Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
How the hell do you keep everything together when Oil hits the field; it's bad enough organising a rapidly becoming gargantuan main bus but whe oil hits the field and plays by its own rules everything goes to poo poo.

I'm thinking I need to look into more modular building that eats raw materials and poops out finished product rather than going through sequential processing stages. The latter is more efficient if I can build it right but good luck :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
What annoys me most about pipes is how they connect when adjacent. If you have multiple pipelines running in parallel, you need an empty space between the pipes. The only way to avoid that is by using underground pipes will only join up other pipes in one direction under your control. There's a mod which fixes this: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4135

Similarly, you can forego pipes mostly and use barrels for crude oil instead. It's mostly used to get oil onto a train. With a mod you can also do this with other liquids: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2797 . The disadvantage here is that you need a belt back to wherever the barrels were filled.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stick Insect posted:

What annoys me most about pipes is how they connect when adjacent. If you have multiple pipelines running in parallel, you need an empty space between the pipes. The only way to avoid that is by using underground pipes will only join up other pipes in one direction under your control. There's a mod which fixes this: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4135

Yeah that is super annoying. My initial plans for my oil refinery were screwed because of that.

Stick Insect posted:

Similarly, you can forego pipes mostly and use barrels for crude oil instead. It's mostly used to get oil onto a train. With a mod you can also do this with other liquids: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2797 . The disadvantage here is that you need a belt back to wherever the barrels were filled.

Oil itself isn't a huge problem its all the byproducts and side products and everything you can turn it into and some of those things are liquid and some of them are solid and some need to be combined with other things to make new things and :suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oil's biggest problem is that it's complexity isn't granular. There's essentially two stages, regular refining, and advanced, which adds water, and a few end products. However, unlike every other product in the game, which builds off a prior product or three, oil needs the majority of its infrastructure stood up all at once to function, since you can't, for example, only make heavy oil and turn it into lubricant. The light oil and petroleum will fill the output of the refinery, and the plant will shut down. Standing up the entire oil chain at the same time is a bit of a stumbling point when you first get there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Not being able to walk through pipes is also a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Oil's biggest problem is that it's complexity isn't granular. There's essentially two stages, regular refining, and advanced, which adds water, and a few end products. However, unlike every other product in the game, which builds off a prior product or three, oil needs the majority of its infrastructure stood up all at once to function, since you can't, for example, only make heavy oil and turn it into lubricant. The light oil and petroleum will fill the output of the refinery, and the plant will shut down. Standing up the entire oil chain at the same time is a bit of a stumbling point when you first get there.

Solve this problem via buffer zones consiting of lots and lots of tanks. Using the output directly from the refinery to actually make products is - as you said, problematic. Because if one things starts to hold because it stacks back, everything dies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Michaellaneous posted:

Solve this problem via buffer zones consiting of lots and lots of tanks. Using the output directly from the refinery to actually make products is - as you said, problematic. Because if one things starts to hold because it stacks back, everything dies.

Worth noting that it is for similar reasons that oil and its liquid products are put in big tanks before being sent anywhere; in real life the refinery doesn't magically turn off when it runs out of room for more oil and instead it just explodes.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

MrYenko posted:

..., oil needs the majority of its infrastructure stood up all at once to function, since you can't, for example, only make heavy oil and turn it into lubricant...

We need a flare stack device that just burns off what you don't need. Only make petroleum, directly convert the other oils into pollution.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Stick Insect posted:

We need a flare stack device that just burns off what you don't need. Only make petroleum, directly convert the other oils into pollution.

Nooooooo :ohdear:
Maybe I'm just always starved for petrol, but the thought of losing oil at all just kills me. Crack it, or store it until you can crack it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Stick Insect posted:

This game is in desperate need of a "gently caress the World option" maybe a pipe that drains from a tank that covers an entire field in heavy oil and then ignition of that field. 5 pollution per tile ignited/cycle but a can guarantee you that biters will not like it

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

This game is in desperate need of a "gently caress the World option" maybe a pipe that drains from a tank that covers an entire field in heavy oil and then ignition of that field. 5 pollution per tile ignited/cycle but a can guarantee you that biters will not like it

Then you can surround your factories with moats of flaming oil.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I would really like some sort of light nuclear option for those really massive nests. Which could also lead to nuclear power and all the stuff that brings.

