Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

:siren: A Goonrace is happening!! Sign up now!! :siren:

Super Mario 3D World is the hybrid successor to the New Super Mario Bros. Wii games and Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. It mashes up all the fun of dicking over your friends and throwing them into pits with all the fun of being in the third dimension! But you probably all knew that already, I mean come on now.

This LP started life when The T and majormonotone, internet BFFs forever, decided that meeting up so they could be losers in the same physical space was an important goal. So, in January of 2014, major and major's girlfriend, tetracontakaidigon Annie took a trip to the magical land of Orlando. Together with The T, they ventured into the Magical World of Disney™, and visited such exotic locales as the Magic Kingdom and Japan. And, naturally, they saved one day for recording horrible internet videos. Due to a series of audio issues that The T had been too lazy to fix, those videos have been sitting on The T's hard drive... until this day.

THIS IS THE STORY OF THOSE INTERNET VIDEOS.

Together with The T's internet-friend-who-coincidentally-happened-to-live-in-Orlando-and-therefore-is-convenient-for-being-in-videos-with-friend Seer, the 4 loaded up a variety of games, mostly the simple competitive multiplayer style, not really intending to do a whole lot of them. But then Super Mario 3D World entered the fray, and major insisted: We've started this game, we will finish it.

And so over the course of the next at least 9 hours of that day, many games were played. And Mario 3D World... might have been beaten?

Featuring in order of appearance:

PLAYER 1 | The T
Favorite Character: Peach
Least Favorite Character: Luigi
The T is a renowned Let's Race superstar who secretly might be bad at video games. In his free time, he plays only Sonic the Hedgehog games.

PLAYER 2 | Seer
Favorite Character: Rosalina (who does not appear in this LP)
Least Favorite Character: "statistically I'll do better than anyone else regardless sooooooooo"
Seer is the only person who has completed, or even played, this game before, which makes him a terrible person unsuited to be in this LP.

PLAYER 3 | majormonotone
Least Favorite Character: The T
major is really good at Mario 3D Land, they swear. Also full of owls.

PLAYER 4 | tetracontakaidigon Annie
Favorite Character: Green Pipe
Least Favorite Character: Flag Pole
Annie does not know what a Mario is, nor what this so-called 'third dimension' is, but she is excited to find out.

The rules are simple:
1. Random character. Always.
2. Always random. Always.

:siren: Live Streams! :siren:
3/14/2015 | The Inaugural Test T-Stream (with majormonotone and a bad audio mix!)
4/1/2015 | The Birthday Stream Part 1 | Part 2 (with majormonotone, CarpetCrawler, Dice, heytallman and Annie; and framerate issues in part 2!)
4/10/2015 | Pokémon Trading Card Game: Round 1 (with majormonotone)
4/15/2015 | Smash: Metwo Returns (with majormonotone and mateo360)
5/6/2015 | Wednesday Kart Smashing (with majormonotone for Kart and adding mateo360 for Smash)
5/9/2015 | Splatoon Global Testfire Solo! (Solo stream)
5/19/2015 | Pokemon TCG broke, so here's some random games (Divekick, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and DLC Quest, all with majormonotone)
5/23/2015 | Splatoon Global Testfibbage (Splatoon Global Testfire and Jackbox Party Pack, with majormonotone)
6/7/2015 | Fibbage and Drawful with major and Tetra! (Jackbox Party Pack)
6/22/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 1 (major plays Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I read fanfiction.)
7/7/2015 | Super Mario 64: 120 Stars or Bust! [Part 1!] (with majormonotone)
7/14/2015 | In Memory: Satoru Iwata (with majormonotone)
7/15/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 2 (major plays Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I am obnoxious.)
7/21/2015 | Super Mario 64: 88 Stars or Bust! [Part 2!] (with majormonotone; sorry about the audio levels not being great, but hopefully they're doable?)
7/27/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 3
8/4/2015 | Super Mario 64: 52 Stars or Bust! [Part 3!]
8/5/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 4
8/11/2015 | Super Mario 64: 24 Stars or Bust! [Part 4!]
8/18/2015 | Super Mario 64: 10 Stars or Bust! [Part 5!] (The finale!)

My Hitbox! Subscribe for more streams!
majormonotone's Hitbox! Also subscribe! major is cool!!

Like us? Check out our other works:

Note: If you want an informative LP, you're in the wrong place. You might want to look over here.

The T fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

Bonus Games We Should Have Played But Didn't:
Panel de Pon
Sonic Shuffle
A Real Fighting Game
Mario Kart
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
Sonic '06
Onechanbara? major: T I will kill you
Kinect
Dokapon Kingdom
Power Stone 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (multiplayer)
Pokémon Trading Card Game...?

