Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Apologies in advance for this OP being a little barebones! I'm gonna get back to it ASAP!

The world is completely BRUTAL.

This world is a strange one - an alternate reality where music itself shapes everything. Black metal berserkers clash with bubblegum pop princesses on frostbitten plains, while outriders on nameless horses go on vision quests in psychedelic deserts. Any genre of music you can think of has its home, its nation, its people.

And you, dear heroes, are its champions! Bound together by the harmonies of fate, it is up to you to save the planet of Melody from the Silence, the Static, and the Greed encroaching upon its borders. Expect to go on a world-spanning journey, across landscapes limited only by the imaginations of the human ear - and yourselves!

This is a standard Atomic Robo game, inspired by Tim Schafer's game Brutal Legend, but it has some additional catches for character building! In addition to making your character, I want you to describe their homeland. It must be based on a genre of music, and should be as over-the-top as you'd expect it to be! I'd like a couple of paragraphs about the land your character comes from, as well as one NPC and three Aspects for both the NPC and your character's homeland!

Picks will be made when I feel like I have a decent number of good apps, or July 1st, whichever comes first! Go forth, and be as brutal (or tubular, or groovy, or whatever other adjective suits your vision,) as you'd like to be!

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me on IRC in #persona or #redhandofdoom !

SETTING DETAILS:

A lot of the specific nations and personages are going to be up to you guys, but there are some universal constants.

Music is power. The stronger your connection to the music, the more powerful you are. For some that manifests as face-melting guitar wizardry, for others the healing streams of melodic vocals. But regardless, music is your power. Mechanically, this is a replacement for Lore, for spellcasting purposes related to your genre.

Antagonists are many and varied, but there are three forces that threaten this world the most:

The Static, a droning, monotonous force pressing against the edge of the world and threatening to tear down the oldest kingdoms, seeking to replace all of Melody with its own atonal hives.

The Silence, a death-cult hell-bent on scourging all light, life, and above all, music from Melody.

And finally, The Greed, a cabal of mages and merchants bent on subjugating the entire world and forcing all to abide by one sound and one dogma.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Pops" Louie Satchmo

Pops Satchmo is one of the best-known underground figures in Dippermouth, the once-free land of lazy rivers, sweet music and free-flowing liqour. Since the rise of Mack the Knife and the coming of the Crackdown, he's become one of the lead players in the club scene. He dodges the Sharps' patrols with shocking ease, spreading his cheer and helping to keep the booze and good times flowing. Without him, the human rebellion against the Sharps would be far, far weaker than it is - it is thriving, thanks to his morale-raising and alliance-building, though some whisper that perhaps Satchmo is too accepting of the darker elements in Dippermouth.

Still, there are a few things that keep him in charge. He's one of the true Knights of Pythias, having undergone the tests out on the rivers. He's faced off against the Moocher and come out the other side, spoken to the Beats and lived and has even earned the right to bear the Mark of Pythias, the mark of royalty, from the last of the House of Swing - the former King of Dippermouth, Joseph Oliver.

Concept: Rebel King of Swing
Frontman: A Kiss To Build A Dream On
Rebel: True Knight of Pythias
King: Last Heir to King Joe Oliver
Omega: A Few Too Many Friends

Skills:
pre:
	Frontman (+3)		Rebel (+2)		King (+1)
+5	Jazz, Contacts,
	Rapport

+4	Will, Empathy		

+3	Deceive, 		Notice, Combat,
	all other Musics	Burglary

+2				Combat, Provoke, 
				Stealth, Athletics
Frontman: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport, Will, all Musics.
(Cost: 8)

Rebel: Burglary, Contacts, Combat, Provoke, Notice, Stealth, Athletics
(Cost: 10)

King: Notice, Rapport, Will, Contacts
(Cost: 4)

Mental: ()()()
Physical: ()()()

Stunts:

I Am The Scatman: Can use Jazz in place of Provoke when dealing with the Static, and +2 to Jazz when dealing with the Static.
Mark of Pythias: Fearproof, but at a cost.
Improv Master: +1 to any Music as long as you haven't used it yet this session.
False Fingering: +2 to Burglary when picking pockets.
Legato, the Trumpet of the Beats
No one really knows what happened, out there on the river, when Satchmo confronted the Beats and lived. He won't speak of that night, and it was a long one, to be sure. But when he returned, out of breath and paler than he'd ever been before, he had this trumpet with him. He can make it sing longer and with more variety than any other horn in the land, but it always takes its price.
Function: The Horn of Kings
Flaw: Draws Power From The Player

Mega-Stunts (4 benefits):
  • Syncopation: Can damage Bulletproof enemies.
  • Turnaround: Weapon: 1, or Weapon: 4 against bulletproof enemies, but at a cost.
  • Front Line: +2 to Combat as long as the wielder is leading the charge and fighting at the front.

Total Benefits: 9

Mack the Knife

The Sharps are one of the clans of the Static - a dangerous one, all smoke and shadow. Their leader - undisputed - is Mack the Knife, Overlord of Dippermouth. He rules with a velvet glove, to be sure, but there's an iron first beneath it. Under his rule, the fun-loving atmosphere of Dippermouth was crushed - at least outside the pockets of human resistance.

Aspects: The Trains Run On Time; The Shark Has Pretty Teeth, Dear, And He Shows Them Pearly Whites; Smoke, Mirrors And The Knife

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 29, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

All shall fear synthpop!

TehWarsmith
Jul 3, 2010
goddamnit i have to make power metal for this but i don't have the book hnnnnngh why is life so hard

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Some sort of indie rocker will be moping their way into existence here.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Rane Sardonyx, Mistress of Indietronica

I Kill Giants

And that's not a lie. Throughout the years, we've kept the Greed at bay. They've sent monsters at us, but we've persevered through sheer force of will. And me? I'm the headmistress. It's a title I don't take lightly. I keep our borders safe and I'm always on the front lines when the latest money-grub comes our way. Believe me, indietronica is under constant threat of destruction, or worse... assimilation, by the giants of the music industry, but as long as I hold Peridot, there's no way we're collapsing.

People say those Rockheads are prolific. Well, let me tell you, we took rock and brought it to the 22nd century. Yeah, I know what I said. We're the future of all genres and, to be frank, we know that. That's why we all mostly stay in the city. I mean, look at this:

I Love The Night Life, Just Another Music Monster, Papers Please

Pretty stellar, right? That's Midnight City. The city is my church, my home, my way of life. The city brought life to indietronica back when it was just a little signpost on the crossroad between indie, pop, electronica, and that dark spot we haven't really explored. Then it just kept expanding into the city it is now. We've only really been a sovereign nation for ten or fifteen years. That's like three seconds compared to rock, but we have more young blood flowing in a city block than they have in their whole continent.

Where do I even start? It's always nighttime, for one, except during the summer when the sun peeks over and makes everything all muted blue and orange for a couple months. We call it the Sunset Festival, and we hold a whole bunch of parties for it. Indoors, of course, with blacked-out windows. Don't want to get too much sun; it might hurt our complexions.

Our city is 100% downtown, separated into loose districts of clubs, cafes, thrift stores and apartments. Everyone has a place they belong in here. Yes, even Icona Pop... and Lorde... and--You know what? Fine. Some people are too popular for us. I admit it. They can go over to regular old FAKEINDIEPOPLAND for all I care! They know where their roots are. They'll be back... I said, they'll be back!

But remember what I was saying about giants? Seriously, people can't leave well enough alone. It seems every other night we have some greedy kaiju stomping up our genre, trying to break us and make us into lamestream pop. We carved out our own niche and built this city. Isn't that good enough for you?

For that reason, we've been stepping up our borders. Not everyone can say they want to be indietronica. They need licences, visas, the whole nine yards. They get lots of flak because we don't want to get corrupted. It was hard enough letting in 2DCC, knowing they play guitars and stuff in the melody. I don't think we could ever let in a hard rocker. The culture shock would be intense.

Other than that, our main exports (aside from music) are coffee, donuts, scarves, and photo filters. Our bird is the neon cockatoo and our tree is the fluorescent fir. Call me up if you want a peek at the flag. We're, uh, still wor--hey, look at that, it just dropped.

I like it. Give my kudos to the artists in the back. So yeah, there we go. Hope you can stop by. Y'know, if we let you in.

quote:

Good Mode: Action (9+1)
+5: Synthesize
+4: Notice, Provoke, Vehicles
+3: Athletics, Combat, Physique

Fair Mode: Synthesis (Synthesize, Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Will) (7)
+4: Rapport
+3: Empathy, Will

Average Mode: Banter (9+4)
+3: Contacts
+2: Deceive

Synthesize (Provoke Re-skin)
The act of performing with a synthesizer machine. Rane uses it to remotely manipulate people's emotions. Where Provoke is used to inflict fear, Synthesize is also used to inflict joy or sadness.

Concept Aspect: Teen Angst
How fast we burn? How fast we cry? Simple we live, simple we die.
Okay, so I'm young. So what? My genre needs an advocate if it's going to stand out and be remembered, and I don't see anyone else stepping up. I don't have any sort of "life" experience, sure, but the life I've had so far has been nothing if not crazy.
Invoke: I'm not afraid to take a risk or five.
Compel: Of course this is a good choice; it's going to benefit me right this minute, after all.

Good Mode Aspect: Warrior (Action)
You must raise your head with dignity toward all, prepared to fall.
I didn't become the mistress without cracking a few poser skulls. The world needs to know that I fought for a seat in the music business. I didn't just coast by on money. That's why I'm so proud; because I shed blood in the name of the city.
Invoke: Nobody touches my city or my people.
Compel: I didn't want to talk to them, so now they can't talk.

Fair Mode Aspect: Fineshrine (Synthesis)
Listen closely, closely to the floor, emitting all its graces through the pores.
Indietronica lives and dies by that subtle synth flavor. I'm the patron saint of the synthesizer, and the reigning grandmaster. I do more than play notes, of course. I play the feel. I need to know how to feel something out so I can talk it through my notes. It, in turn, helps other people feel. I can transfer the energy in my music into its listeners, usually somewhat joyful but occasionally down. Depends on my mood, natch.
Invoke: This is a song about the beauty of living despite being against the uncaring world.
Compel: This is a song about how I'm an orphan.

