Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

What is Rectify? It's a drama about a man in a small Georgia town who spent ages 18 to 38 imprisoned for the rape and murder of his girlfriend, and who is then released on DNA evidence that refutes the state's claim that he was the sole perpetrator. In season 1, we got no definitive answer as to his guilt or innocence, though we got all-but-verbal confirmation that other people were involved, we were made aware that he and his girlfriend were on psylocibin mushrooms at the time, and that his confession was either coerced or based on him literally not remembering what happened.

But gently caress all that, this is not Twin Peaks or The Killing. This is the best goddamn show to ever air on television. It's about love, God, humanity, reality, life, loss, control, hope, despair, yearning, and what all of that even means in the first place, let alone how we fit into it and perceive it. It's a supreme meditation on what it means to exist.

Aden Young as Daniel Holden, the main character.

Tawney Talbot (L) and Ted "Teddy" Talbot Jr. (R), played by Adelaide Clemens and Clayne Crawford. Ted is Daniel's step-brother, the son of his mother's second husband whom she married while he was in prison; Adelaide is his extremely religious wife. Ted seemed to have rivalry and resentment toward Daniel, which reached a boiling point near the end of season 1; Tawney believed it was God's will that she "help" Daniel, culminating in his baptism, also at the end of season 1.

Abigail Spencer as Amantha, Daniel's younger sister, who idolizes and unconditionally loves him, and who was instrumental (along with her lawyer boyfriend) in getting Daniel released. She loving hates small redneck towns.

J. Smith-Cameron as Janet Talbot, Daniel's mother. She is far more intelligent and well-read than one would assume of an older Southern woman, and has always believed in Daniel's innocence, as well as being the source of much of his interest in philosophy.

Rectify premieres Thursday, June 19, 9pm, on the Sundance channel.

Watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This show is amazing, and it's on Netflix so you have no excuse not to catch up, people. :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I watched this show because of you guys talking about it in the chat thread, and it was great. Trying to get some family members with Netflix to watch it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is one of the only shows where "amazing" isn't an exaggeration. Really happy to be watching this season week-to-week with you all this time.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Seeing that this is back so soon is a very pleasant surprise, season 1 was so loving good

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So how many of you S1 live-watchers thought he killed Ted Jr. before the finale?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually don't remember... which means I probably didn't think he killed him, at least not in a strong sense. It just wouldn't have fit the narrative in my mind, because there is so much obvious story to keep going with Daniel's relationship to Ted and his wife that I couldn't see him being written off. I think I thought he strangled him into unconsciousness and just left him there.

But I was very surprised by the coffee grounds.

I just now got that the edges of the logo are truncated to give the impression of prison/containment. I feel pretty dumb.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
YESSSSSS IT'S BACK

This show is so heavy that I've only watched the first season once. Let me now spend the rest of the day preparing my mind for tonight's onslaught...

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Oh gently caress, I knew it was coming back soon but tonight? YES

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I don't remember s1 enough to watch this without a rewatch, but yay for being back. Great show.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Bowsprit by Balmorhea was such a good choice for a theme song for this show. I'm so glad it's back.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.
Just watched the premiere...drat this show is so heavy. I'm glad it's back and that we get more episodes this season.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there anywhere online to watch season 2?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

drat, things got really bad for Daniel after Kerwin's death.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that was as good as I'd hoped. Having a whole episode to focus on the side characters was a great choice, and my worries about bringing back the prison scenes (especially Kerwin) were, I suppose, premature since it makes sense to confine them to coma-time.

The scene between Amantha and Tawney was great, and I was surprised the Sheriff is coming out to be so sympathetic.

It was really awkward and weird that Daniel's lawyer was just not there, though. The actor is confirmed for the season, so why not even the briefest mention? Also strange that Daniel's little step-brother wasn't there too, since he's also coming back. I assume we'll see them next week, and would guess that Daniel gets out of the coma at the end of next week's episode (hopefully, anyhow).

Even if it takes until episode 3 or 4, though, I think it's cool that they're exploring the effects of his return and assault without him around. It's a risky move to take your best actor and sideline him, but it really is letting the rest of the cast shine.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Jesus Christ this show. :smith:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I haven't seen the latest episode but I can't imagine how it could live up to season 1. The OP's claim that Rectify is the "best TV ever produced" is quite defensible and the show is, despite the lack of 'splosions and murdersex, something everyone should see if for only a new light on mass incarceration.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Yudo posted:

I haven't seen the latest episode but I can't imagine how it could live up to season 1. The OP's claim that Rectify is the "best TV ever produced" is quite defensible and the show is, despite the lack of 'splosions and murdersex, something everyone should see if for only a new light on mass incarceration.

