Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like the differentiation between knight and peasant weapon proficiency on fighters. Gonna stab some rear end in a top hat nobles to death with a long, sharpened stick :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The blunderbuss is a peasant weapon too :hellyeah: Wonder who this world's Sam Colt is.

Eddain posted:

I like how in Frenzy mode the Barbarian's meters all disappear. I wouldn't really feel that reckless if I saw my character drop low in health, but if I don't know how low he is I'll just keep him fighting.

Me too! Besides, gameplay and story integration is never a bad thing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Forums back up and this thread going strong.

I'm so torn. I want to pre order to get all the extras but...pre ordering is scary and such a big commitment.

What is the verdict on that and the final price? Also when is the official release date?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I'm so torn. I want to pre order to get all the extras but...pre ordering is scary and such a big commitment.

What is the verdict on that and the final price? Also when is the official release date?

No official release date but it's coming out before the end of 2014. I preordered this during the Kickstarter and am actually getting a physical box, can't wait for it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I like the differentiation between knight and peasant weapon proficiency on fighters. Gonna stab some rear end in a top hat nobles to death with a long, sharpened stick :c00l:

This image is oddly appropriate now. Gonna play as a peasant in my first run. No armor, peasant weapon proficiency, wielding a pitchfork if there is one, and choosing the most mocking dialogue towards every nobleman I see.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
How long can our character names be? This is important for my eventual Cloche Leythal Pastalia chanter run.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Jastiger posted:

It was early bird 20$ during the Kickstarter and it's been inching up every so often. It's 35$ right now, I guess it'll end up around 40$. If you're still on the fence after all these updates then I'd just wait till like the beta and read people's impressions first.

And yeah they said it'll release Winter 2014 cause that's when the money runs out.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I got in on early bird when someone else upgraded late in the Kickstarter. Pretty happy about it! I think this is the only game I've really looked forward to in a long time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Jastiger posted:

If you're not sure you're into a modernized IE game with a rulebase that fixes all of D&D 2/3/3.5 flaws, then don't pre-order. If you even remotely want to play Baldur's Gate right now, then pre-order PoE.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Wezlar posted:

I got in on early bird when someone else upgraded late in the Kickstarter. Pretty happy about it! I think this is the only game I've really looked forward to in a long time.

Might have been mine. I started at early bird, then got the $250 signed physical box. There is no other game (or Dev team) I would even consider spending that much on.

It was my Christmas present two years early.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wolfsheim posted:

As a reminder, weapons are balanced relative to each other, so weapons like hatchets and quarterstaves are actually good in the right hands. A fighter can excel with "peasant" weapons just fine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I would like to play this game. Please hurry and finish.

Thanks!

Octo1
May 7, 2009
What do the athletics and lore skills do anyway?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

rope kid posted:

As a reminder, weapons are balanced relative to each other, so weapons like hatchets and quarterstaves are actually good in the right hands. A fighter can excel with "peasant" weapons just fine.

I'm really glad to hear that. On top of doing weapon specialization by groups, it sounds like a great way to avoid a lot of the problems you often get with weapon specialization systems. (3.5e, "hope you didn't pick spears/daggers/clubs!" in BG2, etc)

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Octo1 posted:

What do the athletics and lore skills do anyway?

Athletics improves your ability to stuff nerds in lockers. Lore improves your ability to argue about RPG minutia on the Internet.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

Can we have some info on this, please? I gather that blunt weapons 'pierce' armour better than bladed weapons, for instance, but what disadvantages and advantages would a staff-wielder have versus a maceman, for example? I can definitely see the mace being more brute force (i.e. pure damage) while a skilled staff-wielder would be able to trip up an opponent, thwack them in the eyes (i.e. more status effects). Is something like this the case?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

What distinguishes axes and quarterstaves from the others mechanically (other than damage type)? On the wiki Hatchets, Battle axes and Quarterstaves are 3 of 5 weapons that we don't know the "feature" of yet (others are Greatsword and Rapier).