Average Mode Aspect: Constant Conversations (Banter)
Yeah they'll talk, yeah they'll even sing.
I need to know how to communicate through spoken word just as much as I can with lyrics. 90% of my job involves making my voice as perfect as possible, even when I have to sound like my voice is dying. My machines in the studio help, but doing it live gives some people the wrong impression if they've heard my work before.
Invoke: Crank up the auto-tune and Could you do something for me?
Compel: Oh god my throat is dying...

Omega Aspect: Psychic Chasms
Take me to another place where we were never found.
There's just too much of a rift between our way of thinking and, say, country and rock. We innovate. They reiterate. I feel like they don't understand my way of thinking, because I don't understand theirs.
Compel: You're talking way too lamestream for me. I'm out.

Stunts & Mega-Stunts

Keylodica "Peridot"
On a dark and stormy night (a very rare occasion in the realm of Indietronica) I combined a melodica with a synthesizer to make a full-size keytar with a miniature wind turbine enveloped inside so I can use this mouthpiece to blow through this hose here and play something crazy.
Function: Wind-Powered Keytar
Flaw: Can't Sing And Play At Once

Mega-Stunts (Benefits: 3)
  • Amplifier: This baby goes up to a hundred twelve. Weapon: 1.
  • Sequencer: I can harness and replay any music sample I find. Once per scene, I can revive an Aspect which was created in this scene, with two new tags as long as the first tags were already used.
  • Harmonizer: I can add a second voice to my own to add power and harmony. Once per scene, I can reroll a Synthesize attack for free.

Burning Hearts: Everything I do is to forward indietronica into the future. It's my one passion. When I create an advantage with Synthesize, I can add one extra tag to the resulting Aspect. When someone else uses one of the tags, all other tags invoke for an extra +1. However, I get carried away with my music and have to skip the turn after I place the aspect.
Shuffle a Dream: I'm pretty close with the trance crowd. Once per scene, I can freely place Hurry Up, I'm Dreaming on an enemy, who will be entranced by my music. They skip their next action, and we get +1 to attack them with Combat. On the enemy's next turn, of course, they wake up refreshed and get +2 on their next action.
All My Friends: I'm on good terms with many indie types. When we Brainstorm, I get +2 to contribute with Contacts as long as the subject isn't too mainstream. Y'know, Top 40 type stuff.
Electric Feel: Do you really think a little spark is going to hurt me? I'm grounded enough to feel safe around this giant keytar! I'm Shockproof and Armor:2 to everything else, but vulnerable to fire and heat. Flannel's actually really flammable...

Benefits: 10 - 5 = 5 FP added to the pool.

Grant Foster, Midnight City Representative

This little boy is the indie house rep for Midnight City. He goes to all the Indie meetings (very underground; nobody's even heard of them), proposing laws and all that fun stuff. The indie crowd is very tight-knit, always sharing ideas and standing on each other's shoulders. It's like we're all a family... except for the occasional border dispute. We've been fighting for years to figure out where indietronica and indie pop distinguish themselves. But that's aside the point. Grant is a really cool guy with pretty good taste in music, perhaps with a few more pebbles rattling in his head.

Concept Aspect: Tiger By My Side
Television changing channels, telling people wearing flannels culture shocking walkways to the shore.
Grant is basically in my pocket. He really advocates for Midnight, which is basically his job. He is like a little kitty in my lap. Whatever goes down in there comes back up to me, and then he imposes my will on everyone in there.
Invoke: "The Mistress sends her regards."
Compel: "Is that really all I am to you?"

Omega Aspect: By The Throat
All that's golden is never real, and I won't play fair with you this time.
One of the main reasons why he's so good at his job is because he breaks the poo poo out of every law they've set for us. His main M.O. is to get in good with everyone he can so he can swing votes in our favor. It's worked so far, but I'm afraid he'll get found out soon, which really sucks because...
Invoke: "And I believe I'm not alone in sharing this opinion."
Compel: "Listen here, you little poo poo..."

Extra Aspect: I Would Do Anything For You
I'll give it all into your hands, do what you will with me.
He is totally in love with me. He'll never say it out loud, but I know he's got feelings locked up in that dumb little head of his. If I wasn't so keen on keeping it professional I'd at least humor him and drop some hints that it's okay, but I'm the headmistress so I need to put on a good face. His little crush is just going to get himself hurt.
Invoke: Grant, would you-- "Yes, ma'am."
Compel: "So, how's life?" Later, Foster.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 27, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Prepare for MELODIC DEATH METAL

Sophia Stanne, Melodeath Dogessa

Welcome to my court, traveler. Just kick aside the skulls, that's a dear. They used to be expected, but these days they're getting sort of trite, so we're doing some renovations.

Oh, you thought you were in trouble? Oh no, no no no! We don't kill people for no reason here, despite what you've heard. Such practices were left behind when we left the Mordking. In fact, such practices are why I lead a rebellion in the first place. Ever since the man has been slandering me to all comers. But look out the window; see for yourself. We are a peaceful people. Our armies are purely focused on self-defense. This is a place of harmony and cooperation.

That is why your testimony is so concerning... A coming threat is a worry to any ruler, is it not? But more so to one such as I, who depends on the cooperation of others for our prosperity. Even the cooperation of the Mordking, drat his eyes. A threat to any of my neighbors, any of those who trade with me, is a threat to me.

I do not take kindly to threats.

Perhaps it is time for me to intervene myself. They will need me.

Because I'm the best. I am in harmony with my fate. Isn't that right, friend?

That's a good lad. Come closer...

pre:
		Banter (+3)		The Mind's I (+2)		Action (+1)
Superb (+5)     Provoke		

Great (+4)		         Deceive, Rapport

Good (+3)   Contacts, Will        Combat, Empathy

Fair (+2)			                                     Notice

Average (+1)	                                              Athletics,  
                                                                             Physique, Vehicles
Weird Mode: The Mind's I
Deceive, Combat, Provoke, Rapport, Fatalist (11)
Weird Skill: Fatalist (Attack Mental, Overcome Mental, Create Advantage Physical/Mental)
Control the "fate" of self and others- effectively mind control for NPCs, mental boosts for self
Notice to Trained (1)

Aspects:
Concept: Rise of the Tyrant
Banter: Mine is the Grandeur
The Mind's I: The Egoism
Action: Supreme Pain From the Tyrant
Omega: In My Absence...
(Troubles and benefits arising from what's happening in Haven while she's 'out')

Stunts
Nemesis: When Sophia successfully creates an advantage against a target using Provoke, that target rolls twice on defense rolls against her and takes the lower. This can only apply to one target at a time.

Her Silent Language: Using the harmonies of fate, Sophia can communicate with anything with a language, and can do so without making noise or moving.

Takasago Army: Regardless of location or circumstance, Sophia may roll Contacts to rustle up a mercenary group from somewhere. This mercenary group gives her Weapon: 2 as long as it is present.

The Monolith Deathcult: Sophia may use Fatalist to make a non-hostile NPC loyal to the death to her. This may only apply to one NPC at a time.

Go Forth and Die: Sophia may use Rapport while in a crowd to convince them to protect her, giving her an additional mild consequence.

Haven
Harmony (No Disorder); Dark Tranquility; At The Gates (Of the Imperium)

Don't let the intimidating Gate of Ishtar fool you. Haven is a welcoming place, despite its bad reputation. On the fringes of the great (and fractious) Imperium Metallum, Haven split from the greater Mordkingdom over a disagreement about "harmony" between Mordking Charles I and rebel Duchess Sophia Stanne, now Dogessa of Haven. A surprise alliance with the Trancelands allowed the city-state to resist the Mordking's army long enough that he was forced to negotiate truce due to an outbreak of the Panteran Plague. Rumors that Dogessa Stanne was behind the plague's sudden epidemic have never been proven.

Rare footage of Stanne in action during the Melody War. Her personal involvement in the fighting earned her the nickname "Blood Stained Child"

Since then, Haven has been a trade hub both within the Imperium and between the Imperium and the various lands beyond. Dogessa Stanne enforces a strict rule of non-violence within her city, to prevent it from being consumed with the internecine warfare that plagues the greater Imperium. Ironically, unprovoked violence is the only crime that warrants the violent retaliation of the state: Offenders are thrown from the Duskfall into the river basin below. Anyone who survives is assumed to have been innocent.

"Harmoniousness" has been Stanne's watchword from the beginning. Rather than the brutal rule-through-strength of the Mordlands, Stanne prefers to temper her commands with a certain amount of bowing to public opinion. Some think this makes her weak. Others point out that this has resulted in a rabidly devoted populace. There are rumors that other methods are being used to create this devotion, but, much like the plague, these rumors are so far unfounded.

Judge Ryo Laiho
Ceremonial Oath; At The Throne of Judgement; Pain Confessor

Head of the Haven judicial system, Judge Laiho is the final (false) hope of the imprisoned. He places a great deal of stock in pain being the path to truth- Stanne keeps him from harming prisoners too much, but he is responsible for much of the nasty reputation attached to doing the wrong thing in Haven. And Stanne may be going away for some time...

K Prime fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 21, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Goddamn it you fuckers post in the loving recruit thread gently caress I almost missed this

(I am psyched as gently caress and will definitely try to roll something)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I don't have atomic robo, but I must Dubstep!

So yeah, I'll try and scrape together a character to represent the almighty WUB.

Edit: preview!

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 22, 2014

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Alright, going to make it official here, posting interest, thinking about putting down some of the Blues here. Let's go to The Crossroads...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Traian Ioan Negrescu, Tenor

I suppose given that I'm not royalty or a resistance leader or someone of much import I should explain why I'm here. I was abandoned to the elements as a child for reasons I will never learn in certainty, although I wager my countenance was a factor. Fortunately for me, the elements took pity on me, and none other than Winter itself, the Cold Genius, took me in. He explained to me I had a gift, and my childhood and adolescence was spent sheltered away from the world, learning the beautifully austere music of ice and snow. Of course, in Canticum the ability to sing is hardly uncommon; in fact our society is largely stratified by vocal register.

I'm a tenor, by the way, so not quite up there but I'm decently respected. In any case, I learned everything I know from the Cold Genius, and he was preparing to let me see society for myself when it happened. Siegfried came to Canticum for the Rheingeld, a ring that bestowed power to its wearer, at the price of forever giving up love. I was in Sarentino, getting used to human contact, when his armies marched on the city. I made haste, and slipped away through the sewers, because...I didn't want to get stuck with all those people near me In any case, soon half of Canticum had been razed in Siegfried's mad search for power. The Cold Genius saw the writing on the wall, and told me to flee, and make haste towards the nearest allied principality.

