have Shields and they won't have Myers.

Also, Shields is a good pitcher now but definitely not an ace. He's 45th in ERA among qualified starters and his peripheral numbers aren't that great.

James Shields has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball over the last three years. Not top 10, but probably just below that. If you don't define that as ace-level, your definition of an ace is stupid, and that's not even getting into using ERA in mid June as a measure of talent.

(even so I agree it wasn't really a good trade because the Royals weren't on the cusp of contention, and he's not going to push them over the edge)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
James Shields wasn't even the best pitcher on his own team when he played for the Rays what are you talking about

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

James Shields threw a pretty cool haymaker at Coco Crisp once that was neat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
James Shields ERA+ the 3 years before KC traded for him: 75, 134, 109. Definitely ace material right there

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Looking at the year-by-year top 10s of ERA+ reminded me of Mike Sirotka and now I'm sad. :( Big Game James does it again.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I don't remember Royals fans here being particularly happy. Maybe my reaction tinted my memory. I just remember my wife had to talk me out of swearing off the Royals entirely when I read the news. Goddamn, I still get mad about that trade when I get drunk, even if Shields has been pretty effective.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Considering Myers was a huge part of their team down the stretch last year and KC got like 5 more wins than they would've without Shields, and that they more or less had to win the world series both years they had him to win the trade, no they are not even

Monicro fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 20, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

I was at the first ~5 innings of the Martinez game but I got really sick and he had to take me home (I was 10). Dad drove back to the game to catch the final several innings himself.

do you literally live inside dodger stadium because otherwise this is not possible and your dad is a liar

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RIP Gavin Floyd.

Just removed mid-inning with pretty nasty swelling in his elbow.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MourningView posted:

do you literally live inside dodger stadium because otherwise this is not possible and your dad is a liar
I don't remember because I was 10 and miserably sick. Maybe he took me home after like the 2nd, I dunno. But my understanding is he took me home and made it back for at least the final two innings.

We lived ~20 minutes away, it was 1995 so attendance wasn't that high, he had good parking due to season tickets, and the Dodgers scored 7 runs between the 3rd and the 6th.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 20, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
There are like 15 aces in baseball and Big Gim Jim is not one of them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

I don't remember because I was 10 and miserably sick. Maybe he took me home after like the 2nd, I dunno. But my understanding is he took me home and made it back for at least the final two innings.

We lived ~20 minutes away, it was a weekday in 1995 so attendance wasn't great, and the Dodgers scored 7 runs between the 3rd and the 6th.

Was you family car a helicopter? It takes like 17 hours just to get from the freeway to the parking lot there is no way. Lies. This is like all those people who say they saw Wilt score 100 points even though the game was played in front of 12 people in Hersey, PA.

But who knows maybe there was no traffic on a weekday night in LA. Also maybe he rode a unicorn.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 20, 2014

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MourningView posted:

It takes like 17 hours just to get from the freeway to the parking lot there is no way. Lies. This is like all those people who say they saw Wilt score 100 points even though the game was played in front of 12 people in Hersey, PA.
In those days it was actually really easy for us to get in and out of the stadium and parking lots. Attendance was lower then (30K on a Friday night compared to 46K that saw Kershaw last night) and we routinely made it from our house to our seats in under 30 minutes. Getting home was generally even faster.

Premium parking from season tickets and living north of the stadium combined to make it fairly simple.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 20, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
bawfuls, can you get on Google Maps to show us a satellite view of your former home and chart out the route to and from Dodger Stadium so that we can judge your dad?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mornacale posted:

bawfuls, can you get on Google Maps to show us a satellite view of your former home and chart out the route to and from Dodger Stadium so that we can judge your dad?

actually I totally can if we wanna be :goonsay: about it!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Mornacale posted:

Yes, and also a pdf of the stadium re-entry policy for the correct year. :)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

Man, I'm just making jokes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

MourningView posted:

Man, I'm just making jokes.

Pfft... Who is the liar now?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Gavin Floyd fractured his olecranon, and apparently that's bad since it's the first injury Joel Zumaya had.

:rip:

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Don't worry Gavin Floyd, I'll buy insurance from you.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

MourningView posted:

Also maybe he rode a unicorn.

Considering the man was awesome to witness three no-no's in person, anything else seems perfectly possible and I would be cool with him riding a unicorn to and from Dodger Stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Here's Gavin Floyd's elbow.

http://i.imgur.com/5tYZdgU.jpg

• Locked thread