Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh, that might have to do with the fact that Milligan wanted to use Princess Di in the book but had to change her name to avoid offending literally everyone on the planet. Sounds like he went ahead and changed the name of England too, because sure why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Uthor posted:

In this case, Europa sure looks a lot like generic "England" and is home to a pop celebrity. Though the moon explanation did pop into my head at one point.

Is it the dead one? That was supposed to be Princess Di but Marvel changed it. Could be they altered it from England to a generic European country.

Edit: Beat.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is most notable for having an atmosphere of oxygen and is almost entirely covered in ice.

Europa has an incredibly thin "atmosphere," due to it being constantly bombarded by Jupiter's radiation. But it's far too thin for anything to breathe. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_%28moon%29#Atmosphere

It is completely covered in ice. All of its surface features are made of ice. You're correct that it has a liquid water ocean beneath the surface ice, and some of the oxygen from the ice probably gets into that water, making it sort of somewhat theoretically capable of sustaining life. The ice is probably a few kilometers thick at least, maybe a few tens of kilometers, which will make it very complicated to send a robotic sample mission capable of drilling down to the ocean to take liquid water samples.

Obviously though, if you are writing fiction (like for a comic book), this means there are almost definitely space whales on europa, and you can fly there and stand next to a hole and one will come up and visit with you while you breathe the oxygen and have a picnic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Obviously though, if you are writing fiction (like for a comic book), this means there are almost definitely space whales on europa, and you can fly there and stand next to a hole and one will come up and visit with you while you breathe the oxygen and have a picnic.

Haha, I remember when I was little I was dead keen on reading about the solar system, and I had one book (The Gobsmacking Galaxy) which humorously postulated what kind of life-forms could evolve on various planets.

My favourites were the Neptunians and the Tritonites: the aliens of Neptune are composed of pure electromagnetic energy, gamma rays and photons because it's too cold for a physical body, and the aliens of Triton are the same, except they all wear anaroks because Triton is even colder than Nepture. :D

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Somebody confirm I am not just making this up in my head but was there not a book that was a "realistic" look at Superheroes where the Superman stand in burned the words Liar into the presidents forehead? It was something war. I thought it was Cash War but that doesn't make sense.

This was like 12 years ago I think.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Somebody confirm I am not just making this up in my head but was there not a book that was a "realistic" look at Superheroes where the Superman stand in burned the words Liar into the presidents forehead? It was something war. I thought it was Cash War but that doesn't make sense.

This was like 12 years ago I think.

I googled it and this came up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yes... I am not crazy. I am terrible at finding things though was googling Cashwar and just getting nothing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If it makes you feel better, I was reading too quickly and read your title as "Car Wash", and thought that it was a particularly stupid name for a comic.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was looking through my old trading cards (inspired by the X-Men Legends episode of Watch Out For Fireballs) and came across this set, which I always assumed was based on a certain plotline. I can't find any information on it, though, and was wondering if it rang any bells with y'all. Sample images to save you a click:

I loved collecting this poo poo when I was 10 or 11. I've got some other sets from that time period as well, but those are the standard character profile things. This set is just weird.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

EC posted:

I was looking through my old trading cards (inspired by the X-Men Legends episode of Watch Out For Fireballs) and came across this set, which I always assumed was based on a certain plotline. I can't find any information on it, though, and was wondering if it rang any bells with y'all. Sample images to save you a click:

I loved collecting this poo poo when I was 10 or 11. I've got some other sets from that time period as well, but those are the standard character profile things. This set is just weird.

Most of those are covers from issues collected in this omnibus. Late-'80s/early '90s Claremont/Lee stuff.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most of those are covers from issues collected in this omnibus. Late-'80s/early '90s Claremont/Lee stuff.

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I remember a billion years ago reading a small one-off X-Men story about a girl who could manipulate the earth, like rocks and things. Would anyone remember her name and if she's appeared in other X-titles? I always thought her power was awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Armani posted:

I remember a billion years ago reading a small one-off X-Men story about a girl who could manipulate the earth, like rocks and things. Would anyone remember her name and if she's appeared in other X-titles? I always thought her power was awesome.

Thanks in advance!

This is possibly Petra, from Brubaker's Deadly Genesis. She was part of Xavier's first team to go rescue the original X-Men from Krakoa, who all died.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Badass Panels thread has recently shown a bunch of Superman/JLA pastiches in Marvel comics and most of them are pretty good and really get what makes the classic DC pantheon great. Are there any examples of the reciprocal from DC's side of things? I'm talking explicit references and not just old legacy versions from back when everyone was doing X, like Captain America/Guardian or the Fantastic Four/Challengers of the Unknown, but clear analogues like Superman/Hyperion.

Not only can I not think of anything offhand, but I'm expecting any examples from recent history to be some immature cheap parodies instead of the generally thoughtful character examinations/homages that Marvel seems to prefer when they look across the desk. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's mostly joke Captain America analogue that had some good inspirational moments with Guy Gardner, I believe. Most of the Marvel homages I can think of were from the JLU cartoon, which was really blatant about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

The Badass Panels thread has recently shown a bunch of Superman/JLA pastiches in Marvel comics and most of them are pretty good and really get what makes the classic DC pantheon great. Are there any examples of the reciprocal from DC's side of things? I'm talking explicit references and not just old legacy versions from back when everyone was doing X, like Captain America/Guardian or the Fantastic Four/Challengers of the Unknown, but clear analogues like Superman/Hyperion.