Initially I tried Midnight City, but they said musical theatre was for old people and told me to leave (not nearly as politely as I've phrased it). So I'm at your feet, and if you agree to help Canticum in its hour of need I will do my utmost to aid your cause.

Canticum
With Princely Enjoyment And Manly Employment, Green And Pleasant Land, Gotterdammerung

Canticum is a patchwork of cities and hamlets spread across a verdant and hilly plain. It's never bothered any of its neighbors, save the odd quarrel with rowdy louts from Imperium Metallum. I used to spend most of my time in the Thulian Wood, taking walks in the brisk dawn air. That's all in jeopardy now however. Siegfried's march is practically unstoppable, and the other principalities have enough on their plates that there's no aid forthcoming.

Siegfried
The Master-Singer, Wielder of Nothing, Fools Rush In...

Siegfried hunts for the Rheingeld, and through it power. His proficiency with his voice is only matched by his talent with a blade, and even without his army he could take most of Canticum by himself. Further, he thinks anything that isn't romantic, spiritual opera is worthless, and he's entirely willing to destroy the world to prevent another "degenerate" note from sounding. He's a savage, and if it weren't for how he's destroyed half my homeland everyone would have laughed him and his philosophical nonsense right out.

Concept: Protege of the Cold Genius

Modes:

Bel Canto (Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Aria) (+3)
Banter (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will) (+2)
Intrigue (Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth) (+1)

Aria: Overcome Physical, Create Advantage Physical, Attack Physical

Great (+4): Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport
Good (+3): Aria, Contacts
Fair (+2): Notice, Stealth, Will

2 points remaining

Mode Aspects:

Banter: I Ask Neither Wealth Nor Courtier's Praise
Bel Canto: Music Of The Night
Intrigue: Nothing Undertaken By Man In Vain

Omega Aspect: My First Unfeeling Scrap Of Clothing

Stunts:

What Power Art Thou: +1 to overcome or create an advantage with Aria when using cold or

ice.
The Magic Flute: Armor:1
An Unparalleled Delight: Once per scene when an aspect is compelled and I spend a fate

point to resist that compel, I additionally gain a free invoke of that aspect.
I Lived For Art: Spend a fate point to shift one consequence from an ally to myself.
Why Should Men Quarrel: +2 to Empathy when defusing a potential fight.

Stress Boxes:

Physical [][]
Mental [][][][][]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yeezus is coming.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
so so so many potential characters here.
Gonna need some time to think about this.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

so so so many potential characters here.
Gonna need some time to think about this.

Me too. I need to look deep, deep within myself and ask... "How do I mix ELO with Eurythmics?"

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
It might be interesting to play with the concept of The Static with a SUN O))) or bagpiper type character. What would be their motivation for resisting the static, would they feel temptation?

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 22, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Work In Progress

I am really new to Atomic Robo, and haven't figured out what the actual gently caress with skills yet, but I think I've got most everything else.

WELCOME TO DUBTROPOLIS, MIND THE DROP...
Tutorial
It all started when the Department of Response Management raided a show I was opening for. My first show, right in the middle of my set. they beat and arrest everyone, saying that they know there are rebels and sympathizers in the crowd.
The rebel coalition, the Drop Squad stages a counter attack on the D.R.M. Detention facility, in the ensuing chaos I follow the rebels, and they showed me the truth. That Dubtropolis has been betraying the nations of music to the forces of static and greed in exchange for power, riches, and peace. The lower levels of the city are full of soldiers and weapons.

Breakdown
Several months ago I joined up for a raid on an experimental facility, as we're planting the charges to reduce the place to rubble, we find this...thing in a side room. The note on the glass says HAZARD Wide-angle Ultra-compact Bass-cannon, so of course I break the glass, reach in and take it, The onboard systems somehow bonded with my nervous system, I've never been a science type, but I know all the ins and outs of the W.U.B.! This could be exactly what we need to take back DubTropolis, but we'll still need help, so I've been sent to find as many people from the other lands willing to come and help. I vow to use my new ultimate bass to right the wrongs committed by DubTropolis and demonstrate the true meaning of Dubstep. Freedom.

ARTIF.EXE JONES Fugitive from D.R.M.
Soundtrack and Inspiration
Concept: Insufferably Smug Heavy Gunner
Wide-angle Ultra-compact Bass-cannon (W.U.B.): BRING THE NOISE!!
Kick rear end (Action): Little Girl, Big Gun
Take Names (Banter): I'm pretty obscure, you wouldn't have heard of me.
Omega Aspect: In over my head

Modes: 23/30 pts spent
(5pts)Wide-angle Ultra-compact Bass-cannon (W.U.B.) +3 Combat, Provoke, Notice, Will
(9pts)Kick rear end +2 Athletics, Combat, Provoke, Notice, Physique, Vehicles
(9pts)Take Names +1 Contacts, Decieve, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will

Skills:
Superb (+5): Provoke, Combat, Notice
Great (+4): Will
Good (+3): Athletics
Fair (+2): Physique, Vehicles, Contacts, Decieve
Average (+1): Empathy, Rapport
Mediocre (+0):

IMPROVEMENTS 7/30pts spent
Specialize a focused skill:Combat (2pts)
Specialize a focused skill:Notice (2pts)
Focus a trained skill: Athletcs (1pt)
Focus a trained skill: Contacts (1pt)
Focus a trained skill: Decieve (1pt)

Stunts/MEGA STUNTS:
  • Expert Marksman
    +1 to attack or create an advantage with Combat when using a firearm.
  • Insufferable
    +1 to provoke someone to attack me by annoying them, not through intimidation.
  • Targeting Scanner
    +1 to overcome with Notice when using the WUB’s sensors.
    for example, tracking a moving or hidden target or finding weak spots, or scanning for life-signs.
  • I saw this in a movie once
    +2 defend with Combat when outnumbered.
  • The Wide-angle Ultra-compact Bass-cannon (W.U.B.)
    Function: wwwwwwwwwWUBWUBWUBWUB.........BOOOOOOM!
    Flaw: Hard to Control
    MEGA-STUNTS (3 BENEFITS):
    Weaponized Ultra Low Frequency Sound.
    Weapon:4, (or Weapon:6 but at a cost)
    Obscenely Dangerous.
    On an attack that succeeds with style, spend a fate point to prevent the target from checking a stress box to absorb harm.
    NOTES: Enter the W.U.B.
    the Wide-angle Ultra-compact Bass-cannon works like most of the common Bass-Weapons of the people of DubTropolis, it focuses a bass wavefront so dense and pure that even the very molecules in the air vibrate, thereby creating a secondary Borealis effect when it fires, often creating a laser or explosive effect.
    The W.U.B. however, is a top secret military prototype, a Bass-Cannon on crack, with an effect orders of magnitude greater than the piddly pistols and rifles and poo poo carried in the streets today. It's a pint sized WMD. In a real world sense, it's a Fuel-Air bomb the size of a rifle, in a land where everyone else just has pistols and rifles.

Stress:
Physical [X][ ][ ][ ]
Mental [ ][ ][ ][ ]

Consequences:

Homeland: DubTropolis
Pre-packaged Youth Rebellion, Big Brother's Beats, Mind the Drop
Cloud city of the future! Or so they want you to believe. Fast, Modern, and utterly corrupt. Dubtropolis is blinding bright lights, smiling faces, and the dubs are righteous down to your bone. Until you looks past the surface, or ask too many questions. They say fight the power and fight to be free, but slam you back down or worse if you actually try. The lights, the money, the drugs, they gotta come from somewhere, right?

Well, the best-kept secret in the city is the Cease-Fire. The Agreement allowing the forces of Static and Greed access to the lowest levels of DubTropolis to stage surprise attacks and raids on the other nations. In exchange, they give us money, technology, and they don't attack us.

We Drop Squadders have caused enough damage, and won over enough people, that we're public enemy number one and hunted every moment by the D.R.M. and especially the agent they sent to kill me.

Skrill Mauzer Agent of D.R.M.
I'll take you all on, Nowhere you can hide, My guns have guns
Mauzer is a high end agent of the D.R.M. sent out to retrieve the W.U.B. by any means necessary. He is fanatically loyal to the administration of DubTropolis, casually committing any atrocity to achieve his objective.

:frogsiren:tl;dr:frogsiren:
Artemis Jones was a talented, but tiny fish in a massive ocean, just trying to survive in the big world of Taste-Makers and Bass-Breakers. Until the day the ugliness of the world crashed in and made it impossible to stay ignorant. She was forced to choose between staying quiescent or fight back. She chose to fight. And now she wanders looking for others like her who want to fight off Silence, Static, and Greed, while being pursued by an implacable fascist operative.

"So a young woman with the emotional maturity of a teenager, and the pettiness of the worst hipster stereotypes, has just become our best hope for saving the world?
And she knows it?"

:negative:
fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Why yes, I did spend too long embedding a bunch of music for theme songs and soundtracks to people and places, why do you ask? :v:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 10, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

I made something to pass the time.

Told you we were still working on it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Now that we've all had a nice break from posting, I say we get this game to WAKE UP! and get rolling. :v:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Roosevelt Profit, AKA The Profit & the Macklemur

The Profit is one of the Triumverate, the rulers of the Refuge of Audacious Poets. Since they returned from across the sea, their regime has united the often warring factions of the Refuge beneath one banner, following the Way of Swag, under the divine auspices of Hova, Yeezus, and the Holy Bey.

The Profit is the mad genius of the Triumverate, the architect of the strategies Great General Z ruthlessly enacts and the author of the rhetoric the Young Dragon's charisma gives life to. The Profit is also the least loved of the three. All recognize his skill but few claim to like him. He's too self-assured - arrogant, they say - and too impatient with those who lack his vision. But he has always managed to back his bravado, proving himself a master of many styles. The Abbot put his blessing upon him, and whispered the Wutang Secret in his ear, passing the torch to a new generation. The Doctor invited him into the Hidden Forge, and showed him how to forge true Beats.

Like the rest of the Triumverate, the Profit has forged alliances with powers outside the Refuge. The Profit counts the robotic Daft Duo as allies, and has connections amongst the Indie. One of the reasons his style is so formidable is his willingness to use outsider techniques in unusual ways. He is also a brilliant instructor, and those who fight alongside him can expect sage and timely advice, so long as they are willing to listen.

