Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hand Row posted:

General consensus is the Bucks would take Parker over Wiggins so you don't even have to worry if that situation develops. As a Bucks fan I am hoping Cleveland takes Parker so the Bucks get Wiggins. Either way thank jesus the Bucks did not get the third or fourth pick this year.
:RealGM:
What about trading Mayo and the #2 for Thad Young, the #3, and the #32?

TY has an opt out after next season that he'll probably exercise so he's potentially cheaper than Mayo, who's locked in for the next 2 seasons and he's a lot better than Ilyasova who've they've wanted to dump for a while and most likely is gone in the next few months. Take Thanisis with the 32.

i.e. Exum, Thad Young, Thianis v Wiggins.
:RealGM:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have been in fever panic over the draft.

My dreams tell me 1. CLE Exum 2. MIL embiiid 3. Team X I don't know.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

With the forums down the last couple of days I've been talking myself into Marcus Smart or Aaron Gordon since it sounds like the Celtics will be selecting one of them, barring a slide of Embiid or Exum. With Smart especially it feels like the careless happy warm feeling you're supposed to feel right before you die of hypothermia.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've spent the last few days in Lakers places being bombarded with Smart to the point I passionately hate him now. Nobody ever says why either it's always "he's the perfect PG to play next to Kobe!!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Inside Outside posted:

With the forums down the last couple of days I've been talking myself into Marcus Smart or Aaron Gordon since it sounds like the Celtics will be selecting one of them, barring a slide of Embiid or Exum. With Smart especially it feels like the careless happy warm feeling you're supposed to feel right before you die of hypothermia.

There are 18-20 players I'd be fine with the Hornets taking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rick posted:

I've spent the last few days in Lakers places being bombarded with Smart to the point I passionately hate him now. Nobody ever says why either it's always "he's the perfect PG to play next to Kobe!!"

Its probably because he will be a decent PG and Laker's fans thinking Kobe is 8 years younger than he actually is and wasn't injured.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've been listening to a lot of Bill Simmons and it's loving with my mind like I'm in a camp in Laos and trying to take pictures.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Becuase he's bold and scored a lot of points that one time and punched some guy in a game :haw: Just ignore the fact that his efficiency is abysmal and he can't distribute.

At this point, with how much everyone is predicting Randle to the Lakers, I am going to be so disappointing when he goes before them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's only sort of a PG and takes a shitload of dumb shots, Kobe would hate him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

euphronius posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Bill Simmons and it's loving with my mind like I'm in a camp in Laos and trying to take pictures.

Bill Simmons is the guy who looks at Skip Bayless and says "Yes, that is what I need to do!".

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

You should hate him. Also, what I'd give to see him on the same team as MWP, but alas.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
So if Exum goes to the Cavs is Orlando really going to take Smart at 4?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently Randle and Smart are the Celtics two choices at #6

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Can someone explain to me who this Vonleh person is?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I refuse to believe the Cavs are taking anyone but Wiggins. If they take Parker or Exum (especially Exum) then just wow Cavs.

Embiid is also a possibility but they should be gunshy after the Bennett debacle. Can't completely whiff on 2 out of 3 #1 picks (if Embiid turns out to be another Oden/Walton/Bowie). Well, you can I guess, but it would be historically embarrassing.

I'm kind of sour on Exum. It's like if Dion Waiters' agent was representing Ricky Rubio or something.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Strawberry Panda posted:

Dude with solid height and ridiculously long arms with a good jumper is about what you need to know about him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Strawberry Panda posted:

An 18 year old 6'9 one and done PF with a 7'4 wingspan and supposed 3 point range. Didn't dominate in college but has done well in the workouts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why would Parker be a bad #1 pick? I'd probably go Wiggins but I could definitely see someone liking Parker more.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Lockback posted:

Why would Parker be a bad #1 pick? I'd probably go Wiggins but I could definitely see someone liking Parker more.

He's a 1 way player with a fatbody, plus he wants to play in Milwaukee.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He's scoped the beer and sausage scene, he's ready to cash in and fill out. He's heard good things about the nightlife and 24 hour eateries from OJ Mayo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Libertine posted:

He's scoped the beer and sausage scene, he's ready to cash in and fill out. He's heard good things about the nightlife and 24 hour eateries from OJ Mayo.

