Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Peter Watts, it seems quite enjoyed Three Worlds Collide. Guy always struck me as having a lot of overlap with Yudkowshy, but instead of setting a mini-cult on his blog, he wrote some pretty good sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
And Watts is(was) an actual scientist, as opposed to someone who plays at being a priest of reason on the internet.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Honestly? I enjoyed Three Worlds Collide. I think the fundamental premise - An alien civilization whose morals are so alien to us that coexistance is impossible, and the only options are genocide or fundamentally changing what it means to be human - is interesting and well presented. Big Yud is a decent enough writer (I've certainly seen much, much worse dreck published)

But yes, the whole "spaceship AI run by 4chan" is really stilted and weird, and the "legalization of rape" comes of as a hamfisted attempt to show how human morals evolve over time. It doesn't even work, because he fails to show how the future society rationalizes why rape should be decriminalized, they just go "lol old people thought rape was bad".

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Honestly? I enjoyed Three Worlds Collide. I think the fundamental premise - An alien civilization whose morals are so alien to us that coexistance is impossible, and the only options are genocide or fundamentally changing what it means to be human - is interesting and well presented. Big Yud is a decent enough writer (I've certainly seen much, much worse dreck published)

But yes, the whole "spaceship AI run by 4chan" is really stilted and weird, and the "legalization of rape" comes of as a hamfisted attempt to show how human morals evolve over time. It doesn't even work, because he fails to show how the future society rationalizes why rape should be decriminalized, they just go "lol old people thought rape was bad".

Both stories are pretty cool imaginings of a first contact, with the characters having to grapple with a rapidly unfolding scenario with extraordinary consequences. Both make you think, what WOULD we do in that situation? I could have done without the sexual deviance stuff in either, but the real problem with Yudkowsky's is his characters are just utterly flat sock puppets for his lame moralizing/philosophy/rationality/whatever, and even lamer jokes

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
A small point, but he treats 4chan like some incredible breakthrough in human rationality, despite not knowing enough of it's history to know it should just be "chan".

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014
It should be noted that Peter Watts wrote a book, Blindsight that tackles the same sort of issues as the Yud's story, only it's not nearly as ham fisted. The big question from Blindsight is "what if you don't have to be conscious to be really dangerously smart?". There's also a lot of interesting versions of the Turing Test and the Chinese Room. Good book.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DEKH posted:

It should be noted that Peter Watts wrote a book, Blindsight that tackles the same sort of issues as the Yud's story, only it's not nearly as ham fisted. The big question from Blindsight is "what if you don't have to be conscious to be really dangerously smart?". There's also a lot of interesting versions of the Turing Test and the Chinese Room. Good book.

Blindsight! I've been trying to remember the name of that story for about five years. I can't speak to its depth or themes because I wasn't paying much attention, but it was a great read anyway.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Looking at the Less Wrong site rules, there's this:

quote:

The following topics are permanently and forever banned on LessWrong:

• Emotionally charged, concretely utopian or dystopian predictions about life after a 'technological singularity'. (Exception may be made for sufficiently well-written fiction.)
  • Arguments about how an indirectly-normative or otherwise supermoral intelligence would agree with your personal morality or political beliefs. (This says nothing beyond the fact that you think you're right.)
  • Trying to apply timeless decision theory to negotiations with entities beyond present-day Earth (this topic bears a dreadful fascination for some people but is more or less completely useless, and some of what's been said slides over into reinventing theology, poorly).

More ordinarily mind-killing topics like discussions of contemporary politics (e.g. Republicans vs. Democrats in the US) may be suppressed at will if they seem liable to degenerate into into standard internet flamewars. Discussion of pickup artistry and some gender arguments are on dangerous grounds - a passing mention probably won't be deleted but if it turns into a whole thread, the whole thread may well be razed. Ordinary downvoting usually takes care of this sort of thing, but the mods reserve the right to step in if it doesn't.

(Exception may be made for Yudkowsky's fiction, which by definition is well-written.)

Please also note: PUA. hahahahahahaha

Oh, and two rules up from that, there was a link to a TV Tropes article. Less Wrong: A Site For Smart People, That Links To TV Tropes

Additionally, regarding cryonics:

quote:

Someone hears about cryonics and thinks for 10 seconds and says, "But if you're frozen and then revived, are you really the same person?"

