Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Taff posted:

Has Jerichos "Strange Kentucky People" video ever turned up?

To my knowledge it's never surfaced, but Lance Storm swears it's real, and Jericho said on Twitter / Facebook a few years ago that a copy had been found. I would probably give a kidney to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Is the fact that Eric Young is fun to watch more an indictment of TNA or an endorsement of EY?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Timby posted:

To my knowledge it's never surfaced, but Lance Storm swears it's real, and Jericho said on Twitter / Facebook a few years ago that a copy had been found. I would probably give a kidney to see it.

If the Jimmy Garvin GAB video can surface, anything can.

The problem with TNA has never been the wrestlers. Bobby Roode, Bully Ray, Eric Young, they're fine workers. The problem has always been the toxic atmosphere, 2000 WCW creative, and horrific management.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

If the Jimmy Garvin GAB video can surface, anything can.

Here's a question: What's this?

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
Jimmy Garvin shot a behind the scenes video at the 1988 Great American Bash that was full of kayfabe-breaking wrestlers messing around with Jimmy. It's noteable since it was still the 80s and kayfabe was still a big deal back then. This dude here reviews it:
http://www.oowrestling.com/columns/circa/20040820c.shtml

Here is part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMh2aBYKucM

And part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1D6MW9uqsA

It also has Arn's butthole.

bartok
May 10, 2006

What are some of the better In Your House PPVs? I've seen Mind Games with the incredible Shawn Michaels/Mankind main event and a few really lovely In Your Houses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

E-Diddy posted:

Jimmy Garvin shot a behind the scenes video at the 1988 Great American Bash that was full of kayfabe-breaking wrestlers messing around with Jimmy. It's noteable since it was still the 80s and kayfabe was still a big deal back then. This dude here reviews it:
http://www.oowrestling.com/columns/circa/20040820c.shtml

Here is part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMh2aBYKucM

And part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1D6MW9uqsA

It also has Arn's butthole.

Is the reviewer naive, or was he actively trying to avoid mentioning that Hawk was using the water to wash cocaine down his nose?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bartok posted:

What are some of the better In Your House PPVs? I've seen Mind Games with the incredible Shawn Michaels/Mankind main event and a few really lovely In Your Houses.

Canadian Stampede, St. Valentine's Day Massacre. The good ones still have lovely undercards but amazing main events.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Canadian Stampede, St. Valentine's Day Massacre. The good ones still have lovely undercards but amazing main events.

Rock/Mankind was not the ME on St. Valentine's Day Massacre. :colbert:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Canadian Stampede didn't have a single bad match. The entire card is amazing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
https://sites.google.com/site/chris...F-In-Your-House

This should help you. Some of the early shows were 2 hours long and had dark matches before and after the actual PPV and not all of them are noted.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bartok posted:

Beware of Dog is also a must-see.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Was the Lawler/Kauffman feud the most successful mainstream angle not associated with WWE or WCW? And how did the popularity of WWF compare with it at the time?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lawler/Kauffman did get some mainstream attention but really didn't draw that much money and only continued because Kauffman refused to cash his checks

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

Lawler/Kauffman did get some mainstream attention but really didn't draw that much money and only continued because Kauffman refused to cash his checks

Wasn't it a good draw in the beginning? IIRC the problem was that they kept it going too long because as mentioned Kaufman was happy to work for free.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
It's pretty surreal watching the GAB 1988 right after that youtube video.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bartok posted:

Badd Blood 1997's main event is the debut of HIAC, and it is insanely goddamned great.

edit: looking through that list, and jesus christ, was there ever a good King of the Ring (other than '98)? I actually kind of like wrestling tournaments, but they just don't seem to work out for the WWE.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 21, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've only recently just got back into wrestling and I just watched Summerslam 2013. So i'm wondering just what the general reaction was to Bryan beating Cena clean because when I was watching that was basically unheard of, hell it's basically unheard of now. Were there any leaks about the outcome? Because if not the reaction must have been insane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've only recently just got back into wrestling and I just watched Summerslam 2013. So i'm wondering just what the general reaction was to Bryan beating Cena clean because when I was watching that was basically unheard of, hell it's basically unheard of now. Were there any leaks about the outcome? Because if not the reaction must have been insane.

Real-time reactions start here, it was pretty glorious.

Shenanigans start here, it's pretty hilarious :)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

bartok posted:

I seem to recall most of this show is dogshit, but Jarrett/Michaels from IYH 2 is pretty terrific. And the super coked out Dok Hendrix backstage report afterwards.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The outcome of the match wasn't in doubt once everyone knew how bad Cena's arm was and that was pretty common knowledge a couple weeks before the show.