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Male Man posted:

Athletics improves your ability to stuff nerds in lockers. Lore improves your ability to argue about RPG minutia on the Internet.

Ah yes. The ellusive "Muscle Nerd" class.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh happy day, I can post again.

And my first post shall be to say: Barbarians be balla.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm sad there's no Warlord analogue (unless fighters get some leaderish abilities) but barbarians look fun as heck so I guess that will have to do.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

AXE COP posted:

I'm sad there's no Warlord analogue (unless fighters get some leaderish abilities) but barbarians look fun as heck so I guess that will have to do.
Isn't PoE's Paladin very close in concept to D&D's Warlord?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Furism posted:

If you're not sure you're into a modernized IE game with a rulebase that fixes all of D&D 2/3/3.5 flaws, then don't pre-order. If you even remotely want to play Baldur's Gate right now, then pre-order PoE.

I consider Baldurs Gate to be one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences of all time. Indeed....

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I would like to play this game. Please hurry and finish.

Thanks!

Naw, let them take their time. I'd rather the game was lengthy and bug-free.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Congratz on the result of Group G, ropekid. I've gotten an impression that you aka Friendly Fire may be in a good mood today wishfully thinking at my end. Nice time to ask questions, I guess.

How far are the players allowed to upgrade weapons through the crafting system? Can the players keep something like Applebane upgrade till the end or the upgradable range won't be that dynamic? If the answer is "yes" for the former, then, what would be the cost (penalty) for such dynamic upgrading?

Having seen there is basically no limitation in using different weapons, but some bonuses for specialization, I became inclined to doubt the importance of the stash access limitation in tactical/strategic of equipment choice. Now I'm much informed about the system compared with the beginning of the project, as you used to point out, I began to feel the stash limitation pointless as much as the spell preparation of wizards in D&D games, which was translated into the grimoire swapping in PoE context. Likewise, couldn't the stash limitation be translated into a relatively minor penalty such as equipment swapping time. Otherwise, this might be ending up an example of nostalgia and democracy went wrong. Now you seem to have tested how the system actually works, how do you find the stash limitation at the current stage?

Sea Otter fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 26, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Sea Otter posted:

Congratz on the result of Group G, ropekid. I've gotten an impression that you aka Friendly Fire may be in a good mood today wishfully thinking at my end. Nice time to ask questions, I guess.

How much upgrading allow the players to upgrade weapons through the crafting system? Can the players keep something like Applebane upgrade till the end or the upgradable range won't be that dynamic? If the answer is the former, then, what would be the cost (con) of such dynamic upgrading?

Having seen there is basically no limitation in using different weapons, but some bonuses for specialization, I became inclined to doubt the importance of the stash access limitation in tactical/strategic of equipment choice. Now I'm much informed compared about the system with the beginning of the project, as ropekid used to point out, I began to feel the stash limitation pointless as much as the spell preparation of wizards in D&D games, which was translated into the grimoire swapping in PoE context. Likewise, the stash limitation could be translated into a relatively minor penalty such as equipment swapping time. Otherwise, this might be ending up an example of nostalgia and democracy went wrong. Now you seem to have tested how the system actually works, how do you find the stash limitation at the current stage?

man what

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Have we heard anything about the party AI? All the classes sound really cool, but reading about all the abilities, and the way the classes should position themselves in combat, i often get afraid that you have to micromanage the whole party in order to get any use out them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

What distinguishes axes and quarterstaves from the others mechanically (other than damage type)? On the wiki Hatchets, Battle axes and Quarterstaves are 3 of 5 weapons that we don't know the "feature" of yet (others are Greatsword and Rapier).
Like pikes, quarterstaves can attack from a greater distance. Hatchets grant a small amount of bonus Deflection, and battle axes do more damage on a Crit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sea Otter posted:

How far are the players allowed to upgrade weapons through the crafting system? Can the players keep something like Applebane upgrade till the end or the upgradable range won't be that dynamic? If the answer is "yes" for the former, then, what would be the cost (penalty) for such dynamic upgrading?
Upgrading costs ingredients and, more importantly, money. You can keep upgrading an individual item. It will just cost a bunch of money and eventually you will hit the enchantment cap.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

rope kid posted:

Upgrading costs ingredients and, more importantly, money. You can keep upgrading an individual item. It will just cost a bunch of money and eventually you will hit the enchantment cap.
So the model for PoE isn't the typical one of most RPGs where you end up swimming in cash with nothing to spend it on lategame? That always bugs me a little, I like when there are things to keep throwing money at.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I'm now wondering/imagining if earlier weapons have a higher enchantment potential, so if you focused all your money and resources on an early-game weapon you could take it straight through to the endgame as some uber-enchanted god-killer you've dumped everything into and it's still worthwhile.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GetWellGamers posted:

I'm now wondering/imagining if earlier weapons have a higher enchantment potential, so if you focused all your money and resources on an early-game weapon you could take it straight through to the endgame as some uber-enchanted god-killer you've dumped everything into and it's still worthwhile.

Why the hell would you waste time enchanting an early weapon when your early hat options are right there?

This is my Wide-Brimmed Yankee-Doodle Sombrero of Stealth and Piercing Damage + 18. :ese:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

rope kid posted:

Like pikes, quarterstaves can attack from a greater distance. Hatchets grant a small amount of bonus Deflection, and battle axes do more damage on a Crit.

I hope there's an update listing all the weapons and what they can do.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapon

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

rope kid posted:

As I expected. Thank you for keeping the system open to various customizations, anyway.

theshim posted:

So the model for PoE isn't the typical one of most RPGs where you end up swimming in cash with nothing to spend it on lategame? That always bugs me a little, I like when there are things to keep throwing money at.
Like the stash access limit, when the item degradation system came up as the major money sink, quite many people went against it. Also, related with Drifter's point, many people liked legendary items to be found through exploring, means, they are basically acquired without any monetary loss, which won't end up with a good economic balance, either. While, generally speaking, I like tight management in survival focused games, if the newly implemented features such as stronghold building and crafting can squeeze too tightly, some players may end up with wasting too much money on new implantations at the early stage and even can be screwed up in the core gameplay. Some older game fans may rather like it but I think Infinity Engine games intentionally avoided such approach in the first place.

Drifter posted:

Why the hell would you waste time enchanting an early weapon when your early hat options are right there?

This is my Wide-Brimmed Yankee-Doodle Sombrero of Stealth and Piercing Damage + 18. :ese:
I suspect (hope) the crafting system will allow many more customizations than that. If the crafting system is interesting, then, it can even feel like an extended character-build. Also, there is the item description tier.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

What if you had legendary items whose enchantments were faded and needed a massive cash infusion?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What if you had legendary items whose enchantments were faded and needed a massive cash infusion?

Didn't realize magic items worked like the banking industry

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The "good" method would be to pay soul enchanters to revive the magic in your legendary equipment.

The "evil" method would be to kill a bunch of people and use their souls to replenish the enchantments directly. Those souls would be eternally trapped within the item and sometimes you'd hear them cry out for release.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

Does the the deflection bonus of a hatchet stack with shields or a second hatchet?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eddain posted:

The "good" method would be to pay soul enchanters to revive the magic in your legendary equipment.

The "evil" method would be to kill a bunch of people and use their souls to replenish the enchantments directly. Those souls would be eternally trapped within the item and sometimes you'd hear them cry out for release.

I think you'll find that the good, holy option is to hunt down demon summoners, defilers and general degenerates and fuse their souls into your gear as a portable purgatory. You are cleansing them through the fires of your belief. Only an evil man would pay someone to bind stray souls into their gear rather than use it to redeem the irredeemable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

Does the the deflection bonus of a hatchet stack with shields or a second hatchet?
Yes, though two hatchets do not have the Deflection bonus of even a small shield. The cost of carrying a shield is an overall reduced attack rate, so weapon type bonuses tend to be minor.

• Locked thread