Mainly I want to see my sprawling factory surrounded by plains of irradiated black glass :ohdear:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Count me in for wanting nuclear tech. I'd like to see an ore that isn't useful at all early game, but once you get into 20th century tech you can start refining it, add "aluminum tubes" and "yellowcake" to your resource bus. We need a more dangerous alternative to fields of batteries and solar panels to provide power in the mid and lategame. Iron Man's chest reactor is already in the game, we should get the ability to make a big one too. Obviously we need a way to spend 1000 plutonium or palladium or whatever to make a nuke that effectively does the same thing as a stack of poison capsules but with only one use.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Noooo the bus is big and unwieldly as-is don't make it bigger don't do it :cry:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Everybody post a picture of your bus. This is most of my main line a couple of hours before I beat the game. Lesson learned from this experience: Only copper wire and circuits really need that expandable modular double production line, everything else can get by with a single line of five at most.

If anybody has sulfur, plastic, explosives, or CPU production lines that are pretty as well as productive, I'd like to see them. I'm not really proud of mine.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 23, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Using stolen adapted circuit board factory plans, this is my dedicated module factory:

Built with a large iron deposit to the north, copper to the south, and oil to the east.

Everything runs at full speed (currently making Production3's) after carefully tuning modules... or it would, but even just making plastic/acid I'm starved for petroleum. That's with 8 pumpjacks, all with speed3s, with two beacons with speed3s, and all refineries/crackers running production3s. All oil is spent and cracked the instant it shows up. I'm kinda mad since there's basically no oil on this map at all, and I'm 20 hours in.

Originally I was going to have the train move just chips to the main base, but with the local oil I figured I'd save a step. Now the train just brings in coal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wouldn't it make more sense to put Productivity modules in your oil stuff so you end up producing more of it?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Productivity in the refineries, speed in the pumpjacks. There's a case for productivity before the jack goes dry (0.1/sec) but after that only speed helps. And if you do it before, it's another step to replace them later.

Oil pumpjacks don't consume any resources except their own life clock, so productivity isn't useful after that clock 'expires'.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Evilreaver posted:

Productivity in the refineries, speed in the pumpjacks. There's a case for productivity before the jack goes dry (0.1/sec) but after that only speed helps. And if you do it before, it's another step to replace them later.

Oil pumpjacks don't consume any resources except their own life clock, so productivity isn't useful after that clock 'expires'.

And beacons literally nowhere, because they seem to be pretty terrible.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Never even used beacons, what are they and what do they do?

Also, mechanics question. When merging two belts, is it faster to simply merge them by running them into each other, or by using a splitter?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Phobophilia posted:

Never even used beacons, what are they and what do they do?

Also, mechanics question. When merging two belts, is it faster to simply merge them by running them into each other, or by using a splitter?

I think if the two belts are both transporting the same item, a splitter would be better. If they're two different items you probably want some trickery to keep them on separate sides of the same belt.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

boo_radley posted:

And beacons literally nowhere, because they seem to be pretty terrible.

:eng101: Beacons can be used to squeeze a few more speed modules onto your pumpjacks if you are completely starved for oil, like I am most games. I can see literally no other use for them other than bandaids for bad design.

Beacons 101:
Beacons have 2 slots for modules, and add those module benefits to whatever is in range (3 spaces) at half effect. Two Speed3's (Net +100%) will add 50% speed to all constructions around them. Beacons can improve things that can't usually equip modules, which you might think would be useful, but it's generally not. For example, you could use it to boost the speed of laser turrets, or you could just add a bunch more lasers for dramatically cheaper.

Beacons have a base energy cost that cannot be modified.
  • Speed modules are the obvious winners here, since if you're using them then you probably don't care about energy. Your energy bill goes up a ton for just a little more speed. Pumpjacks produce an unlimited resource dictated only by speed, so here is the best use of them.
  • Effectivity modules have a really hard time breaking even since beacons have a high base cost. If one of your turret hardpoints gets hit absolutely constantly and you're powering 20+ lasers, you might break even, but even then just go kill that nest. If you can somehow manage to squeeze a beacon next to 3+ Assemblers loaded with Production or Speed, you might see a small energy savings- but then again, if you're loading up those modules, chances are you're squeezed for space.
  • You can't even put Production modules in a beacon.

I'm not 100% positive of the list of things Beacons work on. If they work on Inserters, maybe there's a train station loadout that could work using Speed- but again, beacons are huge with a short range so good luck making a design better than "just add more inserters somewhere".

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Yaaay forums are finally back! I've out-nerded all you nerds over the weekend and I've been wanting to post this since - I made a :spergin: calculator!

quote:

The calculator runs entirely in your browser and can be found here:

http://rubyruy.github.io/factorio-calc

Please note that this is the very very first release and it's still very rough around the edges.

