Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Even in Illinois, where old people have to have their licenses renewed every year, a lot of really bad drivers fall through the cracks. I almost got run off the road by an old guy in a Volkswagen, even though we were both leaving a hospital parking lot
And I know it's not "on the road", but someone broke into my car only to steal a bag of sour patch kids and the faceplate off of my $35 radio. What a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

I heard a knock in an oncoming car from 100 yards away with the top down and the radio blaring. Then I heard a loud rattling bang as he went by, and I saw a magnificent cloud of smoke billow out from under the car. As the smoke cleared I saw an oil slick trailing towards the light where the car stopped.

When it went *BANG* I nearly poo poo my pants as he was right beside me at that point. I think it was a 90's Grand Prix.

Man, all of these 3800 stories.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

And I know it's not "on the road", but someone broke into my car only to steal a bag of sour patch kids and the faceplate off of my $35 radio. What a dick
Wait until they do it to a car you hadn't even locked anyway.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Things I hate that are along this vein: People who brake for a turn, but do not signal until they begin the actual turning procedure. Why bother?

Uthor posted:

People who brake after passing where the turn lane starts, then pull partially into the turn lane, then hit their blinker, then ride the line between the turn lane and the straight lane until they make the actual turn. I see someone do that at least once a day and learned to avoid those areas.

More signalling stupidity. There are two lanes going the same direction. At the stop light the left lane turns left or goes straight and the right lane turns right or goes straight. I pull up behind the guy in the left lane and wait out the light. The light turns green and instead of going the genius picks this moment to turn on their left turn signal. Thanks, jackass.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sometimes the people you share the road with are pretty cool.

Sometimes.

Case in point: today on my way home the car in front of me (who was actually going the speed limit or slightly above the whole time) signals that they're turning at the next right, which has a turn lane. But they don't enter it, which aggravates me, and I start braking in preparation for more idiocy. They don't slow down, however, just whip it into the turn with a hint of trail-braking near the apex, and take off down their road at flat chat.

They are driving a mid-90's Buick Roadmaster wagon. :black101: Wanna shake that persons hand.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sometimes you see some really well-executed zipper merges that convenience the poo poo out of everyone. For example, when the guy in front of me whose lane turned into a right-turn-only lane just kept going straight through the intersection and zipper merged pretty effectively as everyone slammed their horns in appreciation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have to give a shout out to the morbidly obese neckbearded fuckwit wearing a dumb hat and driving a clapped out fullsize Dodge pickup (I'm not sure which of these is the worst part) who decided that he should whip it out of the emergency lane on i495N directly in front of a loving dumptruck, doing about 30mph slower than it was. The dumptruck driver was on the horn and I gave him a little moral support too as I zoomed by because the dodge driver looked confused about why people were pissed at him.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Driving a realistic truck simulator for an hour or two should be part of the driver's education so people understand why forcing big trucks to slow down is so aggravating for their drivers.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Collateral Damage posted:

Driving a realistic truck simulator for an hour or two should be part of the driver's education so people understand why forcing big trucks to slow down is so aggravating for their drivers.

Slow down 20 mph, downshift 6 gears. "Ughhh, here we go again..."

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Even in Illinois, where old people have to have their licenses renewed every year, a lot of really bad drivers fall through the cracks. I almost got run off the road by an old guy in a Volkswagen, even though we were both leaving a hospital parking lot

