Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Jota posted:

I like the Lakers trying to become Sixers West. Taking Jodie Meeks and Nick Young, now they want Thad and MCW. I'm sure it will work well for them.

They could probably grab Evan Turner if they wanted him too !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spencer Hawes is a free agent and Bynum wants to come home...

And Kobe is practically from Philly!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brett Brown may be one of the few people to have actually seen Dante Exum play actual basketball and I always had a feeling Exum could be a "surprise" pick for them at 3.

Sixers owning 3, 7 and 10 along with half the second round would be absolutely hilarious. Play all the rookies and run with it. Who needs veteran presence? It would be real bad, yet peak entertainment.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

If the Sixers swindle their way to the 3/7/10 and still get Wiggins I'd laugh my rear end off forever

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I really don't think Embiid will be there at 7 but that would be a fun bad team to watch whoever they take.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're not going to get Wiggins at 3. Best case is probably like Exum-Embiid-Stauskas/Harris or something like that. Or replace Embiid with Randle if they're scared off by his foot. The Lakers trading a lottery pick for MCW when his value is artificially inflated by being rookie of the year in a lovely class would be fun though, so I hope this happens.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
There is zero chance the Lakers do that deal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

Or replace Embiid with Randle if they're scared off by his foot.

About that pin in Embiid's foot...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

They're not going to get Wiggins at 3. Best case is probably like Exum-Embiid-Stauskas/Harris or something like that. Or replace Embiid with Randle if they're scared off by his foot. The Lakers trading a lottery pick for MCW when his value is artificially inflated by being rookie of the year in a lovely class would be fun though, so I hope this happens.

I was really close to effort posting on another forum about how bad the trade would be for the Lakers, and not impossible steal for us. But I remembered that if the guy already thinks MCW is a top 5 pg, logic won't be able to get through.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
Will Embiid really fall out of the top 6? I know he's a risk, but the fact that he's probably the #1 without the injuries means someone takes him and just hope he's not Oden 2.0 right?

Also with all these Philly picks with set salaries are they going to have to throw stupid money at a couple free agents just to get to the salary minimum?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I cannot see Embiid falling lower than the Celtics.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

gingerberger posted:

Also with all these Philly picks with set salaries are they going to have to throw stupid money at a couple free agents just to get to the salary minimum?

Maybe

Giving a short-ish, high-value and massively frontloaded contract to Loul Deng (or someone similar) isn't the worst thing in the world. Veteran Presence

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If they don't hit the minimum they just pay the guys they have extra.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid only out 16-24 weeks. He could still play 50+ games this year.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Whoever takes him will give him the Blake Griffin / Nerlens Noel treatment

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Embiid only out 16-24 weeks. He could still play 50+ games this year.

No one is getting scared off because of this year. The worry is that foot injuries are something that frequently become a chronic issue

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Will the teams actually get a chance to evaluate his foot?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

chunkles posted:

Will the teams actually get a chance to evaluate his foot?

Apparently they already have as it was supposedly the Cavs docs who found the injury to begin with. There isn't much evaluation to do between the surgery and the draft though. The draft is 5 days from now and the surgery has already occurred. All an evaluation would yield is post operative pain, and maybe some radiology to confirm the surgery placed the bones properly which has already been done.

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
Some jackass on ESPN earlier had Embiid falling to Philly at 10. Come on.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the GSW / MIN trade goes through, Thompson might go to LA for #7. So Minny would obviously be in need of a shooting guard.

Probably just take bpa at 7 and stauskas at 13 if available.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

As of this morning Draft Express has the Magic taking Embiid 4th with the Celtics taking Marcus Smart. That's exactly how it's gonna play out, isn't it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

If that happens, Nash retires. He already said he would do so if he is traded.

Does his deal come off the books immediately if he does?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does his deal come off the books immediately if he does?

Unless the CBA has changed it, my understanding is that he would still count against the cap but the Sixers would not be obligated to pay him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jimcunningham posted:

If the GSW / MIN trade goes through, Thompson might go to LA for #7.

why

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inside Outside posted:

As of this morning Draft Express has the Magic taking Embiid 4th with the Celtics taking Marcus Smart. That's exactly how it's gonna play out, isn't it?

Please please please. Who do you offload Rondo on though? I feel like he's being massively undervalued.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inside Outside posted:

Unless the CBA has changed it, my understanding is that he would still count against the cap but the Sixers would not be obligated to pay him.

So it's still a a salary dump for Philly, then.

DeimosRising posted:

Please please please. Who do you offload Rondo on though? I feel like he's being massively undervalued.

I think everybody knows he's a really good PG, but his attitude and injury issues may dissaude people from doing the drat thing.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Rondo doesn't really have injury issues aside from the torn ACL. He looked a little rusty when he finally came back, but that sort of thing is to be expected and he seemed fine physically. I've always thought the attitude thing was a little overblown too, but who knows?

