Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Shindragon posted:

Sure why not, what's the specific dimensions if I may ask?

The logo for the wiki should be a 135x135px PNG, but a PNG at 450ish PX on a side would also go great on the main competition page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Could I get added to the list? I'm in and I'll be working solo.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mido posted:

Daring move, comrade. One I will not forget lightly.

Oh poo poo, I'd better make something good. :ohdear:

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I'd like to sign up for this. My team name is Team Fundamentals and I think I am going to make a quiz-like game.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I've got another round of ideas I want to post up and get feed back on but drat If I'm not lazy during the weekend.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I'll throw my hat into the ring as available to help with a project using Unity.

I'm pretty amateur hour, but I can get around Unity in an OK manner. So basically I can be a backup/assistant coder in C# if anyone is interested.

Contact through Pm's or aaymont at gmail dot com

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
wrong thread

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh, hey, the forums are back. While they were out, I took five hours and hacked together a proof-of-concept Twitch/Twitter-based game to make sure that there weren't going to be any technical surprises popping up in July:

http://www.twitch.tv/nightvisiontv

This is just some dumb quiz game show that might show up on a PATV channel late at night. Tweet in your answers to @NightVisionTV! If anyone is planning on making a similar game and wants the source for this let me know, I had to make quite a few changes to one of the popular Twitter->Unity examples in order to get everything working properly.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
My non-SA friend can be taken off Team Peterreteveterretep, he won't be able to help me with art in July.

So now I'm looking for an artist willing to do static 2D artwork for a CCG.

However, do not expect a very intensive work relationship. I've got a full time job, 2 kids and a wife in the cellar. I'd be happy if I'm able to make something even remotely playable.

What I think I'm going to need is templates for three to five kinds of cards and specific artwork for each card (I'm guessing about 20 cards for now, but this is a really rough estimate). Also some small icons for card cost, event type, etc.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
As a friendly reminder, should the forums go down again before or during SAGDC, the #SAGameDev IRC channel on irc.synirc.net will remain a great place to find collaborators, testers and general goons to hang out with. Consider visiting today or at least writing down the channel information for when the hard times return.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Comedy prize: I'd like to sponsor the You Tried and Spectacularly Failed Prize. I will give 1000 dogecoins to the person in last place who actually finishes a game.

CCrew
Nov 5, 2007

Alright, I've attempted this contest once before while still in school during the "You can't" round of games. I'm going to enter this year with the goal of completing my concept as Team Ethereal Sandwich.

To me, public access television is all about he community making stupid videos to entertain people with nothing better to do. So, my goal will be to set up a site where you're able to make simple videos with chosen backgrounds and characters/objects. When you finish a video, there will be another section to the site where videos people have made will be randomly streamed to anyone interested in watching, with an attached voting system.

I expect people will make a bunch of dumb but hopefully funny videos in true public television spirit. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone here and setting up a website to do this, a task I've never done before. From initial research I'll be going for JavaScript drawing to an HTML5 canvas. If anyone has advice for me going into it, I'd be happy to listen.

Here's to hoping my silly animated bit strips idea gets finished!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Whoever is keeping track of team orphans, you can add me to the list. I entered this year because I want to actually use my CS degree to finish a project, since I'm not working in that field right now. So anyone who needs/wants a programmer, send me a PM or reply here in the thread. If I can't find anyone, I'll go it alone, but I'm the kind of person who works harder when they know they have other people counting on them to get their work done :shobon:

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Forums user jusion and I will be reprising our efforts last year as team CHOPHOUSE. We were pretty successful last year, here's hoping we can keep it up.
We are going to do an html5 webby thing.

PM me if you are an artist/idea person looking for a team.

MSPain fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 26, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

blastron posted:

So, if any of you are as crazy as TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is and are hoping to do some sort of weird experimental game using heavy Twitch integration, it looks like the Twitch SDK has a whole bunch of cool stuff, including native, cross-platform Unity distribution: https://github.com/twitchtv/sdk-dist

The Unity Plugin currently requires Unity Pro FYI. I know we have some 2 month trials, but just wanted everyone to know. Also if you use a Unity Pro trial the output will say Unity Trial on screen permanently.

https://github.com/twitchtv/sdk-dist/wiki/Twitch-Unity-Plugin

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I have to take myself out of the running before even starting, as my work projects have become significantly more important and I need to spend all of my time on that rather than this.
My game would have sucked anyway, but oh well. :(

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
We're in it to win it as Team Terrible TripleD Gramphics with TheBrigand and TheBumbler, and two non-goons helping out as well. Hopefully our scope and premise will be realistic and attainable unlike those last two times, so we don't end up cutting half our content!

I'll throw in a :toxx: to submit an entry as well. I am serious about videogames.

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh sweet, I finally have an excuse to put my formative experiences as a PATV camera man into a video game.

Count me a known entrant.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
4 days and counting, I'm ready. :getin:

e: I've never worked in a group before where multiple people would be working with the source of a project, whats an easy way to handle source control?

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

bbcisdabomb posted:

The logo for the wiki should be a 135x135px PNG, but a PNG at 450ish PX on a side would also go great on the main competition page.

