Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
If you move the cursor over to the storage battery, you can (r)efill the bettery with any loose batteries you're carrying, a hundred is usually enough to get enough charge to start the car (do make sure do drop all of them first if you've been stockpiling), then you can drive around or just let it idle and the motor will generate energy automatically. It's why sometimes you'll see cars around with no gas and a full battery charge, the motor was still running when the vehicle spawned and filled up the battery via the alternator until the car ran out of gas. Nice if the controls are still intact and you really want to finish reading a book and can't find a intact console screen anywhere (labs, shelters, radio stations, banks are usually good sources of those)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Turtlicious posted:

I made a fork, but no goons wanted to contribute.

I can chip in some stuff with a little bit of supervision. I'm not really amazing at playing with code, but I can at least figure stuff out. :ohdear:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On the subject of cars and power, I know that sticking multiple engines in will give you more horsepower than you'll ever likely need, but does the same apply to alternators? Because I was having trouble keeping my mobile base (tool charger, minifridge, kitchen buddy, chem lab, and half a dozen headlights) powered in my easy mode world.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Dareon posted:

On the subject of cars and power, I know that sticking multiple engines in will give you more horsepower than you'll ever likely need, but does the same apply to alternators? Because I was having trouble keeping my mobile base (tool charger, minifridge, kitchen buddy, chem lab, and half a dozen headlights) powered in my easy mode world.

Did you have any solar panels?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of which, I found it hilarious how two V12 engines can not only get your killdozer flying down the highway, but also deafen the poo poo out of you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Strumpie posted:

Did you have any solar panels?

Yes, but it was parked in a garage. :v:

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

nftyw posted:

If you move the cursor over to the storage battery, you can (r)efill the bettery with any loose batteries you're carrying, a hundred is usually enough to get enough charge to start the car (do make sure do drop all of them first if you've been stockpiling), then you can drive around or just let it idle and the motor will generate energy automatically. It's why sometimes you'll see cars around with no gas and a full battery charge, the motor was still running when the vehicle spawned and filled up the battery via the alternator until the car ran out of gas. Nice if the controls are still intact and you really want to finish reading a book and can't find a intact console screen anywhere (labs, shelters, radio stations, banks are usually good sources of those)

oh man thanks. I had a bunch of batteries loaded in a welder and took them out, charged the battery and now I've got a car!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm playing through again after an almost 6 month hiatus to let them do things, so here's a trip report.
There's more content than ever, obviously.

- New vehicles, (TANKS :black101:) locations and building variation add a lot to the game and the feeling of exploration and with biomes being introduced I think they will add a lot.
- The cash card/ATM/vending machine system is well done and adds some new possibilities to the idea of scavenging cities, with increased chances and ways to run into alarms and police bots which is exciting.
- Reworks to melee/blocking/armour are huge steps up, in particular the armour as you now take a lot more damage no matter what. Armour is far more important to resist damage and not breaking after getting hit a few times like normal clothing does make the world flat out more dangerous without being some stupid system or addition.

They've done a lot of balancing and going back to update systems/consistency with the way diseases/materials/values/rarity/availability of items which does have a subtle but noticeable and beneficial effect if you've played Cataclysm for years. It's harder to find more advanced equipment but you will still get lucky finds and the game is more consistent at giving you reliable ways of finding/crafting basic items so you're never totally stuck by something which is great. For example the way guns stores now spawn ammo/weapons/craftables is very clever and well implemented with multiple ways you can tackle the problem.

All of this does reveal one thing though, I think the game is better and not yet in grognard territory at all, but there is a distinct lack of major additions. It's mostly tweaking and smaller additions, I did some testing of the new book system and it's not something to be worried about. It adds a little more tedium, yes, but for practical purposes all it means is you have to skim a book (which is very fast) to learn all the things you used to automatically know. Being able to craft from non learnt recipes is very useful, the halved recipe learning rate is not.

Lastly, I've been helping a new player with buttons and the more intricate or obfuscated systems Cataclysm uses and they wrote a nice blurb for other new players who might check the thread:

quote:

Cataclysm is pretty different from more traditional roguelikes in that it's a sandbox rather than a dungeon diver. Some people may not like that, but I'm a big fan of sandbox games, so I do. I've only been playing for a little while, but I can already see that there's a *lot* to do in this game. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes roguelikes and sandbox games. :thumbsup:

Sorry for :words:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I think one of the neatest things after having gone so long without NPCs is making a world with them on and seeing what kind of broken random loot they drop. So far I've found a lightstrip that is on but not draining batteries, serving as a portable light source for reading, a chainsaw latanjang that has the same deal going on (absolutely murderous, that thing) a fusion blaster that somehow is not part of a fusion blaster arm bionic and has infinite ammo (also hilarious), a diamond knife (I've never found one of those machines that supposedly let you make these)... I also remember way back before 0.A finding a "nearby fire" item which could be carried around and thus letting you cook wherever and whenever you wanted no questions asked.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
It's a real shame NPCs are broken, same with Hordes. They're both something I'd love to see along with the z-axis for proper multi storey buildings. :sigh:

And helicopters would be awesome because crashing them would be hilarious.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
NPCs wailing on you/zombie bears wielding a .22 casing is always hilarious. On a related note, can they not open metal doors unless in your "party"?
I've found a house with a sweet above-ground shelter area with metal doors and haven't had any random NPCs wander in, though I would always get one after another if I tried to setup a base in a basement or LMOE shelter (or even a random cave in the middle of nowhere). Wish you could just command them to not pickup any items, so you could actually have friendly NPCs in your base.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 14, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

nftyw posted:

I think one of the neatest things after having gone so long without NPCs is making a world with them on and seeing what kind of broken random loot they drop. So far I've found a lightstrip that is on but not draining batteries, serving as a portable light source for reading, a chainsaw latanjang that has the same deal going on (absolutely murderous, that thing) a fusion blaster that somehow is not part of a fusion blaster arm bionic and has infinite ammo (also hilarious), a diamond knife (I've never found one of those machines that supposedly let you make these)... I also remember way back before 0.A finding a "nearby fire" item which could be carried around and thus letting you cook wherever and whenever you wanted no questions asked.

The machine for making those comes in science lab finales and looks like a block of dark grey ampersands.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

I've found a house with a sweet above-ground shelter area with metal doors and haven't had any random NPCs wander in, though I would always get one after another if I tried to setup a base in a basement or LMOE shelter (or even a random cave in the middle of nowhere). Wish you could just command them to not pickup any items, so you could actually have friendly NPCs in your base.
A suggestion I made on the official forums

quote:

Craftable head-on-a-pike
Crafted from named corpse + wooden spear. Can be placed.
When placed no survivors will spawn within 3 map tiles. Any non-hostile survivor that would approach within three map tiles will either turn around and move at least ten map tiles away (80% chance) or become hostile (20% chance).
Major Speech penalty while you are within 10 map tiles of it.

(Basically a way to give fair warning that anyone who thinks they can wander into my shelter and start filching my loot is going to get an arrow in the face.)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Anyone know what the Y screen (zones) is for?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Anyone know what the Y screen (zones) is for?

Zoning is a new system they're trying out, at the moment it's really only the ground work to do other things later.

You know you guys wanted to designate areas for NPCs and such? Well this is it. Zoning will allow you to set paths or go/no-go areas for NPCs and other such functionality. Currently the only thing you can do is set an area that disables autopickup for your homebase.

Relevant Github commit here.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 14, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That'd be awesome if you could eventually use it to get NPC's to do housekeeping. Cut down trees, build walls, ceilings, move stuff into various organized piles and so forth.

Cataclysm Fortress would rule.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That'd be awesome if you could eventually use it to get NPC's to do housekeeping. Cut down trees, build walls, ceilings, move stuff into various organized piles and so forth.

Cataclysm Fortress would rule.

I'd rather be able to win.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a sandbox game. If you need to win just set some arbitrary goal.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Forgotten beast Jabberwock has appeared! James Parker has been struck down. Susan Walker has been struck down. Lawyer Killer has been struck down.

Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A kung fu hobo is one of the silliest starts, but it's remarkably effective. I mean, you naturally have some synergy with the starting booze equipment and Drunken Master, but it's not the kind of thing you expect to survive the zombie apocalypse.

I'm currently hauling a shopping cart full of books and tools around, swilling cheap wine just before Tiger Styling a zombie's face in.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Reports from a quick look at the latest version:
-new reading rules aren't too annoying (there's also now a penalty for reading in low-light environments so a nice encouragement to actually bother with lamps/candles)
-there are now rollerskates in the game :woop:
-fire stations are awesome (sweet gear/metal doors)

Wish the dino mod replaced the damned zolfs/zombears with dinosarus. Tired of fighting those drat things.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Can anyone comment on the whole tetanus thing? I saw that in thread a while ago and it sounded horrible but I don't know what became of it.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Admiral Funk posted:

Can anyone comment on the whole tetanus thing? I saw that in thread a while ago and it sounded horrible but I don't know what became of it.
Of about 40 characters in recent versions, I think I've had one biker possibly contract tetanus (they kept spasming and collapsing for no reason).
Pretty sure it got toned way down.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
The one thing that really needs adressing, in my opinion, is that the difficulty is entirely front-loaded. Surviving the first week can be extremely hard, especially if you don't find the proper gear or start with a suboptimal character, since you simply don't have the tools to deal with what the game throws at you. After that, the challenge more or less disappears, since the game never starts getting tougher and you're just left finding ways to make yourself even more overpowered.

