Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is another Rubicon

I love it, they made 80's computer programming not boring. One season AMC cult following.. ALso, not going to lie. A bird in a singlet and no bra works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What the gently caress? This show is so stupid.

E: Yep, absurdly retarded.
e2: gently caress this show. Daytime soaps are better plotted than this poo poo

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2014

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I really want this show to be good, but goddamn, each episode is worst than the last...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

I really want this show to be good, but goddamn, each episode is worst than the last...

It's like the pitch to AMC was "Mad Men in the 80s", and when it got picked up the writers panicked and what little they had was stretched into an entire season and the story gaps were filled in like Cameron fills in whiteboards.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't think AMC really gets that high concept plots only work if the characters are interesting. Make me care about the characters and I will care about their problems. I'm not going to care just because the actors are emoting.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't think AMC really gets that high concept plots only work if the characters are interesting. Make me care about the characters and I will care about their problems. I'm not going to care just because the actors are emoting.

So far this episode turned Donna into an interesting character in her own right, but yeah, the main three characters are basically cardboard cutouts. We're only on the third episode so I'm hoping things get better.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

OctoberBlues posted:

In this episode Cameron not only does nothing worthwhile, but somehow manages to be even more unlikable.

But, :lol::cop::lol:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hahahahaha holy poo poo Cameron is a complete moron. She destroyed her back-ups by leaving right next to her speakers and then acts like a complete child bitching about how when you're being creative you don't stop to do book-keeping.

This show is a complete joke. Whatever they're going for with Joe this episode completely blew it. Then what exactly happened with the cops? Joe got hauled out of his car, taken to a back room and then stomped on because...reasons?

So much potential, blown so quickly.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

pentyne posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo Cameron is a complete moron. She destroyed her back-ups by leaving right next to her speakers and then acts like a complete child bitching about how when you're being creative you don't stop to do book-keeping.

This show is a complete joke. Whatever they're going for with Joe this episode completely blew it. Then what exactly happened with the cops? Joe got hauled out of his car, taken to a back room and then stomped on because...reasons?

So much potential, blown so quickly.

You really didn't pay much attention did you...

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
Donna's the only character I'm finding even remotely interesting.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I swear the next episode will just be Joe pleasuring all the male characters in an orgy and then laughing at Cameron because she's straight, and then all of a sudden she turns out to have a dick, and then Joe makes up some random loving reason that this was all part of his master plan to jump start Cardiff Electric and everybody's all, "That Joe is one smart badass!"

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I actually thought that episode was a little better than 2 or 3. But still not very good.

The scene with Cameron and the spray paint was awful.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wish there was an alternate version of the show where they bring in Donna to program the BIOS and the Cameron character doesn't exist.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Donna rocks as a character and the actress can act. I like the Donna/Gordon dynamic. Gordon is a good character if a little underwhelming. Cameron and her spraypaint was the most interesting thing she's done and there was actual acting involved. Ep4 was a huge improvement over 3 but the show is still disappointing overall. I'll keep watching. The first half of Justified S1 was also terrible and it picked up dramatically.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Toilet Terror posted:

Donna's the only character I'm finding even remotely interesting.

Yup. Talk about making your best female character a second-stringer.

I haven't said "yes, please kill yourself" to a television character standing on the roof of a building in a very long time, but Cameron made me do it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 26, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's kind of telling when a hard drive recovery is more engrossing than the characters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WebDog posted:

It's kind of telling when a hard drive recovery is more engrossing than the characters.

We just don't 'get it,' evidently. Maybe we're not 'close enough to the metal.'

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Agreed, Donna was the best part of last episode

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

This is another Rubicon

I love it, they made 80's computer programming not boring. One season AMC cult following.. ALso, not going to lie. A bird in a singlet and no bra works for me.

Rubicon was way more interesting, though. And I won't miss HCF as much as I miss Rubicon.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Donna's more badass than anyone at Cardiff. She needs to move to Cupertino and have her own show.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
She's come a long way from Scrubs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

She's come a long way from Scrubs.

I didn't even realize she was in Scrubs until you posted that; I think it has something to do with her hair color. I do remember her from Argo though.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Donna and Gordon are the only worthwhile characters on the show.
A more interesting drama would have focused on them, and the effect a Cult of Personality-type like Joe has on their family. I don't care about Joe or Cardiff Electric, but I do (kinda) care about how Joe's decisions are affecting the other characters. Joe himself is boooring.

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

Rubicon was way more interesting, though. And I won't miss HCF as much as I miss Rubicon.

Loved Rubicon

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Rubicon was so much better than this.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Smart scheduling by AMC, though. I would absolutely not be watching this any more if there was anything else to watch on a Sunday night.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I think everyone else is watching some other show with the same name, plot and actors, but much much worse.

