Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Stack size is most important for train viability, loading 750 ore or 1500 plates is pretty slow 1 or 2 at a time, but pretty speedy 4+ at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Kenlon for next thread OP writer whenever that happens.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know, I don't see an Logistics bots in that layout, seems a little fishy to me.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't know, I don't see an Logistics bots in that layout, seems a little fishy to me.

My only use of logistics bots at this point are in the roboports integrated into my defensive perimeter for repair. The sheer size of my base means that forming a contiguous robo-net will require something on the order of two hundred 'ports to cover the central parts of my factory, and belts provide me with more than enough throughput to do everything. And, to be honest, I've been focused pretty much entirely on figuring out how to maximize production density this game, so I didn't get around to even starting to build bots until very recently. Having to reconstruct my entire core factory to find places to put the 'ports also holds no appeal. (This is also the reason why almost everything is still connected by medium power poles rather than having swapped to substations.) Bots are very handy when clearing new territories, though, since I can use deconstruction plans to wipe out swaths of forest and then build walls in quickly without having to manually walk things forward in the teeth of biter waves.

I am going to be rerouting things a bit so that I have a 'robodepot' of provider chests with all the various factory outputs I am producing at the moment, so I can use logistics bots to request things in the field. I'll probably branch that off from the main bus shortly, now that I have my conveyor/inserter production lines fully in place. The other thing I'm in the process of doing is replacing all belts with express belts, as the inefficiencies inherent in my current depot layout are causing some problems maintaining throughput on all products with only fast belts.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 18, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Manually filling chests to produce anything just seems like an enormous hassle.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

FISHMANPET posted:

Manually filling chests to produce anything just seems like an enormous hassle.

For 95% of things, I don't have to at this point. It's only for things that I either a) only need a small quantity of and haven't integrated into my bus yet (like robot frames) or b) places where I can't be arsed to fix terrible layout decisions made early on (like the iron plates for sulfuric acid).

Once I have that robodepot set up, I probably will use logistics bots to supply small-scale stuff, since I'll only need to re-engineer small amounts of my base to get 'port coverage in those areas.

EDIT: Having power armor 2 plus four exoskeletons slotted makes the little bit of running around to top off chests trivial. And even before that, the ctrl-click trick for emptying my entire inventory into a chest made it pretty painless. Drop a smart chest, open it, ctrl click an open space in inventory and all inventory goes into the chest. Also useful to top off everything you have in your toolbelt, since it tops off your belt first when you ctrl-click everything back from the chest to your inventory.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I really hope they add a portable construction roboport one of these days soon. If not as a power armour module maybe as a car addon. It's just busy work setting up the port + chest + power on a new base.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Hey if you own this game and have not taken a turn in the Factorio LP :getin:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642000

We need like 11 more players to make it threw with no one taking more than one turn.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
.10.1 is out - anyone know if the turret bug is fixed? That's the one that's kept me from upgrading.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Kenlon posted:

.10.1 is out - anyone know if the turret bug is fixed? That's the one that's kept me from upgrading.
Allegedly, but I never experienced it.
code:
Bugfixes:
• Fixed bug when turrets were not shooting.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had the bug in the beginning of my game, but then it stopped and turrets work just fine now.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

xarph posted:

Kenlon for next thread OP writer whenever that happens.

Agreed! I haven't actually played with enemies enabled, myself.

I love the designs for the refineries, keeping that one in mind for when I inevitably restart.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

I had the bug in the beginning of my game, but then it stopped and turrets work just fine now.

Gun turrets seemed to only be able to track moving things- as soon as the bugs stopped to chew on walls, the turrets turned off. Laser turrets never had the trouble, and if you had enough guns to splatter anything that showed up you'd never see it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

wave your inserters around like you just don't care

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Gun turrets seemed to only be able to track moving things- as soon as the bugs stopped to chew on walls, the turrets turned off. Laser turrets never had the trouble, and if you had enough guns to splatter anything that showed up you'd never see it.

Oh wow, I thought they had put some sort of minimum range into the turrets. My fix was...more turrets.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I know alpha is not the time for knee-jerk reactions, but lights look lovely as gently caress in 10.1. I turned up the multisampling though, and it's pretty smooth looking at low to medium zoom. I'd suggest that to anyone who was as upset about this change as I was :spergin:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm playing around with doing on-demand manufacturing for higher-tech components rather than just running everything from a central bus and branching. The reduced footprint is nice, but things can get byzantine when you run low on space!

Try and work out the flow of everything here. :v:

Engine manufacturing is a little better. I could probably rework it to only need one cog factory, but eh.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Now that we can share seeds, does anyone have any sort of interesting seed starts?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone know why I'm unable to pull the update? Tried checking for update with experimental checked and without. Says no new updates available.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Garfu posted:

Anyone know why I'm unable to pull the update? Tried checking for update with experimental checked and without. Says no new updates available.