The Profit's biggest weakness is a love of the finer things his position has brought him. He believes in the Way of Swag, that his accomplishments and ability entitle him to the best of everything. To his credit he is generous in sharing what he has with those he respects, and he is a keen evaluator of talent and never slow to praise those he thinks worthy. On the other hand, he is just as quick to speak up when he thinks too much praise is being given to the unworthy, a tendency that has earned him more than a few enemies.

The Profit's only true companion is the Macklemur, though he is clearly not a lemur. That's still his name, for reasons none can say. Some whisper that the Macklemur was once a man, transformed by ill magic, and surely the Macklemur is clever and skilled in the esoteric arts of the Refuge far beyond what one might expect given his form. Still, he is easily distracted by shiny cheap things and often causes trouble by robbing second-hand stores. The Profit finds his antics alternatively amusing and infuriating, while for his part the Macklemur seems to enjoy antagonizing the Profit until things become serious, at which point he reverts to being helpful.

Concept: Chosen of Yeezus
Banter: New God Flow
Wu-Tang: The Abbot's Star Pupil
Intrigue: No One Man Should Have All This Power
Omega: Goin Gorillas

Skills:
pre:
		Rapper (+3)		Wu-Tang (+2)		Intrigue (+1)
Great (+4)	Contacts, Deceive,
		Provoke, Rapport,
		Will
Good (+3)	Empathy			Athletics, Combat,	
					Notice, Stealth
Fair (+2)				Physique
Average (+1)							Burglary
Wu-Tang Mode: Renamed Martial Arts.
Improvements: Focused Provoke, Rapport, Combat.

Stunts:

Imma Let You Finish: When an opponent attempts to create an advantage on one of your allies, you can spend a Fate point to interrupt and create an advantage of your own first using Provoke.

Mysteries of Chessboxing: +1 to attack with Combat and Weapon:2 when fighting unarmed. Bladeproof, but weak to deception; Armor:2 against everything else.

Nobody Fuckin With My Clique: When an ally invokes an aspect you created on them with Rapport in a way that involves music, they get a +3 instead of the usual +2.

Pop Some Tags: +2 to overcome with Burglary when the Macklemur is on the scene. An overcome attempt with Burglary can be made even if the Profit is not present.

(Total benefits: 5 - 5 = 0 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

Stress
Physical OOO
Mental OOOO

The Refuge of Audacious Poets

The Refuge is among the youngest domains, nestled in a sloping valley sheltered in the East by the Imperial Mountains, and bounded in the West by the Illantic Ocean, adjacent to the forest kingdoms of Arenbee, but a short distance from Dippermouth and New Port Sin on the Big Easy. It was founded by a handful of pioneering geniuses who followed the tenets of Rhythm and Rhyme to develop styles never before seen. In the Golden Age after the founding, styles proliferated and matured. Though still a small nation, great things seemed in store.

But the first to feel the full force of these powers were each other. The upstart Western schools challenged the powerful Eastern, who responded ruthlessly. Conflict raged from the streets of Hub City to the skyscraping peaks of the Imperial Mountains, as masters of the craft and their disciples called battled before awed bystanders. Great heroes fell. The Notorious Giant of the East and the Furious Dragon of West slew each other in a battle so ferocious that their spirits were driven into the very stones of the Refuge. Legends says they appear to the worthy to teach them secret techniques of the old school.

Eventually the Gangsta Wars exhausted all sides. The remaining masters of the East retreated into their hidden monastery in the high places, where they await the return of the Old Dirty Master, heralding the return of the true Wutang. Their leader, the Abbot, grants audiences only to those who prove themselves worthy in single combat.

The heroes of the West left for a time, but eventually they too returned to teach a new generation. Aspirants still seek the wisdom of Diamond Trace, and brave the Blazing Haze to find enlightenment at the feet of the Lion Dog. Deep in the Caverns of Death the pounding of hammers still issues forth, as the Doctor forges new Beats, seeking to create the ultimate weapon, emerging from his hermitage only to bestow these fearsome tools on worthy disciples.

All the while New Styles grew and changed, but for a time were but pale shadows of those powers of the Gangsta. A few legends, like Shade Slim from Eight Mile, kept the torch burning. But the new golden age began when three Masters returned from across the Illantic. The Triumverate preached a new way, the way of Three, and it was they who earned the blessings - if sometimes grudging - of the old masters and united the Refuge.

With this the Triumverate has ushered in a new Golden Age - but there are cracks in the facade. In defiance of the Way of Swag, ascetics preach a return to the core tenets of the styles. Rebels united under the wolf banner proclaim an odd future, while the All Money All Places Mob controls the criminal underworld and grows in strength. The Refuge is a rising power, vibrant and strong, but wild and on the edge of chaos.

Maad City

The new capital of the Refuge, the Cathedral of Swag stands at its heart, and the Triumverate rules from there. The city is full of monuments to the greatness of the new regime, and its streets are clean and well policed. The founding of schools to teach the next generation new styles is encouraged, and they have proliferated. Embassies have been built and the greatest lights of other lands invited to take up residencies, expanding the knowledge of the Refuge. It is the shining jewel of the era. But much of it remains half-finished, and tensions run high among those seeking the approval of the Triumverate.

Great General Zee

Great General Zee is the eldest of the Triumverate, a veteran of the closing days of the Gangsta Wars. In the wake of that disaster, he left the Refuge and journeyed far and wide. In the forest kingdoms of Arenbee he won the love and later the hand of its radiant queen, Fierce Sasha. There he met the Young Dragon, and though he did not take him as a student, encouraged him to return to his parents homeland and master the styles.

He might well have remained in the forest kingdoms had not he met the Profit on the borders of the lands of Rock while accompanying his wife's tour of her lands. The Profit told him that the words of Yeezus had lead them to this meeting. Great Zee did not heed this prophecy at first, but on the road he had a vision of great Hova. Inspired, Zee sought the Profit again and they forged a powerful alliance. They recruited the Young Dragon to complete their trio, and then went on a quest far across the Illantic Ocean. What they found they still do not speak of, but they returned at the heights of their power and took control of the Refuge soon after.

Great Zee thicker and slower than in his prime, but is still a formidable foe. His style is direct and well-practiced. He commands the respect of nearly every surviving great master, and most owe him favors. His marriage also gives him a base of power outside the Refuge to fall back on. The soldiers of the Triumverate answer to him. Great Zee is at the peak of his powers, with his enemies scattered or reconciled, and enjoying it immensely. But new challengers lurk, few of which properly understand the fury they risk awakening...

Great Zee sees himself as the leader of the Triumverate, the elder statesman and mentor to his more ambitious companions.

Concept Aspect: Champion of the Hova
Omega Aspect: Kingdom Come
Extra Aspect: Married to Destiny

The Young Dragon

The Young Dragon was orphaned during the Gangsta Wars, after his family had fled to the forests of Arenbee. The identity of his parents is unknown to him, nor where in the Refuge they hailed from. A charismatic young man, he managed to survive as a beggar because everyone seemed to like him. He was content and likely would have stayed as he was, save for a chance encounter with Great General Zee. Impressed by the power of the older man, and his great skill, the youth returned to his homeland. There he learned the rudiments of style, and made many friends. His raw talent impressed his teachers, but he never could keep still long enough to achieve true mastery.

His life took another turn when he was struck with a strange vision. He wandered into the mountains, and was near death when he came upon the Profit and Great Zee. The two nursed him back to health, and told him he was the third in their Triumverate, inspired by the holy powers of Swag. The Young Dragon swore himself to their cause, and with them went across the sea. When they returned, he had come fully into his powers.

The Young Dragon is the face of the Triumverate. He is not yet as accomplished as the other two, and is still refining his style, but of all of them he is the one with the true love of the people. They honor Zee and fear the Profit, but it is the Young Dragon they count as friend. Of the three, he is the most ambitious and has the most to prove.

Secretly, the Young Dragon still seeks his family and their origin.

Concept Aspect: Apostle of the Holy Bey
Omega Aspect: Started From the Bottom
Extra Aspect: Longing for Home

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 12, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Error 404 posted:

Now that we've all had a nice break from posting, I say we get this game to WAKE UP! and get rolling. :v:

It's not July 1st yet, guys! I'll hold out for either a few more apps or 4 more days, whichever comes first, then picks will get made!

Also, Forums Terrorist, I'd like to know more about how your character, and his domain, interact with the world at large and the forces affecting it. This embroiled conflict with Siegfried and the mysteries of the Cold Genius' motivations are great, but they're very self-contained.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Proceeds the Weedian: Nazareth.

At the center of the world a vast desert stretches, broken in places by the ruins of impossibly large monuments erected by long forgotten civilizations crumbling upwards into a red sky. The sand suffocates all, and in its shifting will reveal ancient tombs and cyclopean cities for the blink of an eye before covering them once again, leaving no evidence behind. The sands, treacherous enough on their own, hide even greater dangers beneath their tranquil surface: colossal magma worms surge beneath the surface of the desert, their incomprehensibly gigantic maws consuming sand and ancient artifacts equally. The desert is an inhospitable place, and yet there are those who make their home here, floating in blimps above the sands, hunting the great magma worms for their dark crystalline exudates.

The Weedians track the magma worms from above, looking for telltale disturbances in the shifting sands; when they find one, the weedian roadies will descend to the surface of the desert and deploy mountains of speaker cabinets and amplifiers, directed downwards towards the center of the earth. The weed priests themselves, standing atop these mighty monuments to crushing doom, use their instruments to call forth the heaviest music known to the world: swirling, droning waves of low frequency punishment, delivered at glacial tempos. This stoner doom metal serves as a siren call to the magma worms, who erupt from the desert with tremendous power, bathing themselves in the syrupy metal. The weed priests continue to enthrall the beast with their music while harvesters jump from zeppelins to the carapace of the magma worm, harvesting dark crystals. These dark crystals are the source of the Weedian power, used to drive their colossal amplifiers and power their airships.

Boris Cisneros is perhaps the greatest of the Weed Priests, wielding a bass guitar heavier than stone with strings thicker than a baby's arm. In his lifetime, he has called forth many great magma worms, including the one the stories call Leviathan. He is an old man now, but he is not the only one to have noticed that the greatest of the magma worms no longer heed the doom call of the Weedians, and the ones who surface now are either young and small, or sickly, or both -- and their crystals are underdeveloped and lighter in shade. In the waning years of his life, Boris has resolved to leave the desert in search of the source of the magma worms encroaching decrepitude.