Through the magic of lua.vm.js, it uses the actual lua game files for its data so it's never wrong at least as far as the raw numbers go.

What it does is you punch in the thing you want to produce, and at what rate (in items per second). E.g. I want to build an assembly line for science-pack-2s at a rate of 2 i/s (i.e. one science pack 2 every 0.5 seconds).

The calculator will then tell you how many level 3 assemblers you need to reach that production goal. It will also estimate how many assemblers you can stick on the same (blue/level 3) conveyor belt before the belt can't take the output away fast enough for the farthest-down inserter to be able to put anything down (we've all run into this with copper cables and such, I'm sure). This assumes no possibility of back-up down the line though - i.e. no corner slowdowns or merging contentions - so consider the numbers given an optimistic estimate. Corners will reduce the amount by ~30% FYI. Also if you are near capacity the last few inserters will still have trouble putting down outputs at full speed, so for maximum efficiency you definitely want shorter lines than the numbers given. Anyway, so based on that theoretical output throughput capacity, you are also given the estimated number of parallel assembly lines you'll need to meet your production goals.

In addition to the above, each input for your requested production goal is calculated as well (recursively all the way to primary inputs - i.e. ore) with the same info given (items/s, assemblers, max-throughput etc). In theory this should allow for factories where you don't have, e.g. green CPUs sucking out all the copper leaving the rest of your factory starved - you could have multiple ore distribution/unloading points for different production lines. It should also make for very material-efficient factories as you'll few if any idle equipment this way. At least in theory - I've yet to actually put any of this to use.

Also a note on "primary" inputs:
The figures for copper/iron plates assume electric or steel smelters (double smelting speed) - double the required assemblers for stone furnaces (and their coal input is obviously not taken into account either).
Refinery products (petroleum-gas etc) are treated as a primary input. I think this is fine. Liquid networks distribute their content (more or less) evenly anyway and it's very difficult to actually fill a pipe to capacity with oil being as scarce as it is. So there isn't really any reason to have separate gas networks for each production line.

Known Issues / Future Additions:
(roughly in order of priority)
  • Fix the i/s input so it accepts decimal numbers. Allow entry in terms of seconds / item as well. - done
  • The listing is finicky and awful - I'm going to convert it to a straight-forward table.
  • Add data for 0.10.1
  • Add instructions for submitting your own data source (this should work just fine with mods as well btw as long as they keep the recipe data in similar-looking lua tables). - done
  • Plug in proper auto-complete for the recipes finder (currently it uses HTML5's new datalist element - which doesn't work at all in Safari and older browsers, and can only match the beginning of strings).
  • Allow customizing some global parameters: using level 1 or 2 assemblers, conveyor belts and smelters, account for corner-slowdowns.
  • Allow customizing above parameters on a per-item basis

The code is open and available on github, feedback and patches are of course welcome. This was my excuse to play around with React.js so if you notice I'm using it in a dumb way, I'd be much obliged if you pointed it out to me!

I'm ready to accept my nerd-crown for being king of nerds now, TIA nerds.

But do they stack on top of just inserting speed modules in the pumps themselves?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Wynand posted:

But do they stack on top of just inserting speed modules in the pumps themselves?

They sure do, and they stack with each other up to a limit. When you hover over a building, it'll say 'Effects count' or something- 2 from the building, 1 from each beacon, I thing it caps at 6- so you could get (100% natural + 100% internal +50%+50%+50%+50%+50%) 450% total speed.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Calculator

Just needs a 'totals' bit. How many circuit board factories do I need to make Speed3's? Am I supposed to add all those numbers together like some sorta 4th grader? Pfft!

E: and a "per minute" setting.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 26, 2014

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Network Pesci posted:

Everybody post a picture of your bus.

I've been playing around with a more compact alternative to a bus: 2-4 central belts that put all the essential materials in reach of all the assemblers.

Almost everything can be produced with access to iron, copper, plastic, and batteries.

A row of factories between those main resources can produce intermediate components on short transport belts and store final products in passive provider chests. (Products that don't require oil can be built on a second row that can only reach the iron, copper, and circuits.)

This is a very low-tech solution. The only technology it requires is Automation 1 for long-handled inserters. Since it mostly uses belts instead of chests (to minimize vertical space usage), it does not benefit from inserter stack size bonus.

it allows you to express constraints like "first make x factories worth of science, then fill one wood chest full of weapons, then spend extra resources on solar panels" without depending on smart inserters or logistic drones. Since all products are flowing the same direction, the density of the input belts shows you exactly where resource contention is occurring.