"Its like living in Chicago, but without any pressure to win"

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So my Wiggins dreams are probably dead unless:

- We overpay for the #1 pick (3/10/Thad). I know you guys think this is stupid but I think the dropoff between the first 2 guys in the draft and the rest of the field is steep as gently caress. I wouldn't complain about this.

- Cleveland takes Parker, and then the Bucks go Exum. Unlikely, but people say that MIL loves Exum and it fits a position of need.

- Cleveland takes Exum, MIL goes Parker. I know better; but I really can't see Cleveland loving this up again.

And that's pretty much it. Unless Orlando trades up and takes Exum at 1 which isn't going to happen. I guess I'll try to talk myself into liking Exum or convince myself that Embiid will be healthy.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

He's from Chicago so he would be close to his friends and family.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Ty1990 posted:

- We overpay for the #1 pick (3/10/Thad). I know you guys think this is stupid but I think the dropoff between the first 2 guys in the draft and the rest of the field is steep as gently caress. I wouldn't complain about this.

- Cleveland takes Parker, and then the Bucks go Exum. Unlikely, but people say that MIL loves Exum and it fits a position of need.

- Cleveland takes Exum, MIL goes Parker. I know better; but I really can't see Cleveland loving this up again.

And that's pretty much it. Unless Orlando trades up and takes Exum at 1 which isn't going to happen. I guess I'll try to talk myself into liking Exum or convince myself that Embiid will be healthy.

I really don't like taking Exum for the Sixers at all, considering we can easily get a pure 2 guard in Stauskus at 10.

If anything I guess Vonleh can work and we can run MCW, Stauskas, Young, Vonleh, Noel front court for now and that seems at least a bit exciting.

Either that or we make a move for the first pick

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm interested to see how good he'll be. I'm from University of Illinois so I got to see him play at Indiana quite a bit last year and he was quite underwhelming. Like he wasn't particularly bad, but if I didn't know he was a big time prospect I wouldn't have come to that conclusion from watching him play.

He's young and has some physical tools so I'm not saying I'm sure he's gonna be bad, but I'd be surprised to see him contributing to a pro team next year.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ty1990 posted:

I'm praying so this is hopeful, but:

1. Considering their skill-sets right now, why play Giannis at the 3 with Wiggins at the 2 with no PG to feed either one?

2. If you want to stick Wiggins at the 3 and play Giannis as a Durant-esque 4 for large parts of the game, does that seem reasonable in terms of having Sanders, Henson, Ilyasova, Pachulia already in the front-court in the immediate future.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gingerberger posted:

I'm interested to see how good he'll be. I'm from University of Illinois so I got to see him play at Indiana quite a bit last year and he was quite underwhelming. Like he wasn't particularly bad, but if I didn't know he was a big time prospect I wouldn't have come to that conclusion from watching him play.

He's young and has some physical tools so I'm not saying I'm sure he's gonna be bad, but I'd be surprised to see him contributing to a pro team next year.

They did not use him very much because their guards weren't that great but he was really good. He scored extremely efficiently when they gave it to him and he was the best rebounder in the conference. He's athletic, insanely long, and shows off good ball skills and a jumper albeit in limited attempts. I think he's the best PF and one of the 5 best players in the draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Wiggins is really raw on one end right now too. I like him better too but Parker would be a defensible pick.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Listening to Bill Simmons' podcast with Chad Ford just made me sit with the "Who farted?" face for about an hour. Ford made a couple of decnet points but Simmons never sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and he never does with drafts. He watches the NCAA tournament and makes a lot of dumb theories based on body language that he thinks he sees. That's literally all that he goes on. He didn't know anything about Vonleh, which made me laugh to myself. Of course you don't. He wasn't in the tournament. He then declares Vonleh the stinker of the top 10 because he couldn't will his team into the tournament or whatever. Ford thinks every prospect in the top 15 is a hall of fame player. As the list goes down to picks 5-10 he gives even more compliments to those guys than those in the top 5 somehow. Marcus Smart is going to become Gary Payton. Elfrid Payton is just a leader who will straighten the Sacramento Kings out. He said almost nothing about Elfrid's actual playing ability. That whole podcast was a mess. Bill Simmons is in love with Aaron Gordon and his reasons are baffling. I heard a) He tries really hard, b) he's a "gym rat", and c) "If you put him in the NBA Finals this past season then he could play with those guys." What in the gently caress does that even mean? Bill Simmons NBA Draft Mode is so annoying. I hate hearing it but at the same time I love it as well because it infuriates me and I secretly love to get mad over everything I guess.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the prospect of Orlando taking a huge project of a center in the first place and I'm even less thrilled now that he has potential perpetual injury woes in front of him. Vucevic is a really nice underrated player. Just extend him and move on. Stop trying to out-think yourself. I trust Hennigan will make the right move but these Embiid and Marcus Smart rumors are going to kill me.

