Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

morestuff posted:

I feel like teams are getting a lot more cautious about this type of stuff, though. Blair and Sullinger's slides come to mind.

Neither of those guys were even remotely the prospect Embiid is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mandrel posted:

I'm aware of that, but they still slipped a ton farther than people expected. Same with Noel, to a lesser extent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mandrel posted:

Sullinger would have probably gone top 5 without the back thing

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Yeah I think after his freshman year Sullinger was the early favorite for number 1 overall the next year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sixers and Warriors rumors for #7 were pretty soundly refuted.

And the Lakers are having another round of workouts, but this one will be private. It's most of the guys from the last public workout but also some guys who are projected lower. Lots of Lakers fans are suggesting this is proof that the team is trading down, but I think it's just being ready in case the Suns/Bulls/Thunder try and dump one of their spare 1sts (Suns seem the most likely candidate due to having three picks and 9 [10 if they bring back Bledsoe] guys already with guaranteed contracts next year, so I can't even make fun of Sarver too much if this happens).

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Rick posted:

And the Lakers are having another round of workouts, but this one will be private. It's most of the guys from the last public workout but also some guys who are projected lower. Lots of Lakers fans are suggesting this is proof that the team is trading down, but I think it's just being ready in case the Suns/Bulls/Thunder try and dump one of their spare 1sts (Suns seem the most likely candidate due to having three picks and 9 [10 if they bring back Bledsoe] guys already with guaranteed contracts next year, so I can't even make fun of Sarver too much if this happens).

Lakers need so many pieces it makes sense to have a lot of guys they like figured out just in case opportunities arise.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

That's where Chad Ford has him going.

Shut up Chad Ford I want him to somehow fall to the Spurs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Utah has worked out Gordon a second time. Apparently this time was secret.

Utah is going to field an Evans/Gobert/Gordon lineup for maximum MV watchability

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ironically I kinda hate Gordon and want Vonleh.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I try to imagine MourningView's ideal team and I just picture a team dunking on Ginobili and being dunked on by him every possession.

So basically 5-on-5 NBA Jam.

v News like that is just the loving worst. :smith:

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 22, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For lack of a better place to put this, former Baylor center Isaiah Austin just announced that he was yesterday diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that deteriorates the body's connective tissue. Needless to say, his basketball career is over. It also sounds like his life might be shortened considerably, as (unless I'm mistaken - I just learned about the disorder today) there is no cure and the disorder can lead to Aortic Enlargement (which could itself lead to heart failure) and other life-threatening issues.

So, you know...gently caress. :smith:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 22, 2014

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Definitely sucks for him, but his life isn't necessarily shortened:

quote:

As recently as 40 years ago, people with Marfan syndrome faced a virtually hopeless situation on account of chronic mitral and aortic regurgitation, heart failure, and acute and chronic aortic dissection. Life span was reduced by at least one third, with many patients succumbing in the second and third decades. Today, cardiovascular manifestations of Marfan syndrome remain among the central issues in diagnosis and management, but it is incumbent on the physicians who encounter these patients to stress the prophylactic monitoring and therapies that now can result in a nearly normal life expectancy.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/21/2802.long

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to put this, former Baylor center Isaiah Austin just announced that he was yesterday diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that deteriorates the body's connective tissue. Needless to say, his basketball career is over. It also sounds like his life might be shortened considerably, as (unless I'm mistaken - I just learned about the disorder today) there is no cure and continued deterioration can lead to heart failure and other life-threatening issues.

gently caress. I have a cousin with Marfan Syndrome and while its nowhere near as deadly as it used to be, it's an awful syndrome that destroys your body worse than most cancers. Here's hoping some team gives him a one day contract or something so he can say he was in in the NBA :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pylb posted:

Definitely sucks for him, but his life isn't necessarily shortened:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/21/2802.long

Well, that's something, at least. Still, brutal news for Isaiah. From the cusp of the draft to square zero in a day. I can't even imagine.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to put this, former Baylor center Isaiah Austin just announced that he was yesterday diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that deteriorates the body's connective tissue. Needless to say, his basketball career is over. It also sounds like his life might be shortened considerably, as (unless I'm mistaken - I just learned about the disorder today) there is no cure and the disorder can lead to Aortic Enlargement (which could itself lead to heart failure) and other life-threatening issues.

.0(

For real though, I wish him the best. That sucks a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's really hosed up. He was about to be one of the better stories of the draft, blind in one eye and still drafted in the first round. What a rough life.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Wow. I assume the NBA will void his draft status and Baylor will honour his scholarship and let him go back and complete his degree. Hopefully he can get a job with the school if he wants it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Isn't Marfan really connected to giantism? That might explain also why he was always a beanpole and never seemed to put on any muscle. Or maybe that's not how Marfan works at all.

Either way, that really sucks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

roundmidnight posted:

Wow. I assume the NBA will void his draft status and Baylor will honour his scholarship and let him go back and complete his degree. Hopefully he can get a job with the school if he wants it.

Baylor's announcement has already confirmed that Isaiah is welcome to come back and finish his degree on scholarship, and Drew's announced his hope that Austin will be a part of the coaching staff - I'm not entirely sure if Austin's officially taken him up on the job yet, though. Still, nice to see Baylor doing the right thing here.