But without splitters or drones there is no good way to express constraints like "spend an equal amount of iron on these two products."

Placing Advanced Circuits and Batteries on the central line allows for a more flexible layout. Both sides of the iron/copper/battery/adv circuit line are fully useful, and there is plenty of room for circuits and steel and intermediate items on the sides.

It's possible to work with a 3-wide central belt, but all the underground sections are a hassle to set up, and bandwidth gets pretty limited.

Placing assemblers only one tile away from the closest belt allows fast inserters to be used on one side. An extra space between every two assemblers makes it easier to deal with pipes and take advantage of inserter bonuses.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can somebody please write me a very very basic tutorial on robots? The wiki is poo poo.

I've just researched them, have started building some components, and I'm wondering how best to use them. Should I rip up most of my factory's belts and do things with bots? What things should I leave as belts?

I'm 5 hours in and I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I should start again (for about the 5th time) or just plough through. I think I could do things better but I'm desperate to not keep restarting

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

thehustler posted:

Can somebody please write me a very very basic tutorial on robots? The wiki is poo poo.

Build and place a Roboport and put some Logistic Robots in it. When you mouse over it, it shows a large construction area and a small delivery area. Suppose you have an engine unit assembler nowhere near any liquids, and an electric engine assembler over by your lube, and you need to get those plain engines across the distance.

Place a passive provider chest by the engine unit assembler and an inserter to load engines into the chest. Now they are in the logistics system. Now place a requester chest by the electric engine unit assembler and an inserter to feed it into the assembler. Open the chest and set its logistic request to 5 engine units. The logistic robots will deliver them.

When you mouse over the requester/provider chests, it shows a count of all items in the logistic network within delivery range. You can use those counts to give a smart inserter a rule like "only unload the solar panel assembler into the provider chest if there are less than 50 solar panels in the system."

Construction robots are nice, too. You can make blueprints to copy-paste entire sections of your base, and construction robots will build it with materials in the logistic network. With the red destruction tool you can tell construction robots to take structures down and place them in storage, which is much faster than cutting down forests and walls by hand. If you put some repair packs into the Roboport, the construction robots will use them to repair damage in their range.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 26, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Robots need powered roboports to operate from. A roboport lays out a 40x40 grid in which logibots can operate, and a 60x60 grid where construction bots can operate. However, the "inner grid" of multiple roboports have to be touching in order for robots to move within them. By placing these roboports, you've basically designated an area of the world map as part of a "logistics network" in which Logibots and CBots can operate.

Robots

Construction robots can construct, deconstruct, and repair objects. With a deconstruction blueprint, you can drag out a big red box, and CBots will fly around picking them up off the ground. And it's instant, there's zero mining time when deconstruction occurs.

With a construction blueprint, they can plant objections on the ground. This lets you set up big tesselating mining, furnace, and assembler complexes, or walls, or turret pillboxes, or solar panels/accumulators. Once you start blueprinting, you'll fall in love with them.

Logistics bots can move items from one place to another. So they can act as a low throughput alternative to belts. They can also move objects from the logistics network directly into your inventory, saving you from having to manually run up to your assembler complexes and manually pick them up.

But where do robots pick things up from, and where do they move?

There are four kinds of chests.

Passive provider chests. Treat these chests as "outputs" from your factory. Say you have an assembler making mining drills. An inserter can place mining drills into a passive provider chest, and cbots can grab mining drills from your passive provider chest and place them on the ground. Or, you could have an assembler make advanced circuits, and logibots can move them to the correct locations for you.

But where do they move items?

Requester chests. Where passive provider chests are "outputs" to your factories, requesters are "inputs". Say you have an assembler that wants to build distractor capsules. You therefore want to input advanced circuits into them. You could belt the advanced circuits all the way to the assembler... or you could place a requester chest, and have it constantly request 5 advcircuits, and have an inserter move them into the assembler. Logibots will run around picking up advcircuit from your advcircuit assemblers, and try to maintain a stack of 5 advcircuits in the chest (which will constantly tick downwards as you build more distractors). Or you could use a requester chest to move robots from your robot factory straight into your roboport. And so on.

What about everything else?

Storage chests. These are two-way chests, and can both receive and provide. You can't specifically request any items get placed in the chest. Nor should you plant them in the output of a factory, as they'll get filled with random junk. But for everything else, they go into storage chests. When your cbots tear down a forest or a section of rail, it goes into storage chests. When I have a 3 stack of train signals, I can dump them there, and I can request them out of storage at any time. They'll even take things from...

