Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So, ToQ #6 is basically the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pyroi posted:

Yup

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SpazmasterX posted:

American Children: Ruining Toys For Over 20 years.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fun-toy-banned-because-of-three-stupid-dead-kids,290/

Pyroi posted:

Seeing as how he has a monster form too I wonder how often he's going to use it. I mean I don't expect him to go into it every episode or anything but it'd be nice if it was something that didn't just happen in this episode and then only one other time in the final episodes.

Honestly I do like how he wasn't completely dominant in his first appearance as ToQ #6, it'll solve the problem of making him look weaker in future episodes, and also doesn't make Schwarz look as bad either, since I'm getting the distinct impression he's probably either ending up as the final boss or as a defect to another villain faction he'll bring about.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Pyroi posted:

Dude has incredible music and I cannot wait for the album that has his tracks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I haven't actually seen this episode yet, so forgive me if this has been answered in the episode itself.

Since dude's a Shadow, does that mean if he gets really badly hurt that he will require darkness to be healed? Because that might get conflicted for the team real quick.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Seeing as how he has a monster form too I wonder how often he's going to use it. I mean I don't expect him to go into it every episode or anything but it'd be nice if it was something that didn't just happen in this episode and then only one other time in the final episodes.

You mean like the dude from Faiz?

"Oh my god, he's an Orphenoch?! I hope he'll be forced to use this out of desperation more than once!" Nope. Nope, nope. Not at all. Maybe in an AU movie? :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Maybe Tokatti will turn evil for no reason and put his hand on Zaram and inexplicably absorb Zaram's power and this is never explained why he can do this, and the series will end with Lady Noire standing over Zed's body saying how he will rise again, and it will never be addressed in any future Super Sentai movies or series.

No wait that's just silly, who would end a series like that?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Ok, so I am kind of new to Power Rangers. I loved Mighty Morphin back in the day, but stopped watching it until fairly recently. My girlfriend got me to watch Super Megaforce and I liked it ok, but then she had me watch Gokaiger and now I'm hooked back in. Since then, I've watched Jungle Fury and Mystic Force (which I really liked), Goseiger, Magiranger, and a little bit of Megaforce. I've got Dekaranger, Boukenger, and Gekiranger to try next.

Do you guys prefer to watch the Sentai before the Power Rangers series or vice versa? Or do you just entirely skip one? I watched Magiranger after Mystic Force and found them both really enjoyable and the things that made them different made them both great in their own ways. I apologize if this is something that has been debated to death and I can edit my post accordingly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I'll chime in with my stance on the topic: I've been staying 'current' with Sentai (i.e. I watched Gokaiger, Gobusters, Kyoryuger, and am keeping up with ToQger), but ever since I started being a host on Podcasters with Attitude (the Power Rangers review podcast! tm), I've given myself a rule of not watching the sentai until we're done watching and reviewing the Power Rangers season that was adapted from it. I basically don't want to cloud my perceptions of Power Rangers with Sentai knowledge if I can at all avoid it. I just know that when we get to reviewing Samurai and Super Samurai, I'm going to be really down on them because of how much I loved Shinkenger.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

For me I didn't start watching Sentai until Go-Onger, and I hadn't watched Power Rangers at all since Zeo before that. Since I pretty much watch the newest episode of Sentai every week and it often takes a couple of years for them to adapt it to Power Rangers, I watch the Sentai first. This has its advantages and disadvantages. With RPM for example, I was still able to really enjoy it (despite liking Go-Onger better) simply because it was so different from the Sentai. If they'd tried to do a direct adaptation of it (like they sort of did with Samurai) it'd probably have come off as way worse, like Samurai did.

Of course, Megaforce is very different from Goseiger and I still think Megaforce comes off as way worse even though Goseiger is a somewhat average Sentai, but that's mostly because of them rushing through the adaptation to get to Gokaiger stuff quicker. That, and even though maybe Goseiger's characters weren't my favorite, they at least had personalities and stuff, which is more than I can say for Troy (he did get a little better in Super Megaforce admittedly).

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Troy is the weakest link for me. Did they ever explain what "adversity" he got through that made him the best to lead the team?