:siren: Exciting charts by JavaJesus! Click here! :siren:

Fighting Games:

The T fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 5, 2015

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Four people and none of them have Toad listed as their favourite character. I don't think this LP is going to be up to my standards. :colbert:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

JordanKai posted:

Four people and none of them have Toad listed as their favourite character. I don't think this LP is going to be up to my standards. :colbert:

Toad sucks because he can't jump for poo poo. Obviously the best characters are Peach and Luigi because they can break platforming over their knees.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The T posted:

PLAYER 1 | The T
Least Favorite Character: Luigi
The T is a renowned Let's Race superstar who secretly might be bad at video games. In his free time, he plays only Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Voted 1 and reported to mods.

You monster

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Ometeotl posted:

Voted 1 and reported to mods.

You monster

I sent a letter to the FBI and rallied a church group of fellow luigiventists to march on the capital building to stop this horrible monster

All three of us.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vilemoon posted:

All three of us.

No need to be humble. Everyone loves Luigi! Just look at how well the whole Year of Luigi thing worked out for Nintendo!

http://www.avclub.com/article/year-luigi-generates-456-million-loss-nintendo-204364

Oh :smithcloud:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

JordanKai posted:

No need to be humble. Everyone loves Luigi! Just look at how well the whole Year of Luigi thing worked out for Nintendo!

http://www.avclub.com/article/year-luigi-generates-456-million-loss-nintendo-204364

Oh :smithcloud:

Irrefutable proof that Luigi is the worst character.

Holy poo poo, that is depressing though.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 30, 2014

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Hey guys thanks for linking our thread in your OP

but seriously I'm suing for plagiarism

my people will be touch

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys sorry, it's not my fault that Luigi is just objectively the worst and most boring character.

(Realktalk Luigi is totally fine and like Luigi's Mansion owns but I dunno I always preferred Mario as a kid and so I really did see Luigi as that second banana.)

Also gently caress bicycle kick jump.

Dex01 posted:

Hey guys thanks for linking our thread in your OP

but seriously I'm suing for plagiarism

my people will be touch

No problem, and now you are legally obligated to link mine in yours right that's how this works right what oh

also your people "will be touch"? Sounds like my kind of people. :mmmsmug:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Luigi moves too fast for the human eye to follow and slows himself for your benefit. He is like a Jet Luigi.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is everybody Super Mario USA-style different here, or is the roulette just to see who'll end up with floaty Peach?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Everyone is different, and they are indeed based on their SMB2 appearances.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Would you guys say that this game has more dickery potential than NSMB Wii/U or less?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Because the game isn't on a 2D plane, there's more room to maneuver and therefore it's a little harder to dick people over. We find ways, though.

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Would you guys say that this game has more dickery potential than NSMB Wii/U or less?

Definitely less dickery potential, though Nintendo does get rid of some anti-dicking strategies that NSMB Wii had.

The T
May 29, 2010

So I'm going to shoot for updating every Friday, let's see how long that lasts eh?

Unfortunately, the first part of this episode is the best thing in the whole LP. It all goes downhill from here, folks. (it's been a while since we recorded this I don't actually know if this is true or not please don't leave)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yes, supreme dickery potential, right here. Plessie had me dying. That was my experience with Plessie as well, even with just two people. It got to the point where I just sat there and let my husband do all the steering, because gently caress trying to collect everything any other way!

That piranha plant though. Just glorious.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Down to two lives by the first part of World 2... this will be delicious.

The T
May 29, 2010

ChaosSamusX posted:

Down to two lives by the first part of World 2... this will be delicious.

I... actually don't think that comes up as an issue? Game Overs don't really mean anything. It's a Mario game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The T posted:

I... actually don't think that comes up as an issue? Game Overs don't really mean anything. It's a Mario game.

He means that the fuckery in this LP is going to be great if you guys can manage to dick yourselves out of ten lives in a single world.

The T
May 29, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

He means that the fuckery in this LP is going to be great if you guys can manage to dick yourselves out of ten lives in a single world.

Hah! I feel dumb. Sorry ChaosSamusX. :X

The T
May 29, 2010

And now we're going to do something a bit different!

So, as I sort of alluded to, the original intention when we started playing Super Mario 3D World was... just to record us playing a bunch of random games and have fun. We never INTENDED to finish Super Mario 3D World...

But obviously, those random videos are still around, right? So might as well post them as ~BONUS VIDEOS~!!

