Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If he counters your attack you can re-counter it if you wait for the right moment.

I just YouTubed this to make sure and I swear you're just going to have to believe me when I say this didn't happen in my copy of the game. Sorry.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Sometimes people just need to admit when they're loving bad at a game.

Eat a dick, dude. I'm not claiming to be MLG pro but I like to imagine I'm at least competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
My big issue with combat in Origins is that some of the fights take place in very cramped quarters and I keep getting hit by enemies that I can't see. Fighting a camera isn't as much fun as fighting a gang of Gotham thugs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the Freeze DLC add any new challenges, etc, or is it just a dollop of story?
It's a story-based DLC, but it's actually pretty solid. Get it.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Honestly, I think the Mr. Freeze DLC was pretty great. If anything, I was disappointed because it was a bit too short and the pacing was a bit odd at times.

The scenery was fantastic, though.
Agreed on all counts. I also didn't care that (in my case, at least) I didn't even get two of the EX-suit upgrades until after the game was over, rendering them pretty useless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to be the dissenting voice and say that I didn't even finish the Mr. Freeze DLC because it was just a boring rehash of the first TAS episode he was in. It added nothing new on any level. Unless you're really jonesing for more of Origin's combat, I wouldn't recommend it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Origins DLC is thoroughly unoriginal in content and gameplay, but I enjoyed it.

Die Laughing posted:

Arkham Origins has the best costumes. The true metric these games should be judged by. Adam West, Knightfall, and Batman 1,000,000? Love it.

Yeah, it had the Bat-urshanka from Red Son.

I guess there were other costumes too, but I'm not sure how they could compete.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Concussion Grenades are pretty garbage for the most part from what I can tell. This just seems to be another detriment to them.

They were also not explained well. Alfred suggests you use them so that you won't have to beat up the cops quite as badly, but all they do is stun; you still have to beat them up. So I spent a lot of time trying to stun them into submission with the grenades until I realized that wouldn't work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Silly Alfred. You and your unhelpful advice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Finally got around to finishing Blackgate.

It's okay. Has a few good ideas, but it comes across as a bit bland an empty for the most part.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Having beat Harley Quinn's Revenge yesterday, I can say while I enjoyed playing as Robin, his stealth segment is hot garbage. Wow. It was even worse than the Two-Face boss segment in Catwoman's DLC.

His combat's neat, though.

EDIT: VVV I recently finished doing all 440 challenges. 400 of Batman's, 40 of Catwoman's.

I don't even like playing as Catwoman. I did it because I'm loving insane.

EDIT X2:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you kidding? The new map is like 200 times the size of Asylum. There will be so many Riddler trophies, to collect them all will be like the en masse counter frenzy from the Ra's fight.

I really want to see this now.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 26, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kinda hoping that if there's Riddler Trophies/Gubbins/Whatever (and I'm sure there will be) in Arkham Knight, they dial it back a bit. Arkham Asylum was perfect on riddler poo poo, City had way way way WAY too much of it. 400 trophies to finish the sidequest? Hell no I'm not doing that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Are you kidding? The new map is like 200 times the size of Asylum. There will be so many Riddler trophies, to collect them all will be like the en masse counter frenzy from the Ra's fight.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Look man I'm just hoping Rocksteady will have the sense to realize that just because you CAN do a thing doesn't mean it's a good idea :(

Also, huh, Steam is convinced that I don't own Arkham City and won't let me buy Harley Quinn's Revenge. That's uh...that's interesting.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bit of an exaggeration - I believe the official line is 20x the size of Asylum, 5x the size of City.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I do agree with the Captain though. 400 Riddler challenges was way overkill. Hell, I feel like 240 in Asylum was pushing it. You couldn't go 20 feet in City without tripping over a glowing green trophy surrounded by buttons or levers or whatever. With a city that's the size of a real, honest to god city now, maybe one challenge every couple of blocks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a person who enjoyed the gameplay of Arkham City and enjoys the Riddler as a villain, let me just be the first to say gently caress Riddler in Arkham City.

440 Tropies + all those Riddler Revenge Emblems is just overkill. I want to 100% this game but this (and AR stuff) is killing me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kalonZombie posted:

I do agree with the Captain though. 400 Riddler challenges was way overkill. Hell, I feel like 240 in Asylum was pushing it. You couldn't go 20 feet in City without tripping over a glowing green trophy surrounded by buttons or levers or whatever. With a city that's the size of a real, honest to god city now, maybe one challenge every couple of blocks.

Don't forget that in asylum while there were only officially 240, about 20 of those we're breaking Joker teeth. There really were 300+ collectibles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

It goes worse in Origin too.

They could cut back a bit on the number of ones that are just single gadget-based unlocks. They're not completely unjustifiable (gives you a reason to explore, makes you appreciate upgrades, etc), but it felt like they starting relying on them more in Origins.

E: Asylum had more straight-up "photograph this" riddles, and lining things up. The former were great, because it was a neat way to deliver backstory.

And the Joker's Teeth were almost always in groups.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 26, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I never found the Riddler stuff in Origins as bad as City. Origins was tedious at worst, whereas City was unbelievably obnoxious with some of its things being in the most obscure of locations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

I'm not sure why that is a bad thing to be honest. I much prefer "there is something to do pretty much everywhere" to "there is a lot of empty boring space in between interesting things." Arkham City was one of the few games I actually had to motivation to find all the collectibles in and it was because they were heavily populated and (usually) involved doing different things to collect.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It goes worse in Origin too.

