Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I forget the correct term for it but there's a lot of resistance to vacuum from heavy liquids. The oil being warm will help quite a bit, but you're not going to get it to flow quickly in any case, the oil is just too thick to move fast through a hose that size.

New page, horrible mechanical failure pics of Revelations' Mustang clutch going boom:

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
found this in the gibbis OSHA.jpg thread:

:stare:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

PBCrunch posted:

I plan on removing oil from warm engines in the future, this was only a test. I couldn't think of an easy way to warm up the skunky old oil in the jug. I will try pulsing the pump also.

Just tee in a vent to atmosphere with an aquarium air valve, you can bleed off vacuum. Honestly, the oil needs to be warm.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can't even fathom what allowed that huge rear end piece of metal to be bent like a banana.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tater_salad posted:

I can't even fathom what allowed that huge rear end piece of metal to be bent like a banana.

Well, you know how diesel engines have massive low-end torque? It's a diesel the size of a small apartment building.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PBCrunch posted:

I plan on removing oil from warm engines in the future, this was only a test. I couldn't think of an easy way to warm up the skunky old oil in the jug. I will try pulsing the pump also.

Hair dryer/heat gun. Be careful not to melt the plastic container though. Also try priming the oil hose and keeping the container below the oil pan for some siphon assist.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm still confused about how this is in any way easier than just pulling the drain plug and letting gravity do the work, but I suppose it's a fun project to dick around with.

That truck sized con rod bent into a U is insane.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm still confused about how this is in any way easier than just pulling the drain plug and letting gravity do the work, but I suppose it's a fun project to dick around with.

That truck sized con rod bent into a U is insane.

I had a Dodge Nitro come in for an oil change the other day and a bunch of pan-side threads came out with the plug. Owner gets called out to the shop to see it and he says "yeah that happened the last couple times, that's why I started taking it to a shop for oil changes." :cripes: An edge case, sure, but a siphon would be a lot better than ever pulling that plug again.

PBCrunch is probably looking to be able to do oil changes without getting under the car.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Maybe you could try putting a needle valve or something on a line teed from the pump to allow it to pump at full capacity while throttling the vacuum to the bucket. Bleed in air so it doesn't have to get it all from the easy to collapse plastic bit.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tater_salad posted:

The internet says that conrod is from a Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C, so depending on the number of cylinders,

between 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 million ft/lbs of torque.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PBCrunch posted:

Any other ideas?

The very first thing that occurred to me was to make a cross out of PVC and use it to brace the bucket internally. Maybe 2 or 3 of them at different heights. Drill some breather holes top and bottom to let oil in so air doesn't make them float to the top.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joat mon posted:

The internet says that conrod is from a Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C, so depending on the number of cylinders,

Dang that's a lot of torque. It's just insane to see that and start thinking about the forces involved.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oil can be a killer for pressurized / vacuum devices. I bought one of those hand pump top up pumps for diff oil changes. Only got two uses out of it before the effects of the goo 85W/140 gear oil tore the pump apart. Dealing with the oily mess was not fun. Especially because even new it reeked to high hell and stuck to everything like molasses.
In hindsight, maybe putting the pump bottle in a deep tray of hot water or something may have helped a little.

Not really horrible, just kind of weird.
The water pump I took off the Fairlane. The impeller coating was essentially intact. A few pits that looked like the result of cavitation. Inner partof the bearing was still shiny. Everything looked good. but the pipe for the lower hose looked like it had been on the bottom of the ocean, and the steel fittings were perforated, thinner than paper and not even cylindrical any more. Ie it couldn't hold coolant.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

I bet that made a noise, and then made a really loud noise.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

kastein posted:

Funny thing is that because of the rectifier design, a full-on squarewave UPS output is ideal for non power factor corrected PSUs. Stepped sine just sucks, but is better than sine.

For A-PFC, it depends on the design, I guess. Depending on how smart the controller is (if it's just reacting to input voltage change, or using a sine wave reference and a feedback loop to react to minor changes, really) it may or may not matter at all.

Yea I should have clarified my post. None sine wave inverters work best on power supplies that just have a simple input bridge and capacitor filter. In fact, those power supplies could run of DC without an issue.
PFC aware ones though, they can get all kinds of messed up with "modified sine wave" inverters. Which are really just a hacked up square wave.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

joat mon posted:

Jesus christ. 5.5M foot pounds is literally half a mile-ton of torque.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

PBCrunch posted:

If you can locate an actual pressure vessel, IE, old air compressor storage tank, it would work a lot better but you still gotta find a way to drain it heh. Or, use a flexible vane pump on the oil side, and just ignore the vacuum thing all together.

http://www.sccpumps.com/html/flex_impeller_pumps.html
The one of the right is perfect. 12 volts.

Also, now that i do a bit more research, perhaps a vane pump might be less prone to destroying itself. You want a fairly slow pump, but it must be able to self prime.. IE, form its own vacuum.