What was in doubt was how clean it would be and whether the injury would play into it, and that came as a major surprise. Hardly anyone was expecting a perfectly clean win, and IMO that was the real beginning of what now seems to be WWE's #1 booking project of getting all of their eggs out of the Cena basket.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

One major thing to consider is that no one had ever seen the knee before, since Bryan always used the headbutt and Yes!/No! Lock.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?
Why does NJPW always spell Kazuchika Okada's name using katakana instead of kanji, like their other Japan-native wrestlers?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Badd Blood 1997's main event is the debut of HIAC, and it is insanely goddamned great.

edit: looking through that list, and jesus christ, was there ever a good King of the Ring (other than '98)? I actually kind of like wrestling tournaments, but they just don't seem to work out for the WWE.

KOTR '93 was my favorite. Hart/Razor is very fun, Hart/Perfect is one of my absolute favorite WWF matches ever, and the final is also real good. Plus it's the last of Hulk Hogan in the WWF for almost a decade.

'08 was also fun just for Regal rampaging through everyone before he hosed up his push for himself.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Happyman posted:

Why does NJPW always spell Kazuchika Okada's name using katakana instead of kanji, like their other Japan-native wrestlers?

It's a stylistic choice. His name used to be spelled in kanji when he was a young lion before going to TNA. You may also notice that Minoru Suzuki has his personal name written in hiragana (みのる).

Here's a conversation I had with harperdc about this same subject.

quote:

Thauros wrote on Feb 12, 2014 00:00:
Ok, I know foreign names and loan words are usually written in katakana and Japanese names in kanji.

The only hiragana character I knew 24 hours ago was の for "no" since it's so drat common and I noticed a while back from MiSu's tron that he uses it to write his personal name.

When trying to interpret the bracket I noticed that it looked like his whole personal name is written in hiragana and sure enough after reading the wiki page for hiragana it's indeed み(mi) の(no) る(ru).

Does everyone write Minoru as みのる, or is that a personal style choice like Rainmaker's use of katakana and most people in Japan would use kanji?

Sorry for the dumb rambling question form a sleep deprived wrestling nerd.

quote:

So if you're already familiar with kanji, hiragana and katakana you're halfway there -- but the rabbit hole goes deeper. In Chinese, kanji makes sense -- each character has one reading and one meaning. In Japanese, poo poo gets difficult.

The short answer is Suzuki has a kanji name, 鈴木 実 (すずき・みのる) but he apparently uses his hiragana for his ring name. Most people in Japan have kanji last names (unless you're a dirty gaijin like me ) but sometimes people have hiragana only -- usually this is something girls do. The trick is while last name kanji isn't too exotic, sometimes you can have strange readings or combinations of readings for the first name. Most official forms in Japan have a place for you to write the kanji and also the reading of it as well. Okada is honestly the stranger example, since rarely have native Japanese wrestlers who aren't characters (like Tiger Mask) written their names in katakana like him.

While Chinese makes sense (each kanji has one reading and one meaning), Japanese is weirder -- multiple readings for each one, depending on various factors including use in a name. Example: Suzuki's given name, 実, means "truth" and as a name can also be read Makoto (a decently common boy's name), Minori, Chika (for girls), and a couple other ways. As a regular word, it's read "jitsu" and is a decently common phrase (jitsu wa, or "well, in to tell you the truth..."). Japan does have an official kanji register for names but most have multiple readings like that. (This has gotten really confusing with the young generation of kids as well, basically parents doing the equivalent in America or the UK of using excessive Ys or bizarre spellings of names).

TL;DR Suzuki is using hiragana as a ring name, and Japanese names are strange

Suzuki's also experimeneted with different kanji for his family name in the past when he was in AJPW.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

The outcome of the match wasn't in doubt once everyone knew how bad Cena's arm was and that was pretty common knowledge a couple weeks before the show.

What was in doubt was how clean it would be and whether the injury would play into it, and that came as a major surprise. Hardly anyone was expecting a perfectly clean win, and IMO that was the real beginning of what now seems to be WWE's #1 booking project of getting all of their eggs out of the Cena basket.

There was a lot of feeling that Cena would win and then Orton would cash in on him and beat him, so the Bryan win wasn't exactly guaranteed.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

One major thing to consider is that no one had ever seen the knee before, since Bryan always used the headbutt and Yes!/No! Lock.

He'd done the knee in WWE a bunch, just not as a finisher. He used to do it off the apron to an outside opponent all the time, and the version he uses as a finish was just kind of a move he used.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is there legit heat between Tanahashi and Shibata or is their rivalry more of a work?

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Is there legit heat between Tanahashi and Shibata or is their rivalry more of a work?

There is some heat from Tana and others at NJPW because Shibata left during one of the worst periods of New Japan (when he, Tana and Shinsuke were supposed to be the 3 new stars) to a mediocre career as a freelancer and in MMA, and then returned during the middle of a boom period.

Tanahashi's ideas on wrestling run completely contrary to Shibata and how he wrestles so there's that too.

It does seem like it's being exagerrated a fair bit, but there does also seem to be some real heat there.

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about-his_22.html

Excerpt from Tanahashi's book talking about his rivals, including a bunch of stuff on Shibata.