As for his market, I have no idea because nothing has been floated yet. I remember last season there was talk of Houston wanting Rondo. They don't have anything outside of Parsons that Boston would really want all that much and may not give him up for Rondo anyway. It feels like Rondo's value as a player is mitigated by the fact that he's an expiring contract and that there's currently so many good point guards in the league right now.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

The Lakers don't need to build through the draft. Stars like Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Chris Kaman and Nick Young will all flock to play under the bright lights of Hollywood.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Part of the reason Rondo's not getting more interest is how many good point guards there are in the league. He's an upgrade for most teams, but not a massive upgrade. Mix that with attitude concerns and the fact you only get 1 year out of him guaranteed and there's just a lot of risks for moderate reward for most teams.

If he was the same issues but was an elite shooting guard I think the market for him would be a lot different.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
@GoodmanESPN
One NBA GM picking in Top 10 on Embiid: "My medical people told me flat-out not to take him."

I'll be shocked if nobody picks Embiid in the top 10.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Spacebump posted:

@GoodmanESPN
One NBA GM picking in Top 10 on Embiid: "My medical people told me flat-out not to take him."

I'll be shocked if nobody picks Embiid in the top 10.

Somebody will. Less promising guys with just as glaring red flags have gone higher, somebody is going to be willing to take the risk (probably one of the larger market franchises like Boston or LA that aren't completely reliant on having to knock draft picks out of the park to build good teams)

There's no question his medical issues are a real big deal, but I think now we're starting to get into bluffing territory where the mid-lottery teams are racing to the bottom to tell the media how much they totally wouldn't take Embiid

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i think philly makes the most sense as a landing spot for him

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mandrel posted:

Somebody will. Less promising guys with just as glaring red flags have gone higher, somebody is going to be willing to take the risk (probably one of the larger market franchises like Boston or LA that aren't completely reliant on having to knock draft picks out of the park to build good teams)

I feel like teams are getting a lot more cautious about this type of stuff, though. Blair and Sullinger's slides come to mind.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm glad we have a forum full of doctors who can tell NBA medical personnel that they're being idiots

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

MourningView posted:

I'm glad we have a forum full of doctors who can tell NBA medical personnel that they're being idiots

We can tell when professional coaches and GM's are being idiots, so why not medical personnel too?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
um I think ESPN just put up a graphic with Elfrid going at #8

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

EvanTH posted:

um I think ESPN just put up a graphic with Elfrid going at #8

That's where Chad Ford has him going.

quote:

The Kings continue to be active in trying to trade the pick, with multiple sources saying that a trade is more likely than the Kings drafting where they are. But until a deal materializes, we have to take a look at what they are doing. Point guard seems to be a main area of focus, and both Smart and Payton are in the mix here. If the Lakers or Celtics grab Smart and Julius Randle falls, I think they could shock everyone and take Payton over a player like Randle. Two months ago, having Payton this high seemed nuts, but he's been one of just two or three guys that have gotten rave reviews in every workout. His size, toughness, defense and leadership abilities would all be welcome in Sacramento.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

morestuff posted:

That's where Chad Ford has him going.

sounds good I'm all in. Payton for ROTY

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Are there sites you guys use other than ESPN to get info about what teams are thinking? It seems like there's a lot of sites that are just random people saying they think Team X will pass on Player Y, but I don't know if any of them are reputable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Here's a transcript from a ~real doc~

KeyShawn Johnson - "But doc, just look at the.. Greg Oden. He had knee problems coming in and the Portland Trailblazers still selected him - how many games did he wind up playing?."

Dr. Klapper - "Well, it's like, it's a good point Keyshawn. It's all about location though, and for orthopedic surgery, it's all about where the fracture is.. and if the fracture is in a bone away from a joint, so his stress fracture in his back, not near the joint, the navicular bone - we can fix these, and you don't get an arthritic condition later on. That's the key. When poor Greg Oden suffered the knee injury, it was damaged and needed what's known as a microfracture, like aerating your lawn to get the seedlings to grow again, that's what a microfracture is.. but we're not good at fixing cartilage problems - that's why Kobe goes to Germany, and Andrew Bynum went there, and you look at the end of the career for many an athlete because of arthritis. These two injuries for Embiid can be fixed and he gets to move on."

Later on @ approx 4:40 (in reference to Embiid)

Keyshawn Johnson - "..you can go in the history of injuries from college to pros - think about all the big men in college basketball that had major injuries transferring to the NBA - they never turned out to do anything - and so for me to take him at (number) seven, with a foot injury, and the back, it scares me.. it just.."

Dr. Klapper - "Yeah, you're totally right, and you know - let's not forget, when you're talking about basketball, where the goal is not ground-level like football, but is actually 10 feet above. The great James Naismith who invented the sport did this on purpose. He put the goal above the players so they wouldn't crash into each other like they do in football, and remember one thing - you need that foot of yours to leap to get to that basket, but the most important thing that foot does - is it gives you a soft landing. So to a big-man, this is a devastating injury - and that is why a stress fracture needed to have screws.. and tomorrow he's gonna get them in his foot - but I'm here to tell you - once it heals (like any fracture), there's even more bone than there was there before - this is not going to be a chronic problem."

He makes some good points, I'm really warming to Embiid at 4.

• Locked thread