Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
In fact you should leave anyone alone if they're cumming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How does anyone give a poo poo about this

I don't really care about celebrity gossip, but sometimes it cracks me up when someone goes completely off the rails like he has.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what was the breaking point for him going full on crazy?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

zVxTeflon posted:

His girlfriend breaking up with him because he signed on to do Nyphomaniac's "real sex scenes" without asking her.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

What if they just need that little push over the edge?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I think Shia LeBouf has gone past crazy and is deep into "rolling with the punches" territory.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hewlett posted:

What if they just need that little push over the edge?

You see into their soul if you catch them in the vinegar strokes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I think Shia LeBouf has gone past crazy and is deep into "rolling with the punches" territory.

doesnt that usually precede the crazy phase though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CloseFriend posted:

Besides The Paperboy and There's Something About Mary, are there any other movies where a real-life Briton plays an American pretending to be British? Something about that cracks me up.

I really enjoyed both movies… although I only enjoyed the second one grudgingly. :colbert: I loved the visuals, but it just seems like a colossal waste of resources to use that budget, that cast, and that design work all on old material.

There's an episode of The Wire in the second season where McNulty has the worst British accent trying to impersonate a John.

zVxTeflon posted:

It started when he made that decent short film that he unfortunately plagaraised from a Daniel Clowes comic.

Seriously, he has enough money and it wasn't a commercial project, he probably could have got the rights cheap. Did he seriously not realize someone would notice, I know it might be damning with faint praise, but Clowes is probably the most famous indie comics guy working today. Hell, Scarlett Johansson's break through was the double whammy of Ghost World and Lost in Translation.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

zVxTeflon posted:

why do you keep reregging?

It's hard to find a great place to talk about movies. On CD I can talk about all the blockbuster garb I watch, but I can also bring up Borgman (2013, dir. Van Warmerdam) or La vie d'Adele (2013, dir. Kechiche) and at least one or two people will usually take the bait. Also there's some cool posters here with real expertise and consistently interesting points of view.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Usual Suspects is a fun movie. That's about as much as I can say for it, but sometimes a tightly-paced crime thriller is exactly what you're in the mood for. It takes a bit too long for the film to pull together all the scattered plot points and let it flow from there, and the reveal of Keyser Soze feels a bit tacked-on, but it's still a solid crime thriller.

I always like the idea of watching The Usual Suspects more than I do actually watching it. Like, "oh man that would hit the spot right now" except I'm thinking of a better version of it I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Book chat: Duane Swierczynski's Charlie Hardie books are rad as hell. Fun and Games is possibly the dumbest action movie I've ever read and I love it. It's all about a GOOD MAN DOING BAD THINGS AND ATONING FOR HIS PAST AS A LOOSE CANNON and there's car chases and titties and explosions and aw man it's just wonderful.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vargo posted:

You see into their soul if you catch them in the vinegar strokes.

Alan Cumming forever unclean?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hey all, turns out there's a DTV movie called The Machine that's basically Universal Soldier: Regeneration crossed with Beyond The Black Rainbow, and it's probably the best film of the year. Just so you know!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

Book chat: Duane Swierczynski's Charlie Hardie books are rad as hell. Fun and Games is possibly the dumbest action movie I've ever read and I love it. It's all about a GOOD MAN DOING BAD THINGS AND ATONING FOR HIS PAST AS A LOOSE CANNON and there's car chases and titties and explosions and aw man it's just wonderful.

God dammit, I was at the library today trying to remember that name. Isn't that Greg Rucka or some other comic book dude's pen name.

I got an Earl Emmerson book instead, they're well written but fairly by the book PI novels, except they take place in Seattle.

Dickeye, have you read Richard Stark's Parker novels? They're all about A BAD MAN DOING BAD THINGS AND NOT ATONING FOR poo poo, ALSO HE'S NOT A LOOSE CANNON, SITUATIONS GET BEYOND HIS CONTROL BUT HE ALWAYS MAINTAINS THE EMOTIONAL BALANCE TO REACT LOGICALLY TO THE SITUATION. Point Blank and Payback (and Parker, but apparently that movie sucks) are all based on him.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hey all, turns out there's a DTV movie called The Machine that's basically Universal Soldier: Regeneration crossed with Beyond The Black Rainbow, and it's probably the best film of the year. Just so you know!

Is it this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That's the one. It was shot for well under 2 million and makes Edge of Tomorrow look like a poo poo.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Now that's how you sell a movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Do you know if this is available from VOD services?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Has anybody noted the similarities between the overnight mutant pregnancy plot lines from Class of Nuke Em High and Prometheus?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Someone with more money than sense change SMGs avatar to a picture of Roger Corman with a blue penis on his forhead.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Looking at his avatar gives me the impression that SMG is such a mythological forums poster to some people it's only a matter of time before some girls stab each other over him.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pretty sure no-one's made this joke before.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SMG is worse than the Slender Man. Slendy can only hurt me by startling me to death or getting me stabbed because of crazy people. SMG poisons your own mind. With thoughts. They corrupt you with strange new ideas that threaten to change you. And change is bad. That's like dying.