I liked Goseiger quite a bit, actually! Usually pink rangers/sentai are my favorite, but it took me a few episodes before I could warm up to Eri. She was just too...flighty at first. The writers actually did a good job with her character progression.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Morby posted:

Ok, so I am kind of new to Power Rangers. I loved Mighty Morphin back in the day, but stopped watching it until fairly recently. My girlfriend got me to watch Super Megaforce and I liked it ok, but then she had me watch Gokaiger and now I'm hooked back in. Since then, I've watched Jungle Fury and Mystic Force (which I really liked), Goseiger, Magiranger, and a little bit of Megaforce. I've got Dekaranger, Boukenger, and Gekiranger to try next.

Do you guys prefer to watch the Sentai before the Power Rangers series or vice versa? Or do you just entirely skip one? I watched Magiranger after Mystic Force and found them both really enjoyable and the things that made them different made them both great in their own ways. I apologize if this is something that has been debated to death and I can edit my post accordingly.

I'll weigh in as well I guess. As a kid, I basically watched PR when I could. I started with the later MMPR seasons and I completely blank on early Turbo, but I remember watching all the way until Ninja Storm. I only picked up Sentai due to watching RPM because of a clip where they're literally taking the piss out of the whole genre. From there, I went to Gokaiger and have been watching Sentai since. PR doesn't interest me as something to watch, only something to observe.

For acclaimed PR series that's not from the classic Saban continuity, try RPM which completely ditches anything to do with Go-Onger and substititues it with its own plot and SPD which stays pretty close to Dekaforce.
For Sentai, there's a lot but Gokaiger, Go-Busters and Kyoryuger are all extremely solid series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I skip Power Rangers entirely. I did try to get back into it some years back, but I picked probably the dumbest part of Overdrive to tune in for and it just shut down any desire I had until RPM came around. Gave that a shot, it was so unlike Go-onger that I just walked away. People say RPM was good, but I just haven't had an urge to bother with the franchise since.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zyuranger is probably a good starting point in most respects. As far as Power Rangers vs Super Sentai goes it's kind of a toss up for me. I personally thought Lord Zedd was a better villian then the Gorma Tribe from Dairanger (or at least a more entertaining one). I like Kakuranger but MMPR Season 3 had its moments. Ohranger from what I've seen isn't bad per-se but I kind of liked Zeo better. Conversely, Turbo was where I started to lose interest in the franchise but Carranger is one of my favourite Sentai series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Please tell me more about what you like about Mystic Force, Morby :getin:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Really haven't liked any PR since Ninja Storm other than SPD. The one's before were good though. I've watched like 5 or 6 sentai series and the only boring one was Goseiger and ToQger is growing on me. I definitely watch sentai as it comes out as going back to watch the series in batches is hard.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Morby posted:

I would highly suggest you put Power Rangers RPM next on your watch list. In Space and Time Force are also amazing and I liked SPD a lot.

As far as sentai goes, I like Shinkenger and Gokaiger the best, probably.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I skip Power Rangers entirely. I did try to get back into it some years back, but I picked probably the dumbest part of Overdrive to tune in for and it just shut down any desire I had until RPM came around. Gave that a shot, it was so unlike Go-onger that I just walked away. People say RPM was good, but I just haven't had an urge to bother with the franchise since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrTsryg_CM
This is probably the reason I even decided to pick up RPM. Also, it goes all out in terms of being a last season under a given company so it could get away with a Post-Apoc setting for a kids show.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

Please tell me more about what you like about Mystic Force, Morby :getin:

Vida and Chip are both pretty great. They are my favorites on the team. Udonna being Magimother and Mandaraboy mentor role was nicely done, and she is a really awesome mentor figure in general. Clare is a good character on the whole, and they actually did a really nice job of fleshing her out beyond comic relief and she actually goes through a transition, even though she is not a ranger. I also liked Finneas, Toby, and LeeLee and somehow did not put together that the actress for LeeLee is Camille in "Jungle Fury" (which I love). Fireheart was a nice (but wholly unnecessary!) addition. The way they got their Ancient Mystic Mode as a result of admitting to a mistake was a different touch and worked out well within the context of the series.

Mystic Force does have its problems, though. The ending was super rushed (cutting 20 episodes will do that), I cannot understand why Nick and Madison have to be a couple because it seemed to me like they barely spoke to each other throughout the season, Madison in general just didn't seem to have much character development at all. I feel like I understand and care more about every other character. Also the opening theme sucks.

