Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mariposa posted:

The more thoroughly they're cooked, the less they bother me, but that's mostly a function of them losing flavor and some of that "crisp" vegetable quality that I find offputting. For the record, I have never seen them in lasagna, unless maybe they were hidden in some kind of mirepoix, by which point they have been reduced to mush and rendered harmless.

I often use them in a mirepoix to add a subtle sweetness and fresh quality to the whole dish. Sometimes when I make lasagna, baked ziti, or other baked tomato casseroles, I will add bell peppers sliced thin and sweated with garlic, just to take out the snap. A lot of the vegetal flavor goes into the sauce and adds a nice freshness to the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But.....but......a full breakfast..........

I KNOW. It's just sad that people are completely unwilling to even TASTE things, because they are squeamish.

therattle posted:

What's so hard for people to accept that some people just don't like certain foods?

I think the issue is that lots of these "dislikes" are either just the product of a lack of exposure as a child, learned behaviour or an unwillingness to try things. For instance, a girl I know "dislikes" offal. Not because she's ever had it, but because her mother always told her not to eat it. I know other people who dislike "fish" because it's slimy. Which means that they have not actually tried a piece of properly cooked fish. These are not sensible behaviours, and can potentially be corrected.

Now, the fact that I dislike peanut butter is nothing like that, because I have tried it multiple times in the various incarnations that are reputed to be the best, and I have not enjoyed the flavour or texture. It's not learned from my family, as my father loves peanut butter, and it's not an unwillingness to try, I simply don't like it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As always, a fine line between dislike and allergy.

I'm not sure if it's it really an allergy or what, but I can't digest green bell peppers properly. Any kind of spicy chili pepper is fine, but if I have some mild bell pepper, I get painful burps, and sometimes acid reflux. Raw are the worst; cooking them helps mitigate the ill effects a bit. Also, color doesn't matter much: yellow and red seem slightly easier for me to eat then green, but they still do the same thing.

From the outside, this might look like a lovely excuse to not eat something that I dislike... Thing is, I loving love bell peppers! Delicious!

In fact, they call to me... on occasion I will eat a greasy Italian sausage sandwich with onions and peppers, knowing full well that I'll be suffering for an hour or two. Worth it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm not sure if it's it really an allergy or what, but I can't digest green bell peppers properly. Any kind of spicy chili pepper is fine, but if I have some mild bell pepper, I get painful burps, and sometimes acid reflux. Raw are the worst; cooking them helps mitigate the ill effects a bit. Also, color doesn't matter much: yellow and red seem slightly easier for me to eat then green, but they still do the same thing.

I am genuinely curious, do you know what the medical basis for this is? I would have thought that bell peppers and chili peppers were so closely related that if you were allergic to one, you'd be allergic to the other.

Also, how come people can be allergic to nuts, including things that aren't actually nuts? Does anyone know why that is?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I am genuinely curious, do you know what the medical basis for this is? I would have thought that bell peppers and chili peppers were so closely related that if you were allergic to one, you'd be allergic to the other.

Also, how come people can be allergic to nuts, including things that aren't actually nuts? Does anyone know why that is?

Maybe it's quantity? You generally eat way less of a hot pepper than you would a bell pepper.

Also, tree nut allergies and peanut allergies are two different things, but some people have both.

Add me to the anti bell pepper club. I won't flip the table over if someone serves me one, but I don't enjoy the flavor.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The only foods o don't lime I guess are the various cheddar or your cream/onion flavour potato chips but that's more to do with negative connotations from terrible car trips while a child.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't really like green bells too much but red and other colors are great.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I don't really like green bells too much but red and other colors are great.

Yeah, they do taste a little bit different, don't they.

Scientastic posted:

I am genuinely curious, do you know what the medical basis for this is?

No clue. I also don't like calling it an allergy, I just think of it as something that I can't digest.

Wroughtirony posted:

Maybe it's quantity? You generally eat way less of a hot pepper than you would a bell pepper.