I spent the forums downtime watching videos of Kyle Anderson and falling in love with that guy.

edit: Is this a thing?
https://twitter.com/BucketsNBA/status/482028481639743488/photo/1

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 26, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Rose/Simmons one had me rolling. I'm no draft expert either but Rose was picking guys in top three that I've seen projected in the 20s and then he had to reset in the middle because he forgot Aaron Gordon existed.

E: I think the Lakers would take Embiid if he was available but who knows how real that is.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 26, 2014

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I kind of don't like Vonleh either but that's just because he has no personality in all the interviews I saw, think he'll be pretty solid though

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Just watched the dumb fluff interviews and Parker says he works on his game 8-10 hours a week.

I hope he doesn't know how long a week is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've been really interested in the Consensus Mock Draft on NBA.com just for how quirky it is. For instance, even though nobody has Smart below 8 (with a lot of mocks starting to have him pop as high as 4), he is undrafted by consensus since there is no consensus as to where he'll end up drafted.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Could be, one of his next tweets was "Friend playing with phone".

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Embiid has friends who get high and gently caress around on his phone, massive red flag

E;FB

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread already but:

@chadfordinsider: Sources: Cavs were calling around offering teams Orlando's picks at 4 & 12 for players last night. Interesting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Best draft in years and CLE is desperately trying to get out of it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone have thoughts about Damien Inglis? After watching a few videos, he's who I'd like Detroit to draft, even if he is yet another dude who can't shoot.

BIZORT posted:

Listening to Bill Simmons' podcast with Chad Ford just made me sit with the "Who farted?" face for about an hour. Ford made a couple of decnet points but Simmons never sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and he never does with drafts. He watches the NCAA tournament and makes a lot of dumb theories based on body language that he thinks he sees. That's literally all that he goes on. He didn't know anything about Vonleh, which made me laugh to myself. Of course you don't. He wasn't in the tournament. He then declares Vonleh the stinker of the top 10 because he couldn't will his team into the tournament or whatever. Ford thinks every prospect in the top 15 is a hall of fame player. As the list goes down to picks 5-10 he gives even more compliments to those guys than those in the top 5 somehow. Marcus Smart is going to become Gary Payton. Elfrid Payton is just a leader who will straighten the Sacramento Kings out. He said almost nothing about Elfrid's actual playing ability. That whole podcast was a mess. Bill Simmons is in love with Aaron Gordon and his reasons are baffling. I heard a) He tries really hard, b) he's a "gym rat", and c) "If you put him in the NBA Finals this past season then he could play with those guys." What in the gently caress does that even mean? Bill Simmons NBA Draft Mode is so annoying. I hate hearing it but at the same time I love it as well because it infuriates me and I secretly love to get mad over everything I guess.

The worst thing about Simmons on The Draft is his assertion that agents only want their clients to go to, A. The Lakers, because they're the Lakers, and B.Boston, because... a historical legacy of racism... to learn under the wing of Kelly Olynyk?? He never quite gives a reason. It's the same way that the Obvious destination for every superstar becomes Boston.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

euphronius posted:

Best draft in years and CLE is desperately trying to get out of it.

Nah that doesn't sound like Competently Run Franchise The Cleveland Cavaliers (in their defense, the perception of how good this draft is lets them deal those picks or actual players, and they're still convinced they're in Win Now mode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What I can't figure out is if Chad Ford was saying that Embiid has some sort of hepatitis, some type of anemia, and a bone density problem, or was only saying that it's relatively common for prospects from Africa to have all of those issues, without them necessarily affecting performance.
It's very curioso.

• Locked thread