Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

:siren:The Game is on! Please do not post spoilers in other threads than this one:siren:

German Thread
Soviet Thread

Russia, Summer 1944. A great offensive - Operation Bagration - has gone into action, and Russian forces are advancing against fierce German resistance. Millions of men are fighting across hundreds of miles of front.

Now, in a small corner of Bellorussia or Eastern Poland (because who is keeping track at times like these) two forces are clashing, while only a few hundred men amougnst millions, thieir fight is no less important in the grand scheme of things. in fact, the men fighting on the ground should, in some way, be pitied.

For their commanders are a bunch of Goons.

Welcome to my Combat Mission : Red Thunder  take command thread, which will hand the command of units at a single tank/platoon scale to the hands of you ugly lot, you will give your unit an order, and I will put that order into the game.
The catch? Both sides in this game will have goon commanders, and each side will have its own thread and videos, meaning this will be a head to head battle!

What is Combat Mission: Red Thunder?

CM:RT is a turn based game with realtime turns - you play as either Russia or Germany in 1944. (other games cover D-Day, Market Garden and Italy, as well as a fictional 2012 war in Syria which is haunting the devs.)
Turns are WEGO - both sides plots their orders, then is forced to sit back and watch as sixty seconds of chaos play out where you can’t change a thing. The game is super grognardy - it measures rate of fire, weapon penetration, armour slope and thickness, and tropp quality and morale.

It does have its faults however, the UI hasn’t changed much in ten years, orders can take a long time to plan and graphically its a little old compared to modern games - although RT has added hit decals so you can now see how many times your T-34’s gun has bounced off the front of that Tiger.

So, How will this work

First, we will pick a battle type - the options are as follows:

quote:

German/Russian Assault - One side will be on the defensive, the other will be given the task of taking ground. The attacker will have nearly twice the points of the defender, and some recon of the ground before the attack. The Defender can purchase fortifications. More points are awarded for holding objectives.

German/Russian Attack – The attacker here has more points than the defender, and must take some ground. The Defender can purchase fortifications. More points are awarded for holding objectives.

Meeting Engagement - Both sides start at opposite sides of the map. They then have to engage the enemy and take a central victory point location. Points are awarded for kills with objectives being worth less.

Probe – a light attack, somewhere between a meeting engagement and an attack.

At the same time, people who are interested in having a unit will declare their side.  There will be four ranks

Force Commander - Will be in charge of picking the forces for the side, and for giving orders to company commanders and overall strategy.

Company Commander - In charge of giving orders to the platoon commander.

Platoon commander - is in charge of three or so squads of infantry.

Tank/Support unit - A single tank or a selection of support squads - exactly how this will work will be decided between me and the commander.

Once chosen, we will deploy for battle on a map of my choosing, and then orders will be given.

A very strategic deployment.

The plan is that each level of command should not be micromanaging the one below - so here is an example of a bad order chain.

quote:

CO - Right, I want 1st Squad here, 2nd here. We will attack the hill up these lines with artillery support… Tanks, I want you to pause for thirteen seconds…….

Yeah, thats going to be no fun for the lower commanders, and does away with the point of having each level with a separate commander. Here is a good order chain Example.

quote:

CO - “1st Company, take that hill, 2nd company provide support, tanks provide overwatch”
1st Company CO - “Right 1st platoon move left, 2nd set up for covering fire, 3rd prob the right.”
1st Platoon - “Move Squad 1 here, 2 here, 3 here.

See everyone is useful!
To get over the initial moving to contact part of the game, the first phase will be a five turns - i.e, you will need to supply enough orders for five minutes of game. After that I’ll decide if we need another 3/4/5 minute turn or if we should switch to 1 min turns - if there is no contact in the first 5 min turn, I’ll most likely ask for another 5 mins, then stop if contact is made before then.

What kind of units can we buy?

Red Thunder has most of the famous tanks and support units, as well as a good selection of units - so pretty much anything that saw action in 1944 could be on the field.

How will we give orders?

I will make a large 2000 pixel version of the map, with units marked as follows.

1/1/1 means 1st squad, 1st platoon, 1st company. The red border will allow groups to be quickly distinguished. This will show where your units are. I’ll also provide a top down view from the current turn, which will show exactly where the units are and the enemy.

Orders should be given my marking the route/destination for your unit(s) on a copy of the map, making it as clear as possible what you want your guys to do and where.

You screwed my order up!

You mean you didn't want a whole company to charge forwards en-mass? Oh, sorry, those were the Russian orders!

