Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

He's not some potential perennial top 5 all star but he should be a good presence on any team. My real issue with him is I don't believe he passes much once the ball hits his hands.

He does not and that's my biggest knock on him. If you pass the ball to Randle it's either a shot, a turnover, or free throws. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world (Kevin McHale was the same way) but definitely something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

The Glumslinger posted:

You could literally say that about any PF in the draft, its a really dumb argument

True, but teams make a guess about who can develop an outside game and who can't. The consensus seems to be that Randle probably won't.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had a dream that the Lakers drafted some guy named Dominic and me and my stepbrother were really annoyed about it and the vatos we invited into the house we grew up in were really ragging us about it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

WIP is reporting that the Cavs want 3/10/32 for the #1.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I say do it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'd say wait them out and dare them to draft Wiggins

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Don't dare Cleveland to do anything or they'll do something stupid. Wiggins and Philly are a match made in heaven. Parker belongs in Milwaukee as he might be the only player in a decade that actually wants to play in Milwaukee. Cleveland gets two extra picks to find some help. This needs to happen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is going to be an insane GDT

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
were the Cavs this desperate to trade last year's #1?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IIRC no one wanted it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If Philly stands pat Cleveland might draft Exum and Wiggins falls to them anyways or they might draft Wiggins and Milwaukee takes Parker and you end up with Embiid or Exum or Vonleh if you're feeling frisky, none of which would be a bad consolation prize for a team who is not contending next season, especially when you consider that you have an early second round pick as well as the #10

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

euphronius posted:

IIRC no one wanted it.

they also made some insane demands as I recall (I think they asked for Anthony Davis or something?)

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

euphronius posted:

This is going to be an insane GDT

Yeah.

The Sixers need to stay the gently caress away from Embiid after the year without Noel and the failed experiment that was Bynum.

Vonleh has grown on me, and I am getting less and less impressed by Exum.

If Stauskas stays at 10 there is no reason not to take him, but I can always dream that Wiggins drops to three or something crazy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The arguement for Vonleh over Randle is that he's way longer, a better athlete, and has shown the ability to step out and hit a jumper. Randle was a beast a times, but he doesn't have a great wingspan for his size, is a little more of an under the rim guy, and struggled at time against bigger defenders (which is part of the reason his shooting percentage at the rim isn't very good), which he'll see more often in the pros. Vonleh is also a way better defensive player. Randle was awful on that end. Vonleh is not as polished as Randle is right now but his ceiling is a lot higher.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I see nothing wrong with the Sixers grabbing Embiid. They're not going to be competitive next year either short of a miracle FA signing.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Doltos posted:

I see nothing wrong with the Sixers grabbing Embiid. They're not going to be competitive next year either short of a miracle FA signing.

In the east though? At this point all you have to do is be better than the Bobcats.....

The Sixers have the most money in the league available, and having all this young talent on rental is a great place to be. They need to stay away from injury problems unless the idea is to somehow move Embiid in the future...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The problem with Embiid is that his issues could last a lot longer than just next year. Foot and back injuries are a scary thing. If the only problem was that he'd have to miss like 50 games or whatever next year then he'd go in the Top 3 no questions asked.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

euphronius posted:

IIRC no one wanted it.

Ya, they had a really confusing stance where they were quietly shopping it super hard but shopping it for like twice its market value. No one wanted that pick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ESPN has some *advanced stats* yesterday which showed pretty well the Vonleh is superior to Randle in that they rebound about the same, but Vonleh is much better jump shooter and blocks more.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yuzenn posted:

In the east though? At this point all you have to do is be better than the Bobcats.....

The Sixers have the most money in the league available, and having all this young talent on rental is a great place to be. They need to stay away from injury problems unless the idea is to somehow move Embiid in the future...

What young talent do they have? The only legit NBA rotation players on the whole team next year are going to be Thad Young, whoever they draft maybe, and MCW (who I think is way overrated right now). It's a really bad team. They're a lot worse than even the Bobcats or Hawks and won't be competitive next year.

euphronius posted:

ESPN has some *advanced stats* yesterday which showed pretty well the Vonleh is superior to Randle in that they rebound about the same, but Vonleh is much better jump shooter and blocks more.