I was reading their boards, apparently there are some technical problems, so you can only download it manually for the moment.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I seem to have problems loading saves with the new update. I don't mean old saves either, but saves from newly started maps. I get a message that "package lock (read) is active", and it doesn't load.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Does anyone seem to get complete pauses of the game randomly? It's only factorio that just stops for like 5 seconds, rest of the computer can be doing other things. It seems to have just started this patch.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Morning posted:

Does anyone seem to get complete pauses of the game randomly? It's only factorio that just stops for like 5 seconds, rest of the computer can be doing other things. It seems to have just started this patch.

That sounds like autosave hitching.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Yeah, that's more than likely the autosave. The default autosave is something like once every two minutes, set it to something more sane like once every half hour and see if the "hitching" doesn't go away.

(edit) Finally beat this game for the first time.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I have a problem with the .10.1 where it it can't load saves made in the .10.1. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4440

Of course I only found this out after working on a factory for 4 hours.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Is there a machine that automatically chops trees?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sam. posted:

A roboport stocked with Construction bots will do it, with the Deconstruction Planner. It's pretty high-tech, though, but crazy fast.

If you want wood, that's the way to go. Or manually.
If you want the trees gone, grenades and poison capsules are the way to go.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sam. posted:

With the deconstruct blueprint you can mark an area of trees that is within the green radius of a roboport. They will be deconstructed by construction robot.

Or grenades. Grenades work too.

^^^ Beaten

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sam. posted:

Constructor bots do this. Just use a deconstruction blueprint on the area you want cleaned.
The more low-tech way is a flamethrower.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I can't seem to load either 0.9* nor 0.10 maps with the latest alpha. I guess I could be starting a new factory even if I was happy having my army of bots rebuild my old one from the ground up. This is definitely one of those games where having to start from scratch is not too bad at all!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Flamethrowers are terrible at clearing trees. The SMG with piercing ammo cuts through trees just like that.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Breetai posted:

I'm playing around with doing on-demand manufacturing for higher-tech components rather than just running everything from a central bus and branching. The reduced footprint is nice, but things can get byzantine when you run low on space!

Try and work out the flow of everything here. :v:

Engine manufacturing is a little better. I could probably rework it to only need one cog factory, but eh.

I like the emtpy space between the main bus lines. I've been doing a main bus design myself and it gets pretty cramped, this should really help making branch-off points. This is one I'm keeping in mind for my next factory.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Buses are for sissies who can't handle massive sprawling factories that utilize a complex system of trains to keep product moving.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Stick Insect posted:

I like the emtpy space between the main bus lines. I've been doing a main bus design myself and it gets pretty cramped, this should really help making branch-off points. This is one I'm keeping in mind for my next factory.

One the idea struck me it wouldn't go away, so I ended up reinstalling, and it makes the occasional branch-off to feed a product line so much easier.

Mind you, leaving a 2-space gap allows you to do this, which is even easier. I'll be doing it my next game.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Buses are for sissies who can't handle massive sprawling factories that utilize a complex system of trains to keep product moving.

Eh. I think that for four components in particular - Iron/Steel/Copper plates and also Green Circuits, they're a fundamental part of any base. Running off a massive line of green inserters, however, is just wasteful.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 22, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Logistics networks almost feel like cheating to me, once I get them set up I rip out most of my belts, except for copper, iron, gears, wires, and circuits. The rest gets moved by logistics bots. Currently 1449 in my network.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Steel is also worth bussing. But are gears and wire really worth bussing? I just make those on the spot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FISHMANPET posted:

Logistics networks almost feel like cheating to me, once I get them set up I rip out most of my belts, except for copper, iron, gears, wires, and circuits. The rest gets moved by logistics bots. Currently 1449 in my network.

I hope you sit in an area where you can see lots of them going by frequently so you can cackle and shout "Fly my pretties!"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phobophilia posted:

Steel is also worth bussing. But are gears and wire really worth bussing? I just make those on the spot.

Gears maybe, wire no. Circuits probably.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Circuits, absolutely. On the thread's advice, I've been fabbing them on the spot every time I find a deposit of iron and copper.

Edit: I think I've finally gotten the hang of trains. I've been making double-rails with a space between them (so I can always potentially thread an underground belt through it. After that, I put up some signals, and they're easy to place because double-rails make alot of sense.

It turns out you can't place train signals on curved rails, meaning any time you cross the main path, it has to be via a straight rail.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I bus wire into circuit plants, mostly because I'll have had it setup from before I had logistics bots.