It absolutely does not miss a beat from season 1's conclusion.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Goddamn, that scene at the end with Kerwin was both super depressing and uplifting at the same time. This show is disgustingly good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Is Trey planning on planting that gun and wallet, I wonder?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Is Trey planning on planting that gun and wallet, I wonder?

Yeah I was wondering what the point of that scene was, other than to remind people without having a "previously on..."

One thing that surprised me was that they brought back Melvin. I did not see that coming at all, and I wonder where that's going (other than his obvious crush on Amantha).

I'm still thinking that Hannah's brother somehow had something to do with her death. Dude just has crazy eyes.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
This show just blows my mind. I've written a couple things, I have a pretty serious book out there on the shelves, but I watch this show and I just think God, I wish I could write like that.

Echoing how just amazing that last scene with Kevin was.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

brick cow posted:

Echoing how just amazing that last scene with Kevin was.

Same.

That was a tear-jerking scene, I don't care who you are--seeing how two dudes who, outside prison, were two different people in almost every way, but became friends through shared hardship. This scene drove that idea home pretty well.

The writing in general is really good, and so are the actors and actresses. No cliffhangers needed really--I feel like the point of the show is the emotional heaviness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AVClub gets it: B+

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/rectify-running-bull-205978

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I mean, if Trey really plants George's stuff, then I'd say he clearly becomes suspect #1. I suppose you could argue that we're supposed to be suspicious of him and that makes him a possible red herring, but still...

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

This show...

I could analyze certain things in depth, but it feels like a waste. It speaks for itself.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

quote:

This is the best goddamn show to ever air on television. It's about love, God, humanity, reality, life, loss, control, hope, despair, yearning, and what all of that even means in the first place, let alone how we fit into it and perceive it. It's a supreme meditation on what it means to exist.
So that was from the OP. There's more to it than those words. The emotional depth in the writing and acting weighs heavy on you. It's not as brutal as say The Road, but the emotion conveyed is just as deep.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

So why did Trey go to see George's dad? My guess is that he looked at George's call history and saw that he made a call home, so if that's true he wanted to see if George's dad would tell him about it or lie. I'd further guess that George told him the truth and that's why he wanted Trey to gently caress off without outright saying it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I basically blew through this and caught up to it today.

Honestly, it was probably the most emotionally affecting show I've ever seen. The season 1 finale basically had me near tears from the opening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

So why did Trey go to see George's dad? My guess is that he looked at George's call history and saw that he made a call home, so if that's true he wanted to see if George's dad would tell him about it or lie. I'd further guess that George told him the truth and that's why he wanted Trey to gently caress off without outright saying it.

Georgie's dad definitely knows what happened, is what I got from that scene.

I'm glad the Mazzy Star mix tape came back. This show also continues to do a great job of presenting Christianity in a fair light. I knew Daniel was gonna wake up, obviously, but it still was a great scene and really hit me hard. I just hope the slow roll isn't affecting its reception or viewership. I don't know if season 2 is planned to end things or if they're hoping for a third, but there is a lot of room for plot with all these characters and I hope it keeps on going.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I understand where they're trying to go with her but Amantha grates on me.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I understand where they're trying to go with her but Amantha grates on me.

She's the least subtle of all the characters IMHO but I like her. No, not because she's hot.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ok I'm ready for some protagonist action. Two episodes with just the supporting cast was maybe too many.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Fooz posted:

Ok I'm ready for some protagonist action. Two episodes with just the supporting cast was maybe too many.

To be fair, it's a great supporting cast. Clayne Crawford is great (one of my favorite actors) and the minor supporting characters are excellent as well.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Was the sheriff this awesome last season? I honestly don't remember. Also drat, that scene with the death row inmate and Daniel's lawyer. Way to be loving barbarians, America :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah the sheriff was kind of a shitheel last season, what with following Amantha ominously for absolutely no reason in the first episode and such.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, I like that the sheriff is getting more complex. Other than harassing Amantha on the road, he didn't really give much of a poo poo about the mailbox explosion. He's still shady-as-gently caress-Trey's friend, so I'm waiting for some conflict there down the road.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
I genuinely like Amantha. The phone call between her and the lawyer (can't remember his name) showed a lot about the depth her aside from being fiercely devoted to her brother. She's not so cold as she wants to come across.

(and she's pretty)

I really liked Daniels almost toss-off line something like- I've been thinking about the kitchen. - It was just so simple, yet sticks in my mind to reinforce that he is a person thats not about blame or vengeance but is looking for a better future.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I just hate her name, everytime its said I think it should be Amanda instead and it gets on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

savinhill posted:

I just hate her name, everytime its said I think it should be Amanda instead and it gets on my nerves.

Well, we southerners come up with weird names...

• Locked thread