Nope. Not done as someone pointed out.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 27, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I might be setting myself up for a bad pun, but where's the "awful"?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Leif. posted:

OH my god what...
I'm embarrassed...

This is what I get for trying to finish things late.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Nope. Not done as someone pointed out.

Leif. posted:

Shindragon posted:

OH my god what...
I'm embarrassed...

This is what I get for trying to finish things late.

The "awful" missing from the logo totally gave it a public access vibe, that logo was amazing.

Bring it back :black101:

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Diametunim posted:

4 days and counting, I'm ready. :getin:

e: I've never worked in a group before where multiple people would be working with the source of a project, whats an easy way to handle source control?

I usually use git hub

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still an orphan, available to compose original music and, what the hell, probably even some sound effects and sound design stuff too. If everyone already has a music guy than that's one thing, but I better not see any completed games with unoriginal and/or no music :mad:

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
I'll probably need some music for mine, but need to do some proper planning and get figure out what my game's going to be

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'll throw it out there, but I'm a programmer, and I need an artist/someone to be accountable to. I'm going to use the html5 plugin I bought for Gamemaker dammit. Also I haven't thought much about my game because I get super enthusiastic at first and then fall into laziness, so I want to have that excitement as long as possible. Maybe a single player card puzzle game. Or a rogue-lite.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

timp posted:

I'm still an orphan, available to compose original music and, what the hell, probably even some sound effects and sound design stuff too. If everyone already has a music guy than that's one thing, but I better not see any completed games with unoriginal and/or no music :mad:

If you don't have a team by the start of the competition, you're welcome to work with Lord Lambeth and myself. I'll make no promises as to the quality (or whether or not it will get finished), but you're welcome to throw in your hat and work on The Rage of Painting with us.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

timp posted:

You should join me. I can write the code, you can write the music, and we can share the task of producing cruddy amateur art that doesn't match at all. I think this is a recipe for public access success.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I may be horribly late to the party, but I'm in as an orphan coder. I can do c++, java, and can try learning c# by the seat of my pants through July. I don't have a huge amount of time, but I've never finished a game project before, and I want to change that.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Also a little late to the party, I'm an orphaned designer. If you ever thought things looked too easy you should consider adding someone with no concrete skills or finished projects to your group. More realistically I'll probably try to put something together with either RPGmaker or Twine.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm on the fence about jumping into this last minute as my first game jam. Poemdexter's video was a big help in some ways, but it discouraged me a bit as well. The only platform where I'd be immediately productive and up to date is iOS, but I'd basically be doing an entry for myself and not for judgment if I entered an iOS game. Doing a native OSX game would be doable but probably also unrealistic to expect judges to run.

I have a lot of experience in C++, some JavaScript, and a tiny bit of C#. I have no doubt that I could pick up C# fast enough to get a game done in a month, but I'm not so sure about learning Unity/Cocos2d-X/whatever in that time frame. I'd also need a 2d artist, but I can probably track down one with some time on my own.

I'm between contracts at the moment, so I have plenty of time to throw around. I also have several ideas for games that would fit the theme.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I haven't been looking for people on my end but if I don't get picked up by anypeople I still have an idea I could try; but working solo will probably see me not get anything really done :smith:

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER
Me and my buddy (who's a non-goon) were gonna make a game together anyhow, so sign up Team Zodiac for business.

Public access television is a rather unique prompt, and we hope we can have some good fun with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think I'll give it a shot. I've been following previous competitions but I never actually made anything myself. Maybe it's about time I try to do something.

I have one question though, how strict is the theme rule?
For example, could I make a game about a homeless living television apparatus being, dunno, watched by passerby's?
Since technically it's about "TV" that's "Public Access".

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 28, 2014

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.
Okay, me (programmer/musician) and my non-goon artist friend are gonna try to make something as Team Name Subject To Change. We have absolutely no idea what we're doing and no experience whatsoever so it's gonna be fun.

Also, if you want to be a game designer / have a game idea / have sense of humor (unlike us) and want to be a part of a horrible trainwreck fun game project you can join us! No experience needed!

thehoax fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 28, 2014

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Early doors for implementing the web content side of things.

https://twitter.com/chincinema

Follow during the month of the competition and a some time there after to unlock added content in the game!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Not completely sure if I should throw my hat in. I have some coding experience and have been playing around with tutorials for apps like GameMaker, Construct 2 and ClickTeam Fusion and reading up on design patterns as well.

Unity seems like it has pretty high complexity for a first gamejam. I'm not sure if I would want to worry about camera angles and layering - would rather cut my teeth on another tool.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I have one question though, how strict is the theme rule?
For example, could I make a game about a homeless living television apparatus being, dunno, watched by passerby's? Since technically it's about "TV" that's "Public Access".

I'm not one of the organizers, but in past years people have interpreted the theme in clever ways. Like when the theme was "balls", there was: an NES-style platformer where you play as a bouncy ball and modify your bounces via powerups, an RTS/puzzle type game where you are trying to keep all the guests happy at a fancy dress ball, and (of course) a virtual scrotum with soft body physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Had a family tragedy, so when the "THE COMPETITION IS ON!" thread is delayed a bit, please nobody panic. Just start development on July 1st, etc. I'm just scarce online lately.

• Locked thread