Probably Magic posted:

Isn't Marfan really connected to giantism? That might explain also why he was always a beanpole and never seemed to put on any muscle. Or maybe that's not how Marfan works at all.

I thought the same thing. Makes it really impressive that he ever became as good as he did, honestly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Probably Magic posted:

Two completely different things. Gigantism, an outdated term for acromegaly, is generally caused by an excess of HGH, usually stemming from a pituitary tumor. Fun fact: it has been hypothesized that the myth of David vs. Goliath was based on a fight between an average sized man and someone with acromegaly. David was able to win because a pitutary tumor would also press on the optic chiasm, causing vision problems including a complete loss of peripheral vision.

Marfan syndrome is a disorder of connective tissue that for reasons not entirely understood, usually comes along with above average height, wingspan, and hand/foot size. Generally, they die from structural cardiovascular problems. Heart valve malfunctions, dissections, etc. are usually the culprit.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Would that effect regular muscle growth, though? Maybe that's a stupid question, just wondering if that's held back Austin in areas other than getting drafted.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A dumb, complex draft game I made up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645323

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

— Chicago's looking to move up to grab to spots 9 through 11 to grab Stauskas or McDermott

— Cavs are trying to get Exum in for one last look

— Teams are apparently trying to trade up to grab Embiid, wherever he falls

— Charlotte may have promised to take Mitch McGary at 24

— Bill Simmons wrote one of the worst, most Simmons-y articles I've seen from him in a while

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pretty sure the Cavs are going to draft Exum, pretty sure we are all going to laugh at them, pretty sure he'll be okay at worst

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

In Miami its being reported that the Heat want to move up (the only thing they can offer in terms of personnel is Norris Cole) to grab Shabazz Napier because LeBron likes him. Also, a decent non lovely PG is basically the biggest need for the Heat at the moment, aside from keeping the Big 3 together.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

Also, a decent non lovely PG is basically the biggest need for the Heat at the moment, aside from keeping the Big 3 together.

ooh probably don't want napier then

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Welcome back to the forums, everyone!

Cavs tried to fly in Exum for a private workout, but he refused. As I saw someone on Twitter say--only the Cavs, having the #1 pick, could lose control of this draft.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

These anonymous GM/Scout articles always come off like bullshit, but it's funny how little these guys know about Exum

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

ooh probably don't want napier then

Is he better than Chalmers/Cole? Does he have a chance of being better? That's the biggest question. Even a slight upgrade at the PG spot is better than Chalmers the last half of the season and playoffs. I was a big Chalmers defender for a long time too.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Marcus Smart, Number One Draft Pick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think Elfrid Payton has jumped around 20 spots in every mock draft since the forums went down, too.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

vegaji posted:

Welcome back to the forums, everyone!

Cavs tried to fly in Exum for a private workout, but he refused. As I saw someone on Twitter say--only the Cavs, having the #1 pick, could lose control of this draft.

So now they definitely are gonna draft him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

These anonymous GM/Scout articles always come off like bullshit, but it's funny how little these guys know about Exum

Apparently he has the same agent as Dion Waiters, lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Declan MacManus posted:

We can add crafty to his pro list.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hey the forums are back

So one thing I've been wondering, and I'm sure the answer here is obvious, but all they've been talking about here is that Wiggins/Parker are gone by the time they get to the Sixers. Let's say Exum or Embiid (lol) go first, and then Milwaukee takes Wiggins. Do the Sixers just take Parker? I'm only asking this here because no one is actually factoring him in as a theoretical option available at three. It feels like no one is talking about him any more.

Needless to say I'm pretty loving sure that Hinkie is gonna blow it tomorrow and make a reach pick because it would be a Sixers thing to do.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Declan MacManus posted:

If it somehow works twice then I'm ready to declare that dude the best loving agent in sports history

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I was gonna do a big thing on my top 32 players like I did a couple years ago but then I was like "nah the forums will still be down that'll be a waste of time" and whoops.

I mean it would have been a waste of time either way but ya know.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

double sulk posted:

Hey the forums are back

So one thing I've been wondering, and I'm sure the answer here is obvious, but all they've been talking about here is that Wiggins/Parker are gone by the time they get to the Sixers. Let's say Exum or Embiid (lol) go first, and then Milwaukee takes Wiggins. Do the Sixers just take Parker? I'm only asking this here because no one is actually factoring him in as a theoretical option available at three. It feels like no one is talking about him any more.

Needless to say I'm pretty loving sure that Hinkie is gonna blow it tomorrow and make a reach pick because it would be a Sixers thing to do.

General consensus is the Bucks would take Parker over Wiggins so you don't even have to worry if that situation develops. As a Bucks fan I am hoping Cleveland takes Parker so the Bucks get Wiggins. Either way thank jesus the Bucks did not get the third or fourth pick this year.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
It's hilarious how bad Parker wants to go to the Bucks. Probably cause he could still live in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

I was gonna do a big thing on my top 32 players like I did a couple years ago but then I was like "nah the forums will still be down that'll be a waste of time" and whoops.

I mean it would have been a waste of time either way but ya know.

Do it anyway, I need something to read at work tomorrow. Just work through the night and I'm sure you can get it done.

• Locked thread