Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
You may remember that last time we left the Frame Arms build, I was talking about how the next task would be masking and spraying the secondary colour. This did take place, sort of, but so did large setbacks.

Allow me to explain.

As I was handling the pieces to get the masking done, I noticed that the paint I'd already laid down was dusty. Dusty enough that it could just be rubbed off the model in places.

Oh dear. I was fearful this might happen.

When spraying the pieces with the initial, tan colour, I was spraying at slightly too high pressure and more importantly, I was spraying from too far away. This is very bad when you're spraying paint, because what happens is that the paint 'dries' as it travels through the air. What this is means is that when the paint arrives at the model part, there's no fluidity to the paint and it's just dried particles of pigment. This is bad, although you can also deliberately do this when you desire a 'dust' weather effect.

So what now you ask? Well...you strip it back and do it again. Properly.

Now those of you paying attention will know that I was using enamel paints, so you might think I'd use enamel thinners to strip this kit. However, enamel thinners also like to eat plastic, so instead we'll be using:

This! It apparently 'loves the jobs I hate.'

Baggie up and spray. For anyone else doing this, you'll probably want to put in less parts at a time. I tried to cheat and do the whole batch but it's just meant I've needed to do this twice because of poor coverage.

Then all you need is an old toothbrush and:

Voila. And what's this? That's right; the Tamiya primer remains unaffected! Chemistry in action, folks.

So that's the stage I'm at once again. I now need to do pre-shading once more and then re-paint. Then mask. Then paint again...

But you get the idea. I thought I'd post this as a lesson to everyone that YOU WILL gently caress UP from time to time and the thing is not to panic or give-up. Just take it back and do it again. You'll always do it better the second time.

Incidentally, because I got out my secondary colour prior to discovering disaster, I did get some of the purely brown pieces sprayed and they came out wonderfully. I might showcase them next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Turpenoid (noid, not tine) is basically enamel thinner, but it doesn't eat plastic for whatever reason. It's ridiculously convenient whenever I need to strip off my metallics, so consider looking for some.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy's got a review of a certain new 250,000+ Yen kit up...

A Gold Beargguy and blu-ray set cost more than the goddamn Neo Zeong :wtc:. Japanese anime dvd prices really are hosed up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

runwiled posted:

Then all you need is an old toothbrush and:

Voila. And what's this? That's right; the Tamiya primer remains unaffected! Chemistry in action, folks.

drat, that's a super useful thing to know!

Gonna get a weird wide toast rack or somethin for runners and that Zssa is nice as heck.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GundamGuy's got a review of a certain new 250,000+ Yen kit up...

A Gold Beargguy and blu-ray set cost more than the goddamn Neo Zeong :wtc:. Japanese anime dvd prices really are hosed up.

Christ. If media cost that much in the States we'd have already given the Pirate Bay guys asylum.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
And so it begins.

HG 1/144 G-Self - Announced!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I really hope that's not a finalized name. Besides that, I like it. Give me a MG Bandai.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jegan Ace posted:

And so it begins.

I'm curious to see what other Strike packs they're going to release for that aside from the two we've seen.

Also, that's not the only one announced.

HG 1/144 Grimoire - Announced!

This thing's probably going to be the Zaku variant if that head's anything to go by :awesomelon:.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This thing's probably going to be the Zaku variant if that head's anything to go by :awesomelon:.

Jegan Ace posted:

And so it begins.

I don't care how weird the names are, I am super excited about these. Hell, I'm willing to double dip and buy both HGs and MGs for these, they hit the weird sweet spot where it's awesome for me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I on the other hand like them because they suggest another line I can safely ignore, which is excellent news for my modeling budget after a rather shockingly expensive year.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jegan Ace posted:

And so it begins.

I just can't deal with those horns. They serve no purpose other than to be as different as possible. They'd even block a significant portion of the main camera's vision!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did AGE do really well or something? Why are they making another show aimed at children? They must know children arent the ones wasting money on neo zeongs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

did AGE do really well or something?

Clearly it didn't considering at least three AGE MGs got canceled.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Jegan Ace posted:

And so it begins.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious to see what other Strike packs they're going to release for that aside from the two we've seen.

Oh my god I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Makes me think of Code Geass stuff for some reason. I think it's the backpack and how stumpy it looks + the tiny gun.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm actually kind of sore over the apparent axing of the MG AGE-FX and hope it does show up eventually, but given the lingering stink around that series I ain't gonna hold my breath for it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

did AGE do really well or something? Why are they making another show aimed at children? They must know children arent the ones wasting money on neo zeongs.

Tomino's making it so imagine they are banking on that drawing in the older fans. Also I haven't really seen anything that makes it seem like they are trying super hard to appeal to children. It looks like Tomino is making King Gainer Gundam.

Something about the Grimoire makes it look like a guy in a suit to me. Maybe it's the head. It kind of looks like a helmet.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Makes me think of Code Geass stuff for some reason. I think it's the backpack and how stumpy it looks + the tiny gun.

looks like suisei no gargantia robots to me with how they are just lumpy humanoid shapes

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ethiser posted:

Tomino's making it so imagine they are banking on that drawing in the older fans. Also I haven't really seen anything that makes it seem like they are trying super hard to appeal to children. It looks like Tomino is making King Gainer Gundam.

Something about the Grimoire makes it look like a guy in a suit to me. Maybe it's the head. It kind of looks like a helmet.

press release seems to say children are the target

"Tomino Yushiyuki said that the new Gundam: G no Reconguista is not meant for the UC or Origin fans but for the children. The series was made so that children of Gundam fans can enjoy."