Aspects

Concept: Old Man Gloom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc
Boris is an old man, rare for a Weed Priest, and has seen a great deal in his drug-fuelled explorations of doom. His mind thrums with the deep vibration of the universe, and there is little hidden from his Third Eye. He understands a great deal, and sees the cyclical pattern of musical trends for the ephemeralities that they are, but this can make him somewhat out of touch with the younger cultures of the world.

Weed Priest: Drop out of life / with bong in hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drzzGClaEKU

The Weedians, as one would expect from their name, consume vast quantities of the green in search of ever-heavier riffs, and Boris is a marijuanaut of the highest caliber. Under the influence, Boris is capable of seeing the hidden structure of the universe, revealing the secret connections that bind existence. Of course, when Boris tries to elucidate this connections, it occasionally comes off as paranoid delusional ranting.

Telepath: The Face of Oblivion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6xr8P3upjw
Boris has seen the doom of the universe in his visions, and a piece of this doom lives within him. Its inexorable nature grants him strength, and he can call it forth to terrify others with visions of their eventual demise. This can also make Boris kind of a downer.

Warp Rider: Dopethrone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SCIoq0VX4
Boris is at home at heights, whether commanding a mighty Weedian zeppelin, a desert skiff, or balancing atop a pile of cabinets. He is naturally drawn to high places, often disregarding potential dangers to reach them.

Omega Aspect: Commander of the Shrinebuilder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpFV9sW2bI
Among Weedian airships, the Shrinebuilder is perhaps not the most impressive of sights; it is a ship designed for traveling rather than Wormhunting, manned by a small but fiercely loyal Weedian crew. The hold of the ship, modest in capacity as it may be, is naturally stuffed to the gills with weed and tube amplifiers. Weedian ships are easily identifiable, and their cargo is both predictable and valuable, so they are frequently targeted by bandits and other unsavoury types.

Modes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHz8-wmAIM
[Good] Weed Priest: Doom (Lore), Notice, Will, Hallucinations (=6)
[Fair] Telepath: Doom, Empathy, Deceive, Will, Provoke (=10)
[Average] Warp Rider: Vehicles, Physique, Athletics (=6)

Specialize Doom (=2)
(24/30 points used)

Totals:
Athletics +1
Deceive +2
Doom (Lore) +5
Empathy +2
Hallucinations +3
Notice +3
Physique +1
Provoke +2
Will +4
Vehicles +1

Stress
Physical: [ ] [ ]
Mental: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Stunts
Contact High: Boris gains +2 to Hallucinations if he is able to establish physical contact with the target.

Warp Rider Robes: +1 Armor

Bass Guitar, Mother Puncher:
Function: Call forth giant magma worms, obliterate physical structures
Flaw: Powered by magma crystals

Stunts:
  • Create advantage using Physique from a distance
  • +1 to create advantage with Physique through destruction
  • Use Doom instead of Physique to create advantages

Amplifier Worship: If Boris has access to and stands directly in front of suitable amplification (at least a triple stack), Boris gains +2 to Doom.

Homeland

The Cyclopean Desert

Aspects:
  • Ancient Ruins of Power
  • Malevolent Heat
  • Shifting Sands

NPC

The Magma Worms

Aspects:
The Great Annihilator
The crystals come from where?
Totally rideable.

Profane Accessory fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 8, 2014

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Early this morning
When you knocked upon my door
Early this morning, oooo
When you knocked upon my door
And I said hello Satan
I believe it's time to go

"The Blues are the beginning, everything else is the fruit." Some old man said long before this cursed day and age. Truly, the sound and pain of a mourning guitar has given inspiration and life to so many genres and guitarists. However, in this modern day there are those who don't appreciate the past, don't respect the tree that is The Blues. They think they can steal from it, dig into the sound for some cheap nostalgia, some cheap mockery of legends just for some cash. The old spirits are restless, howling their indignation.

It didn't matter what Robert Johnson used to be. The instant The Devil handed him his newly strung guitar, he inherited a legacy. There had been many before him, all named after the very first man to sell his soul like this, and there are even some alongside him. He was given this power simply for one thing; to bring the blues back under his (and His) domain. He was to go forth, wrest the spirits of these cheapened and diluted songs and wrench them into his command, and tear the "musicians" who lay claim to these songs asunder.

Robert Johnson, Man Of The Devil, Dog Of The Blues

Concept: Growling Inquisitor Blues

I got to keep movin', I got to keep movin'/Blues fallin' down like hell, blues fallin' down like hell

Robert Johnson is judge, jury, and executioner of an unspoken law: don't mess with The Blues. With power invested in him by The Devil and the legacies of countless blues legends before him, Robert wanders the land meting out justice to those who cheapen and abuse the blues sound. People have learned to respect and fear the man when he's on the prowl. It's a hard life, being on the road, tracking down transgressors, but it's Robert's life.

Blues: Me and the Devil Blues

Me and the Devil/Was walkin' side by side

Perhaps he never had a choice. Perhaps Robert Johnson was destined to have his soul taken in exchange for the power of a guitar. Still, he feels like he lost something more than just his immortal soul. It feels like the Devil made his body not his own. Sometimes almost for laughs, his body will twist and be molded into something horrible, mockeries of human form that appear in a painful flash and disappear with the wind. He sometimes feels his soul burning outside of him, feeling the void and the emptiness that he cannot fill. Perhaps that's why he's empty: with no soul, he's nothing but clay in the Devil's hands. Sometimes, Robert wonders if he's even human at all. Maybe, he thinks, he's just some abstract figure, an idea given just enough flesh to walk out into the world on his own two feet.

Shaman: In A Long Line Of Fools

This old hammer killed John Henry,/But it can't kill me.

Robert Johnson is one of the latest in a long line of Devil-bound blues musicians, each one with ancient and mystical wisdom. He went to their gravestones, he called up and visited with their spirits, and they sought to judge him, test him to see if he was worthy of their legacy. He went through the school of hard knocks, he went through his trials, and he earned the wisdom of those before him. However, like any "good" blues musician, he also inherited their bad habits; the drinking, the smoking, the cursing, the women, the violence, the temper...

Banter: A Smooth Son Of A Bitch

The Devil speaks with forked tongue, but Robert Johnson speaks with silver tongue. Even before his name changed he was a smooth talker, the sort of man that could talk his way past and into any sort of trouble humanity could dream of. Sometimes his tongue gets the better of him though, and being smooth sometimes makes men forget they can make a mistake...

Omega: Playing The Fool For Blues

Now there ain't but the one thing/Makes Mister Johnson drink/I get worried 'bout how you treat me, baby/I begin to think

There's always a woman in a blues man's life, and this Woman drives Robert crazy. Though the Woman may be of the Devil, Robert could not help but fall in love with her. He lets her play him like a fiddle, no matter how bad it makes him feel. On top of all this, he knows he wants to get his soul back from the Devil, and yet here this woman is. He knows it'll be impossible to get his soul back, though it hasn't stopped him from wanting to try. What that means between him and the Woman...only time and God will tell.

Modes:
Good: Blues: Athletics, Combat, Blues, Provoke, Physique, Deceive = 11
Fair: Shaman: Notice, Will, History(Science), Empathy, Rapport = 7
Average: Banter: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will = 9
+ Trained to Specialized: Blues + 3
=30

quote:

+5 Blues
+4 Provoke, Deceive
+3 Rapport, Will, Empathy, Rapport, Physique, Combat, Athletics
+2 Notice, History
+1 Contacts
Stunts:

Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em: Gain +2 to Athletics defense rolls if you spend your roll lighting a cigarette and walking away calmly from whatever explosion/angry guy/horrible eldritch abomination you likely just caused.

Gamblin' Man: When rerolling a Blues roll, roll six Fate dice and keep the best four.

Blues Is The Roots: When Robert Johnson succeeds at creating an advantage with Blues, he automatically succeeds with style.

32-20 Blues: Every gun Robert Johnson holds gains Weapon:2.

C.C. Rider: Signature Aspect: Being Played For Blues.
----

The Woman
Devil Thy Name Is Woman, She's Dynamite, She's A Shadow

Every man love that game you call love/But it don't mean no man no good

There are shadows in every man's mind, shadows of unspoken desires and feminine shapes. Even Adam was subject to these desires, and cast aside Lilith when those desires became too much for Adam to handle. The Woman is carved from these desires, the shadows ripped from every man's mind and given surely divine flesh. Her face changes with the moonlight and the shadows of the bar you thought she couldn't find, her voice a different tone but with the same whispered seduction. Many a man has said she's drat near inhuman, but who is to say she is human at all? She's certainly not telling.

No one quite knows why she's with the Devil, or even if she really is. All people know is that anyone she wants, she has wrapped around her little finger. The dons of New Port are frightened of her even as they desire her. What she wants, she knows how to get, and now she has Robert Johnson. Why does she want him...he can't quite figure out, even if it drives him insane to think that. And that's exactly where she wants him...or at least that's what it looks like. Does she feel regret? Does she enjoy this? Does she have love in her at all, or is she revenge made manifest in shadows and mink?

New Port City
City of Sin

New Port City...a series of buildings and walls supporting some of the world's most corrupted and crooked people. Underhanded deals are exchanged daily just to keep the sun from dying out, angels fall like meteors and burn out on the dirty streets at midnight, and the shadows grow claws to rip the unsuspecting to shreds. Death and taxmen could be sitting next to each other at the nearby bar and nobody would so much as blink. Love is gained, lost, and killed in a brutal slow dance between every man and woman who comes in off of the railroad. Battered old criminals with strings of purest steel and words of undiluted pain carve up the city like dons, playing the streets for wealth and dames in equal measure. However, even these dons have bosses, and no one wants to step over Her...and they can hardly fathom stepping on His domain.

All Roads Lead To The Blues

The Iron Snake: the oldest train in Melody. This train brings in the lost, the damned, the forlorn, the hungry. Its rails twist and turn as if they have a will of their own, 'cause the sorrow and hunger of this city knows no limits. Just like this train, all roads lead to New Port, waiting and willing to take in any and all who will tread on its streets.

