Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's on the Mac App Store so I imagine PC unavailability is just a question of nobody bothering.

I sometimes see PC copies at Half Price Books so I imagine it's not too hard to get. (Just get the Superstar version which has the expansion pack-in, plus the soundtrack which is awesome.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, so Splinter Cell: Blacklist really dropped the ball on Sam Fisher's new voice actor but I'm having a blast with it. One thing I've only just twigged onto though is the dynamic music score - depending on the enemy's status, movement patterns and so on (there seems to be quite a bit of variation rather than just FULL ALERT MAXIMUM and completely dead to the world), extra little wub wubs, violin strings or whatever are added to the background. It's a really neat feature as it subtly catches my attention while feeding me information without simply vomiting text all over the screen.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Storyline spoilers for Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies here

This is somewhat long winded for very little payoff, but I found it rather neat.

I've been playing the game on and off for 6 months (only really play on my commute)

The basic gist of the storyline is very prototypical early final fantasy era, one of the main protagonists is called Tiz, only survivor of a great chasm that swallowed up his village. In order to get rid of the great chasm and restore the village, you need to unleash the four crystals to restore the land.

The next protagonist is called Agnes, who is accompanied by a Cryst-fairy called Airy. Agnes is a vestal of the Wind crystal, one of the few people who can attune themself to a crystal and unleash its power. Airy is a little flying fairy who's been around for thousands of years and who knows tons of lore.

The third protagonist is Ringabel, an amnesiac with a mysterious journal that seems to detail future events.

The final protagonist is Edea Lee, daughter of the leader of Eternia, the kingdom that is invading the world to wipe out the vestals.

The first 5 chapters of the game cover the party coming together, unleashing the four crystals and flying their airship into a beam of light. They then awaken back at the inn at the start of the game thoroughly confused, because everything seems to be back the way it was just after the chasm opened up, albeit with minor differences.

Airy is incredibly confused because she's following the scriptures but nothing happened. They come to an agreement to repeat themselves and unleash the crystals again - which happens very quickly because this time you've got an airship, and don't need to hang about being bothered by such things as "geography" and "the ocean".

It happens again - but you get a little more information from key bosses that it's never been the vestals they've been after.

The next cycle around, you hear from two of the leaders of the kingdom of Eternia right before you defeat them that the two of them used to be mortal enemies until a dying angel crashed into their battlefield who foretold the future to them before she died. The Angel was Agnes.

At this point, Ringabel has slowly started to regain his memories and is starting to become very suspicious of Airy, who is becoming increasingly hostile towards Ringabel.

To get to the point, from Chapter 6 on, when suspicion starts to fall upon Airy that she's leading you astray, there's a chance for the games subtitle to change at the title screen from "Where the Fairy Flies" to animating in red and changing to "airy lies".

It was pretty neat I thought, I haven't formally confronted her or anything, but I thought it was a neat way of foreshadowing something to come. :3:

Not that I've confronted her yet - there was a flashback screen from Ringabel which kinda indicated she's a major boss and super powerful, but we'll see!

Apparently this is visible through spoiler tags (not to me?) so here's a link:

http://i.imgur.com/FMf38Nel.jpg

tithin has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Jun 20, 2014

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I finished the new Wolfenstein the other day and there were a few things that stood out for me. Every weapon has na alternate fire mode activated by pressing "c". They tell you that only projectile weapons have this, but if you have the knife out, it works too! It just changes the hand you hold the knife in.

I absolutely love they used actual Poles as voiceactors for Ania and her familiy, it works really well. And if you know/are polish you can catch a little secret early: halfway though the game, Ania starts to read you lines from her sister's or cousin's (can't remember), named Ramona, diary. There is a catch to it tho: there was never a Ramona. She tells you this at the end of the reading, but indirectly, saying "Some of those things might have happened to me". The image accompanying the audio logs has her reading the book, and on the cover there is "Nalezy do: ANIA" which means "Belongs to Ania"

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Sir Shion posted:

[/URL][/spoiler]

The image is still visible through the spoiler tags, buddy.

My little things in games: the Flamethrower in The Last Of Us multiplayer. Nothing like dropping behind a distracted enemy and lightly cooking them :D

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sir Shion posted:

I liked the idea, but I thought they took waaaaay too loving long to get to the point. Even when they start realize what's going on, you still need to do the cycle one more time, which is ridiculous because they know what's going to happen.

