Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Imagined posted:

Soft modding a slim PS2 is super easy and I highly recommend it to anybody.

As a caveat to this, only a small number of early SCPH-9000x models support this, the first batches they made; if yours has a date of 9D or later I don't think it will work, which is annoying because the SCPH-9000x series doesn't require an AC adapter, just a straight cable like the slim PS3/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Good to know. I guess I got lucky and happened to have the right one. I have a fat with a network adapter in the closet, too, waiting on me to get an IDE drive and do the HD loader thing.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Imagined posted:

Good to know. I guess I got lucky and happened to have the right one. I have a fat with a network adapter in the closet, too, waiting on me to get an IDE drive and do the HD loader thing.

There's actually a way to mod the hard drive directly. I'll see if I can find it. I did it a couple months ago when Acid hadn't come through with the memory card yet.

Edit:

http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/ps2/hardware-and-modding/ps2-hdd-modding-tutorial-hddosd/

Follow this guide. Then you can grab Free MCBoot, use uLaunchElf to install it, and have a fancy menu to do things with. Or you can launch the installed apps from the browser menu, or uLaunchElf itself. I'd recommend also grabbing Open PS2 Loader 0.9.2, for some slight improvements tot he software.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 22, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

This is what I did this afternoon.

I'm gonna clean up the cuts and put a li'l clamp to hold the top together, but the baby woke up from his nap.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RodShaft posted:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

RodShaft posted:

I'm gonna clean up the cuts and put a li'l clamp to hold the top together, but the baby woke up from his nap.

That's... actually not a terrible idea.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Here's a comparison of the Firemen. I want to say this is a sync problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtDblY_MRA

This is definitely sync but I have no idea why it happens in some games and not in others. :iiam:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Miyamoto, I need to pick your brain on SNES Mini RGB modding. What did you use for sync and how was your cable wired?

Pin 7 on the encoder chip to pin 3 on the AV port.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

This is definitely sync but I have no idea why it happens in some games and not in others. :iiam:

Pin 7 on the encoder chip to pin 3 on the AV port.

OK, thanks. Asbrandt and Monitor_Burn helped confirm that in IRC. My current cable doesn't have pin 3 wired up so I have one on order now. But I'm also wondering why pin 7 rather than pin 18 like RetroRGB's mod.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Pin 7 is CSYNC before it goes into the chip. Maybe there's something hosed up with the way the chip is doing the sync processing. Just for kicks, you ought to desolder 18 and do 7 instead to see if it fixes your problem.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RodShaft posted:

So I take it that Famicom games go in the opposite way that NES carts do? I just assumed that the labels would be on the same side for both.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to be on the lookout for a SNES soon because I've never ever owned one. I'm part of the Trinitron Crew(tm) and as such S-Video is the best I can use for it. As long as I don't get a SNES Jr., the type/revision/whatever of the console doesn't really come into play unless I decide later to go all RGB on it's rear end, right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Pin 7 is CSYNC before it goes into the chip. Maybe there's something hosed up with the way the chip is doing the sync processing. Just for kicks, you ought to desolder 18 and do 7 instead to see if it fixes your problem.

I first came across this issue on a Model 1 1CHIP. The Mini I didn't mod until yesterday. I'll check it with pin 18 first when I get the new cable first. If the problem sticks around, then I'll change it to 7. I hate soldering those tiny rear end points. :argh:

Edit: To be clear, my cable is using composite video for sync so the sync problem on the 1CHIP also happens on the Mini. I haven't actually had been able to use CSYNC upon discovery that my cable doesn't have it.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 23, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

So I take it that Famicom games go in the opposite way that NES carts do? I just assumed that the labels would be on the same side for both.

Correct.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Tried 2 different memory cards, still not getting my Everdrive GB to work. Should the menu come up without a MicroSD card in there? A YT video I watched mentioned that the OS is actually burned onto a chip on the cart itself. I followed that guy's instructions to a T, and I'm still not getting anything. I either got a bad Everdrive GB, or this GB Boy Color doesn't like it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

trunkwontopen posted:

Tried 2 different memory cards, still not getting my Everdrive GB to work. Should the menu come up without a MicroSD card in there? A YT video I watched mentioned that the OS is actually burned onto a chip on the cart itself. I followed that guy's instructions to a T, and I'm still not getting anything. I either got a bad Everdrive GB, or this GB Boy Color doesn't like it.