One thing I would like to see is the world becoming gradually more hostile and hosed up. Like, at first you just need to deal with classic zombies, then you start seeing the special types, woodland animals turn to monsters, eventually portals start spawning hell creatures, the weather gets far more extreme, that kind of thing. Really force you to use the skills and resources you've accumulated.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Capilarean posted:

The one thing that really needs adressing, in my opinion, is that the difficulty is entirely front-loaded. Surviving the first week can be extremely hard, especially if you don't find the proper gear or start with a suboptimal character, since you simply don't have the tools to deal with what the game throws at you. After that, the challenge more or less disappears, since the game never starts getting tougher and you're just left finding ways to make yourself even more overpowered.

One thing I would like to see is the world becoming gradually more hostile and hosed up. Like, at first you just need to deal with classic zombies, then you start seeing the special types, woodland animals turn to monsters, eventually portals start spawning hell creatures, the weather gets far more extreme, that kind of thing. Really force you to use the skills and resources you've accumulated.
Yeah, you can only really challenge yourself by seeking out labs/outposts etc... Organized bandits/raiders once the factions are off the ground should be interesting. That Necropolis idea is cool if it isn't just a huge slog through hordes of ordinary zombies and has challenging special monsters/obstacles.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Cataclysm has always been front-loaded on difficulty, and it has improved with the progression in danger of the wildlife.
Hopefully as things like winter, hordes, biomes, necropoli, 'titans?' get worked in there will be much more of a mid-game established. However, the 'dangerous' things for skilled characters to do has always been willingly seeking out danger in labs/temples/mines etc. so that's not going to change.

As for feedback, book reading is indeed not very bad and has been tweaked more to make it less grindy along with tetanus that got completely scaled back and antibiotics cure it so no problem. Personally I try to work with sub optimal characters as well as using a 3.5x monster spawn rate to make things challenging.

There was an upcoming 'sanitised' mod that would've removed the more suspect items in the game like maid outfits, bondage suits, fur suits etc. which was nice. Until one of the main contributors threw a fit about it being hatred against women and ruining the 'core' game. (Open source drama and contributor entitlement :toot:) Luckily Granade was a voice of sanity in this instance and made it himself for those who want it, here. There's a list of items that it removes, mostly things like fedoras, et al. You're also free to change the list how you like to add/remove things.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 22, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Capilarean posted:

That actually happens already. Most people just never see it because they die first or get bored and start over.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah, I, uh, got a bit surprised by the vibrator item. I was in an underground cold lab (-13C or something), found one in a closet, and thought using it would work kinda like the radio (i.e. buzzing against something creates a noise that attracts creatures).

This was not the case.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Why do people want to remove all watches from the game? :psyduck:
(infinite batteries maybe? I just assume they are all futuristic solar watches)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's even futuristic about that, solar powered digital watches have existed for decades.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
You guys are overthinking this: Seiko 5 - Automatic Mechanical Watch

Momentum powered self-winding watches have been a thing for a very long time.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
The choices seem very strange for the most part, and arguments on both sides of the debate were :spergin:.
My 'blacklist' pretty much only covers the furry outfits, and tippable Fedora.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Strumpie posted:

My 'blacklist' pretty much only covers the furry outfits, and tippable Fedora.

Holy crap, this is actually a thing? I hope it was added as a joke, because I can't imagine how big a dork you'd have to be to actually want to add that to a game about zombies.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

Holy crap, this is actually a thing? I hope it was added as a joke, because I can't imagine how big a dork you'd have to be to actually want to add that to a game about zombies.
The fedora that the Indiana Jones (Nethack style archeologist) class starts with is indeed tippable. :lol:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
The tipping of the Fedora was added by Granade by request I believe, but he's the one who wanted it gone so. :shrug:

It comes up every so often these 'hilarious' jokes that get added in, always a problem with small insular communities. Such as the outrage that Granade wanted some of them removed, how dare he ruin the game!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's wrong with tippable fedoras?

If you don't want to play the game like a dumbass you don't have to, but I like that the game gives you the option to run around in a gimp suit flailing a chainsaw lajtang like an idiot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Videogames are already embarrassing enough to play without having literal self-insert fanfiction of fat furry neckbeards in it. If this game had any graphics it would be featured in the Awful Mods thread.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to change the viewstyle because the extremely long but very slim view of your surroundings is super disorienting for planning stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Videogames are already embarrassing enough to play without having literal self-insert fanfiction of fat furry neckbeards in it. If this game had any graphics it would be featured in the Awful Mods thread.

Have you played Dead Rising 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The fedora-tipping thing just sounds like a harmless (and pointless) joke. The vibrator would be ok if it was just a useless item you can get batteries and parts from. The countless fetish gear clothing items just clutter up the crafting screen and is a good example of the kind of poo poo that eventually turns the game into a circlejerk for weirdos (like what happened to HellMOO).