I think they could've done it a lot, lot better. The second-last cycle is good, as it shows what is different, and what could've been - the rest of them are just exactly the same stuff, which slightly modified dialogue with some of the vestals. poo poo, every single time they come across each temple boss, they're somehow surprised that the boss is there.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

Morpheus posted:

I liked the idea, but I thought they took waaaaay too loving long to get to the point. Even when they start realize what's going on, you still need to do the cycle one more time, which is ridiculous because they know what's going to happen.

I think they could've done it a lot, lot better. The second-last cycle is good, as it shows what is different, and what could've been - the rest of them are just exactly the same stuff, which slightly modified dialogue with some of the vestals. poo poo, every single time they come across each temple boss, they're somehow surprised that the boss is there.

Kind of agree with you here that it feels like a lot of padding, but it's fun to turn the second cycle into pretty much Boss Rush mode cause you've outleveled everyone, and then then the third cycle goes even faster and drops some more story cause the world is different enough. And then you get Obliterate by leveling up the Conjurer class and grinding for levels becomes trivial. I've been having fun with it.

One thing totally caught me off guard, though. I was pretty sure from mid way through the first cycle that Airy was up to something with the way she's always pushing you to ignore sidequest stuff in her menu screen dialog, but I totally missed that the pattern on her wings was counting down with each cycle. Really neat little touch that went totally over my head until they revealed it.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah the main thing that pissed me off about Crysis 2 is it ignored everything about the first game except ~aliens~ and nanosuits, I wanted to see Prophet's story not have him killed off before I even get control of my character.

The Ling-Shan incident was actually orchestrated by CryNet, in an attempt to have to Nanosuits (developed by hacking alien tech discovered by the company) experience the original Ceph habitat, and to collect information on them. Only Prophet knew this though. By the time C2 started Prophet has learned that one of the main alien sites is under Manhattan, and this is why he came back. He was however too sick and tired to go on, this is why he put Alcatraz, the only (barely) surviving marine he found into the suit. He's not dead though, the suit used Alcatraz's remaining body and mind and fused with it while slowly restoring Prophet's consciousness into the new occupant.

It's a weird story, and not without its gaps and retcons, but I'm forgiving because C2 is my ultimate favorite FPS. I like plenty other games, but nothing comes even close to its experience. Many say it's a corridor shooter, but it's not fair - every encounter you have can be approached several radically different ways. I've played through it once without using the cloak, and one could probably sneak most of the game as well. I've never had another game with that kind of freedom to adapt to situations.

Sorry for the derail, they aren't really small things, I just love that game so much.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Idunno if it's a little thing since it kind of permeates the whole game, but the monsters in Atelier Ayesha are pretty cute.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver: Okay so the main gimmick about these games, apart from mad nostalgia props (being DS remakes of the first Pokemon generation I played,) is that you have the number 1 Pokemon in your party walking behind you at almost all times. You can turn around and talk to it too. They had a lot of fun with this feature, but it's oddly hard to find because you'll usually get a few generic messages. I was standing next to the pool in Misty's gym though, and saw "Is it doing warm-up exercises?"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jim DiGriz posted:

The Ling-Shan incident was actually orchestrated by CryNet, in an attempt to have to Nanosuits (developed by hacking alien tech discovered by the company) experience the original Ceph habitat, and to collect information on them. Only Prophet knew this though. By the time C2 started Prophet has learned that one of the main alien sites is under Manhattan, and this is why he came back. He was however too sick and tired to go on, this is why he put Alcatraz, the only (barely) surviving marine he found into the suit. He's not dead though, the suit used Alcatraz's remaining body and mind and fused with it while slowly restoring Prophet's consciousness into the new occupant.

It's a weird story, and not without its gaps and retcons, but I'm forgiving because C2 is my ultimate favorite FPS. I like plenty other games, but nothing comes even close to its experience. Many say it's a corridor shooter, but it's not fair - every encounter you have can be approached several radically different ways. I've played through it once without using the cloak, and one could probably sneak most of the game as well. I've never had another game with that kind of freedom to adapt to situations.

Sorry for the derail, they aren't really small things, I just love that game so much.

I do agree with you that C2 was a better game than most reviews said it was, at least I enjoyed it more, but I definitely think that's one of the issues with the whole series: it doesn't seem like they had a good idea of where the story was going from the beginning. So for C2 they have to go back and explain a whole bunch of events in a context they never really had, whereas it would have been hinted at had they actually known at the time they wanted it to go there.

Personally, I think they really missed an opportunity to make something of the three people who found the original Ceph crash in 1918, and how each used different means to live on and fight an invasion they knew was coming but had no idea when.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

I do agree with you that C2 was a better game than most reviews said it was, at least I enjoyed it more, but I definitely think that's one of the issues with the whole series: it doesn't seem like they had a good idea of where the story was going from the beginning. So for C2 they have to go back and explain a whole bunch of events in a context they never really had, whereas it would have been hinted at had they actually known at the time they wanted it to go there.

