Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

The Cyborg RAT uses not one, but two lasers, both of which don't equally get affected by dirt. Suddenly you'll have a speck of dust blocking the vertical laser and you can only move your mouse horizontally. :psyduck:

Ha drat that's what was causing this? Mine did it all the time and I had to bang it on the desk to fix it.
I can't even bring myself to sell the mouse because I just can't inflict that sort of torment on my fellow man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Logitech MX518 that I've used as my primary mouse for almost 10 years is finally starting to need a replacement. I've worn completely through the pads on the bottom and the rubber rests on top have worn to the plastic.

I'm trying to figure out what the current generation of this mouse is, but Logitech's site is a mess. Anyone here know?

Also, if it is the G500s, please tell me there is a way to turn the LEDs on that mouse off without having to install custom drivers.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chuu posted:

My Logitech MX518 that I've used as my primary mouse for almost 10 years is finally starting to need a replacement. I've worn completely through the pads on the bottom and the rubber rests on top have worn to the plastic.

I'm trying to figure out what the current generation of this mouse is, but Logitech's site is a mess. Anyone here know?

Also, if it is the G500s, please tell me there is a way to turn the LEDs on that mouse off without having to install custom drivers.

The G400S is the current incarnation of the MX518. The G500S is a little bigger, has a side tilting wheel, more buttons, and is shaped slightly differently.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Surface talk - There is only one Mousemat I can use anymore and I use that term lightly, because it's just under a metre long. Boogie Bug XL, shits 900x450mm and looks clean, just black and simple, great glide and easy to clean. I love having some kind of padding under the keyboard too, it dampens the sound a bit and feels "nicer" I can't explain it :arghfist:

(not my setup)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Chuu posted:

You should get a G502, it's an optical sensor like the 518 (albeit a fancy modern one) and you can turn all the lights on it off.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Or just open the fucker up and remove all LEDs. I've pretty much become accustomed to do that to lots of electrical devices I own.

Astrobastard posted:

Surface talk - There is only one Mousemat I can use anymore and I use that term lightly, because it's just under a metre long. Boogie Bug XL, shits 900x450mm and looks clean, just black and simple, great glide and easy to clean. I love having some kind of padding under the keyboard too, it dampens the sound a bit and feels "nicer" I can't explain it :arghfist:

(not my setup)

I actually never got the Idea to use these huge pads to just cover the entire desk, I was always looking at them like tradtional mousepads you'd put besides your keyboard and could never figure out why you wanted such a comically large thing for that. now all finally makes sense. Boy I'm :downs:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Mortimer posted:

Dust your rooms

Sorry aunt Mabel, I'll get right on that. Can you pass the pledge

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Police Automaton posted:

Or just open the fucker up and remove all LEDs. I've pretty much become accustomed to do that to lots of electrical devices I own.

I actually never got the Idea to use these huge pads to just cover the entire desk, I was always looking at them like tradtional mousepads you'd put besides your keyboard and could never figure out why you wanted such a comically large thing for that. now all finally makes sense. Boy I'm :downs:

It's just a big blue G as far as I can tell, well, that and when you actually change DPI it'll show you which of up to 5 profiles you're on briefly. You can turn the blue G off in an on-board or a computer-based profile, ain't no thang.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do people tend to like the 502 better than the 400/500s? I've been using MX500-style mouses since they've been released and am a little scared of change.

I have pretty big hands so the 500s being bigger than the 400/MX518 is probably a good thing, but the MX518 is pretty much the perfect size to "claw" grip.

As a sidenote, the MX5xx series NIB goes for insane prices on Amazon. The MX510 is $250, the MX500 is $215, the MX518 is $100. I was (am?) seriously considering dropping $100 for an exact replacement. I guess those with richer blood don't mind dropping $200.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 14, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The 502 is a proper spiritual successor I think since it's optical. Most everyone here seems to like it, I think there have been a few nitpicks (especially looks) but for the most part I think it's the best all around mouse you can buy right now.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

404notfound posted:

So I've narrowed the problem down somewhat. In on-board mode, any mouse key bound to a keystroke instead of a mouse function will fail to register if pressed while the mouse is in motion. What a weird and disappointing problem. :smith:

Goo posted:

I am finding the same thing. That is very very odd.

Logging it with QA now.

Just wanted to revisit this to say that I finally went and updated my G602's firmware (from 4700.0010 to 4700.0012) and the problem is gone. Thanks for the fix! :unsmith:

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Didn't know that had gone live yet. Thanks for finding the issue - we hadn't seen it before you pointed it out.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

The 502 is a proper spiritual successor I think since it's optical. Most everyone here seems to like it, I think there have been a few nitpicks (especially looks) but for the most part I think it's the best all around mouse you can buy right now.