Not only can I not think of anything offhand, but I'm expecting any examples from recent history to be some immature cheap parodies instead of the generally thoughtful character examinations/homages that Marvel seems to prefer when they look across the desk. :(

Hank Henshaw and his crew were Fantastic Four analogues. It didn't end well.

Though Henshaw did end up fighting the FF in Superman/Fantastic Four.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's the Assemblers, who I believe featured in JLA around the same time one of the various Squadron Supremes appeared in Avengers (maybe late 1960s or early 1970s; around the time either Dennis O'Neil or Len Wein was writing the Justice League comic). In the 1990s, there was a quintet of bad guys called the Extremists: Lord Havok (Doom); Dr Diehard (Magneto); Dreamslayer (Dormammu); and two other guys who were based on Sabretooth and Doc Ock. I think they fought one of the decade's less well-regarded Justice League spin-off groups (maybe Justice League Task Force).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I think they fought one of the decade's less well-regarded Justice League spin-off groups (maybe Justice League Task Force).

Oh yeah, I forgot all about them. The Assembler's Silver Sorceress(Scarlet Witch) and Blue Jay(Ant Man) joined Justice League Europe.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's this year's big summer Marvel crossover?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unmature posted:

What's this year's big summer Marvel crossover?

Original Sin

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh yeah, the Watcher thing. How's that been so far? They seem to be digging it on Cape Crisis.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman. They end up in a parallel universe with a bunch of Marvel-esque heroes. It's a Mxyzptlk thing and I seem to recall it's good fun.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unmature posted:

Oh yeah, the Watcher thing. How's that been so far? They seem to be digging it on Cape Crisis.

I'm really liking it. It's a fun, ridiculous murder mystery and the event gimmick allows the tie-ins to be extremely varied as opposed to "We're all fighting the Hulk and losing!" or "We're all fighting Skrull imposters!" or "Our loved ones are space zombies trying to toy with our emotions!"

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

I'm really liking it. It's a fun, ridiculous murder mystery and the event gimmick allows the tie-ins to be extremely varied as opposed to "We're all fighting the Hulk and losing!" or "We're all fighting Skrull imposters!" or "Our loved ones are space zombies trying to toy with our emotions!"

I got caught up on it today and am also really digging it. I love that it's this super seriously told noir story with a bunch of goofy poo poo in it like glowing green bullets, an eye face villain and a murdered planet.

Which tie-ins have you read? I wanna check some out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was MJ made to forget her past with Peter after BND?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
No, she knows they were a couple and that he's Spider-Man. Their relationship stayed the same minus them being married.

Everyone else remembers everything they've known about Peter and/or Spider-Man except for his secret identity.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does everyone remember that they were married?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

So does everyone remember that they were married?

They were never married, as that was the whole point of OMIT. I believe they even specifically changed it in the novelization of Civil War (or something like that) they are committed to their gimmick.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In story their entire history was rewritten to them never having been married. If anyone knows, they'd have to be aware of outside the 616 universe. Maybe Deadpool?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah ok. So as far as both Pete and MJ know, they just broke up at some point in the past?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

Ah ok. So as far as both Pete and MJ know, they just broke up at some point in the past?

Yep, like I said, the arc One Moment in Time specifically focuses on this(after which they basically ignore it). It even has Peter go full on Newspaper Spider-man!

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 26, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So does Peter have any new girlfriends? He ever try getting back together with Betty Brandt?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There was Carlie Cooper, the greatest most bestest and awesome gal in the whole world!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Uthor posted:

In story their entire history was rewritten to them never having been married. If anyone knows, they'd have to be aware of outside the 616 universe. Maybe Deadpool?
Deadpool has mocked him for it at least once, so yeah, Deadpool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd assume Mephisto also knows.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I'd assume Mephisto also knows.

That'd actually be a great idea for a short story, everyone knows that when you make a deal with the devil it doesn't turn out great, but what if the devil changes history so hard he doesn't remember it. So there's a bunch of people begging him to change it back, but he has no idea what he did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not impossible that that was one of the secret extra conditions MJ whispered to Mephisto. Anyway, it's obvious Marvel brass realized how stupid an exit a deal with the devil was and isn't eager to revisit it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Mephisto doesn't know because officially MJ outsmarted him and undid a deal with the devil in a deal with the devil, so there is no longer a deal with the devil anymore but everything happened like there was a deal with the devil.

Don't worry if you are bleeding a little from your nose it's just your brain trying to figure that out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not counting future retcons or anything, did the early Avengers know Banner and Hulk were the same guy? I know for a while Iron Man pretended he was some unnamed body guard of Tony Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
For a while nobody knew, but they did know by at least Amazing Spider-Man Annual 3. (I think it's 3. The one where he tries to join the Avengers, and they tell him taking down the Hulk is his initiation.)

Edit: They didn't know when he was on the team, if that's what you're asking.