I've read Peter Watts's Crysis:Legion several times, so it might just be the overexposition but the story more-or-less works. It's jarring a bit to lose Nomad and have Prophet instead just to lose him and get the suit as the protagonist in C2 and then get Prophet back in C3, but I can overlook the gaps if I get to wear the nanogear.

carry on then posted:

Personally, I think they really missed an opportunity to make something of the three people who found the original Ceph crash in 1918, and how each used different means to live on and fight an invasion they knew was coming but had no idea when.

Well, except for Gould's grandfather (if I remember right about him being the third) Hargreave and Rasch kinda got their spotlights there.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I've been playing Rise of Nations: Extended Edition when I'm not posting huge walls of text in the What Should I Know thread in games, and I played the everloving poo poo out of it when it first came out in '03.

I just noticed that your scouts will use snowshoes if you're on a snowy map.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up The Bureau XCOM Declassified in the steam sale and I expected a terrible game based on everything I'd heard about it. Instead I have a campy shooter about 'Merica :911: fighting aliens during the Cold War.

One of my favorite things is that this underground base has a permanent haze near the ceiling because everyone smokes.

And I just got out of a cutscene where Agent Carter told an alien that his race can come live in 'Merica :911: Land of the Free if he helps out XCOM.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Len posted:

I picked up The Bureau XCOM Declassified in the steam sale and I expected a terrible game based on everything I'd heard about it. Instead I have a campy shooter about 'Merica :911: fighting aliens during the Cold War.

One of my favorite things is that this underground base has a permanent haze near the ceiling because everyone smokes.

And I just got out of a cutscene where Agent Carter told an alien that his race can come live in 'Merica :911: Land of the Free if he helps out XCOM.

Plus if change your tactilneck to a slightly darker black you can pretend to be Archer!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sir Shion posted:

Not that I've confronted her yet - there was a flashback screen from Ringabel which kinda indicated she's a major boss and super powerful, but we'll see!
[/spoiler]

Apparently this is visible through spoiler tags (not to me?) so here's a link:

http://i.imgur.com/FMf38Nel.jpg

Really? That didn't happen to me until I killed her in the false ending.
Still, despite really despising the way they went for the second half (aside from cut-scenes - girl power :3:)
They really did manage to get you to utterly hate Airy every time she supposedly hosed up.

Also, I like how the final bosses actually have an elemental/family weakness. Most RPGs I've played will have a final boss with no weakness/resistances so its a nice change of pace.

Also, as a bit of a heads up - I hope you got a Spirit Master on hand.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

Also, I like how the final bosses actually have an elemental/family weakness. Most RPGs I've played will have a final boss with no weakness/resistances so its a nice change of pace.

This is something that Final Fantasy's never shied away from, which is always nice; usually, at least parts of the final boss have fairly easily targeted weaknesses.

My personal favorite is that the final boss of FFXIII isn't immune to instant death.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In Xcom, you can customise your soldiers' appearance and zoom right in to your base and see them recovering or relaxing between missions.

This guy wears a big purple fedora on the battlefield, but takes it off indoors while his ladyfriend drinks to the memory of her arms and legs.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Mario Kart 8 has a lot of neat visual touches. Your wheels pick up dirt or snow, and get washed off when you go underwater. One of Bowser's taunts/tricks/whatever has him breathing a little fireball, but nothing comes out when he's underwater.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

In Xcom, you can customise your soldiers' appearance and zoom right in to your base and see them recovering or relaxing between missions.

This guy wears a big purple fedora on the battlefield, but takes it off indoors while his ladyfriend drinks to the memory of her arms and legs.

Is that vanilla, or enemy within?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Enemy Within.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

My favourite little thing in X-com has got to be one of the cheats. If you name a soldier certain things, they get bonuses. Like, name him Sid Meier and he becomes an absurdly powerful psionic. My favorite is when you name a soldier Otto Zander, he gets the nickname "Unbreakable" and becomes literally unstoppable.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Canemacar posted:

My favourite little thing in X-com has got to be one of the cheats. If you name a soldier certain things, they get bonuses. Like, name him Sid Meier and he becomes an absurdly powerful psionic. My favorite is when you name a soldier Otto Zander, he gets the nickname "Unbreakable" and becomes literally unstoppable.

Which is a reference to SA. Actually.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bunnyofdoom posted:

Which is a reference to SA. Actually.