No, it will boot the last good game on the cart. Try using the SD card formatter and then put 1 rom on the sd card

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
The Speed Gamers are conducting a week-long Pokemon marathon for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
They're auctioning off a copy of Gen 1 Red autographed by me right now, and the high bid's $455 now (it's cut-throat, so the total's well over $800).
Their cut-throat auction of Gen 1 Blue also signed went for $500 high bid, and fetched $800 all told.
At the end of the week, they're going to auction off the original Game Boy Pocket I used when localizing Gen 1 ~ and likely 2, also signed.

PLease check it out--it's for a great cause.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If I wanted to capture audio and video from a top-loading NES for streaming/recording purposes how would I do it? An RF splitter and a capture card with coax input?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

If I wanted to capture audio and video from a top-loading NES for streaming/recording purposes how would I do it? An RF splitter and a capture card with coax input?

I'm honestly not even sure that would work; even with composite out, capturing NES footage is a gigantic pain in the rear end if it's not run through an upscaler first, most capture devices just lose their minds entirely.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Cicero posted:

You'd be better off composite modding it, or if you want to be a real boss, getting a NESRGB and take the input from that.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cicero posted:

Plug the NES into an old VCR. It should at least have coax and composite outputs and be able to split the signal nicely. Run coax to your TV and the composite to the capture card.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I first came across this issue on a Model 1 1CHIP. The Mini I didn't mod until yesterday. I'll check it with pin 18 first when I get the new cable first. If the problem sticks around, then I'll change it to 7. I hate soldering those tiny rear end points. :argh:

Edit: To be clear, my cable is using composite video for sync so the sync problem on the 1CHIP also happens on the Mini. I haven't actually had been able to use CSYNC upon discovery that my cable doesn't have it.

Jump the csync and composite pin on the AV pinout maybe. That could work I think?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

Jump the csync and composite pin on the AV pinout maybe. That could work I think?

I've considered it as I've done that on my N64. But I don't want to cut the board.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

RodShaft posted:

I wonder if this would work on a famicom with a 72-to-60 pin converter :o

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 23, 2014

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

flyboi posted:

No, it will boot the last good game on the cart. Try using the SD card formatter and then put 1 rom on the sd card

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Okay, tried that, getting the same results. Do the ROM's need to be in a folder off of the root directory (i.e. G:\)? Do I need some type of additional files placed on there? I am using a verified good 1 GB Lexar MicroSD card, formatted to FAT or FAT32 (tried both). The only other card that I'm trying is from my phone, which is a 32GB card. I would hate to see that it's this EDGB cart that is bad, I'm thinking its seriously the GB Boy Colour. If it makes a difference, I have the particular model of the GBBC that had the 130 some-odd games on the chip that boot if there is no game inserted.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 23, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

trunkwontopen posted:

Okay, tried that, getting the same results. Do the ROM's need to be in a folder off of the root directory (i.e. G:\)? Do I need some type of additional files placed on there? I am using a verified good 1 GB Lexar MicroSD card, formatted to FAT or FAT32 (tried both). The only other card that I'm trying is from my phone, which is a 32GB card. I would hate to see that it's this EDGB cart that is bad, I'm thinking its seriously the GB Boy Colour. If it makes a difference, I have the particular model of the GBBC that had the 130 some-odd games on the chip that boot if there is no game inserted.

Shouldn't need any other files, try posting on krikzz's forum and ask him for some help

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Is it just me or is Sonic 1 just really... bad? Other than Green Hill there is no sense of speed, the platforming is repetitive and the levels seem haphazardly thrown together. Oh and spikes will bounce you back and forth with no chance of recovery, thanks guys.

I noticed the other Sonic game I dislike (Sonic CD) is by the same core team so... not too surprised. (Sonic 2 and onwards was Naka and co. after moving to SOA)

But man, Labyrinth zone, especially that boss... it sure is fun to have a perfectly timed jump end up killing you because the water just happened to rush past you at that moment. Let alone you aren't even fighting Robotnik, you are fighting the environment. Just... bleh. I couldn't even bother to finish it.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

univbee posted:

I'm honestly not even sure that would work; even with composite out, capturing NES footage is a gigantic pain in the rear end if it's not run through an upscaler first, most capture devices just lose their minds entirely.

...what? With composite video, you use a composite capture card. It's not difficult at all. An upscaler is absolutely unnecessary.

edit to append: you're going to want a powered splitter if you don't want quality loss (immediately noticeable as a loss of brightness for passive splitters). For composite, they're fairly cheap.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

URL grey tea posted:

Is it just me or is Sonic 1 just really... bad? Other than Green Hill there is no sense of speed, the platforming is repetitive and the levels seem haphazardly thrown together. Oh and spikes will bounce you back and forth with no chance of recovery, thanks guys.