Great point! But no, I'm super sensitive to the bell peppers, even a few bites will do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some foods can also legitimately taste different to different people, and you'll even get variance among different cultivars of the same vegetable. My case in point is that I can't eat grapefruit or drink tonic water. They're intolerably bitter to me, much like chewing on tylenol, including the "I can't rinse this flavour out of my mouth no matter how much water I drink" aspect. The funny thing is I actually like artificial grapefruit flavour and those tri-citrus marmalades that they sell in which the grapefruit has been processed so much that it doesn't taste like pesticide anymore. But the fruit or the juice is just a no-go.

Now what's weird about this is I get the same flavour out of brussels sprouts too, so I avoid them, even though they're basically the same loving plant as broccoli, cabbage, and califlower, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_oleracea) which are my favourites.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

Also, tree nut allergies and peanut allergies are two different things, but some people have both.

Add me to the anti bell pepper club. I won't flip the table over if someone serves me one, but I don't enjoy the flavor.

I like red and will tolerate green/yellow when thoroughly cooked but don't really like them raw. I'm not mad on liquorice flavours either.

I can't abide dill, cilantro, caraway, or almond essence/Amaretto flavour. I get to experience those inadvertently frequently enough to confirm that I just don't like them. My father doesn't like those things either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah, gently caress amaretto.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
We can post again!

I found out there is a legal definition of what a sandwich is in NY. http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/sandwiches.htm

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

contrapants posted:

We can post again!

I found out there is a legal definition of what a sandwich is in NY. http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/sandwiches.htm

Do Double Downs fall under the "otherwise" part of the definition?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

contrapants posted:

We can post again!

Mmm, tavern licenses. In other news, who is gonna get hit by this lightning storm tonight?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Well.

New York really seems to have answered the question:

New York posted:

Sandwiches include cold and hot sandwiches of every kind that are prepared and ready to be eaten, whether made on bread, on bagels, on rolls, in pitas, in wraps, or otherwise, and regardless of the filling or number of layers. A sandwich can be as simple as a buttered bagel or roll, or as elaborate as a six-foot, toasted submarine sandwich.

Some examples of taxable sandwiches include:

common sandwiches, such as:
    BLTs (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches);
    club sandwiches;
    cold cut sandwiches;
    grilled cheese sandwiches;
    peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    salad-type sandwiches (e.g., chicken, egg, ham, and tuna);
    bagel sandwiches (served buttered or with spreads, or otherwise as a sandwich);
    burritos
    cheese-steak sandwiches;
    croissant sandwiches;
    fish fry sandwiches;
    flatbread sandwiches;
    breakfast sandwiches;
    gyros;
    hamburgers on buns, rolls, etc.;
    heroes, hoagies, torpedoes, grinders, submarines, and other such sandwiches;
    hot dogs and sausages on buns, rolls, etc.;
    melt sandwiches;
    open-faced sandwiches;
    panini sandwiches;
    Reuben sandwiches; and
    wraps and pita sandwiches.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Part of why this is has to do with the aforementioned tavern license, which allows for wine/beer provided there is food on offer such as sandwiches, but costs substantially less than a full liquor or restaurant license.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Burrito is in there. I don't disagree, but that means a taco is a sandwich too, right? Has to be.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When my buddy finally told Quiznos to go gently caress themselves, their numerous legal threats reminded him that he wasn't allowed to sell sandwiches. So he opened a pizza shop, and sold "wraps".

Once the legal threats died down a little, he added this line to his wrap menu "All wraps now available on rolls."

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Kandinsky On A Plate: Art-Inspired Salad Just Tastes Better

I'm going to make eggss and bacon look like Munch's "The Scream" and see if my breakfast will invoke existential anxiety and anguish. (edit: more than usual I mean)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Burrito is in there. I don't disagree, but that means a taco is a sandwich too, right? Has to be.

taco is definitely a sandwich.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
All sandwiches are tacos actually, we just didn't have an Earl of Taco to monopolize the terminology.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yay forums are back! Whoo! In other news, I've booked the ticket to New York for when this chemistry class is over, and will be wandering the Northeast while I'm up there until September, when I do the Major Trip to VA. Can't wait to see wrought, charmmi, etc etc. Puppy and I are going to hit up Montreal again (HI BEARS) once I get up there. Depending on the money situation, I'll either fly, or take the train. Apparently the train is absolutely beautiful views and other crap, but it takes freaking 12 hours to get there from Penn. Ugggggh.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Under that definition, apparently. I think if we allow that anything not structurally dependent on bread qualifies as a sandwich then we're walking the path to madness.