It's not quite four balls at the edge of a cliff, but it'll do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bunnyofdoom posted:

All the elements he's describing are form Enemy Within (and the guy in purple onlyw ears that because he's gene-modded), but the base game still has the soldiers chilling out with each other in the base.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

My personal favorite is that the final boss of FFXIII isn't immune to instant death.

The rearmost part of FF5's final boss is immune to the Death spell, but not all instant death effects. Get the other 3 parts out and Odin can Zantentsuken the last one, chopping the final boss into pieces.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
EDIT: This may not count, since it was a glitch, but during one of the briefings in Arma 3 a soldier was bugged out and kept doing the drawing a rifle animation, but no gun was in his hand and he kept doing it over and over again. It really distracted me and was hilarious, I just looked over to my left and there he was, pretending to draw a gun on his superior officer.

VVV fffff

Leal has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jun 26, 2014

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ This is the good things thread, not the bad things thread.

Content: I love the incidental lines the Little Sisters have in Bioshock 2. It's nice to electrocute a splicer and hear "It's dancing, Daddy, dancing!" :3:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim recently, because I only just got it thanks to Steam Summer Sales, and I just did the Clavicus Vile quest.

I have no idea why Barbas sounds almost exactly like Woody Allen, but for some reason its the funniest thing and I love it :3:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MinistryofLard posted:

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim recently, because I only just got it thanks to Steam Summer Sales, and I just did the Clavicus Vile quest.

I have no idea why Barbas sounds almost exactly like Woody Allen, but for some reason its the funniest thing and I love it :3:

When I started that quest, I was following Barbas... and ran into a group Thalmor justicars. Who ran into a bandit encampment. And while the bandits and Thalmor were duking it out, a bear roared, announcing that it had entered the fray.

poo poo had gotten serious.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

When I started that quest, I was following Barbas... and ran into a group Thalmor justicars. Who ran into a bandit encampment. And while the bandits and Thalmor were duking it out, a bear roared, announcing that it had entered the fray.

poo poo had gotten serious.

"Mainly because I spawned them all in"

Was usually how I hosed around in skyrim.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When you're bored, summon a horde!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

When you're bored, summon a horde!

This reminds me, Morrowind had the best glitches, my favorite being one where creating a spell with summon creature and soul trap on target and then firing it directly down at your feet would summon that creature permanently, and you could summon as many of them at once as you wanted (usually casting a summon spell twice despawns the first summon). One of my fondest memories of that game was abusing that glitch to create a necromancer character and then descending on Balmora with an army of skeletons.

You gotta love any game where the glitches just make it even more fun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"He's supercharged with elite weaponry!"
"Looks to me like he's supercharged with a dozen buckets of fried chicken."
- Bulletstorm

Holy poo poo that entire game was pretty much perfect. It actively rewards finding as many ridiculous and gory ways to kill people as possible and it's unlikely you'll be able to find a method of slaughter that is awesome but does not give you points for buying ammo and cool murder upgrades. It's basically a 90s-era FPS combined with Wild 9 and it has swearing that will, Insha'Allah, be preserved in the Louvre.

e; my point is the whole game is favorite little things

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

"He's supercharged with elite weaponry!"
"Looks to me like he's supercharged with a dozen buckets of fried chicken."
- Bulletstorm

Holy poo poo that entire game was pretty much perfect. It actively rewards finding as many ridiculous and gory ways to kill people as possible and it's unlikely you'll be able to find a method of slaughter that is awesome but does not give you points for buying ammo and cool murder upgrades. It's basically a 90s-era FPS combined with Wild 9 and it has swearing that will, Insha'Allah, be preserved in the Louvre.

e; my point is the whole game is favorite little things

I got that for the summer sale and was in fits when the door broke with the RROD right at the start.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I wanted to trade for it (unavailable in my region), but a kind poster mentioned that it's still tied with GFWL and may become impossible to play soon.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

I wanted to trade for it (unavailable in my region), but a kind poster mentioned that it's still tied with GFWL and may become impossible to play soon.

Apparently MS is not the shutting down the service after all, seems they'll keep it up for games that support it and haven't been/won't be updated to remove it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/23/m...name=0&ns_fee=0

That's if I'm reading this correctly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

On the upside, it seemed to get a bunch of developers to patch their games to remove GFWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Veotax posted:

On the upside, it seemed to get a bunch of developers to patch their games to remove GFWL.

I wish they all would, it took me longer to get GFWL to let me even see the title screen in Bulletstorm than it did to download and install the drat thing.