I noticed the other Sonic game I dislike (Sonic CD) is by the same core team so... not too surprised. (Sonic 2 and onwards was Naka and co. after moving to SOA)

But man, Labyrinth zone, especially that boss... it sure is fun to have a perfectly timed jump end up killing you because the water just happened to rush past you at that moment. Let alone you aren't even fighting Robotnik, you are fighting the environment. Just... bleh. I couldn't even bother to finish it.

It's one of the handful of Sonic games I've actually finished, and one of the two 2D games (the other one being... Sonic CD!) I managed to get all the emeralds, too, which means I never have to play it again!

Nah it was alright but I don't feel a pressing need to run through it again.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

flyboi posted:

Shouldn't need any other files, try posting on krikzz's forum and ask him for some help

I'll do that. I'm not in a position to try this on other hardware, want to do that first. Thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, so, I inherited another Gamecube today and it has wires exposed on the back for tis region switch. Is as easy as soldering on a new switch and calling it a day or will work have to be put in elsewhere?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Only Shallow posted:

What's black, rubberized, bigger than a breadbox*, way too loud, has a web interface, and lets you write games?

The DTL-T10000, of course!

That was a pretty intense post, thanks!

Bean posted:

You all need to invest in dollys. Dollies? Either way, I have a small one from wal-mart and I swear it's the best thing I ever bought.

It would always make me laugh when people called these hand trucks. I know that's a legit term and all, but it's still funny to me.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I'm eagerly awaiting the results of your SNES 1chip tinkering. I have the same issue with Chrono Trigger on my rgb modded snes mini and 1chip snes and got sick of soldering the chips so I gave up fiddling with it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If none of you have played the game Falling Stars for the PS2, it's treasure.

Like what the hell am I playing treasure.

Mind you this game came out well into the PS2's lifespan. But I've never played a game so pink and green before.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh god I missed this thread.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

...what? With composite video, you use a composite capture card. It's not difficult at all. An upscaler is absolutely unnecessary.

edit to append: you're going to want a powered splitter if you don't want quality loss (immediately noticeable as a loss of brightness for passive splitters). For composite, they're fairly cheap.

A lot of capture devices will not like resolutions lower than 480i. It doesn't really depend on the price though; even the cheapest easycaps will handle it fine. Just read up on whatever device you're looking to buy to make sure..

As for capturing a coaxial signal, a VCR will usually work fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So did any of you get your Atari 2600 flashcarts yet?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh god I missed this thread.

It's been a very long couple of days. What did I miss? Did the bubble burst? Are everyone's Earthbound CIB completely worthless? Did a new awesome mod come out? DID SOMEBODY BUY ANOTHER DOUJINDANCE CONSOLE!?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

A lot of capture devices will not like resolutions lower than 480i. It doesn't really depend on the price though; even the cheapest easycaps will handle it fine. Just read up on whatever device you're looking to buy to make sure..

As for capturing a coaxial signal, a VCR will usually work fine.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to. I even had a $1500 capture/editing card once a long time ago and it flat-out refused any console signal, it just couldn't do a goddamn thing with it. But as mentioned, it's not necessarily something that requires expensive equipment, but it's something that can go pear-shaped in all sorts of ways (like freaking out during transitions of if the screen goes entirely black) and requires equipment with a decent tolerance for uneven signals. Incidentally, the Angry Video Game Nerd used a DVD Recorder for a long time (I don't know if he still does) because it was a very no-bullshit way of being able to record and essentially guaranteed not to crash.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

univbee posted:

Yeah, this is what I was referring to. I even had a $1500 capture/editing card once a long time ago and it flat-out refused any console signal, it just couldn't do a goddamn thing with it. But as mentioned, it's not necessarily something that requires expensive equipment, but it's something that can go pear-shaped in all sorts of ways (like freaking out during transitions of if the screen goes entirely black) and requires equipment with a decent tolerance for uneven signals. Incidentally, the Angry Video Game Nerd used a DVD Recorder for a long time (I don't know if he still does) because it was a very no-bullshit way of being able to record and essentially guaranteed not to crash.

Yep, DVD recorders went a long way. I believe SDA still uses them for submissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Nintendo Kid posted:

So did any of you get your Atari 2600 flashcarts yet?

Forums are back woohoo. I've talked a ton about getting one, but officially waiting until after my birthday just in case someone else got me one.

• Locked thread