Really enjoying the characters, yes even JoeCameron.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Honestly, the best way you can look at this show is as a parody of prestige television. At the very least, it is operating off a checklist of cliches from better shows.

-Character with dark and mysterious past. Check!
-Sex. Check!
-Fistfights. Check!
-Characters who respond to minor slights in absurdly disproportionate ways (Bossman having cops beat up Joe, Cameron with the spray paint, neighbor with the shotgun). Check!
-rear end in a top hat main character. Double check!

The show feels like someone was trying to copy Mad Men without understanding what makes a show like that work in the first place. They seem to want every episode to be like the Hershey pitch, except they haven't built characters who are rounded enough to make it pay off for the audience.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JohnSherman posted:

-Characters who respond to minor slights in absurdly disproportionate ways (Bossman having cops beat up Joe, Cameron with the spray paint, neighbor with the shotgun). Check!

Cameron is immature and emotionally stunted so over reacting makes sense for her character.

The neighbor was responding to a probable burglar, in Texas, so the shotgun doesn't surprise me; that he didn't call the cops first does. But he is an emotional wreck from losing his job for what must seem like a very petty reason (auto accident).

Bosworth was asserting dominance and trying to regain control of his company and his life, which Joe intentionally sabotaged, has nearly bankrupted, putting most of their employees out of work and leaving Bosworth looking like a incompetent fool.

Calling Cameron white trash or whatever was a slight. Having your world turned upside down and your livelihood threatened is pretty scary and people have been killed for less.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ok, that game thing is funny.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
This episode was actually pretty decent. Maybe even good?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
The less this show tries to hit melodramatic moments, the better. The meeting wasn't so bad, the video game stuff was funny, and I like goon patrol.

Please keep this tone, show. Don't start off next week with shirtless Joe screaming at the sky during a thunderstorm.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Seems like they must have filmed the previous episodes together in a different batch, this one was pretty captivating and quite a bit more put together than the rest.

This still probably won't end up as 'AMC gold' but its chances have increased in my eye.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I've enjoyed the episodes thus far, but this one was definitely the best. The show is good when it doesn't try to get too technical. Episodes like tonight keep plot moving and help us get a better grasp of the character.

If I did the five episode litmus test, I'd say this is the one that is keeping me going on watching it. Hoping the next episodes continue the momentum.

Also, finally glad that Cameron got a shower.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That was the episode the series should have started with, quality-wise.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
That last episode was definitely a step up, mostly because it had a minimum number of :rolleyes: technical moments. But I feel like these characters are so thin that every episode is basically just a couple scenes reiterating the same thing about them over and over again.

* Gordon is smart but clueless, relies on wife to save his rear end or reign him in.
* Donna is unappreciated in her industry.
* Joe will do anything and spin his life any way he needs to in order to close a deal. Also, he has a mysterious past.
* Cameron is brilliant but a loose cannon.

Every episode just keeps hitting on those same points and this last episode I just kept thinking "for gently caress's sake we get it already". At least Gordon cleaning up his own mess was a nice changeup.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jake Armitage posted:

Every episode just keeps hitting on those same points and this last episode I just kept thinking "for gently caress's sake we get it already". At least Gordon cleaning up his own mess was a nice changeup.

To be fair, Mad Men's first 5 episodes was exactly the same thing with the exception of Peggy shaking things up and Don smoking weed. You had to get to the latter half of the season to have characters stop being more than 'a horndog ad man' or 'a naive housewife'.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
This episode was surprisingly good.

Are there any Japanese dramas where they discuss how to do business with Americans? I want to know what our cultural/business stereotypes are.

"Remember: Americans appreciate it if you are very loud and overly personal."

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The episode was good for this series but I want more substance, I agree about it feeling thin and reiterating the same character traits. Cameron seems to be taking a new direction, that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Measly Twerp posted:

I think everyone else is watching some other show with the same name, plot and actors, but much much worse.

Really enjoying the characters, yes even JoeCameron.

It comes down to the frustration that the show isn't fitting people's preconceptions of what they feel it should be and as a result they are unable to enjoy the show for what it is. I don't argue that it's flawed, but so far it's been good enough to keep me interested and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt - for now.

Agents of SHIELD had the same exact problem, and if anything can be learned from that show it's to reserve final judgement until the season finishes out and the bigger picture comes more into focus.

Another problem is that H&CF has been tasked with being a substitute for other shows that are either on season hiatus or off the air entirely. It probably would have been a lot better received if the viewers weren't currently going through Mad Men/Walking Dead/Breaking Bad withdrawal.

• Locked thread