Devil At The Crossroads

No one quite remembers how The Devil was trapped in the Crossroads. All that is known is that He is there, in the heart of the land that every road connects to. Trapped there by pillars of every element of Melody, The Devil struggles and slams against his binds in impotent rage. Still, He is mighty indeed, and over the years he slips his bonds bit by bit, spreading his influence through the world once more. His shadow has only cast within New Port, but one day he will break free and rule once more. So He dreams, so He dreams...and so he acts.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hey, Error404, is this how ARTIF.EXE JONES works?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Why yes that is the Soundtrack and Inspiration for Artif.exe :buddy:
I wasn't kidding before, I spent way too much time embedding a fuckton of songs and stuff all throughout my app.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Name: Colin Flansburgh

Concept Aspect: Emissary of the Mist-King

Good Mode:Beat Particle Manipulation
Specialized (+5):
Focused (+4):

Fair Mode: Banter (9pts)
Focused (+3):
Trained (+2):

Average Mode: Action (9pts)
Trained (+1):

Total:

Good Mode Aspect: Particle Man

Fair Mode Aspect: Get Lonely

Average Mode Aspect: Agile Like a Mountain Goat

Omega Aspect: Come and See

Stunts & Megastunts:

1. Signature Aspect: "Emissary of the Mist-King": Once per issue, I can invoke this aspect once for free. Compels cost the GM 2 Fate; refusals cost me 2.

2. All Eternals Deck:[/b] Bulletproof, but has a weakness to distractions/loud noises. Absolute Ability to overcome obstacles using his ability to manipulate Beat Particles.

Physical Stress:OOOOO
Mental Stress:OOOO

---
The Forest of Mists

more to come in a bit

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Well, the time has come, the choice is made, and the final chord is struck!

Our champions are:

Rane Sardonyx, Mistress of Indietronica (Rather Watch Them)
Sophia Stanne, Melodeath Dogessa (K Prime)
ARTIF.EXE Jones, Drop Squad Decimator (Error 404)
Robert Johnson, The Bluesman (AlanWhats)
Pops Louie Satchmo, The King of Dippermouth (Mors Rattus)
Traian Ioan Negrescu, The Wandering Tenor (Forums Terrorist)
Roosevelt Profit and the Macklemur, Disciples of Swag (Comrade Gorbash)

In other words, I've accepted all of you! Now, the IC thread will be going up within the next week, but before then I would greatly appreciate it if you'd get some impressions done!

Also, something that's non-mandatory, but would be cool, is if you wrote a little "guest appearance" anecdote with another of your fellow PCs! Not only does it help set up the world a little more, but it'll help lay a framework for this vast, eclectic group of heroes to know one another!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Pops Satchmo: Jazz, the ur-indie. The twenties is a lot like the eighties in that it was cool, there was a lot of weird poo poo happening that the man doesn't like talking about, and I wasn't alive to know any of it. He's like a cool grandpa, the kind that saw a bunch of crazy poo poo in K-Pop that he can't talk about. I mean, I'm really tired of jazz, but Pops ain't that bad.

Sophia Stanne: This is a woman I respect. She can crush skulls like drat. She's like me in that she needs to fight to keep her throne, has awesome hair, and uses her music to blow people's minds. Well, she makes the explode and I make them implode, but eh, whatever. Point is, she's good in my book.

ARTIF.EXE Jones: Okay, so, you know how giants like to knock over buildings and eat people in Midnight City, right? Well, I don't suppose I should tell you this, but... Arty was a friend of mine back in high school. She and I were pen pals. I was trying to learn the language of dubstep and she was, well, I don't know what she wanted except to talk with me. Anyway, we kept in touch for a long time because she reminds me a lot of... me. I-I know I said that with Sophia, but it's a lot more true here. We shared a lot of ideas and we're both fighting for a cause we believe in. And we can't stand country.

Anyway, she dropped on special assignment here in the City one time when I was fending off the Swifticus Troubellum giant. The creature had crawled out of the nasty hive of Greed in Dubtropolis and fell down here. So we here in Midnight loaded up our synths and drum machines and went after it, but it just wouldn't stop. It screamed like a bleating goat, and tore some of my people apart. So I phoned ARTIF.EXE to drop by and take care of it. It was a spawn of Dubtropolis, but I know it was all the D.R.M. So we collaborated on a crushing blow to the giant and sent it spiraling into the abyss. Then we high-fived like they do in some of my favorite movies.

ARTIF.EXE is, like, a sister to me. She might just be the only member of Dubtropolis I'll pass through to the city. And I rejected Imagine Dragons.

Robert Johnson: Uh... wow. I, uh... Next, please?

No? Okay, so this man. This man creeps me right the gently caress out. I've listened to a lot of deeply-human indie, lots of edge-of-a-bomb emotion that still makes me a little uncomfortable. Robert Johnson makes me straight-up feel, and that terrifies me. Like, what have I been keeping cooped up since becoming the head mistress here? Have I been numbed all these years to what reality is supposed to feel like? I, I need some ibuprofen. Give me the next guy when I get back, okay? *sob* Oh god...

Traian Ioan Negrescu: That mask looks familiar. Oh, right, he wanted to live in Midnight City. Okay, let me defend my choice, okay? If we let in everyone who talked about their broken home and ability to sing, we would all be listening to Fall Out Boy. If you want to get in here, you have to prove your dedication to this art. It doesn't matter if you can sing in here. You need to care enough to set aside tradition and keep our sound strong. Tray over here, he just wanted someone to help him get his home back. That's not what we do. We fend for ourselves. I hope that's what he's doing now.

Okay, listening back, that may be a little harsh. I'm sorry the kid had to go, I am! But rules are rules. He was just too... well-polished for indietronica. We have a rough edge on purpose. He only has rough edges when he's off his game. In the end, I think we were too edgy for him anyway. A guy who plays by mainstream rules wouldn't be accepted here even if he did pass through the gates. It's for his own good.

Roosevelt Profit: Okay, imagine I'm driving by you at like thirty miles an hour, shouting this out my window. Okay? Poooooooserrrr! Did you get that? Because I can do it again. Seriously, what an egotistical jerk. Didn't even give credit for that hook I wrote. What? Sorry. Oh, but the monkey is cool. I like him.

Boris Cisneros: I've *ahem* sampled his works. Little too slow for my taste, but the guy's got an ear for bass. If he could stand to go the speed limit I might have some fun. As it stands... not really my style.

The music, I mean. I like *cough* I like weed. I mean, sometimes. And Boris. Yeah, yeah, him too. But not the music. Just Boris. And weed.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 2, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Boris Cisneros (Benny Profane,) I'm gonna do something a little unorthodox here. I'm extending you an invite. Finish your sheet, you're in. Your concept is just that goddamn good and when I've got half the players, not to mention myself, saying "drat, I wish that guy was in" in IRC, I'm not passing you up.

Get it done and get some impressions in, buddy. Welcome to Brutal Legend FATE.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Oh, awesome! I'm about to turn in, but I'll get the rest of my sheet filled in tomorrow. Thanks!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rane Sardonyx: See, I don't really understand trying to exclude people. The soul of the music is what matters, right? But I tell you this: she's good. She's drat good. Maybe it's because she's so young...but here on the river, we blend. What's new, what's old - you don't throw away anything if it works. You just take what's there, throw in some spice, do a little magic with the fingers...and bam! You got yourself something new. When we were young, maybe we were afraid of mixing, too. Just keep your spice and your soul, child, and you won't get eaten up in the mix.

But you best keep hold of that feeling.

Sophia Stanne: Now, she does understand mixing...but freedom, well...ain't gonna say Haven isn't kind. But we play a little fast and loose over here. I like her, and ain't gonna say she's not a good ally. She is. But if it weren't for her, some of my friends might have died in the gallows last time we were in Haven - or worse. I know what a velvet glove can hide - Mack's shown us that, sure enough. Peel back that glove a little, darling, and let's keep checking to be sure there's no iron underneath.

Traian Ioan Negrescu: Canticum's been around longer than Dippermouth - and that takes doing. We know all about the big risks and the tragedies over here, but we don't dress it up like they do. He's a formal fella, maybe a little too formal. We're more laissez-faire down here in the river delta. But any ally in a pinch, no? Besides - I know Siegfried from old. And I will die before I let him shut down what even Mack couldn't. I smell the Static and the buzz behind his beauty. So you're all right, son. You got a friend in me. Just don't expect me to be the kind of king you're used to.

ARTIF.EXE JONES: How you go sayin' that again? She's a tiny little thing, young as they come. And she's got an ego ten times bigger than her. She's got power, though, give her that. And Dubtropolis? Maybe we're a little less bright and tall over here, maybe the river keeps us relaxed a bit more, but I can see the same rot. The same problems. The same hands on the reins. I want to help you, child, but you got to play with the band sometimes.

Roosevelt Profit: I can see your roots here, Refuge, but that was a long time ago. Generations back. Why you fight each other so much? We got bigger problems, and you know it. Now, I can understand liking a drink and some good times. I got that yearning, too. But I worry about how you care so much about golden things. There's something to be said for the low places.

Boris Cisneros: Far from the river, your lands. Nazareth's a strange place. We've smoked your weeds here, but it's like the liqour - it takes the edge off and helps the party go. There's something in you, friend, and it's hungry. Still...there's something in me, too.

Robert Johnson: Cousin, where you been? They called us both by so many names. First it was syncopation, then the blues, then jazz. I may not walk with the devil on my back, but I sure do know his name. But still...I trust you, cousin, and I'd fight for you, but I won't go down to those crossroads with you. I can sing the blues with the best of 'em, but I can't live it all the time.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 1, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Pops Satchmo: A kind man, by all appearances. A jolly trickster and all that.

Dio, do I hate tricksters.

But, I can hardly fault him for stepping out on his own. He seems to be doing a good job, at that. But, ugh.

Rane Sardonyx: I just don't understand her, or her city. What's wrong with being popular? And they got really shirty when we ah, borrowed some of their methods. Haven, and I, pride ourselves on letting new influences in, while they run around in a panic keeping them out.

I suppose Rane herself is fine. A pleasant sort of woman, lot of good steel in her spine. I just wish she'd be stubborn about the right things.

Traian Ioan Negrescu: Who? Oh, the lad who petitioned for sanctuary the other day? Cute little thing. I suppose his isolation in the Elder Lands kept him from hearing that Haven is safe for anyone, as long as they behave. I've put his petition for aid on the pile. I'm not going to say we don't owe much to his people... but I don't know if I can spare anyone. On the other hand, Siegfried sounds like a total boor. We'll keep it in consideration- maybe give Judge Laiho something to aim at.