Ok, maybe not that price but yea. The flexible vane pumps self prime, are pretty immune to contaminates in the oil, and will get you a decent flow rate.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 19, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kastein posted:

Jesus christ. 5.5M foot pounds is literally half a mile-ton of torque.

Or 150 rod-tons.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joat mon posted:

Or 150 149 rod-tons.
you forgot to deduct one for the bent rod.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

tater_salad posted:

drat! :golfclap:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

joat mon posted:

Or 150 rod-tons.

Are we gonna play this game? Because my crapcan gets 5 furlongs per gill, but only if I keep the speed under 70 cubits per ohm-farad. Those giant low speed diesels are insanely efficient, they are some of the only internal combustion engines to exceed 50% thermal efficiency.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll have you know my car gets 65 light-milliseconds to the hogshead. :smug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

tater_salad posted:

:vince:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I actually posted this to waffle images back in the early days of this thread and have been looking for the photo again ever since, thank you

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nmfree posted:

I bet that made a noise, and then made a really loud noise.

Ya I would have loved to hear what that sounded like.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Chinatown posted:

Ya I would have loved to hear what that sounded like.
As if millions of torques suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

nmfree posted:

As if millions of torques suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

More like as if hundreds of thousands of torques cried out in terror, then were brutally forced onwards by the eleven remaining pistons.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Vacuum chat:

My shop has an aspirator screwed into a 55 gallon drum, with a piece of like 1" radiator hose for the suction end. Hook up the shop air, dump the hose into whatever you want to suck up, and open the valve. It'll suck 40L of cold hydraulic oil out of a Bobcat chaincase in a couple of minutes. I've put my hand over the end to block it and it didn't collapse the barrel, so you could probably use a smaller hose no problem.

Also content:

So we were emptying out that barrel into our used oil vat, and managed to puncture it. Someone needed the vacuum right away so I grabbed the closest used drum I could find and screwed it back in. I noticed the dent, but didn't really click that it being out of round would be a problem, and:

So I guess if you go this route then don't use a utility grapple to lift your full barrel. Also don't replace it with a dented one.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Horrible cause look at that broken frame.

A success in that it is still driven daily, even if the owner is an idiot.
This is in Northern VA, where they have annual inspections, that are a bit more than the bare minimum.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Is that truck body on frame or unibody? Here in the rust belt I've seen a number of body on frame trucks with rotten saggy cab/box mounts that give that appearance. Still pretty bad, but better than folding in half.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
It's body on frame, in fact the bed is so rusted away you can clearly see the frame if you boost the brightness a bit.

edit: Holy Christ! I just went to the link and zoomed in and not only is one frame rail broken in half, they have stuck on a piece from another bed that is parallel to the cab but not the rest of the bed.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 20, 2014

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
Woops

As it turns out, 600Nm is not enough torque to fasten wheel bolts on forklifts.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Found why the fuel pump didnt work!

Pos and neg wires stripped next to each other, inside the fuel tank....

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops douple post.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wouldn't that be a potential sparky flame boom?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Naaaaaaahhhh...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is there enough air inside a fuel tank for the fumes to actually burn, though?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fucknag posted:

They put nitrogen overpressure gear on aircraft tanks to avoid fuel/air mixtures in the dry space above the fuel level, so I'd say "Yes".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Probably should have posted this here instead of terrible things, so have a crosspost.

Parked in front of a customer's house - he said it went up in flames around 2am. Asked them if they'd had the cruise control recall done, they said they'd never heard of it until the firefighters told them what likely caused the fire. :doh: Good thing it wasn't in the garage.

97-02 F-150. Thankfully with full coverage.

e: not much useful left on it, except for the bed, rear axle, tailgate, and rear bumper. Rear wheels too. Nothing left of the interior at all, I assume the transmission would be pretty hosed from the heat too, right?

Fucknag posted:

Yes and no.

There might be enough for an initial flame, but it'd run out of oxygen quickly.

IPCRESS posted:

They put nitrogen overpressure gear on aircraft tanks to avoid fuel/air mixtures in the dry space above the fuel level, so I'd say "Yes".

Aircraft carry a little more than your typical automotive fuel tank.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

some texas redneck posted:

Probably should have posted this here instead of terrible things, so have a crosspost.

Parked in front of a customer's house - he said it went up in flames around 2am. Asked them if they'd had the cruise control recall done, they said they'd never heard of it until the firefighters told them what likely caused the fire. :doh: Good thing it wasn't in the garage.

97-02 F-150. Thankfully with full coverage.

e: not much useful left on it, except for the bed, rear axle, tailgate, and rear bumper. Rear wheels too. Nothing left of the interior at all, I assume the transmission would be pretty hosed from the heat too, right?

The aftermarket replacement we sell at work comes with a new harness/pigtail, and has for years. Comes with a different style connector, one that won't hopefully fail in the same spectacular fashion.