And if they happened to know all about quantum physics and could apply the abstract knowledge to real life, and they had followed the whole debate about zombies and resolved it against epiphenomenalism in general, then they would be able to visualize the braids in the river that never flows, and say, "Yes."

But this knowledge is not common.

So they die.

quote:

There are numerous other reasons that people seize on, when they search for a rationalization for a negative initial flinch against cryonics. And numerous other knowledges that would be required to answer those objections. "But wouldn't it be boring to live such a long time?" (Can be answered if you know hedonic psychology, and have developed a theory of fun, and can visualize accessible fun spaces that increase in volume with increasing intelligence.) "Why would future civilizations bother to revive me?" (Requires understanding either economic growth diminishing the cost, or knowledge of history and how societies have become kinder over time, or knowing about Friendly AI.) "Isn't it wrong to live so long?" (Requires knowing about the "sour grapes" bias. See also transhumanism as simplified humanism and the meaning that immortality gives to life.) Then there's the meta-knowledge of how to question all these deeply wise cached thoughts that pop into your head about the futility of life; and the ability to do things that might make people look at you weird, and so on...

Some of these are series of posts I haven't done yet. But if you anticipate updating your probabilities when you read those future posts, then you should update them now. Or, if you prefer, trust me:

If you would rather live happily ever after, than die, and you are willing to spend between $300 and $2000 per year(*) to express this preference, then sign up for cryonics.

If you've been cryocrastinating, putting off signing up for cryonics "until later", don't think that you've "gotten away with it so far". Many worlds, remember? There are branched versions of you that are dying of cancer, and not signed up for cryonics, and it's too late for them to get life insurance.

If you've been procrastinating, putting off accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior "until later", don't think that you've "gotten away with it so far". Anything is possible, remember? You could die tomorrow, and you wouldn't be saved, and then it would be too late for you to go to heaven.

quote:

If cryonics were widely seen in the same terms as any other medical procedure, economies of scale would considerably diminish the cost; it would be applied routinely in hospitals; and foreign aid would enable it to be applied even in poor countries. So children in Africa are dying because citizens and politicians and philanthropists in the First World don't have a gut-level understanding of quantum mechanics.
LessWrong: reinventing African missionaries, just with cryonics instead of Jesus.

On intelligence:

quote:

On the right side of the scale, you would find Deep Thought—Douglas Adams's original version, thank you, not the chessplayer. The computer so intelligent that even before its stupendous data banks were connected, when it was switched on for the first time, it started from I think therefore I am and got as far as deducing the existence of rice pudding and income tax before anyone managed to shut it off.

Toward the right side of the scale, you would find the Elders of Arisia, galactic overminds, Matrioshka brains, and the better class of God. At the extreme right end of the scale, Old One and the Blight.

I have no idea what half of those mean and I'm guessing that at least one of them is from an anime. One is from an obscure 50's fantasy book.

Also, more cryonics, why not?

quote:

What takes real courage is braving the outright incomprehension of the people around you, when you do something that isn't Standard Rebellion #37, something for which they lack a ready-made script. They don't hate you for a rebel, they just think you're, like, weird, and turn away. This prospect generates a much deeper fear. It's the difference between explaining vegetarianism and explaining cryonics. There are other cryonicists in the world, somewhere, but they aren't there next to you. You have to explain it, alone, to people who just think it's weird. Not forbidden, but outside bounds that people don't even think about. You're going to get your head frozen? You think that's going to stop you from dying? What do you mean, brain information? Huh? What? Are you crazy?

quote:

I'm tempted to essay a post facto explanation in evolutionary psychology: You could get together with a small group of friends and walk away from your hunter-gatherer band, but having to go it alone in the forests was probably a death sentence—at least reproductively. We don't reason this out explicitly, but that is not the nature of evolutionary psychology. Joining a rebellion that everyone knows about is scary, but nowhere near as scary as doing something really differently. Something that in ancestral times might have ended up, not with the band splitting, but with you being driven out alone.
Cryonics :biotruths:

quote:

There are a few genuine packs of iconoclasts around. The Church of the SubGenius, for example, seems to genuinely aim at confusing the mundanes, not merely offending them. And there are islands of genuine tolerance in the world, such as science fiction conventions.
The most free thinkers in the world: scifi nerds and people who 'follow' a monkeycheese religion.

quote:

Now me, you know, I really am an iconoclast. Everyone thinks they are, but with me it's true, you see. I would totally have worn a clown suit to school. My serious conversations were with books, not with other children.
"I would totally have done weird stuff. I just didn't, but it still makes me an amazing person high above all the mundanes."
"Also, I read a book."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Djeser posted:

The most free thinkers in the world: scifi nerds and people who 'follow' a monkeycheese religion.

More accurately: "The most free thinkers in the world: people who like what I like". But that's not even a notion unique to these guys.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Less Wrong: Because sufficiently advanced handwaving is indistinguishable from logic.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

quote:

So children in Africa are dying because citizens and politicians and philanthropists in the First World don't have a gut-level understanding of quantum mechanics.

What does this even mean? What does cryogenics have to do with quantum mechanics? And how would cryogenics stop a child in Africa from dying? It's just a way to preserve parts of your body in the hope that future generations will revive you.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

What does this even mean? What does cryogenics have to do with quantum mechanics? And how would cryogenics stop a child in Africa from dying? It's just a way to preserve parts of your body in the hope that future generations will revive you.

Yes but then they're not really dead (that is not dead which can eternal lie...)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mr. Sunshine posted:

What Yud's saying there is that children in Africa are dying because we in the Western world aren't willing to adopt cryogenics en masse.* Once we all realize cryogenics is a good idea, you see, economies of scale will cause cryogenics to be more easily and cheaply available, and by that point, we'd be able to fly to Africa and cryogenically preserve starving/HIV-positive African children so that they can be defrosted once world hunger/AIDS is solved.

See, that's the problem. Those kids are dying. Doesn't matter what they're dying of, that's irrelevant, because eventually we'll solve all our problems, and all we have to do is freeze ourselves and wait for the future to defrost us.

*The 'quantum mechanics' thing is because he argues that someone physically and mentally identical to you is actually the same as you, so even if it's only a copy of you that's revived, it's the same as you being revived. Yud doesn't believe in the idea that a copy of you is a separate individual, because quantum mechanics says that every particle of a given type is identical and indistinguishable, and everything that applies to quantum mechanics applies to macro-scale systems.

By the way, on the theme of 'Yud's dumb ideas would make for good scifi', now I'm thinking of a story set after a huge cryogenics revolution, where the remaining living people on Earth have to slowly shut down and dump all the cryo pods because they're using up all the natural resources, and they can't revive anyone because there's barely enough resources to feed the surviving population as it is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I cannot get that joke from the Venture Brothers with the general who had terminal testicular cancer launching himself into space with a piece of paper saying PLEASE FIX taped to his chest in order to get aliens to cure his cancer out of my head now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like how they really think most of the arguments against cryonics are based on "but isn't it WRONG to be this sweet-awesome?!" and abstract philosophical points instead of, you know, the copious empirical evidence that freezing a human body destroys the tissues well beyond any hope of revival? I realize all their arguments for it hinge on the existence of magical future superscience that will be able to resurrect cryonically-preserved bodies, but honestly, if you have technology that can turn those masses of ice and cell lysate into a conscious, memory-having person, we're operating on a level of technomagic that could presumably resurrect any of the dead. Cryonic corpses aren't any more capable of returning to life than dust in a box or ashes in an urn; they're just more person-shaped.

Really, it strikes me as another case of Less Wrong inadvertently recreating religious arguments. Needing to be cryonically preserved to be resurrected by the Future Technomagicians is just "no cremation because God needs you to have an intact body for the End Times" all over again, except made more pitiful by its insistence on being empirically based.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Antivehicular posted:

I like how they really think most of the arguments against cryonics are based on "but isn't it WRONG to be this sweet-awesome?!" and abstract philosophical points instead of, you know, the copious empirical evidence that freezing a human body destroys the tissues well beyond any hope of revival?

That's because it's Pascal's Wager for them.