ARTIF.EXE JONES: And we go from the cobwebbed and old to the insufferably new. I can't help but support a rebel, but at the same time... they call that music? Where's the life? Where's the passion? Perhaps young Jones can make it into something good, but I don't see much point in it...

Roosevelt Profit: Arrogant, boorish, but drat him, talented. Out of the Three that rule that wobbly throne I like him the most- he experiments, and shares. We exchange gifts of song every few months, and he never gives bad criticism or passionless tripe.

Recently, I've heard his efforts have been occupied with an infestation of bad azaleas. Always a problem in so open a place- we had to stomp out something similar not all that long ago.

Boris Cisneros: I tried talking to him once, but he refused to cease using metaphors so I had him thrown into the river.

Robert Johnson: I fear what he has sold out to. We have always respected the Blues here, and his wrath has never come our way... but one day he will grow too bold, and delve too far. The Bayou calls, Devil-man, and though we both stand accused of devil-worship at times Stanne does not sell out.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rane Sardonyx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgf_ekShQFs
I admire the dedication to art, but what's the point of greatness if you don't bask in it? How can you get better if you refuse to come out and fight the strongest opponents? She could be something amazing, but instead she's just a footnote. And that holier than thou attitude about the purity of her music... The Way of Swag is to take the best of everything. She can ignore it and waste away if she really wants that. The Macklemur seems to like her, and that should tell you all you need to know.

Sophia Stanne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJLrt-yhQw
She sure as hell doesn't lack for audacity! She appreciates the Swag too, even if she goes for black and silver instead of purple and gold. We've got a lot in common, though her people are a lot less fractious than mine. Makes it easier to be in charge, but not as many ideas rising up through the ranks. It's worth fighting off a few challenges for the energy. Stanne is trying to expand the influences in her style too, something that's long overdue. She might have bitten off more than she can chew though, lots of people are seriously pissed at her. It'll be fun to watch if nothing else.

ARTIF.EXE Jones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmhlYeWBwF8
Jones is the poo poo. Cold rear end rebel, and those beats! It's all still to mechanical, but there's a something under all that silicon bullshit. Real flow. If she can survive being the hot new thing and having everyone gunning for her, she could found the next Refuge. Maybe. Me, I think in the end we're going to pick up the best bits from the wreackage in the end. But drat if it won't be a fun ride.

Robert Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pA5U-W32c
A dangerous motherfucker. Even I have things I wouldn't give up for my art. Him, he'll go all the way. And I know that sound is in my own styles somewhere. He wants to tear it all down. I won't give up what I have without a fight though. I ain't stealing this sound. I'm making it my OWN, the same way he did.

Pops Louie Satchmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7j9aVStwQ
Man's like a mirror. He's on the bottom fighting his way to the top, I'm on the top trying to keep the bottom in check. I like the man, even if he's a bit too quick to laugh, too many smiles. Not to be fully trusted. But drat son can he blow that horn.

Traian Ioan Negrescu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcIgow6TDk
He calls himself a tenor, but he's a storyteller is what he is. I'm not sure I like all the tales he's telling though. Old gods and old feuds and old blood. I hear the echo of the Swag in it, but twisted. Maybe I don't know as much about my own past as I thought. I don't like thinking that.

Boris Cisneros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigtCrO77L8
You'd think I'd find some common ground with someone with such an appreciation for the chronic. You'd think that, but the desert dweller keeps casting shade. Doesn't like the way I raise my profile. Go with the flow, he says, let the universe tell you what it wants. I did, and the Yeezus told me to take hold of fate by its neck and shake it until my fortune falls out. So I'm gonna keep doing my thing.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 6, 2014

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

ARTIF.EXE Jones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lu4B5II-k
Boris is very much intrigued by this bass cannon, as it seems to contain the power of a wall of amplifiers within a much more portable chassis; Boris could do without the other musical embellishments, the stuff that sounds like the dying screams of a savaged fax machine, but Boris figures there must be a way to turn those off or something.

Pops Louie Satchmo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Oq56WCe-E
Boris isn't completely sure what to make of Pops. He keeps a cheerful face, relentlessly committed to his entertainment, but when Boris looks deep into Pops with his Third Eye, he sees the scars left by the Static. Boris wonders what else lies behind Pops's immaculate facade.

Rane Sardonyx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBobq6gnOWc
Boris finds the cold modernity of Indietronica distasteful, devoid of blood and sweat and death. These hipper-than-thou indie kids could all benefit from a good solid vision quest in the desert.

Robert Johnson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1cyyJwpPdU
All those in league with the devil are friends to Boris. The roots music of older times contained a raw, ugly darkness, a casual violence and misanthropy. Boris respects Robert Johnson as one steeped in a musical tradition even older than those of the Weedians.

Roosevelt Profit:
The Weedians have little interactions with the Refuge of Audacious Poets, and Boris is specifically disinclined to trust The Profit. Stoner metal is perhaps pure id, an exploration of time and space that casts aside illusions like time and consciousness; the self-absorbed, highly-produced, ego-driven music and culture of the Triumvirate is perhaps diametrically opposed to everything the Weedians stand for.

Sophia Stanne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0U77bm9mc
These melodeath make a big deal of being all imperious, with their put-on accents and crushed velvet doublets and poo poo, but any musical style that insists on taking perfectly good bass parts and burying them so far in the mix that you can't hear them has some serious problems, as far as Boris is concerned.

Traian Ioan Negrescu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uvf0cn0jo
The clean operatic vocal style might not be Boris's exact cup of tea, but he can dig it on an occasional basis, for sure. Plus, that whole swords and armor thing is kind of badass.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Fuckin-A awesome! I'm fuckin HYPE to get in!
FYI, her name is pronounced 'Artifex' like the latin for Artist or Craftsman, and it's ARTIF.EXE because computers and dubstep.

Impressions:
Rane Sardonyx, Mistress of Indietronica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw
She and I go back a ways, back when I was first juggling a beat. She gots da skillz, but she lacks edge, y'know?
(There's the scrape-click of a lighter and the end of a cigarette flares for a moment before dimming back to a small glow)

It's like...Midnight City could fight off Greed if they got a little dirty, went a little harder, maybe drank something other than overpriced coffee. But nope! they've got like twee melodies n'poo poo...I don't get it, but she's been a good friend, she was the first person I crashed with when I got out of DubTropolis with DRM hot on my rear end. I tell her what's up and she's all like... She's like 'Yes! oh my gawd!'
We gots each others backs, y'know? even if she's not as like...underground as me. <3 U Rainy-Day!

Sophia Stanne, Melodeath Dogessa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_W6PAX4m1o
I'm like, uh, hardcore, but this chick, she's like GIRL POWER BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS and poo poo. I love Sophie as one of Da Girlz and all, but drat. She even respects the BASS, just on a smaller scale, just like bustin up motherfuckers right and left. pssh I leave entire city blocks flattened in my wake. :smug:

Robert Johnson, The Bluesman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g
Creepy, creepy old man. like his eyes are always followin ya.
I can't stand his music, can't stand his old school ways, but I have to admit, that fool looks fuckin cool when he does that smoke-a-cig-while-walking-away-from-an-explosion. This man is magic, and not like, the bass is rattlin my bones magic, but like old blood and evil thoughts. ugh (she shivers)
He also lets me bum smokes from him sometimes. ^_^

Pops Louie Satchmo, The King of Dippermouth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQ2vUtN9SQ
Another old, guy, he's nicer than Mr. Johnson. But man, we don't speak the same language, I'm not even sure we're the same species, y'know? good samples tho. ^_^

Traian Ioan Negrescu, The Wandering Tenor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOtvxUaD5jM
Now don't get it twisted, I like Tray-tray and all. He's a real nice guy, totes a sweetie. But just drat yo, You gotta be all puttin' a 808 backbeat under a track and make it clap just to keep a lady from passin out dog...

Poor guy tho, he's got this permanent like...kicked puppy look, that's just...don't tell anyone I said this, but dude looks like he's about 5 seconds from bustin out in tears at any given moment... don't even get me going on all the hankies and ruffled shirts...

Roosevelt Profit and the Macklemur, Disciples of Swag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADD0nK5s0Sw
Swag for days y'all! Me'n The Prophet'n Mack is dawgs wit the best of boyz. Mad respect for the mad genius, but the only thing is, sick as his beats are, he doesn't go far enough, like here's his Bass (she holds a hand at eyebrow level) and then...like...here's mine (points at the floor). #YOLO and much love.

Boris Cisneros, Weed Prophet of Nazareth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmy58HhKMtc
Another Bass connoisseur, but like...dude's weird. Real fuckin weird yo. He got this whole Muad Dib vibe, like he sippin the Water of Life yo.

BTW picking a song for each of you was probably the most fun part of the impressions for me.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Quote is not edit :negative:

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Rane Sardonyx
I knew a rider down the way/
Who dressed in velvet every night/
I knew this rider down the way/
Who dressed in velvet every night/
One day she locked the door behind me/
Said boy ain't nothin' you do ever right.

Now that girl is somethin' else. She tries to make her own way, and she aims to push anyone out that don't fit her way of thinkin'. Oh sure, she kills giants, but to someone like me? Heh, she sees me as the past. She keeps a tight border, and anyone that don't fit her vision of the future gets the boot. Most would say she's selfish. I say she's only frightened.

It's tough, trying to pave a way like that, trying to prove to the others that you mean something. I can't rightly say for sure whether it'll last; personally I think those people throw out whatever they can't sugar-coat 'til it goes down smooth like the pills they're poppin'. But she's the one that's working to get them that sugar-coated comfort, she's the one that has to be the face of every fashion decision and every exclusion they make. It'll come around one day, rest assured. What'll happen to her after...now that'll be when I truly make up my mind on who she's really like.

Pops Satchmo
Play your horn Louie,/
Play your horn loud and true./
I said now, play your horn there Louie,/
play your horn loud and true/
Been working this drat road all day long/
And I need someone to deafen my blues.

Ah Pops, you and I do go a long ways back don't we? Or rather, maybe you go back with one of the others that bore my name? Regardless, you have been a good friend to me, and I appreciate it. Lord knows I appreciate those times when we can sit by the porch and make music like times of old. Some of the few times I've felt like a free man.