Truth. Today, I came to a stop at a red light behind an old guy in a Crown Vic. He didn't see any oncoming traffic, and just decided to go on through the intersection. He rolled up to the next light (also red) and got into an inside left turn lane, where he could have made a legal left on red. Despite not having any oncoming traffic there, either, he sat there and waited for the light to turn green. By the time it did, my light had turned green and I had just about pulled up behind him again. Once the second light turned, he started going, but took the turn at like 3mph and still managed to cut off another driver who was turning in the outside turn lane.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Leaving an airport last night I got to see some impressively bad driving. Some guy in a Chrysler 300 was heading to the parking lot exit in front of me, and he was straddling the white line the entire length of the lot. Managed to get through the toll booths alright, but when he hit the 4 lane road heading to the interstate he kept slowly drifting form the far left lane all the way to the right lane. No signal, nothing. He was about 1/3 car length in front of me as he starts drifting into my lane (far right)and ignores my blaring horn and flashing my highs at him so I brake hard and he gets in front. I'm pissed but wary at this point so I stay back and then start picking up speed to pass him on the left, so he immediately swerves across 2 lanes to almost hit me again, so I punch it and get around him, at which point he gets on my rear end horn blaring and highs on. I thought he must be drunk at first, but after he tries chasing me down I have no goddamn clue. It scared the poo poo out of my passenger and left me angry and confused. I'm just glad it was pretty late at night so there wasn't anyone else on the road with him.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Passed a black Buick (older, probably late 80s) that was doing 55 in the far left hand lane on the I-5 just south of Everett today on my way home from a day trip down to Woodland Park. The whole right side of the car was smashed inwards, covered in duct tape, and spray painted black.

God, I wish I had gotten a picture of that.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Here is a video of me driving to work today. Some of you may know about this, but I sure didn't know it was a thing until now.

It requires audio, keep it medium-volume, not too quiet, not too loud, to get the full experience of just how jarring this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi6QuNhdd9E

It shocked me and I looked around wondering :wtc: had just happened, and then I was just bemused for a while.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Some dipshit in the oncoming lane pulled a left directly in front of me during my morning commute, I locked 'em up and went from 60-0 in less than the width of the intersection. The fucker didn't stop and was long-gone by the time I thought to get their plate, and since it was a beige mid-2000's 4-door, there's basically no chance of recognizing them in the future. I can't wait to see my skid mark tomorrow morning, though!

The good news, my body and my car both live to fight another day. The bad, one or more of my tires have a noticeable flat spot in them now and I don't know if they'll get better or worse the more I drive. The road through the intersection is incredibly abrasive raked concrete, probably saved my rear end but must have acted like a cheese grater on sliding rubber.

The bump-bump-bump I feel is no more severe than what you'd feel running over crosswalk striping, but it wasn't there before and it's a point of concern. Thoughts?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

NoWake posted:

I can't wait to see my skid mark tomorrow morning, though!

You didn't change your underwear as soon as you got home?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

NoWake posted:

Some dipshit in the oncoming lane pulled a left directly in front of me during my morning commute, I locked 'em up and went from 60-0 in less than the width of the intersection. The fucker didn't stop and was long-gone by the time I thought to get their plate, and since it was a beige mid-2000's 4-door, there's basically no chance of recognizing them in the future. I can't wait to see my skid mark tomorrow morning, though!

The good news, my body and my car both live to fight another day. The bad, one or more of my tires have a noticeable flat spot in them now and I don't know if they'll get better or worse the more I drive. The road through the intersection is incredibly abrasive raked concrete, probably saved my rear end but must have acted like a cheese grater on sliding rubber.

The bump-bump-bump I feel is no more severe than what you'd feel running over crosswalk striping, but it wasn't there before and it's a point of concern. Thoughts?
You need (a) new tire(s). Learn how to not lock them up next time - you'll stop faster and you won't have to buy new tires.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

tuna posted:

A loving horse or something.

I don't see it, what was that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sleepy.eyes posted:

I think it was some crazy joke horn?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think it was some crazy joke horn?

Yep. Something I've apparently just learned about.

sleepy.eyes posted:

My exact thought at the time first thing in the morning. It was super loud and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary anywhere around me.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Sometimes the crosswalks will make animal noises. The ones in downtown Nashville make cuckoo clock noises.

Sorry for the PDF but this is the only thing I could find.

http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/Articles/TechArticles/Audible%20Signal%20Devices%20for%20Pedestrial%20Crosswalks.pdf

I think the point of this is to help low vision/blind people know when it's safe to cross.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

Sometimes the crosswalks will make animal noises. The ones in downtown Nashville make cuckoo clock noises.