Cryo works and you cryoed yourself? Infinite bliss in the technoutopia.
Cryo works and you didn't? You're dead and you missed out.
Cryo doesn't work and you did/didn't cryo yourself? You're dead and you didn't miss anything.

The only rational option is to choose to cryo yourself.

a normal person posted:

But all of our current knowledge shows that your body is basically unretrievable after cryo, even assuming future-tech.

ONLY RATIONAL OPTION SHUT UP LALALALA

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Does cryogenic freezing preserve the structure of neurons in the brain? If so then with some reasonable philosophical assumptions it's a much better bet for immortality than something that destroys them, even if the body as such is equally irrecoverable.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Peel posted:

Does cryogenic freezing preserve the structure of neurons in the brain? If so then with some reasonable philosophical assumptions it's a much better bet for immortality than something that destroys them, even if the body as such is equally irrecoverable.

I'm not an expert on this, but to the best of my knowledge, cryo does to neurons what it does to every other cell in the body: freezing that causes expansion of the fluids of the cells and resulting cell rupture, pretty thoroughly destroying the cell structure in the process. As far as I know, there's no evidence at all that cryo doesn't wreck the poo poo out of your brain, well beyond the point that any of it could be functional again, let alone preserve the personality and memories of the person involved. Of course, it doesn't help that cryogenic freezing generally happens after the body is already dead, so the brain tissue is probably pretty degraded even before the freeze.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Ideally, when you go into cryo, your body is frozen slowly enough to prevent the formation of ice that will rupture cells. There are certain chemicals that help that, but the issue with those chemicals are that they're toxins. But, presumably, the damage that the toxic human antifreeze does to you will be more easily repaired than the damage that your cells rupturing would do to you.

There's arguments that theoretically, if you preserved the brain perfectly soon after death, it could later be revived, but the main issue is that we don't know how we're going to revive anyone. The way it's 'supposed' to work is that eventually, we get better and better at freezing people until we can finally freeze them well enough to revive them later. Then, we start working back through the backlog, defrosting and repairing our poorly-frozen popsicles from earlier eras of cryonics.

That's how it's ideally going to work. Realistically, these cryo companies are going to go bankrupt and the corpsicles will get interred in nearby graveyards in the next 20-to-50 years.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's sometimes a big gap between the ideal situation and what actually happens:

quote:

Larry Johnson says in the book "Frozen: My Journey Into the World of Cryonics, Deception and Death" that he watched an Alcor official swing a monkey wrench at Williams' frozen severed head to try to remove a tuna can stuck to it. The first swing accidentally struck the head, Johnson contends, and the second knocked the tuna can loose.
:psyduck:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

There's sometimes a big gap between the ideal situation and what actually happens:

:psyduck:

Pfffffft, it's gonna take more than that to stop the benevolent AI from resurrecting me after I die. And even if it can't do anything with my physical body, it can create 3^^^3 simulations of me, and throw them all into a paradise which is totally not heaven because reasons. Checkmate, goons :smugbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The other question that isn't posed or answered (besides "does cryonics even work?") is "why would a future society want to thaw extra nerds? wouldn't they have enough nerds of their own?"

Apart from the occasional person whom historians or psychologists might want to interview, or whom microbiologists might want to study to assess changes over time in the human microbiome, I don't see the point.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

The other question that isn't posed or answered (besides "does cryonics even work?") is "why would a future society want to thaw extra nerds? wouldn't they have enough nerds of their own?"

Apart from the occasional person whom historians or psychologists might want to interview, or whom microbiologists might want to study to assess changes over time in the human microbiome, I don't see the point.

Because people in the future will be awesome, and naturally they would want to revive a person whose moral code starts and stops at 'let me live forever' An awesome forward thinker like myself.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

So what exactly is the point of cryonics if the future GANGSTER COMMUNIST computer god can just simulate 3^^^^^^^3 copies of everyone anyway, with no need for frozen brains?