They could cut back a bit on the number of ones that are just single gadget-based unlocks. They're not completely unjustifiable (gives you a reason to explore, makes you appreciate upgrades, etc), but it felt like they starting relying on them more in Origins.

E: Asylum had more straight-up "photograph this" riddles, and lining things up. The former were great, because it was a neat way to deliver backstory.

And the Joker's Teeth were almost always in groups.

There are only like 200 Riddler packs in Origins.

I wish they brought back the photograph riddles.

Ad yah, each area had like 8 or 9 so packs, 9 maps...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why that is a bad thing to be honest. I much prefer "there is something to do pretty much everywhere" to "there is a lot of empty boring space in between interesting things." Arkham City was one of the few games I actually had to motivation to find all the collectibles in and it was because they were heavily populated and (usually) involved doing different things to collect.

Case in point: L.A. Noir.

Don't base your open world around a giant empty city.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The worst part, for me, about City's Riddler carnival was all the Catwoman ones. I don't have that DLC. I never will, because I refuse to partake of that horrible side-industry and it didn't occur to me to wait for the GotY edition like I do with Bethesda games.

There's all these neon red question marks dotting the landscape and I can't do anything with them :smith:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

The worst part, for me, about City's Riddler carnival was all the Catwoman ones. I don't have that DLC. I never will, because I refuse to partake of that horrible side-industry and it didn't occur to me to wait for the GotY edition like I do with Bethesda games.
The horrible side-industry of buying games new?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

There are only like 200 Riddler packs in Origins.

I wish they brought back the photograph riddles.

Ad yah, each area had like 8 or 9 so packs, 9 maps...

Plus the cameras, and the Anarky and Pinkney stuff.

Origins had too many collectibles which were too easy to get.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As a person who enjoyed the gameplay of Arkham City and enjoys the Riddler as a villain, let me just be the first to say gently caress Riddler in Arkham City.

440 Tropies + all those Riddler Revenge Emblems is just overkill. I want to 100% this game but this (and AR stuff) is killing me.

One of his two or three game over screens is the best one in any Arkham game though. The one with the delayed smirk like two seconds after he stops speaking.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The horrible side-industry of buying games new?

No, of dipshit DLC and gatelocking. It's on the disc? Then let me play it! I don't want to sign up to some service or whatever the gently caress they wanted from me. Give me the entire game, I paid for the goddamn thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The catwoman stuff was for people who bought the game new, it wasn't any other kind of DLC.

I'd really like to see more, y'know, riddles, and fewer gameplay mechanic puzzles, especially the trivial ones (I really liked the underground deathtraps, those were a nice touch-I suspect more like that were originally planned for AC). Unfortunately, our preview of Riddler's Underground Destruction Derby doesn't bode well for more detective-oriented riddler challenge gameplay.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 26, 2014

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

No, of dipshit DLC and gatelocking. It's on the disc? Then let me play it! I don't want to sign up to some service or whatever the gently caress they wanted from me. Give me the entire game, I paid for the goddamn thing.

You didn't have to sign up for anything, you just had to redeem your code through Xbox Live/PSN. It was purely an incentive to get people to not buy the game used, and if you didn't actually pay them for your copy I doubt they care what you think.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I gotta say, "gently caress Rockstar for not giving me stuff even though I haven't actually given them any of my money" seems kind of petulant. Why should they owe you anything if you didn't give them anything?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Can someone point out where I said I didn't pay for the game? You guys are all making some jackass assumptions here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Can someone point out where I said I didn't pay for the game? You guys are all making some jackass assumptions here.

So you paid for the game but didn't install the Catwoman stuff because you didn't want to input a code?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't connect my Xbox to the internet, so it's less "don't feel like" and more "would have to rearrange my apartment to do so". I seriously don't think it's too much to ask that I be given access to the content I paid for without jumping through hoops.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't connect my Xbox to the internet, so it's less "don't feel like" and more "would have to rearrange my apartment to do so". I seriously don't think it's too much to ask that I be given access to the content I paid for without jumping through hoops.

Having a console or computer capable of being connected to the internet is generally not considered much of a hoop these days, sorry.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
In that case I can sympathize with you, though for what it's worth the Catwoman DLC is a 250+MB download rather than unlocking something off the disk. Do you have one of those old Xboxes that didn't have WiFi built in? I remember the wireless adapter being highway robbery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also the final boss in Blackgate is the worst thing in the series.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also the final boss in Blackgate is the worst thing in the series.

You should try it as Zombie Batman.

Zombie Batman is immune to all damage.

Made it kind of funny, actually.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yalborap posted:

You should try it as Zombie Batman.

Zombie Batman is immune to all damage.

Made it kind of funny, actually.

I did, it was the only way I could beat it.

The timing on a bunch of the attacks still felt annoyingly tight, and completely unlike the rest of the game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

FWIW the Catwoman DLC is basically like playing Batman but not as good and actually frustratingly lovely at times.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pros and Cons of Catwoman:

Pros: Running isn't loud enough to alert enemies; Catwoman can strike faster than most goons, so countering isn't usually mandatory to keep a combo going.

Cons: Lack of gadget variety; slow climbing speed makes traveling/doing predator a chore; almost no health/armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pros and Cons of Catwoman:

Pros: Running isn't loud enough to alert enemies; Catwoman can strike faster than most goons, so countering isn't usually mandatory to keep a combo going.

Cons: Lack of gadget variety; slow climbing speed makes traveling/doing predator a chore; almost no health/armor

Pro: TAS Catwoman skin is :3:

• Locked thread