Been quickly scanning the thread looking for a replacement for my IntelliMouse which has now starting to show its age, was thinking of the 502 but I was going to go all out and buy the MX Darkfield which I thought was the flagship product.

I am leaning heavily towards the MX but the 502 and the 602 with their extra buttons looks useful, not really bothered with the gaming abilities but can I program the buttons to work in Photoshop and 3D Studio Max products? I saw Cyborg R.A.T and such like have two scroll wheels, can they be changed to do what I like? Never had a mouse with programmable buttons before so have had no experience with the software that comes with them.

I like the look of the MX as from the pictures it looks bigger than the rest and with my clumsy gorria sized hands be the most comfortable and that being most important feature for me.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Afterdark posted:

Been quickly scanning the thread looking for a replacement for my IntelliMouse which has now starting to show its age, was thinking of the 502 but I was going to go all out and buy the MX Darkfield which I thought was the flagship product.

I am leaning heavily towards the MX but the 502 and the 602 with their extra buttons looks useful, not really bothered with the gaming abilities but can I program the buttons to work in Photoshop and 3D Studio Max products? I saw Cyborg R.A.T and such like have two scroll wheels, can they be changed to do what I like? Never had a mouse with programmable buttons before so have had no experience with the software that comes with them.

I like the look of the MX as from the pictures it looks bigger than the rest and with my clumsy gorria sized hands be the most comfortable and that being most important feature for me.

The G602 at least can do just that. You can customize the the button settings on a program by program basis, as long as you use the Logitech Software. Which, honestly, has been so far completely unobtrusive.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My Kova+ has developed the same double click problem that ruined my Razer Lachesis and it seems to be getting worse. I didn't want to buy another of the same brand because I'm rather upset that it developed double click in only a few months, so I bought a Sensei Raw because it looked ambidextrous, not too large, and was much cheaper than the regular Sensei.

I forgot the Sensei had a laser sensor. It's already shipped. Oops.

I still have yet to find a mouse that is nearly as well built and durable as my old Razer Diamondback 2G that I got six years ago. I gave it to somebody when it was four years old and it was still working. The Diamondback 3G I replaced it with (I wanted green really badly for some reason) lasted about two years before the scroll wheel died. Neither of the two mice I got afterwards made it past a year.

I'd kill to get an unused Diamondback 2G.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the Diamondback was both more durable and had its button surfaces as separate pieces from the rest of the mouse.

E: Actually on further review the Kova+ lasted a year and a half. Still not good enough.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 17, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I picked up a Naga 2014 a little while back after my kitten ate the cable on my Deathadder 2013 (the little bastard loves braided cables, I have to stow the Naga when I go to bed.)

I know Razer is literally Hitler in this thread, but I want to keep hold of it for MMO purposes. Is it worth me grabbing a G502 for general use? I have a shaky history with Logitech on account of how lovely their drivers used to be, and the hulking slab that is the G35, which I am sure has given me lasting neck problems due to how heavy it was.

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

Is it worth me grabbing a G502 for general use? I have a shaky history with Logitech on account of how lovely their drivers used to be, and the hulking slab that is the G35, which I am sure has given me lasting neck problems due to how heavy it was.

I have the same Naga, which I love for the same reasons. Every brand has it's merits that if combined would just monopolize. If Razer had unify, my absolute favorite Logitech feature and a standard I've come to rely on with limited USB ports (having absolute disgust for 3rd party hubs), I'd abandon all else.

Anyway, Logitech drivers have improved drastically over the last couple years. It's one of the things that keeps any hardware company in business...consistent steady increase of functionality and simplicity.

Woolie Wool posted:

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the Diamondback was both more durable and had its button surfaces as separate pieces from the rest of the mouse.

Durability arguably kills repeat business & customers. A sad fact That myself and many others gradually become unwittingly accustomed to.

etcetc
Apr 22, 2013
I really really dislike all the fancy flairs and extra looks that are on a lot of mice such as the G502 that try to make it look "cool". I think it's unappealing and I've sort of limited my choices down to the G400, G400s, Razer Deathadder, and the Zowie AM. I mostly play FPS, such as CS:GO and Battlefield 4. Any suggestions on those 4? I use a palm grip right now with a logitech m705.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Frkzd posted:

Durability arguably kills repeat business & customers. A sad fact That myself and many others gradually become unwittingly accustomed to.