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-katsuyori-shibata-talks-about-his.html

Interview with Shibata about Tanahashi.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I come from Wales where rugby is king and at the dawn of the 1900's there was a terrific war between several rugby unions as to who controlled Welsh rugby and when I say a war I mean knives out and real willingness to kill opposing team players. Can anyone tell me what it was like for a wrestler in the early 1900's as regards the territories that they wrestled for?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ultragonk posted:

I come from Wales where rugby is king and at the dawn of the 1900's there was a terrific war between several rugby unions as to who controlled Welsh rugby and when I say a war I mean knives out and real willingness to kill opposing team players. Can anyone tell me what it was like for a wrestler in the early 1900's as regards the territories that they wrestled for?

Territories were dead by the mid 80s, weren't they?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Territories were dead by the mid 80s, weren't they?

So the 80+ years before that were like....?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ultragonk posted:

At the turn of the century there weren't territories. Some promoters would have a stranglehold on a city or as you got into the 20s a region, but wrestlers weren't really confined to a territory. The biggest stars did matches all over the country and Europe too. Some would wrestle mainly in one city (especially if they were a local freak show attraction, they might only do a few matches there) but it kind of resembled the way boxing is promoted now in terms of promoters and wrestlers. The affiliations were less formal, but I think that describes it. Wrestlers obviously worked many, many more matches than boxers do today. I haven't heard of many violent clashes between warring promoters. I'd guess when it is a work everyone is less inclined to die for it?

The timeline I put in the Wrestling History thread may help a little: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592744

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 21, 2014

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

At the turn of the century there weren't territories. Some promoters would have a stranglehold on a city or as you got into the 20s a region, but wrestlers weren't really confined to a territory. The biggest stars did matches all over the country and Europe too. Some would wrestle mainly in one city (especially if they were a local freak show attraction, they might only do a few matches there) but it kind of resembled the way boxing is promoted now in terms of promoters and wrestlers. The affiliations were less formal, but I think that describes it. Wrestlers obviously worked many, many more matches than boxers do today. I haven't heard of many violent clashes between warring promoters. I'd guess when it is a work everyone is less inclined to die for it?

The timeline I put in the Wrestling History thread may help a little: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592744

That's a great explanation. I have a great grandfather who was stabbed on the training pitch to stop him playing so to see what the wrestlers did ion that time is very interesting. For an example in 1899 a Welsh fullback said they could kill any other rugby player within 5 minutes of being on the pitch, of course he really couldn't and that was just in Wales and not internationally.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I love territory talk.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

It's a stylistic choice. His name used to be spelled in kanji when he was a young lion before going to TNA. You may also notice that Minoru Suzuki has his personal name written in hiragana (みのる).

Here's a conversation I had with harperdc about this same subject.

Suzuki's also experimeneted with different kanji for his family name in the past when he was in AJPW.

Another idea might be aping baseball player Ichiro Suzuki, which as a name is something like Joe Johnson in Japan - especially in kanji - so he usually is referred to in katakana (イチロー) and his first name alone to boot. That's one of the only sports stars I can think of who uses katakana, and since he's such a legend, that might be a reason too. Actor and director Beat Takeshi is another person who's famous and used katakana too.

Tl;dr it's rare and, therefore, memorable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ultragonk posted:

That's a great explanation. I have a great grandfather who was stabbed on the training pitch to stop him playing so to see what the wrestlers did ion that time is very interesting. For an example in 1899 a Welsh fullback said they could kill any other rugby player within 5 minutes of being on the pitch, of course he really couldn't and that was just in Wales and not internationally.

The worst I've really heard was William Muldoon being reportedly menaced by gangs of thugs (he was a former NY police officer) acting on behalf of his opponent. Other than that there isn't much more than brutal beatings inside of matches, or cool poo poo like Matsuda threatening to kill Evan Lewis if he used the sleeper on him, so Lewis just leglocked him into the hospital. Rugby players did what wrestlers only threatened to do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The worst I've really heard was William Muldoon being reportedly menaced by gangs of thugs (he was a former NY police officer) acting on behalf of his opponent. Other than that there isn't much more than brutal beatings inside of matches, or cool poo poo like Matsuda threatening to kill Evan Lewis if he used the sleeper on him, so Lewis just leglocked him into the hospital.

Ha ha that's great.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MassRafTer posted:

The worst I've really heard was William Muldoon being reportedly menaced by gangs of thugs (he was a former NY police officer) acting on behalf of his opponent. Other than that there isn't much more than brutal beatings inside of matches, or cool poo poo like Matsuda threatening to kill Evan Lewis if he used the sleeper on him, so Lewis just leglocked him into the hospital. Rugby players did what wrestlers only threatened to do.

Whenever I watch anything regarding early 20th century wrestling it just seems like a lot of guys playing GOT YOUR LEG in front of very nicely-dressed people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I'm sure there would have been more stabbings if you concentrated all of the promoters into an area slightly larger than New Jersey.