There's also the fact that resurrected corpsicles will not know the language spoken in the future, or be familiar with the culture and technology. They would probably be second-class citizens, unable to fit in with mainstream society. I wouldn't want to be one, nor for society to deal with an influx of them. Getting your frozen head attached to a tuna can and smashed with a monkey wrench is better than that.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Assuming this future society actually has post-scarcity immortality, would the years/decades you spend adjusting to the supposedly alien society even matter? I would think you could adapt well enough to get your basic needs met (or have them met for you, more likely) while you learn how to use the new hover bikes, watch interactive ultraporn, and speak Chinglish v3.5a.

A society that actually can unfreeze dudes and would actually bother to do so probably also has programs set up for not dumping them into a new and inhospitable world all at once.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

Assuming this future society actually has post-scarcity immortality, would the years/decades you spend adjusting to the supposedly alien society even matter? I would think you could adapt well enough to get your basic needs met (or have them met for you, more likely) while you learn how to use the new hover bikes, watch interactive ultraporn, and speak Chinglish v3.5a.

A society that actually can unfreeze dudes and would actually bother to do so probably also has programs set up for not dumping them into a new and inhospitable world all at once.

Ooooor it could be like in Transmetropolitan, where they just unfreeze people and kind of leave them culture shocked and useless out in the real world.

"Your will only said you wanted to be revived when we have the technology to cure what killed ya in the first place, so we did. And all the money you had saved up went to reviving you, so good luck with the outside world. Now get the gently caress out of here, I got twelve more heads to revive and one of them has a can of tuna on it for some reason."

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Don Gato posted:

Ooooor it could be like in Transmetropolitan, where they just unfreeze people and kind of leave them culture shocked and useless out in the real world.

"Your will only said you wanted to be revived when we have the technology to cure what killed ya in the first place, so we did. And all the money you had saved up went to reviving you, so good luck with the outside world. Now get the gently caress out of here, I got twelve more heads to revive and one of them has a can of tuna on it for some reason."

Even Transmetropolitan had a (admittedly lovely) system for dealing with those people. Everything else was also way lovely unless you were rich, too.

I don't actually think everything would be super awesome like Yuddies seem to expect, but horrible dystopian nightmares seem off too. I think if it were to ever happen, it would be around the same as a non-English speaking immigrant moving to The USA would be.

If things really were that unbearable, you could still kill yourself and you wouldn't be much worse off than when you died the first time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think the idea is that revival is part of the service you purchase.

So it's even more stupid, because you're meant to trust a sleazy corporation to not go broke and to buy up cutting edge technology to resurrect you.

I mean if they don't, what are you going to do, sue them from beyond the grave? Hope your descendants in 1000 years' time still remember you?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

So it's even more stupid, because you're meant to trust a sleazy corporation to not go broke and to buy up cutting edge technology to resurrect you.

I mean if they don't, what are you going to do, sue them from beyond the grave? Hope your descendants in 1000 years' time still remember you?

Well I think the idea is that cryogenics becomes such a staple of human civilization that screwing over the corpses would be declared illegal, sort of like modern day graverobbing or medical malpractice. Which I guess isn't that unreasonable. If the last five generations froze themselves, including our parents, you would certainly want to make sure the companies treated them properly and if the technology is developed to thaw them, hold up their end of the bargain.

Still doesn't solve the problems inherent in immortality.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Strategic Tea posted:

Which is loving hilarious, considering the track record of cryonics as an industry to date. One of the early cryonics dudes wrote a (mostly unintentionally) hilarious book about his experiences.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Djeser posted:

Ideally, when you go into cryo, your body is frozen slowly enough to prevent the formation of ice that will rupture cells.

I'm going to be a horrible pedant here,but you want the body frozen quickly, not slowly. If you can move a substance past its freezing point quickly enough and too a low enough temperature, it won't form ice crystals, because the individual molecules are very cold (and therefore moving very slowly, too slowly to rearrange themselves into ice-crystals in a reasonable period of time.)