The flipside of this is "Wait, the mouse is how much?!"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Frkzd posted:

Well the Lachesis failed so fast I'm not going to be a Razer "repeat customer" again unless they come out with a mouse that will suck me, gently caress me, and sing with a five octave range. The Kova's durability was disappointing. The Lachesis' was loving unacceptable.

And speaking of disappointing, I don't like how flimsy and cheap feeling the Sensei Raw is in person. In pictures and videos it looks nice but when you actually hold one you can tell where the $25 off the purchase price came from. Also Z-TRACKING :argh:

Do all the laser mouse manufacturers get their sensors from the same place? Are these sensors actually even made for mice or are they adapted from some industrial application?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Woolie Wool posted:

E: Actually on further review the Kova+ lasted a year and a half. Still not good enough.

Longer than mine lasted, the wheel on mine died after a year. And the rubber started flaking after about half a year.

I really hope the durability on this Avior 7000 holds up because so far this thing is pretty fantastic. I do wish it was a little lighter weight, but it hasn't been an issue so far.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I really hope logitech makes some other mice with the G502's sensor. I really liked how it tracked but the metal wheel just wasn't working for me.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

taels posted:

So what is the best way for a yank to acquire one?

Amazon shows shipping from japan, 18 days or so. Ebay is a bit snappier with the delivery dates but from the UK people are charging ~50$USD for shipping alone...

edit: In retrospect, I'm not so sure I'm a fan of the Kana being that I detest ambidextrous button design. I'm thinking the sensei or maybe rival is better for me? Any noticeable performance differences between these two and the kana from those with experience? Looking for optical, prefer a back/forward button on the same side of my mice.

Uk goon reporting I picked one up from Ebuyer when they are on sale, nothing wrong with it but it just felt too small after my func ms-3. If you want I would ship at cost.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Anyone have any mice recommendations for someone who uses a DeathAdder but wants to upgrade to something with more buttons?

Just picked up a naga and it's way too small for my hands - feels very uncomfortable.

(my hands aren't even that big nor am I fat it just seems like a really tiny mouse)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's the Logitech G600. I don't know how large it is, but it's pretty much that or the Naga for many buttons.

Size comparisons show it to be a bit bigger.

The Naga Epic (the wireless one) also has swappable side plates that make it fatter, but it's kind of expensive.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
A couple weeks ago, I got the G602 as an upgrade to my M500, and I like most things about it. I just really wish it had the same scroll wheel. I liked the free scroll, but I really liked how I was able to remap the wheel tilts to different commands. With the wheel not having side tilts on the G602, it feels like I've lost a couple "buttons" in some ways, even though I have more.

Really solid mouse though, and definitely an upgrade.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

oswald ownenstein posted:

Anyone have any mice recommendations for someone who uses a DeathAdder but wants to upgrade to something with more buttons?

Just picked up a naga and it's way too small for my hands - feels very uncomfortable.

(my hands aren't even that big nor am I fat it just seems like a really tiny mouse)

Logitech G502 or G602. I think the 502 is the better mouse, but the G602 is wireless.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

oswald ownenstein posted:

If you want something more DeathAdder shaped, try the Avior 7000. It's fairly decent sized, medium weight (around 100g I think?). Has a total of 9 buttons though the ones below the mouse wheel are very small.

G502 is on the heavier side (120g), 11 buttons total I think. Non-ambidextrous shape though.

The G600 is a laser mouse so keep that in mind. Not sure how many buttons you want or need exactly, I can't personally imagine a need for that many mouse buttons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you want something more DeathAdder shaped, try the Avior 7000. It's fairly decent sized, medium weight (around 100g I think?). Has a total of 9 buttons though the ones below the mouse wheel are very small.

G502 is on the heavier side (120g), 11 buttons total I think. Non-ambidextrous shape though.

The G600 is a laser mouse so keep that in mind. Not sure how many buttons you want or need exactly, I can't personally imagine a need for that many mouse buttons.

The G602, on the other hand, is wireless, still has 8 extra buttons, and has an excellent optical sensor.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

The Lord Bude posted:

The G602, on the other hand, is wireless, still has 8 extra buttons, and has an excellent optical sensor.

Does the G602 come with some way to recharge it or do you have to use AA batteries exclusively?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Athropos posted:

Does the G602 come with some way to recharge it or do you have to use AA batteries exclusively?

AAs exclusively, which isn't a big problem. I got mine on March 11 and am still using the original batteries.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Athropos posted:

AA batteries, but they last for literal months. When I got my replacement G602, I was still using the same set of batteries that the first one came with, which was about five months of use at that point.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Awesome, thank you!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

overdriveGTO posted:

I really hope logitech makes some other mice with the G502's sensor. I really liked how it tracked but the metal wheel just wasn't working for me.