This video actually came from a batch of recordings the day prior to "Mario Day". So because of that, Seer isn't in it!

I hope you enjoy how bad we are!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I have almost no idea what is going on in that game. :stare:

What even makes the blocks disappear?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

ChaosSamusX posted:

Orbs of the same color.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ChaosSamusX posted:

Orbs destroy blocks of the same color that they touch, along with any blocks of the same color that touch those blocks, and so on and so on.

ninja e: oh, and I think there was some kind of diamond that destroyed all blocks of the same color of the block it landed on, no matter where they were?

The T
May 29, 2010

Jeez guys I tried to explain it well enough in the video~

Am I really that boring to listen to? :v:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The T posted:

Jeez guys I tried to explain it well enough in the video~

Am I really that boring to listen to? :v:

why is there an empty post here

The T
May 29, 2010

Back to more Mario! The Bonus videos will probably show up about once every 2 regular updates.

At the end of this video is when the decision was actually made (by major) for us to LP the entire game. And so well here we are!

I'm also going to make a list of games we should have played but didn't end up playing, and update it periodically if we mention games:
Panel de Pon
Sonic Shuffle

The T fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 27, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Wait, you got 15 lives back for getting a near total party wipe?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ChaosSamusX posted:

Multiplayer Mario is harrowing and dangerous.

The T
May 29, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Multiplayer Mario is harrowing and dangerous.

A+ answer.

Also I would really love to see someone as spergy as me (but who has more free time) do something with the scores/collect stats on the game. I'd love to see how the scores played out over time.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ChaosSamusX posted:

When you run out of lives, you get a "continue" with five more lives. Multiply that by three (characters/players who died after there were no more lives left). It does the same thing in NSMBU.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

The T posted:

A+ answer.

Also I would really love to see someone as spergy as me (but who has more free time) do something with the scores/collect stats on the game. I'd love to see how the scores played out over time.
Here's a quick chart of the scores so far. I may or may not put some actual effort into making something better, but there's no reason I can't at the very least keep this chart updated.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Could you add cumulative scores to that chart?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

When you run out of lives, you get a "continue" with five more lives. Multiply that by three (characters/players who died after there were no more lives left). It does the same thing in NSMBU.

Oh, I understand the mechanics involved, I just thought that was a bit excessive and all too forgiving.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

ChaosSamusX posted:

Oh, I understand the mechanics involved, I just thought that was a bit excessive and all too forgiving.

The lives are meaningless anyway so it doesn't really matter V:v:V

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Here's a quick chart of the scores so far. I may or may not put some actual effort into making something better, but there's no reason I can't at the very least keep this chart updated.

I actually love this, but looking at it I do have to wonder... it makes it easier to compare scores from level to level, which isn't really... an interesting thing, since level lengths/possible scores can vary so significantly. I love the idea of easily being able to see how everyone compared on a given level, when compared to the next level, on and on like that though, so I'm not suggesting you throw it out or anything!

Also to be even more of a nerd, may I suggest making the colors be our favorite colors? :X Mine is red, major is purple (perfect!), Annie is teal, and I guess Seer is green because he always has a Link icon but I didn't actually bother to go ask him!

Also Summer Games Done Quick is just starting with Super Mario 3D World! See how people better than us play it.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Could you add cumulative scores to that chart?

The T posted:

I actually love this, but looking at it I do have to wonder... it makes it easier to compare scores from level to level, which isn't really... an interesting thing, since level lengths/possible scores can vary so significantly. I love the idea of easily being able to see how everyone compared on a given level, when compared to the next level, on and on like that though, so I'm not suggesting you throw it out or anything!

Also to be even more of a nerd, may I suggest making the colors be our favorite colors? :X Mine is red, major is purple (perfect!), Annie is teal, and I guess Seer is green because he always has a Link icon but I didn't actually bother to go ask him!

Also Summer Games Done Quick is just starting with Super Mario 3D World! See how people better than us play it.

Now that I'm back at my computer, I can fulfill these requests. First up, is the updated version of the original chart. I changed up the colors (I found a more purple-ish purple for majormonotone, but I can switch it back to the original if you prefer) and added a "gold" line showing the total score for the stage to hopefully make it more interesting on a per-level basis.

Next up is cumulative scores, showing that so far Seer has a pretty commanding lead with majormonotone and The T in a pretty close race for second place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetracontakaidigon
Apr 21, 2013

JavaJesus posted:

Now that I'm back at my computer, I can fulfill these requests.

thank you, these charts are perfect; I'm much better at looking at charts than I am at watching videos, and we all know the scores are what's really important here

e: but actually, charts are great!

• Locked thread