Under this construction it appears, for example, that a pizza is a sandwich. And thus we've managed to rule-lawyer our way into a definition that confounds rather than assists in communication; I suspect no individual has ever, absent external compulsion or personal mania, uttered the phrase, `Let's go get a sandwich,' meaning tacos.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

Under that definition, apparently. I think if we allow that anything not structurally dependent on bread qualifies as a sandwich then we're walking the path to madness.

Under this construction it appears, for example, that a pizza is a sandwich. And thus we've managed to rule-lawyer our way into a definition that confounds rather than assists in communication; I suspect no individual has ever, absent external compulsion or personal mania, uttered the phrase, `Let's go get a sandwich,' meaning tacos.

I would say that a sandwich requires the bread to be ready made before sandwich construction begins. Therefore pizza is not a sandwich but a flatbread.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would say that a sandwich requires the bread to be ready made before sandwich construction begins. Therefore pizza is not a sandwich but a flatbread.
I think it's a fairly complicated designation that isn't really amenable to simple definition. Because it's an everyday item that everyone feels is simple and straightforward there's this confusion that the usage must also be simple and straightforward.

Like it's difficult to come up with some sort of structural argument in which a hamburger is not a sandwich, but if you ask someone if they want a sandwich and you give them a cheeseburger I think everyone involved is aware that there's some winning-a-bar-bet level assholery going on here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Subway sells flatbread subs and flatbread pizzas so I guess that's really just an open faced sub.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Subway sells flatbread subs and flatbread pizzas so I guess that's really just an open faced sub.
I think the Olive Garden gives you unlimited garlic and butter sandwiches.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

I think the Olive Garden gives you unlimited garlic and butter sandwiches.

well, the butter-like-product is applied pre bake i think, so no, it's not a sandwich. :P

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
So ciabatta's out as a sandwich. What about naan, where you brush it with ghee after baking it but before serving it? Is that a sandwich?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

So ciabatta's out as a sandwich. What about naan, where you brush it with ghee after baking it but before serving it? Is that a sandwich?

still think it's just a flatbread, but if you want it to be a minimalist sandwich sure. You can make a sandwich with naan though. Butter isn't really a sandwich filling. More of a condiment. I guess the real question is, is a condiment sandwich a sandwich?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They describe a bagel with cream cheese as a sandwhich so any bread with a thing on it is a sandwhich. It has lost all meaning.

Bagel with cream cheese, sandwhich
Bread with butter on it, sandwhich
Naan with ghee clearly also sandwhich
Chip with dip apparently sandwhich.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

They describe a bagel with cream cheese as a sandwhich so any bread with a thing on it is a sandwhich. It has lost all meaning.

eh, cream cheese is a cheese which can be a filling in so far as grilled cheese sandwiches are clearly sandwiches.

edit:
a chip is not a bread, therefore not sandwich

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Bagel with cream cheese, sandwhich
Bread with butter on it, sandwhich
Naan with ghee clearly also sandwhich
Chip with dip apparently sandwhich.
No, clearly if you brush the butter on before baking then it's just bread but if you brush it on after then it's a sandwich.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So are you saying a bagel with cream cheese which is a sandwhich is a sandwhich but the same bagel with butter would not be? The whole enterprise is goobery.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

does dipping bread in olive oil make it a sandwich?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GrAviTy84 posted:

does dipping bread in olive oil make it a sandwich?

According to New York I think it would.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Of course it isn't, because it's a kind of bread. Bread is not a sandwich on its own.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Of course it isn't, because it's a kind of bread. Bread is not a sandwich on its own.
But put it in a tortilla and then it is.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

of course. A tortilla is a flatbread. If a gyro sandwich is a sandwich then a taco is a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Sure, because then it's the filling and not a structural component.