Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Reminds me, I need to figure out where to get whatever parts my new-to-me 6hp 60 gallon CH compressor needs. The electrical side of things is definitely somewhat, ummm, "modified."

I bet ereplacementparts has em, but is there a better place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At some point, I need to sort out making something with the compressor I got off ebay.

It turned out it was a Tamrotor E6 screw compressor. It's rated at 158cfm max. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

At some point, I need to sort out making something with the compressor I got off ebay.

It turned out it was a Tamrotor E6 screw compressor. It's rated at 158cfm max. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Holy poo poo. You'll need a hell of a motor to push that thing to 158 CFM. Those are very nice and very expensive pumps.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cost me about £90, including an oil separator/cooler assembly and a drive gearbox - it was off some kind of utility truck, so there's a gearbox that went inline with the propshaft to give a PTO drive to it. I was looking for a PTO compressor to fit Land Rovers! Didn't realise what it was until I got it home and cleaned it up.

I'm thinking a small diesel engine may be my best bet for running it. A friend of mine used to design compressed air systems for factories etc, I'll see if I can rope him in to help - going to be at the tail end of my current project list, though, I don't actively need it. I'm not even sure if I may not be better to give it a clean up and sell it on - but who the hell to?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Power it with a Mini engine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Reminds me, I need to figure out where to get whatever parts my new-to-me 6hp 60 gallon CH compressor needs. The electrical side of things is definitely somewhat, ummm, "modified."

I bet ereplacementparts has em, but is there a better place?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/air-compressor-accessories_facet

I think they have everything, I don't know if they are more or less in price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jammyozzy posted:

Then build yourself a composed air powered car and charge it at home with this thing :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

According to the spec list I found, I think it has a maximum power requirement of 40bhp, so it would probably work. I figured a basic old diesel would be the best option, though.

Not sure how best to make it cut in/out when it hits the required pressure, things like that. I guess that's the downside of using a combustion engine rather than an electric motor.

Cakefool posted:

Then build yourself a composed air powered car and charge it at home with this thing :v:
...Or bolt the compressor onto something as a supercharger.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Gas power compressors use a valve that opens to release the pressure from the pump side so the engine only has to maintain idle once the tank is full. I can't remember the name. Dump valve maybe?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, ok, I'll see if it's fitted with one. With it having the PTO gearbox, I wasn't sure if it used that to engage/disengage the drive.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So what are you guys using for cutting fluid? I've got about a quarter inch of lame steel to put a few holes in and my bit is... not great. No access to a press either, unfortunately.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So what are you guys using for cutting fluid? I've got about a quarter inch of lame steel to put a few holes in and my bit is... not great. No access to a press either, unfortunately.

Rapid Tap or what ever lowes sells as cutting fluid for $10/quart.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Rapid Tap. Or, a Rapid Tap bottle filled with hydraulic oil because nobody can be bothered to order more. ATF works pretty good too. And I've used 10W30 with no issues before too. I can't say I've noticed too much of a difference, so I usually just grab whatever's close by.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ironically enough, we broke our sawzall cutting a miata chassis in half. I was going to buy a new one, but I grabbed a older Milwaukee off craigslist. It let me to wonder though, what are you guys using? Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Makita?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have a milwaukee corded for abusing things with. It has put up with an astonishing amount of abuse and still works, though the torque limiter is stripping out I think. The thing will drat near give a grown rear end man shaken baby syndrome if it jams in a unibody at full throttle and you have a good grip on it, be careful.

For cutting oil I use the stuff HD sells in the plumbing aisle as 1qt bottles of pipe thread cutting oil. If I can't find the bottle, I use anything from wd40 to gl5 75w140.

If the bit is already spanked it can only do so much, though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

oxbrain posted:

Gas power compressors use a valve that opens to release the pressure from the pump side so the engine only has to maintain idle once the tank is full. I can't remember the name. Dump valve maybe?