You have to put them on ignore to stop it. But the corruption has already spread too far. The only answer is to close your web browser and hope it's not too late to save yourself.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

You should post about it in the book barn airplane book thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Looking at his avatar gives me the impression that SMG is such a mythological forums poster to some people it's only a matter of time before some girls stab each other over him.

"Becky had to die because she just couldn't understand that the action in Battle: Los Angeles is pure anti-spectacle."

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

General Ironicus posted:

Heh.

zVxTeflon posted:

I know one time he tweeted I'M NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE like forty times in a row. Then Jaden Smith tweeted that he supported Shia Laboofle in his anti-fame campaign or something equally inane.

Hat Thoughts posted:

This would require more than barely any women to post in this subforum :v:

Slice of Life: this is one of the most insane nights at work I have had in a long time. All I want to do is lay down and never move again.

Edit:
Gatts, I never saw your e/n thread about your love life. I feel deprived.

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 27, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's 3 AM and I'm about to probably spend all night watching The State.

Visiting my parents' place was a good idea.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Godzilla was interesting. A lot to like and a lot to criticize but very interesting. That said, I don't think there's anything especially worth seeing it at cinemas for. There are some amazing shots in there, but they'd still be there on your tv. I was sad there wasn't enough of that Cloverfield feeling of insignificance as a human when presented with these hulking beasts. The first person part of the skydiving sequence seemed liked it would be perfect to illustrate the size, but sadly it just looked like you were wearing funny glasses and looking at a video game cutscene on your monitor. Funnily enough, while the other big draw for spectacles like this is the sound, in this film it's the moments of silence and minimalism in the sound department that really make it stand out.

There's one shot of Godzilla standing in a mist of debris while there is no sound but a single sparse and solitary piano tune. I loved that.

Also, I love how chunky he is. It's a nice design.

I don't remember the name of a single character in the film.

Oh, and gently caress the fact that IMAX in china is 3D only. I wish it would die. It adds nothing, it just makes things more difficult to see.

Oh oh, the credit sequence was great.

Godzilla.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 27, 2014

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I felt more or less the same, everything from the point where they did the Halo jump onwards was absolutely spot-on and holy poo poo how pretty are those shots of the jumpers trailing red smoke as they dive into the city?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

CPL593H posted:

Do you know if this is available from VOD services?
According to this, Vudu and iTunes have it to rent and the usual places have it to blind-buy.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I saw it a few days ago and I am still digesting it. I think I need to rewatch it a few more times though. Being that Godzilla was such a huge part of my childhood I have this weird...dissatisfaction for it, but I have almost nothing but good things to say about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm kinda sad people don't like Godzilla. Despite all it's flaws, it's a slow paced monster movie, and I love those more than any other kind of movie. Since everyone hated it, we'll probably never get something like it again.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

CelticPredator posted:

I'm kinda sad people don't like Godzilla. Despite all it's flaws, it's a slow paced monster movie, and I love those more than any other kind of movie. Since everyone hated it, we'll probably never get something like it again.

It really did not feel slow though. Slower than most blockbusters yes, but that is not saying much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

SMG is worse than the Slender Man. Slendy can only hurt me by startling me to death or getting me stabbed because of crazy people. SMG poisons your own mind. With thoughts. They corrupt you with strange new ideas that threaten to change you. And change is bad. That's like dying.

You have to put them on ignore to stop it. But the corruption has already spread too far. The only answer is to close your web browser and hope it's not too late to save yourself.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure SMG was the first one to point out how awesome th DTV Universal Soldiers were, and that earns a lot of CineD credits in my book.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CelticPredator posted:

I thought it made a shitload of money and was a modest critical success?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

penismightier posted:

I thought it made a shitload of money and was a modest critical success?

SHUT UP I'M CHAMPIONING THE UNDERDOG HERE

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I am looking forward to Pacific Rim 2: Rim Harder.

Dickeye, I too wear radar (army) caps, but without labels. I need to protect my shorn head from rain and sun.

As for you reprobates dissing The Usual Suspects, well, given where it's coming from I shouldn't be too surprised. Suffice to say I disagree strongly with your so-called opinions.

The other day as we were walking to our grading suite we were talking about Hercules, which is posting in the same building. As pardner says "It's a shame it's directed by Brett Ratner, we round the corner and see in the open doorway the very same man. I don't think he heard. He looks like a douche-nozzle.

CPL WEAR MY GODDAMN YANKEE SHORTS.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It did. But people didn't like the lack of monster action and the fun tongue and cheek cut aways. I liked that stuff. It could've used maybe 5 more minutes of Godzilla, I suppose, but I thought the monsters were perfectly kept at a distance.

There will be a sequel, but I'm sure the studio will request a lot more monster action. I like my monster movies slow when it comes to revealing the monsters.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only time I wear a hat, and thus, the only time a hat should be worn, is when I'm at work, as a job requirement. Luckily, there's no strict uniform standard, so I can just wear my awesome purple Trask Industries trucker cap I got at Comic-Con last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

The only time I wear a hat, and thus, the only time a hat should be worn, is when I'm at work, as a job requirement. Luckily, there's no strict uniform standard, so I can just wear my awesome purple Trask Industries trucker cap I got at Comic-Con last year.

But what about when you need to keep the sun out of your eyes?

• Locked thread