Sorry for the PDF but this is the only thing I could find.

http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/Articles/TechArticles/Audible%20Signal%20Devices%20for%20Pedestrial%20Crosswalks.pdf

I think the point of this is to help low vision/blind people know when it's safe to cross.

The crosswalks around me in LA do bird chirps to walk. Some close to where I live also speak to you in a horrifying Robocop voice. "WAIT", they demand. "CROSS VENICE NOW", they order.

The sounds I recorded came from a car though, since they followed me down the street for a mile.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Phoenix uses the Robocop voice, then a machine gun noise when it's time to cross. I'm not joking

http://youtu.be/p28QONEGQe8

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Geirskogul posted:

Phoenix uses the Robocop voice, then a machine gun noise when it's time to cross. I'm not joking

Portland does this too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geirskogul posted:

Some Australian pedestrian crossings have the machine gun effect as well, but don't have a countdown or a voice telling you to what to do.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The machine gun sound scared the hell out of a dog I was walking the other day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Coming home on I-64E today, cruise set at 78, almost no traffic, life is good. Start gaining on a newer Highlander, New Jersey plate # LGV 46A, and I go to pass. As soon as I get in the left lane, I stop gaining on them. Whatever, I'll just get back behind them, still plenty of following distance. Soon as I get back over I start gaining on them again. Go to pass, they increase speed again. I decide I'd rather not dance with retards and increase speed to 85. He follows suit, once I'm half a car length ahead. So, I just mat the gas and take it to 100. Once he's good and distant, I'll drop back to 80 and forget about it. A couple miles later I catch up with slower traffic, so dickhead also catches up. He gets right on my rear end, and keeps trying to pass me on the right (but cannot, because there are even slower cars littering that lane and he keeps getting stuck behind them :laugh:). He finally gets enough opening to get next to me, does so, and suddenly swerves towards me. Unnerved, I start slowing down, he follows suit. Then his window comes down and a cup of ice is tossed at my windshield. So I called the state police and reported his rear end. As soon as he saw my phone come out he slammed on the brakes, got behind me, and stayed about 10 car lengths away until I took my exit.

Hope you like talking to Staties, you loving childish shitstain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're a horrible jerk for not agreeing to travel the exact speed he decided was the appropriate speed for everyone. How dare you make your own decisions. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I saw the most marvellous parking job earlier today at the grocery store. It wasn't just slightly askew, it had to be nearly at 30 degrees to the parking stall. Luckily, it worked out very well for me, because it meant that, although the corners of our vehicles were close, I had plenty of room to open the drivers door because that part of the offending truck was a good two feet away from it. I just don't get how you could possibly be so lazy about parking.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

PT6A posted:

I saw the most marvellous parking job earlier today at the grocery store. It wasn't just slightly askew, it had to be nearly at 30 degrees to the parking stall. Luckily, it worked out very well for me, because it meant that, although the corners of our vehicles were close, I had plenty of room to open the drivers door because that part of the offending truck was a good two feet away from it. I just don't get how you could possibly be so lazy about parking.

There is a lady in my office parking lot that is very lazy about parking. When entering there is an isle on the the right and then a median followed by an isle that goes by the parking garage to the right. She turns at the second isle and keeps turning into a spot next to the garage, but never straightens out. She just parks with her wheels still pointing to the right and if she wound up in the middle of two spots she doesn't care. That lot doesn't get too crowded and its away from visitor parking, but her parking just looks extra lazy every time I get into work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Alighieri posted:

There is a lady in my office parking lot that is very lazy about parking. When entering there is an isle on the the right and then a median followed by an isle that goes by the parking garage to the right. She turns at the second isle and keeps turning into a spot next to the garage, but never straightens out. She just parks with her wheels still pointing to the right and if she wound up in the middle of two spots she doesn't care. That lot doesn't get too crowded and its away from visitor parking, but her parking just looks extra lazy every time I get into work.