Unloader.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

That has the benefit that the female side of the swivel joint is on the drive side, not the handle - if it's going to go, it's most likely to be one of those ears tearing, and the drive component is cheaper to replace.

Yeah, that's the plan. The pin through is the designed weak point and new ones were available separately :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

If the bit is already spanked it can only do so much, though.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm probably going to hit up HD today and pick up a new bit and some fluid. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have this chuck, fits up to 13mm drills, that I bought for nothing in the hope I could mount it to my cordless drill, as it only accepts drills up to 10mm.

Unfortunately, it needs a "B16" tapered "mating" or whatever it's called. Can I get a B16 to 8mm hex or something adaptor?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

Ironically enough, we broke our sawzall cutting a miata chassis in half. I was going to buy a new one, but I grabbed a older Milwaukee off craigslist. It let me to wonder though, what are you guys using? Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Makita?

DeWalt, but not the new stuff. Some of it seems pretty flimsy.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

the spyder posted:

I swear I post the same thing every few months.

1) Go through your tools and find the one that draws the most CFM. You can now base what compressor you choose off it. Want to run air tools and paint? 5-8 CFM. Want to run a $199 harbor freight sand blaster? 10+ CFM.
2) Stay away from oil-free. I can't say this enough.
3) There's only a handful of compressor manufactures. Campbell Hausfeld is what you see at 90% of big box stores, including Home Depot, Lowes, and even Harbor Freight. They provide OEM pumps for several brands.
4) Watch out for over rating. Not only on the motors (5hp PEAK = 3.5hp running, always check the actual motor amps), but on the compressors too, I've seen some scamish "12cfm" peak bullshit the last time I was looking.

I could rant more, but I will make this quick. Don't buy a compressor from Sears, you will regret it. For $300 you can find a used 60gal Husky/Campbell on craigslist that's much, much better.

My girlfriend is getting her garage redone, and she and her landlord came to me for any quick ideas to make the garage a more usable space (:circlefap:) I suggested air compressor shop lines/outlets run through the studs before the drywall went in. The contractors thought it was a great idea and once I explained you could, in fact, "fill up your tires" with this mod, the landlord thought it was neat too. They nixed my hydraulic lift suggestion as too expensive, but I'm waiting to hear on a 240v line and power outlets in the rafters.

Anyway, it was a spur of the moment idea and now I'm wondering what gallon size compressor I should get for it? My only immediate usage plans are an impact wrench for an upcoming axle swap/suspension upgrade and assorted vehicle maintenance duty. I suppose I'd like to be able to paint a body panel with it someday when the occasion calls. Going by your list, I want a ~7 CFM 5+HP at 60gal or under? It's a two-car garage, but it's from the 1940s so it doesn't have a lot of extra space - I'd like to avoid something too massive. I wanted to run a line through the wall and put it outside, but the neighbors are like ten feet away and kind of pissy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm thinking of taking the hood of the Civic down to bare metal to fix all the tiny dents. Science (the internet) tells me a good orbital sander is what I need. Affordable options?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Buy a can of something called "aircraft remover", daub it on with a lovely wood-and-actual-hair paintbrush, and wait 20 minutes. Swab off with paper towels, scrub with solvent.

You need wood and hair brushes because that poo poo will eat a plastic paintbrush between the moment you dip it in the can and the moment you try and swab it on the hood.

I am not sure, but it should remove any and all body filler done by previous owners as well so you get a fresh start at bare metal. And it won't grind into the metal if you go too deep by accident.

E: this stuff http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/accessories/Rust-Oleum-32-oz-aircraft-remover/_/N-25uj?id=660022

Don't use it near anything painted/polymer/plastic that you want to keep.

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 15, 2014

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

InitialDave posted:

Ratcheting spanners are brilliant in certain situations, but I wouldn't put them first-tier on your shopping list, there are other tools more useful. Also, annoyingly, only metric ones seem to be available in the UK. I'm goign to try and get some imperial sizes when I visit the US.