Maybe, maybe not - Combat Mission Pixeltuppen have their own AI, so may take different routes to a target than you would expect, or flat out refuse to charge that german MG position across 300 meters of open terrain.
If I have misunderstood your order, then you obviously didn’t make it clear enough! I will say so and then ignore any calls to replay the turn because your entire platoon now lies dead in a Russian swamp.

What is the LOS on my guy?

I will only be supplying LOS in specific situations, otherwise I’ll be supplying 100 screenshots per turn.

Grey, what if I am a complete child, and I get annoyed with your misspelling of the thread title for the Germans. This causes me to throw my toys from my pram and post the complete German OOB in the Allied thread, forcing them to change from a balanced force of MKIV’s and other support units to a much more gimmicky force of Tigers and Panthers?”

Then you will become the second person on my block list.

There were some problems with the last time you did this, how will you address these?

1) The main problem last time was some people got bored in the “move to contact phase and wandered off. the 5 min start should deal with that problem.
2) The large annotated map should solve the “where are my units” problem, and should just be a matter of me moving bits around in photoshop, once things get going.
3) I’ve manned up to my own voice, so while the last videos had no commentary, this time I will be providing (hopefully unbiased) vocal support in the videos.
I’m also a lot more confident with my video editing software, so I will be doing fixed point main runs with cuts to closer views of the action.

What timescale are you looking at for this

I plan to do a Advance Tactics Gold LP at the same time, and of course I have Roleplaying games two nights a week. the videos themselves will take some time to put together and render - longer for the first few turns of course, and it should be quicker once we are in the 1 min per turn with a few zooms.
Given you lot time for orders, and for me to do my side, we are looking at around two turns a week I think. So please don’t sign up unless you can commit to a good few months - we can sub for a week or so if you are going on holiday, but if you're going on a six month holiday in three weeks, please don’t take a spot someone else can commit to.

I’m in, now what?

I’ve created a spreadsheet Here

There are columns for if you are interested in a command, and a separate tab for the battle options. To register/vote, please put your username in the correct column. (Please don’t vandalize this to much)
As some of the battle options are independent, you are allowed to put a vote in each relevant column.  in this case, I’ll take the winner from each column, and try and find a map that matches these requirements as best I can.
Commanders will be voted for amongst those who are interested. The game will play differently for the different layers of command, as the CO's will only have their own people to move.

Let the terrible decisions begin!

“Hold me, Hans.”
“Its okay, it will all be over soon Fritz. The command to charge just came in,”

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Looks exciting! I've been meaning to get the Combat Mission games at some point, since they look pretty interesting, and it'll be neat to see how they play out.

Also, signed up as a Platoon Commander, gonna get so many goons slaughtered for the glory of Mother Russia :ussr:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Grey, I am sorry but I am sitting this one out. My incompetent and psychopathic command will provide no laughs.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Put me in command of either overall or high command of an attacking force because I know what I am doing and I create drama which is good for the thread.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Signed up for a Soviet Company command and voted

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

In as soviet tank, meeting engagement, the middle buildings one (in case of vandalism)

dtkozl posted:

Put me in command of either overall or high command of an attacking force because I know what I am doing and I create drama which is good for the thread.

This is my vote for overall command, even if German. dtkozl really does know their stuff but iirc isn't an arse about it.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 26, 2014

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Let me drive tanks Grey, it's in my blood.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Pre-emptively sorry for the German 1st Company.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In as German support unit. I wonder what options I have :allears:

I'm curious, what do you count as support units (Or what does the game consider support units)? Are tank destroyers support or just regular tanks?

And do you have any experience with the Theater of War series? How does it compare with Combat Mission?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 26, 2014

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
In as German support unit, meeting engagement. Everyone please remember to bring tow transport for their artillery.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Missed out on the last two Combat Mission LPs, so I'm glad to see you starting another one. Signed up as a soviet tank. Za Rodinu!

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Signed up to command a German tank, hopefully I'll be commanded by dtkozl again and slay many virtual russians.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In as German support unit. I wonder what options I have :allears:

I'm curious, what do you count as support units (Or what does the game consider support units)? Are tank destroyers support or just regular tanks?

And do you have any experience with the Theater of War series? How does it compare with Combat Mission?

I'm classing support as unattached Machine guns, Flamethrowers, AT guns - basically smaller units

Tank Destroyers are close enough to tanks to be in that category. depending on how many people are interested and what positions we have once the forces are picked, we can move people around.

