Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Theme Ingredient: NONE

We've all heard about kosher in one way or another either in conversation, or perhaps in a thread here and there.
There are some crazy rules to kosher that don't even make sense to some of us within the tribe. :can:
This theme is more about making something that shouldn't be possible to have as kosher done in at least kosher style.

Low Effort Example: Beef Burrito with Vegan Sour Cream

This is more of a style/creative/think outside the box ICSA.

Here are the basic rules of Kosher you will be expected to keep in mind for this contest:
No Shellfish.
No fish without scales (Catfish/shark/eel no. Salmon/Trout/etc yes.)
No Pork.
No Meat and (animal) Dairy mixed together.

Bonus points for using kosher area cuts but not required:

Here is where you guys get to shine: ALL SUBSTITUTES/FakeFoods ARE LEGAL.
Tofu, almond/rice/soy milk, Krab, beef/turkey bacon, etc. etc. etc.

I am not concerned about the items actually being kosher, but ideas of making something that normally wouldn't be thought of being kosher as kosher is the name of the game.

Basically, we will follow the letter of the law, but screw the spirit/intent.

Your Challenge:
:jewish:
Make a meal (main+side/cassarole) that no one would ever expect to be kosher, as close to kosher/kosher style as possible using the above restrictions.
:jewish:

DEADLINE: Saturday June 21st 11:59PM CDT.

Prize: $25 Amazon Gift Cert to the Winner.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Note: This is my first ICSA, so I'm flexible on the rules, and will be more than willing to discuss anything in thread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Normally I hate fake poo poo but hey, if it's the theme, then it's the theme, and since the last time I entered Jewish food in an ICSA I won, maybe I should try again. I think I should be less busy this time around, such that I'll actually be able to enter...

edit: actually June 14th is like super soon. Can you bump the deadline up like a week or something? If I'm the only whiner then feel free not to budge.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The hindquarters are not usually sold as kosher because it's labor intensive, not necessarily forbidden. When the patriarch Jacob was wrestling with an angel, the angel touched him on the sciatic nerve and caused him to limp, so Jews don't eat that specifically. It's possible but not common to get hindquarter cuts.

Fish have to have fins and scales, and mammals have to have split hooves and chew their cud. Strangely, red dye #5 is not allowed because it comes from insect exoskeletons and functionally all insects are not kosher. If this was a teach the forums about keeping kosher, I would have ya'll beat in a second.

I'm slightly confused by the challenge, possibly because I know about keeping kosher. Are you thinking more of traditionally culturally kosher food from Eastern european (ashkenazi) cuisine like matzoh balls, pickled herring, lox, or chulent? The inverse of your challenge would be something like artisanal catfish lox or a pork chulent (nonkosher animal prepared in a culturally Jewish fashion). The challenge as stated reads to me like "make a meat dish with some fake dairy or a dairy dish with some fake meat". Is that what you are going for?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm slightly confused by the challenge, possibly because I know about keeping kosher. Are you thinking more of traditionally culturally kosher food from Eastern european (ashkenazi) cuisine like matzoh balls, pickled herring, lox, or chulent? The inverse of your challenge would be something like artisanal catfish lox or a pork chulent (nonkosher animal prepared in a culturally Jewish fashion). The challenge as stated reads to me like "make a meat dish with some fake dairy or a dairy dish with some fake meat". Is that what you are going for?

Somewhat. I've kept mildly kosher before, and have cooked for kosher friends.

What I was going for was more of make a kosher-ish analogue of traditionally non-kosher items.

THEME EXAMPLE
Country Fried Steak w/Gravy and Green Beans

Using margarine and almond milk, you could make a parve/non-dairy gravy.
Serve it with southern style green beans and use either smoked turkey or beef bacon.
Most people know white gravy is milk based, and greenbeans+porkmeat/smoke so there's the trick.

Sidechat: We should TOTALLY have a kosher thread sometime. We can talk hechsher, crazy silly rules, where to find kosher cheese, complain about kosher prices and more!

I'm fine with pushing the date back. 11:59pm June 21 it is!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 3, 2014

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
I would really like to participate, but I am not sure I can make the deadline. Maybe I'll do a submission and forgo any prize just for the fun of it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I may have an entry this evening, depending on whether my dinner turns out looking good enough to share without shame. :v: I assume a vegetarian cheese"burger" fits the theme?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
WHAT IS THIS, CHOPPED LIVER?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

pr0k posted:

WHAT IS THIS, CHOPPED LIVER?

I'm pretty sure that's not kosher.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I just made probably the biggest mess of pots, pans, utensils, and so on that I've ever made in my kitchen cooking up the food for this. I'm not looking forward to cleaning it all up tomorrow morning (thank goodness for not having a roommate right now and thus not having to clean up right now) but the food was all good so I do look forward to writing my post tomorrow!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've mixed meat and dairy - OR HAVE I?!?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I have also mixed meat and dairy, although less creatively than you have, I fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010
Where we're going, we won't need Dairy.

• Locked thread