Machine Mart have a set - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro40-5-pce-angle-head-ratchet-set I've got them for my old Land Rovers, not as good as my Halfords Pro metric set, but perfectly usable none the less.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

kastein posted:

Buy a can of something called "aircraft remover", daub it on with a lovely wood-and-actual-hair paintbrush, and wait 20 minutes. Swab off with paper towels, scrub with solvent.

You need wood and hair brushes because that poo poo will eat a plastic paintbrush between the moment you dip it in the can and the moment you try and swab it on the hood.

I am not sure, but it should remove any and all body filler done by previous owners as well so you get a fresh start at bare metal. And it won't grind into the metal if you go too deep by accident.

E: this stuff http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/accessories/Rust-Oleum-32-oz-aircraft-remover/_/N-25uj?id=660022

I can tell you from experience that nitriles don't protect for poo poo against this stuff. Double-stack them with PVA or at least normal clear vinyl gloves when handling the waste or your hands and arms will be sore as poo poo for 3 days. Methylene chloride metabolizes to carbon monoxide(among other things) in the body and the CO concentrates in the muscle cells first.

I've found Citri-strip to work really well on everything, you just trade a little extra wait time for the privilege of not worrying about poisoning yourself for a few days. Nitriles will stand up to it for about 30 minutes before you need to change them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What about fuckoff-thick rubber chem gloves?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Cool, is there a particular solvent I should use to scrub up so I don't create a noxious cloud of fumes? I'd rather not kill myself while doing this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is a chlorinated solvent, so avoid anything nitrated (ammonia is right out!) Or otherwise weird. Acetone would be a good choice, xylene might work but is way nastier than acetone.

I would not use brake fluid (which is great for removing some paints and rubberized undercoating) because brake fluid and some chlorinated chemicals like bleach produce a hell of a fire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Excellent, I have a can of acetone already.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

reddeathdrinker posted:

Machine Mart have a set - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro40-5-pce-angle-head-ratchet-set I've got them for my old Land Rovers, not as good as my Halfords Pro metric set, but perfectly usable none the less.
I want shiny ones! :haw:

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

DeWalt, but not the new stuff. Some of it seems pretty flimsy.

Porter Cable is the same way, their old power tools are AMAZING, and the new stuff is sort of ehh.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a specific reciprocating saw? I'm building a cat scratching post this summer, and need something that will cut through large, PVC tubing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't think anything is gonna struggle to cut through PVC, especially if you get the right blade. I've cut PVC with my lovely Ryobi saw and a dull metal blade no problem. I'd either get something that goes with your power tool battery collection or buy a Milwaukee depending on your budget.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a specific reciprocating saw? I'm building a cat scratching post this summer, and need something that will cut through large, PVC tubing.

A reciprocating saw is terribly overkill and will leave the ends looking like crap without the right blade and knowing how to use it. A simple $10 hack saw will run through a piece of 4" PVC pipe in under 30 seconds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly I usually use my miter saw for PVC conduit and pipe, but I rarely have to cut any PVC over 2-3" diameter. A regular hand saw intended for wood will cut large diameter PVC just fine, then clean the ends up with a file if you care.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

A reciprocating saw is terribly overkill and will leave the ends looking like crap without the right blade and knowing how to use it. A simple $10 hack saw will run through a piece of 4" PVC pipe in under 30 seconds.

Echoing this. Just get a decent fine-tooth blade and a cheapo hack saw will get the job done in no time.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

Honestly I usually use my miter saw for PVC conduit and pipe, but I rarely have to cut any PVC over 2-3" diameter. A regular hand saw intended for wood will cut large diameter PVC just fine, then clean the ends up with a file if you care.