Could you expand a little on the wheel? I'm going to pick up either a G502 or a G700/s to replace my dying G500 (the receipt was left half a continent away :( ) and that could be a deciding factor.

It's important that it 'tilts' well in particular, as I use that feature a lot both working and gaming; I recently found a Performance MX at work and while it's still a great mouse the wheel doesn't click when tilting, which is a bit annoying.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

It's been a while since I had a mouse with a tilt wheel. I picked up a G502 and discovered that tilting the wheel causes it to do something akin to page up/down in browsers, a very fast vertical scroll. It is set to side scroll in the Logitech software. The only page I could find talking about this on the internet was a Logitech forum page saying it did this in Excel and it just wasn't supported by the software? This doesn't make any sense, side scroll is pretty basic functionality that worked on my old G500 just fine.

How do I get actual side-scroll?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My MX518 scroll wheel has bitten the dust. It's lasted since 2011. Time to get a 502...

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
My g700 developed a problem where it would sometimes double click with a single click and I was going to just buy a new mouse, but someone told me to try logitech support because sometimes they might offer a discount for a new mouse when you have a faulty one out of warranty. I called and it turned out it was the day before the 3 year warranty expired and they're just sending me a new g700s.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

NihilCredo posted:

Could you expand a little on the wheel? I'm going to pick up either a G502 or a G700/s to replace my dying G500 (the receipt was left half a continent away :( ) and that could be a deciding factor.

It's important that it 'tilts' well in particular, as I use that feature a lot both working and gaming; I recently found a Performance MX at work and while it's still a great mouse the wheel doesn't click when tilting, which is a bit annoying.

I have small hands so the way I hold the mouse, my scroll wheel finger only reaches like 25% of the exposed portion of the wheel. On rubberized wheels, this is fine because i can get sufficient grip. On the metal wheel, it was too slick. If you have bigger hands or hold your mouse such that your finger is completely on the top center of the wheel, you shouldn't have the issue I have.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It's been a while since I had a mouse with a tilt wheel. I picked up a G502 and discovered that tilting the wheel causes it to do something akin to page up/down in browsers, a very fast vertical scroll. It is set to side scroll in the Logitech software. The only page I could find talking about this on the internet was a Logitech forum page saying it did this in Excel and it just wasn't supported by the software? This doesn't make any sense, side scroll is pretty basic functionality that worked on my old G500 just fine.

How do I get actual side-scroll?

This is not actually helpful to your specific question, but I don't think I've ever actually used the wheel tilt as side scroll - it's just much easier to middle click and move the mouse if you want to scroll horizontally.

Using the wheel tilt for tab navigation was a game changer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Even though I am sure nobody really cares about "that old thing" I got my Intellimouse a few days ago and could not be happier. The mouse has this heavy "rugged plastic" feeling that's hard to put in words (the IBM Model M feels about the same) and is a good size for my big hands. The LED for the Sensor switches into a dim mode when the mouse isn't moved. Another LED in the back is all for design and gives it kind of a "light tail". I opened up the mouse but could not bring myself to remove the LED as I thought it looked kind of cool to be honest.

The feet are made of a rubbery-feeling plastic which I think could be the weakest point of this mouse as they would get hosed up easily eventually on a hard surface. (managed to put a scratch into one even with my fingernail, and I barely have fingernails) I liked what the razer mice I had did there, with Teflon feet which are not nearly as easily damaged and probably "glide" better. You could probably reproduce the effect by taking some Teflon tape and putting it over the feet, it even might be a worthwhile modification.

The microswitches for the buttons are nothing special and could easily be cleaned/replaced when a button fails with a bit of soldering and bog standard parts, either new or scavenged of some other mouse. The lense can be easily reached for cleaning in case of excessive dirt/spilling of fluids. Else there is not a lot that can go wrong with this mouse. I am fairly certain with good handling and maintenance, you can easily get a decade of operation out of this part.

The speed and amount of buttons is also absolutely perfect for me. I don't need anything more. I might stock up on a few as I am certain it'll get harder to get PS/2 compatible mice for old computers in the future. I have to say about the two side buttons that they are far better placed than the side buttons on my Razer Lachesis. I'd hit it's side buttons on accident often and they were generally uncomfortable to reach, not so with this mouse.

So much for my small review of an old mouse nobody produces anymore. I'm probably the first person who downgraded from expensive razer mice to this.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 26, 2014