Active provider chests. These are the least commonly used chests. As soon as an item goes into them, a logibot will run up to them and pull them out, and place them into a storage chest. They might be good for train stations, so they're immediately cleared out for the next cartload of items to come in.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

This is amazing. Thank you.

It seems like for carting raw materials around such as ore, or for carting basic components around, belts are still king.

But once you get into the nitty gritty of making final products, and getting everything together into an assembler to make them, the log bots are much nicer because you don't need a complicated nest of belts.

So I think I should be getting my belts reordered so that I make things and get them put into chests ready to be requested from higher level factories.

PS: Not sure about storage chests and what they are for. When/how do things get put in there if I don't specifically have to ask for it? Is it just items from Active provider chests that go in here so that they become part of the logistic network?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Storage chests get their contents from active provider chests, deconstruction, or direct insertion.

I use passive provider chests for intermediate products, but active provider chests for end products.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That and de-constructed items. Storage chests are basically the 'Misc' option when a robot has to put something somewhere. If it's not being requested - Storage Chest.

Right now, I'm pondering how feasible satellite-bases are outside of peaceful mode. Lay tracks and power poles from the main base to a good alternate starting location, carry a huge pile of belts etc. and don't worry about research, power or anything other than Advance Circuits. Then carry them back by the trainful.

Maybe it'll be more effective in multiplayer, have players merging their factories.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I like active providing and a centralized storage area next to a roboport. Means less time to resupply me when I return from expeditions or when manually crafting large batches of stuff. Just stand next to the storage area and resupply is near instant.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I guess active providers and a big central supply depot could be useful if you have smart inserters putting into active providers only if an item is below a certain threshold.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Phobophilia posted:

I guess active providers and a big central supply depot could be useful if you have smart inserters putting into active providers only if an item is below a certain threshold.

This is what I've been doing

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Evilreaver posted:

They sure do, and they stack with each other up to a limit. When you hover over a building, it'll say 'Effects count' or something- 2 from the building, 1 from each beacon, I thing it caps at 6- so you could get (100% natural + 100% internal +50%+50%+50%+50%+50%) 450% total speed.
Well that is certainly a very expensive way to squeeze the most out of oil wells then.

quote:

Just needs a 'totals' bit. How many circuit board factories do I need to make Speed3's? Am I supposed to add all those numbers together like some sorta 4th grader? Pfft!
You know, I thought about having that but then I didn't really see the point. Or rather, the point of the calculator is that each input is fed by exactly however many outputs it needs - the whole idea being you avoid just having all your circuit board factories in one pile (where they are likely to back up anyway) - instead you'd have 8 different piles of circuit fabs, each before their respective immediate use. (though again, i've still not had the time to actually try this poo poo)

I guess you just want to balance out your bus a little?

quote:

E: and a "per minute" setting.

That I can do.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Phobophilia posted:

With a construction blueprint, they can plant objections on the ground. This lets you set up big tesselating mining, furnace, and assembler complexes, or walls, or turret pillboxes, or solar panels/accumulators. Once you start blueprinting, you'll fall in love with them.

If you place something with your character using shift-click, the item won't actually be placed but it will call for a construction bot to place it instead.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Wynand posted:

You know, I thought about having that but then I didn't really see the point. Or rather, the point of the calculator is that each input is fed by exactly however many outputs it needs - the whole idea being you avoid just having all your circuit board factories in one pile (where they are likely to back up anyway) - instead you'd have 8 different piles of circuit fabs, each before their respective immediate use. (though again, i've still not had the time to actually try this poo poo)

I guess you just want to balance out your bus a little?

If you're using express belts, I can't fathom any intermediate product except for wire ever backing up faster than it can be used by outputs (in an ideal balance situation like this calc calls for). Also, in the case of Speed3 for example, there are banks of '3.33 assemblers' and '0.08' assemblers, and I bet they could share a line comfortably :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Stick Insect posted:

If you place something with your character using shift-click, the item won't actually be placed but it will call for a construction bot to place it instead.

You can do this before you even have bots can't you? Just as a guide? I'm sure I saw that mentioned on Reddit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thehustler posted:

You can do this before you even have bots can't you? Just as a guide? I'm sure I saw that mentioned on Reddit.

Yea, but they time out eventually. It's super handy for placing Roboports since you can figure out where it has to go, 'place' it long-range, then actually run over to the placing place and place it in that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man, all of these well thought out factories makes my achievement in not having material shortages pale in comparison.

How do you guys normally deal with the larger biter bases? Clouds and clouds of poison capsules? I tried using explosive rockets and they seem kinda underwhelming.