I've cut a lot of PVC pipe this year (lots of 110mm soil pipe and 80mm guttering/downpipe) and always use my cheap compound mitre saw with its standard wood blade and a half round file to clean the swarf off afterwards. Works perfectly and you always get a proper straight cut (unlike doing it with a hand saw!)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I guess I can just go with a a hacksaw and lots of elbow grease. But I'll admit... it is very tempting to get my very first mitre saw. I just don't have much in the way of storage space. :(

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 20, 2014

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Is HF's "Go-Thru Socket Set" any good? I'd have to use them to get off some pretty low clearance camshaft retainer bolts so it's a pretty high torque situation as well. I'm just worried because the ratchets are 12 point instead of 6. They would save me a bit of money over my high-quality option, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

the spyder posted:

Seeing as how you used their brand name to describe the general idea of the thing, Milwaukee is probably the best.

jailbait#3 posted:

Splurge on the 110v DC (NOT the AC buzzbox) arc welder and auto-dimming helmet. It's tiny and makes great looking welds, unlike the fluxcore splatter machine. It's easy to learn; you should have the hang of it halfway through a box of rods.

Is that the tiny beige one? The tiny beige one has good reviews, I almost bought one until my brother gave me a lovely Campbell Hausfeld buzzbox he got for a one-time job and later bought me (and himself) a pair of midrange Lincoln fluxcore machines for Christmas.

If you're serious about welding and not just tinkering, get a 240V machine if you can power it. Much better than anything that plugs into a standard outlet, and even those trip the standard breaker at the highest setting -- every 110V circuit in your house is probably 15A, maybe 20A. The welder pulls 20A on its highest setting, and the outlet it's plugged into is probably on the same circuit as the lights.

Though if you're just learning, the little 110V ones are cheap enough to give away or sell for a pittance if you decide not to upgrade, and still handy for small jobs if you do upgrade.

kastein posted:

I have the FuBar. I honestly use my regular old 36" wrecking bars more, they're better suited to most jobs unless you just need to absolutely, indiscriminately wreck poo poo.

The FuBar is great when you have to twist slightly warped framing lumber into position with one hand while nailing it, though. Usually the shorter FuBar (yeah, I have both) is enough to make it comfortable, but occasionally the larger one works better.
Seconding the three-foot wrecking bar for general tasks, though I really want a Halligan to go with my fire axe (it was on sale for $20 at Harbor Freight, and an axe is always good to have around.)

jammyozzy posted:

There's always a big loving sledge for some percussive maintenance too
A three-pound drilling hammer (or a 4-lb engineer's hammer, if you don't have to fit it in a small toolbox) is the bee's tits.

Also a good buy: Stanley demo drivers. Y'know all those things you're not supposed to use screwdrivers for, like chisleing, prying, drilling, etc. but do anyway? They're built for it. Toolmonger's review sold me on them, in which they hammered one all the way through a 2x4, handle and all, with no damage other than a few scratches to the rubber grips. I've used them for prying, chiseling through small bolts (in conjunction with the 3-lb hammer), and as a non-marring hammer (hold it by the shaft and whack the thing with the handle; chews up the finish, but hey, that's just more grip) more than I've actually used them to turn screws.

4-lb hammer and Stanley Demo Drivers:

Another wonderful thing:

I have one for work, thinking of getting another one for the around-the-house tools.

InitialDave posted:

Yes, you should get a torque wrench for rebuilding stuff, but right now you'll be mainly stripping stuff, so I say prioritise getting the beefiest breaker bar you can find.

The big hammer is good in lieu of/in spaces too tight for a breaker bar, as long as you have ratchets with a good warranty. :v:

melon cat posted:

I guess I can just go with a a hacksaw and lots of elbow grease.
Very little elbow grease. For a cat toy, you'd either be cutting one big piece of pipe or maybe six little ones; either way, it takes about five minutes, including the measuring, loving it up, and redoing it. If you plan to use it in the future and need to justify it to the wife, sure, use it as an excuse to get a Sawzall or mitre saw, but if you're only cutting PVC just get a $10 hacksaw.