Eh, I used to have a coworker who was so bad at parking they would come inside and ask one of us to park their car (a late-model Corolla) for them. It was a bit of a tight lot (kept repainting the line as the number of people at the office grew) but I drove a 3/4 ton pickup truck all the time with only minimal complaints about my douchebaggery.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

PT6A posted:

One of the guys at my office has a newer F150 quad cab and cannot color inside the lines to save his life.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My office has a lot of parking for how any people work there, so it doesn't inconvenience much when people do stupid poo poo.

Lately I've noticed an Impala (couple generations old, decent shape but nothing special) parking exactly straddling the line between two spaces, I'm assuming to protect it from dings?

This one guy DDs a Chevy 3500 crew cab with extended axle to our office job (I have one time seen anything in the bed). He has started parking in the first spot of the lot right in front of a light post. The back of his truck sticks out a good five feet out of the space and into the through aisle. There's always twenty other spots open where it wouldn't get in anyone's way.

My boss likes to park at a 45 degree angle at the back corner of the lot. They didn't bother painting spaces all the way to the end, so there is a big empty square for him. There are never any other cars back there, so he isn't bothering anyone except himself with a long walk. He has a fleet of Fords, but ironically ended up parking his nicest car (60s Mustang) right up front next to the door last week.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, that reminds me of the terrible parking job I saw a few days ago.

It looked even worse from the front, but that picture is mysteriously absent from my phone's memory.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Passed a black Buick (older, probably late 80s) that was doing 55 in the far left hand lane on the I-5 just south of Everett today on my way home from a day trip down to Woodland Park. The whole right side of the car was smashed inwards, covered in duct tape, and spray painted black.

God, I wish I had gotten a picture of that.

Washington.jpg

Why do people in your state drive so slow in the left and center lanes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've given up on figuring that one out

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

blk posted:

Washington.jpg

Why do people in your state drive so slow in the left and center lanes?

This has been asked many times on local papers and news. Some of the responses said "speed limit is 60 so I am doing the speed limit". They literally play a passive aggressive traffic cop. And god help you when you try to pass these assholes.

They also refuse to pull over for emergency vehicles.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Solar Coaster posted:

This has been asked many times on local papers and news. Some of the responses said "speed limit is 60 so I am doing the speed limit". They literally play a passive aggressive traffic cop. And god help you when you try to pass these assholes.

Same thing in Calgary -- there's always a bunch of jerk-offs writing smug letters to the editor. "It's a speed limit, guys! If I want to go 90 km/h in the left lane of Deerfoot, it's my right, and if you speed, you're breaking the law!"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I would be happy if I actually could just set my cruise control at the speed limit but these fuckers speed up and slow down constantly and also like to match speed when they're in your blind spot. :arghfist:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solar Coaster posted:

They also refuse to pull over for emergency vehicles.

Watch those stupid fuckers scream every time you mention that WA state is a "keep right except to pass state". The legal text even includes an amendment from the legislature stating in plain English that the primary intent of the left lane is for passing.

Even on this forum folks will argue that into the ground until you post the WSP video about how they ticket folks for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Watch those stupid fuckers scream every time you mention that WA state is a "keep right except to pass state". The legal text even includes an amendment from the legislature stating in plain English that the primary intent of the left lane is for passing.

Even on this forum folks will argue that into the ground until you post the WSP video about how they ticket folks for doing that.

So true. To the people who are pro left lane campers, they never realize that they do not know what is going on in the vehicle trying to pass them. I've had to rush someone once to the hospital and it was so infuriating trying to get around those campers.

Also people can't seem to understand that also in Washington state the law is if you are holding up 5+ vehicles then by law you must pull over and let the traffic pass. In fact, there are signs on the side of the road that state this law. But because people around here are loving morons and theres so many goddamn transplants (I'm looking at you OR and CA), no one pays attention and its a free for all. Stuck behind someone? Too loving bad.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 21, 2014