That could also mean its aimed at young adults given how old gundam is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fauxtool posted:

press release seems to say children are the target

"Tomino Yushiyuki said that the new Gundam: G no Reconguista is not meant for the UC or Origin fans but for the children. The series was made so that children of Gundam fans can enjoy."

That could also mean its aimed at young adults given how old gundam is.

What could have possibly made you ever doubt that this would be for children? What main-line, televised Gundam series wasn't for children? What show has Tomino made that wasn't a children's show?

They're doing Gundam the Origin for middle-aged male Gundam fans.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boom boom boom posted:

What could have possibly made you ever doubt that this would be for children? What main-line, televised Gundam series wasn't for children? What show has Tomino made that wasn't a children's show?

They're doing Gundam the Origin for middle-aged male Gundam fans.

Let see, gundam series that were on TV not aimed specifically at children, but actually young adults.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer

Everything in the list has been shown on TV, if OVAs dont count its still a lot.

Aren't you the fucker who got slapped down by zorak when you tried to report us for third party kits?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Let see, gundam series that were on TV not aimed specifically at children, but actually young adults.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Everything in the list has been shown on TV, if OVAs dont count its still a lot.

Aren't you the fucker who got slapped down by zorak when you tried to report us for third party kits?

There's another thread for dumb arguments about the target audiences of the various series.
This one is for the fun little plastic robots.

On that note, any opinion on #11 versus #17 x-acto blades?

e: Whoops.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 26, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
design knife http://www.hlj.com/product/tam74020/Sup

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Assuming you mean #11, I hear #17 is actually better for modeling but #11 is so much more general purpose that it's my preferred blade.

EDIT: Oh and the forums died before anyone could post this so I might as well. Bandai apparently decided to just save all their announcements for after the big toy expo so we're getting HGUC Zeta II, RG Astraea + Astraea Type F, and MB Exia Avalanche.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 26, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought the deal with G-reco was that it was stated to be targeted at the children of people who were original fans of 0079, e.g. gundam's usual target audience age but with an extra layer of "gently caress your franchise expectations."

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
V Gundam was specifically targeted at younger audiences and we all know how that turned out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I made something during the Forums Cataclysm:

This hand of mine is burning red!

It cries out for the forums! Exia Cataclysm!

Welcome back, Gunpla thread!

Also, I never realized quite how tiny the Exia was before

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bimmi posted:

V Gundam was specifically targeted at younger audiences and we all know how that turned out.

v gundam was 'targeted' at 'young audiences'

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fauxtool posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

I'll give you IGLOO, that's for adult Japanese men, but all the rest of that is for kids. Gundam is a kid's franchise that can be enjoyed by adults. I guess the OVAs are aimed a little older, maybe middle schoolers or above, people who can rent videos for themselves, but I dunno. That's why I excluded them from my original question.

Also, no I've never tried to report anyone. I don't have Plat.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Quality control is a literal bastard sometimes.

Time to bust out the cement...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My HGUC Zssa arrived during the forum crash, and it's a gorgeous little kit. I'd post pictures, but my PC's decided it cant recognise my Galaxy S2's drivers since an update, so I'll have to argue with it later (:argh:).

The joints are all good and solid, and it's a freaking chunky bastard that needs a good deep surface to stand on if you mount the Booster, as it's got a long tail fin pointing off the back. My only complaint is that the arms have a tendency to pop off if you try to move them back-and-forth on the shoulder ball joint, because the big shoulder pieces press right against the body. The hips are also lacking polycap joints, but they're solid enough and the Zssa's really not a kit designed for big gymnastic poses anyway so it's not a big loss. The nipple missile launcher covers are partformers, incidentally. You just slide them out and clip the tab at the back into the side of the chest for them to sit in an "open" state.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My HGUC Zssa arrived during the forum crash, and it's a gorgeous little kit. I'd post pictures, but my PC's decided it cant recognise my Galaxy S2's drivers since an update, so I'll have to argue with it later (:argh:).

Grats on your new Zssa baby, Neddy. Hope to see some pictures of your new arrival in the near future.

Also, what do you guys think of this one:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jegan Ace posted:

Grats on your new Zssa baby, Neddy. Hope to see some pictures of your new arrival in the near future.

Also, what do you guys think of this one:

I'm going to love it, and pet it, and call it George. As for that Zeta, I'd wait and see how the Airmaster turns out first. From the looks of them, they're built off the same general kit framework design.

Oh, I also got my Gouf R35 too. It looks wonderful with my System Weapon shields, and they sit in the wrist-mounted sockets nice and tight :allears:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was kind of considering getting it but then HGUC Zeta II got announced so screw the Z-Plus.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone know why we are suddenly seeing things from Z-MSV showing up in the kit lines, other than "just because?" I mean, it's cool because I'll finally get the Gundam Mk.III I've wanted for awhile but it's still weird to see.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BlitzBlast posted:

I was kind of considering getting it but then HGUC Zeta II got announced so screw the Z-Plus.

Is it the goofy high-heeled Zeta II because if so then count me in

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Colon Semicolon posted:

Is it the goofy high-heeled Zeta II because if so then count me in

Yep.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Anyone know why we are suddenly seeing things from Z-MSV showing up in the kit lines, other than "just because?" I mean, it's cool because I'll finally get the Gundam Mk.III I've wanted for awhile but it's still weird to see.

Whatever is happening at Bandai these last few months I hope it never stops.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Well we had to see them sooner or later: Bandai is running out of UC mobile suits to turn into models, so they have to resort to the more obscure stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ugh, Jesus Christ, GG Infinite has the absolute worst markup I've ever seen on Japanese import plastic. I decided to take the plunge on the web exclusive MG Hi-Nu HWS parts, and they have about a 65% markup on it before shipping. That's some scummy poo poo right there.

• Locked thread