He's way way way better on a per possession basis, but his usage isn't nearly as high. Vonleh knocked down jumpers at a good rate but he really didn't shoot very many so there's some sample size worries there.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

MourningView posted:

What young talent do they have? The only legit NBA rotation players on the whole team next year are going to be Thad Young, whoever they draft maybe, and MCW (who I think is way overrated right now). It's a really bad team. They're a lot worse than even the Bobcats or Hawks and won't be competitive next year.

He's way way way better on a per possession basis, but his usage isn't nearly as high. Vonleh knocked down jumpers at a good rate but he really didn't shoot very many so there's some sample size worries there.

I'm playing a scenario in my mind where its Stauskas at the 2 and Vonleh at the 4, tbh.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

‏@KBergCBS
Four players moving up teams' draft boards: Shabazz Napier, Kyle Anderson, Elfrid Payton and Jusuf Nurkic, league sources say.

The LeBron Effect

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

He only shot 41, to be exact. Not 41 threes, but 41 jump shots. I like his overall projection as a shooter better than, say, Victor Oladipo, but it's a big mystery

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

‏@KBergCBS
Four players moving up teams' draft boards: Shabazz Napier, Kyle Anderson, Elfrid Payton and Jusuf Nurkic, league sources say.

The LeBron Effect

I wish sports teams would do away with GMs and just let star players build the team around them like when people grab pickup teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

‏@KBergCBS

The LeBron Effect

Supposedly he's been really good in workouts too but yeah, LeBron calling him the best PG in the draft is helping him way more than it should.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Yuzenn posted:

I'm playing a scenario in my mind where its Stauskas at the 2 and Vonleh at the 4, tbh.

I think if the Sixers gets Vonleh/Randle + Stauskas/Harris they will be a great up-and-coming team next year with the addition of a healthy Noel.

MCW/Stauskas/Young/Vonleh/Noel or MCW/Harris/Young/Randle/Noel would be fantastic.

Any way they can come out of the lottery with a good SG and PF they win the draft.

e: or Gordon as a PF pick.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

He only shot 41, to be exact. Not 41 threes, but 41 jump shots. I like his overall projection as a shooter better than, say, Victor Oladipo, but it's a big mystery

It's true. But in terms of comparing him to Randle, Randle shot a decent number as was absolutely awful at them, so that's kind of a worry. He came in with a reputation as a good shooter and hits his free throws at a decent rate though so I guess you hope he bounces back.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
How do you become less impressed with Exum when you haven't seen anymore of him than the miniscule amount available?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

How do you become less impressed with Exum when you haven't seen anymore of him than the miniscule amount available?

well team scouts keep anonymously leaking negative things because their teams instruct them to do so and everyone is talking up people that they just watched so

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

MourningView posted:

It's true. But in terms of comparing him to Randle, Randle shot a decent number as was absolutely awful at them, so that's kind of a worry. He came in with a reputation as a good shooter and hits his free throws at a decent rate though so I guess you hope he bounces back.

Ya I'd rather have a guy who can't shoot or doesn't want to shoot and won't shoot than a guy who shoot 17.3% on jump shots and keeps taking them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I have absolutely no idea how good or bad Exum is but I have a feeling Orlando will take him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Exum not wanting to work out for people has dropped my consideration of him, but I still think he goes top-5.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

@WojYahooNBA: Marcus Smart is emerging as serious consideration for Utah with fifth pick, league sources tell Yahoo. Smart didn't workout for Jazz.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

Exum not wanting to work out for people has dropped my consideration of him, but I still think he goes top-5.

Didn't he only not want to work out for the Cavs?

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

double sulk posted:

@WojYahooNBA: Marcus Smart is emerging as serious consideration for Utah with fifth pick, league sources tell Yahoo. Smart didn't workout for Jazz.
Cavs Syndrome is spreading

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

Didn't he only not want to work out for the Cavs?

And this doesn't drop him in my estimation.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Eh, not working out either means he got a promise from someone or he's trying to trick a team into thinking he got a promise from someone. No harm in gaming the system a bit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm really disappointed that there's no one obviously as terrible as Jan Vesely to go in the lottery this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All hope I have for the Kings this draft rests on Smart, Exum, and Randle all getting taken in the top 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm really disappointed that there's no one obviously as terrible as Jan Vesely to go in the lottery this year.

Aaron Gordon reminds me a lot of Vesely so when Philly panics and picks him at 3 I will telepathically send you my laughter

• Locked thread