But I'm afraid I can't be like you all the time. I can't be as free as you; sometimes I have to go to those Crossroads and make my judgement and slam my gavel and bring down that hammer. It ain't something I wish on many, but it's my life, you gotta understand. Besides, it ain't like you don't have dirt on your soul neither. You can only be so cordial with so many people before you're likely to get burned, and I can hear the noise of those who have burned you before. I'm telling you as a friend, don't lose yourself to that noise.

Sophia Stanne
Oh yeah, baby,/
Everything's gonna be alright/
Oh yeah oh yeah baby,/
Everything's gonna be alright/
My fallen angel is beside me/
We'll raise the devil in this bed tonight.

Hahaha, naw I ain't in a relationship with her, just a song I know that she reminded me of I guess. She does have that peace about her, doesn't she? That sort of way about her that reminds you of an angel hiding on earth, all fury and harmony and grace sorta kept down a bit to keep from blinding mortal men. And she uses that harmony, stringing together sounds from so many strange places and bolting it onto the beating heart of metal.

Yes, she even used the Blues, no she ain't disrespected it. But there's something else that worries me about her...it's her rule. I've seen some of her charges, and I've heard what she says to keep the world from attacking her with accusations of Devil worship. Now, I'd like to think I'm a fair expert on the Devil, and I know she ain't worshiping him any time soon. However, she still deals with the damned, and the Devil is closer to her than she thinks. She's got right bastards under her, souls in need of judgement as moral beings, and one day ain't no harmony going to fix it. I just hope she's ready for when it all comes tumbling down.

ARTIF.EXE.
She plays with dynamite boy,/
She lights fuses everywhere she goes/
Oh no, she plays with dynamite there son/
She lights fuses everywhere she goes/
You best run away boy while you can/
Or she'll leave nothin' but a smokin' hole.

poo poo, that girl is in over her head. She thinks she's on fire, she's so full of herself. And she ain't quiet about it neither, hell no. I don't suppose anything about her is quiet. Plus that music of hers is...grating. But, for all that youthful stupidity she sure as hell has somethin' about her that proves she might have a point. Thing is she's got just enough talent to make the stupid that much more dangerous. That girl is gonna get her rear end in a whole lotta trouble someday, and it won't be long. Heh, almost reminds me of me. I suppose that's why I don't mind her tryin' to bum smokes off of me and all that.

Now if only she would holster that drat cannon long enough for me to get some sleep...

Roosevelt Profit
Gold ain't nothin' but chains, baby/
Words ain't nothin' but air,/
Gold ain't nothin' but chains baby/
Diamonds won't make 'em care,/
You've gotta be ready to stand boy,/
Or that gold chain will be too heavy to bear.

I know the rumors. I know what he's done, the samples he's used, the stories he plays over the songs of old. On the one hand, there is tradition running through that man's veins. It's plain to see what road his songs have come from, what men and women's lives brushed against the beats and loops, and it's plain to see he's taking after them in his own way. But still...I've heard the content. I've heard how he's used those old songs, how he plays drug-fueled autotuned hookups and ego-filled postures over unspeakable tragedies, and not a lot of people are happy with them, me among them sometimes. But still, ain't no spirits crying out for vengeance, ain't no angels of darkness whisperin' in my ear that Roosevelt needs a reckoning. I feel 'em watching though. I feel 'em watching hard.

That's why I'm watching too, waiting to see what he'll do in the end. And that's why I continue to watch, and one day the time will come when I'll have to decide whether he's guilty or innocent. I almost dread the possibility of finding him guilty. That'll be one hell of a brawl.

Traian Ioan Negrescu
Hear that bluebird chirpin' there,/
Down by that oak tree on the hill/
Don't you hear that bluebird chirpin?/
Down by that oak tree on the hill?/
Winter came and killed it/
And I hear that mournin' song there still.

Poor soul, things were stacked against him from the beginning.

I don't think it's possible to separate him from the circumstances of his past. He was a machine, raised by the cold in emotional stasis and crystal sharp lyrics. His orchestrated voice speaks in a tongue far older than even my own, but the weight crushes him in a way that my legacy doesn't even begin to affect me. Without his shelter, he is lost in the blizzard. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to help him find his way neither. It may just have to be my job to show him the light at the end of the tunnel, I just hope to God it won't come to that. I'm not prepared to show anyone the way to anywhere but that Greyhound to Nowhere, and Nowhere is the last place that boy needs to be.

Boris Cisneros
Don't pretend I don't see you boy/
Sittin' in the street wasting away/
You hear me?/
Don't pretend that I don't see you boy/
Sittin' in the street wasting away/
Now pass that reefer here boy/
And we'll be high 'til we see the light of judgement day.

Oh I've heard that sound. I've heard the thick, mournful bass lines that they thought only the magma worms could hear. I've heard the droning doom pour from their amplifiers, a magnification of guitars just like my very own. I hear the little branch of the Blues in their wailing and screaming, in the drowning roar of their guitars, and I have to say I am quite pleased. Whether they realize it or not they respect it. It ain't the same, but they respect it.

Boris himself, now there's a strange being. He and I walked with the Devil in our own ways, and in there is a strange sort of kinship. However, his sight of the Devil has caused him to look off of this world and into the strange tales of the stars, and I'm not sure how that's affected his brain here on earth. His heart mourns in the right places, though, and you best believe that I'll be sitting in the circle when he passes that reefer.

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 7, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Rane Sardonyx
She's got an air about her, that there's such a thing as novelty in the world. She can't see the foundations, set in stone, that all harmonies and dissonances follow. There are rules about how music is written and you can't just make up new ones! besides i'm still annoyed at how nocturne city or whatever didn't even acknowledge my distress

Pops Satchmo
He seems like a fundamentally good person, and we share a common tale of oppression and adversity. I haven't heard much about Dippermouth, but a friend in need is a friend indeed, and I'd certainly be remiss if I asked for the aid of another who himself was on the run.

Sophia Stanne
When he first attacked, there was a rumour going about in Canticum that Siegfried was of the Imperium Metallum, and that he'd startted his crusade from Haven. From what I've seen of Sophia I'm convinced now that that was total hearsay. If anything, we are of the same blood; we both desire greater harmony in the world, be as it may that her interpretation is rather more...aggressive than mine.

ARTIF.EXE
On the one hand, as with Satchmo there is the common tragedy of a lost homeland. Unlike Satchmo there is THAT UNGODLY RACKET

Roosevelt Profit
The Profit is a strange one, and I still haven't fully made up my mind about him. He's either mad or a genius, but something about him is unsettling me.

Perhaps it's the monkey.

Boris Cisneros
Whilst travelling the road between Cantium and Chocolate City I happened upon three strange men, crowned with weed. They claimed to be seekers of the Dopethrone; being of no aid to their quest they walked off wordlessly. Until now that was my only contact with the strange denizens of the deserts, and Boris has lived up to that expectation so far.

Robert Johnson
The others say he gained his skill from the Devil. Plausible, but I doubt he'd have done so well for himself if he'd consorted with the darker powers. In any case, he seems agreeable enough, and his talent (regardless of provenance) is unquestionable.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Alright, guys, OP is going up shortly! For the time being though, there's going to be infodumps posted here! There's a lot to the world that I want to share with you guys (and have you guys help define,) so infodumps that your characters should probably know will go here so they don't clutter up the IC thread! Here's the first one:

THE TEN POOLS OF THE NEVERMIND

A grey-yellow land of stains and poverty, the people here have happiness, if not opulence. At least, on the surface. Needles of Soma and pills for every mood you can imagine change hands every day. Mostly an urban land, it contains ten large lakes, known as the Pools of the Nevermind. It's said that the Wishkah, as a baby, swam in all ten pools, passing a trial in each and finally emerged a man before joining the Council of Four with the Vitalogue, the Chained, and the Superunknown, the three voices of the Council to the Wishkah's face.

But the Wishkah is dead, appearing to have taken his own life, while the people, desperate for someone to blame for the death of their hero, cry conspiracy, blaming his bride as an assassin from the Greed. The Chained is dead as well, having succumbed to his soul's torment and the demons he manifested through his drug-fueled sorcery, his body sitting, entombed forever upon his ascetic "throne," the Chair of Wrath.

The Superunknown has gone to many places, traveling the world far and wide, and mastering many of the styles of Rock to further his knowledge. The alliances he has made and knowledge he has gained have guided the Ten Pools of the Nevermind to prosperity, even in a time in which they grow increasingly less populous. However, his obligations to lands beyond the Ten Pools leave him often unaware of the will of his people.

Finally, and with the least fanfare, the Vitalogue has remained in the Ten Pools. It is said he brings good health and good fortune to the people of the Ten Pools, and he has remained, tirelessly, cleansing the land and chastising the corrupt, even going so far as to take on the Greed singlehandedly in the absence of the Superunknown.

ASPECTS: It's Always Raining, Where Have The Heroes Gone?, A House Divided

----

THE DUCHY OF MODERNEROK

The Land of Modernerok is a newly-forged duchy believed to be under the control of the Greed, its denizens warped and twisted creations of the perverse minds of men who simply want people to purchase and consume without thought. They wear the trappings of Grunge and Rock, but their attitudes are all the same, in the manner of a hivemind even the Static would be jealous of - all parties and bluster, popped collars and kegstands. Its puppet rulers and vile blackguards, creations of the Greed, are two in number, and unspeakably powerful.

The Silverside is a twisted, predatory being, bent to use his powers of charisma and popularity for evil ends, spreading his influence far and wide, even having married tactically into the Pop-Punk Malls, opening them up to further infiltration.

The Weathered Man, however, is something far more vile. The Weathered Man, a perverse figure of a twisted form of hope with a mockery of the Vitalogue's voice, preaches his own cult, one of buying into the Greed and perverting everything the Ten Pools stands for. He ambles about in a drunken haze, collecting groupies and defiling the land with every step he takes, professing the love of a deity that his followers are all too happy to brand themselves with.

The lands are twisted and polluted, appearing to be a mirror of the lands of Classic Rock and the Ten Pools, as twisted through a dadaist lens of what a man who's never known a struggle in his life thinks a struggle looks like.

ASPECTS: Through A Glass Darkly, ??????, ??????
----

Also, as a heads-up, this IS my first time running a FATE game, so if anyone thinks I've handed you guys too much info or shouldn't have included anything I put in here, just let me know so I can revise it for any future infodumps I may need to make!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
OP is up here!

Let's get BRUTAL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

OP is up here!