Anyway, on cryonics:
The best technology available today messes up something as small as a rabbit kidney. The 'successful' transplant of a kidney resulted in the rabbit losing something like 1/5 of its weight, and after a month it was drinking less and urinating less (symptoms of kidney failure, not surprisingly). The researchers declared success, claimed the rabbit could live indefinitely (in reality, its serum creatinine, a marker of kidney function, was high enough that death was probably imminent), and euthanized it in order to study the kidney. They found that the kidney was messed up, their best guess was cracking/fracturing had damaged it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781097/

So what can we learn from our rabbit kidney?
1. In half an hour of cooling the kidney had substantial damage from a probable fracture (it was only below the glass transition for a few minutes). This damage was not readily apparent from inspection. What does this mean for humans at cryonics facilities? The kidney was kept just below the vitrification temperature for only a few minutes. Human brains are kept at liquid nitrogen temperature for years. Liquid nitrogen is substantially colder than the kidney ever was. As an object gets colder, it gets more brittle. And being frozen for decades is lots of time for little bumps (mechanical stress) to turn into large fractures.

2. Despite top of the line cryoprotectant, the kidney had some damage from ice crystals. A rabbit kidney is way smaller than a brain, and as objects get bigger surface area grows more slowly than volume. This makes large objects harder to cool quickly- you dump them in the cold, and the outside freezes nice and fast, but the middle takes longer to cool. If the kidney had some ice crystal formation, a brain almost certainly will.

So basically, even if you grant cryonicists most of their assumptions, they're still mushifying brains.

Of course, they believe "molecular nanotechnology" will solve all of their problems. Molecular nanotechnology is, of course, the transhumanist word for magic. I'll maybe write a post about the ridiculousness of the nanotech-catchall if I get bored later. (nanotech is literally at the core of every transhumanist argument about the future).

su3su2u1 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 21, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

su3su2u1 posted:

I'm going to be a horrible pedant here,but you want the body frozen quickly, not slowly. If you can move a substance past its freezing point quickly enough, it won't form ice crystals, because the individual molecules are very cold.

That's not really pedantry, is it? That's practical advice. It's the reason why you should always chill your food in the fridge before throwing it in the freezer, so it wont be as prone to freezerburn.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
My favorite sci-fi cryogenics ref. is from one of the Books of the New Sun. In the far far far future, an ancient, subterranean cryo facility is looted for parts by scavengers, and the perfectly preserved corpses are tossed on a garbage heap with all the rest of the useless trash.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 21, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Alastair Reynolds writes a lot of SF involving cryo and similar technologies. People that go into the chambers typically end up dead, with amnesia or brain damage, destitute and adrift in a world where their former wealth means nothing, or completely dissociated from the normal flow of time.

Imagine how insufferable a Yuddite would be if cryogenics worked exactly as advertised, and they decide to wake up every 50 years or so to play tourist.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

su3su2u1 posted:

Of course, they believe "molecular nanotechnology" will solve all of their problems. Molecular nanotechnology is, of course, the transhumanist word for magic. I'll maybe write a post about the ridiculousness of the nanotech-catchall if I get bored later. (nanotech is literally at the core of every transhumanist argument about the future).

This is just because nanotechnology is the "next big thing." It's similar to the cold war Era craze over nuclear power and space exploration, since those were the big new technologies of that Era.

If these people were around 50 years ago, nuclear power would solve all our problems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There actually was a big nootropics singularity craze back in the day.

Basically, chemists develop drugs which make you smarter, which means they're better chemists, et cetera.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Basically, chemists develop drugs which make you smarter, which means they're better chemists, et cetera.

And all of this assumes that intelligence is scalable or can be graphed like a linear equation. Whether it's chemicals or self evolving machines there is an assumption underlying all of these futurist transhumanist fantasies. We have no reason to think that intelligence works this way, let alone that you can maintain some type of conscious human intelligence through any of these systems.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

quote:

And there are islands of genuine tolerance in the world, such as science fiction conventions.

Shut the gently caress up.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ArchangeI posted:

Well I think the idea is that cryogenics becomes such a staple of human civilization that screwing over the corpses would be declared illegal, sort of like modern day graverobbing or medical malpractice. Which I guess isn't that unreasonable. If the last five generations froze themselves, including our parents, you would certainly want to make sure the companies treated them properly and if the technology is developed to thaw them, hold up their end of the bargain.

Still doesn't solve the problems inherent in immortality.

Launch 'em to space to terraform and colonize star systems. Even reluctant immortal folk will all eventually be like, "you know what, gently caress it, send me up" given enough centuries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Tunicate posted:

I'm pretty sure thats just how you play morrowind

• Locked thread