We may end up with one a few tanks and 10 tank commanders, but huge numbers of infantry being needed. also, the mobile flak-wagons the Germans use are an odd case.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've put my name down for a Russian platoon, but I'll go for any infantry command that is open. I take it company command would be a bad idea for someone who has never played the game and lives in a completely different time zone to everybody else? :downs:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm classing support as unattached Machine guns, Flamethrowers, AT guns - basically smaller units

Tank Destroyers are close enough to tanks to be in that category. depending on how many people are interested and what positions we have once the forces are picked, we can move people around.

We may end up with one a few tanks and 10 tank commanders, but huge numbers of infantry being needed. also, the mobile flak-wagons the Germans use are an odd case.

Gotcha, I'll gladly take up an AT gun until/unless a Wirbelwind ever becomes available. That or some random form of an SDKFZ half-track, god knows the Germans had a million different variants.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I had great fun last time crashing my "guaranteed to be a Tiger" German halftrack into a ditch, let's see if I'm better at piloting a T-34 :downs:

Picked Soviets because I played Germans last time but no real preference, switch me to the other side if the numbers are too imbalanced.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I promise to make ze vaterland proud with gross incompetence and unwavering confidence! I shall make my impact as a German company commander!

These type of hyper-realistic sperg simulators interest me but I can never get past the terrible UI so I'm super excited for this lp.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
In as a Soviet infantry officer. I am stoked! We who are about to die salute you.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Oh, hey, another one of these. Put me in, Grey! I'm gonna be a Soviet support guy, and I propose a meeting engagement for fairness' sake.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

I had great fun last time crashing my "guaranteed to be a Tiger" German halftrack into a ditch, let's see if I'm better at piloting a T-34 :downs:

Picked Soviets because I played Germans last time but no real preference, switch me to the other side if the numbers are too imbalanced.

Hi there, halftrack buddy!

I even don't mind giving up a T-34 for a jeep with a fat machine gun on the back.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 26, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Last time I was in on a match my boys bagged a Sherman and a bunch of kills, then our arty we fired off sort of randomly killed a whole bunch of Allied infantry and we called the match. Good times.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
German infantry commander please. :)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Put me down for the glorious Soviet meatgrinder. Meeting engagement seems the fairest option.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

German infantry commander please. :)

Just a heads up everyone who wants to sign up or vote, there's a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1osLfdVOv9yIFhlN9BglH0PTl8SU03WFNIBfpbNJX22s/edit#gid=0

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Signed up as a Russian Company CO. More meatshields to throw at the enemy room for error, right?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Hell yes! Gonna get some felgraus killed in a horrible manner as a German company commander (or a platoon leader).

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 26, 2014

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
I had a lot of fun reading the last CM thread; hoping to participate this time. Signed up for german platoon, but I'm willing to play as either side, depending how the sign-up turns out.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah, I'll play either side.

And the orders thing is fun too. The reason we have screenshot orders, if anyone is wondering, is because a few years (!) back, we had the debacle that was Combat Mission : Normandy - East is %#@! EAST

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
This seems awesome. In as German support in the hopes of :flame:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

Hi there, halftrack buddy!

I even don't mind giving up a T-34 for a jeep with a fat machine gun on the back.

Why settle for a machine gun when you could have...

THIS!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Signed up and voted. Hoping for a machine gun squad to harmlessly run around the battlefield mow down the Soviet charge!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ForeverBWFC posted:

Signed up and voted. Hoping for a machine gun squad to harmlessly run around the battlefield mow down the Soviet charge!
Are non-tank vehicles support or tanks?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Signed up as a Russian Company CO. More meatshields to throw at the enemy room for error, right?

Signing up to be under the command of Herp. Low ranking, no command responsibilities please.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
As a real American, I'm going to spectate the bloody conflict before making an appearance late in the game.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Fangz posted:

Signing up to be under the command of Herp. Low ranking, no command responsibilities please.

:siren:

the JJ posted:

Just a heads up everyone who wants to sign up or vote, there's a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1osLfdVOv9yIFhlN9BglH0PTl8SU03WFNIBfpbNJX22s/edit#gid=0
:siren:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

sniper4625 posted:

As a real American, I'm going to spectate the bloody conflict before making an appearance late in the game.

Nonsense, this battle wouldn't be possible without your trucks. So get in one! :getin:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

Daw, Fangz, I knew I could count on you for a vote of confidence. Its okay, my flank won't collapse immediately. :downs:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I've always wanted to get in on one of these, and my only question before signing up is is stuff like CAS via IL2 or some reasonable facsimile in? I'd be all over that if so. If not, then probably a tank. Before deciding, though: what kind of units are in the "support" category?

vv I was apparently so caught up in excitement that I forgot how to read, thanks. :saddowns: vv

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Here is your answer regarding support.

• Locked thread