My major complaint with Power Rangers is that the seasons are usually shorter so it seems like they use the character development episodes to trim the fat. I enjoy both Mystic Force and Magiranger, though. Houka is definitely my favorite on that team, but MagiShine is an extremely close second. Dat hair flip!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The best Magiranger is Makito. I will fight you.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Having grown up watching all the way to Operation Overdrive before then having to catch up, I tend to watch sentai first, power rangers later (if mostly because of the sheer gap at this point, so its more like I watch whatever's 'current' simultaneously), but I can shift around. For me, I try to at least give PR the leniency of being able to take what works and keep it if they want to, but otherwise I do now have a habit of trying to see where they might change around the context or put in original material. Its like... sure, if something is in the sentai, a scene might have meant one thing, but what does the PR version do with it, and does it still work? Can it stand on its own?

Hence also I've actually been interested by Super Megaforce over its predecessor, since it actually seems gets a better balance and usage of new material.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So you wanna start watching some post-MMPR Power Rangers:

• Zeo. The last hurrah for most of the remaining MMPR cast. Those first few episodes of Turbo don't actually exist. Trust me.
  • In Space. The first serial season, and arguably the best. May or may not contain a crossover episode with talking reptile ninjas.
  • Lost Galaxy. A little disjointed at a couple points, but legitimately great.
  • Lightspeed Rescue. Personally I enjoyed this season quite a bit. Great cast.
  • Time Force. Another great season and the dying breath of Saban.
  • Wild Force. Watch Forever Red and move on.
  • Ninja Storm. A little shaky to start, but ends up a fun watch. Fantastic villains.
  • Dino Thunder. Dr. Tommy kicks a Tyrannosaurus Rex in the face in the first episode. Metaphor for MMPR season 1? Contains an episode where they watch a dubbed episode of Abaranger. Also has an episode that's basically a tribute to Tommy where they also ignore the fact that he was Turbo Red.
  • SPD. Great show, great cast, great story.
  • Mystic Force. Toss up. Good concept, not great execution. You may or may not like this.
  • Operation Overdrive. GO RANGERS GO RANGERS GO GO GO watch another show.
  • Jungle Fury. Never heard of it. Does this actually exist? I think this is some elaborate prank.
  • RPM. As usual, the threat of permanent cancellation gets a writing team off their asses for once. Watch please.
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Sentai only. They're skipping this to make Dino Charge, which is either a godsend or a travesty because Go-Busters was amazing and genre-defying, and a modern Saban version could probably only gently caress it up. Definitely track down subs for this.
  • (Super) Samurai. The white man will revive our samurai clan with his awesome blandness. I'm probably just jaded because of how lovely the toys are.
  • (Super) Megaforce. :stonklol: Boy I sure hope that cameo episode finale makes up for this. (Spoiler, it won't)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Also has an episode that's basically a tribute to Tommy where they also ignore the fact that he was Turbo Red.

That really bugged me. I can only assume they didn't have the time and/or didn't care enough to scrounge up a new Turbo suit. That or they were hoping that by not mentioning it fans would forget it existed, but nope.

quote:

(Super) Megaforce. :stonklol: Boy I sure hope that cameo episode finale makes up for this. (Spoiler, it won't)

The only good thing about Super Megaforce is it shows how little the people involved give a gently caress when instead of shooting new footage with suits that were actually in Power Rangers, Gosei just says "Here's some new powers!" and that's it. It was hilarious enough when they did it in the episode where Dairanger was used, but then they just straight up use Maskman and Flashman without even trying to explain it.

Of course they did shoot some new footage for one of the last episodes, because it involved the team using some Sixth Ranger keys and they seem to be saving that for purely the Silver Ranger, meaning no all silver teamup.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Morby posted:

Watch Bioman.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SpazmasterX posted:

• Jungle Fury. Never heard of it. Does this actually exist? I think this is some elaborate prank.

If you can't appreciate The Purple Stoner Ranger you should probably watch another series.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Senerio posted:

If you can't appreciate The Purple Stoner Ranger you should probably watch another series.

Yeah, this. There is no major character on that show that I did not like a lot.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I've heard Jungle Fury described as the adventures of a stoner werewolf, and as a fan of both of those groups, I want to watch Jungle Fury.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

I've heard Jungle Fury described as the adventures of a stoner werewolf, and as a fan of both of those groups, I want to watch Jungle Fury.

That's pretty accurate. The stoner werewolf also owns a pizza parlor!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Of course he does. Man's got a powerful case of the munchies once or twice a month.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

So you wanna start watching some post-MMPR Power Rangers:

• RPM. As usual, the threat of permanent cancellation gets a writing team off their asses for once. Watch please.
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Sentai only. They're skipping this to make Dino Charge, which is either a godsend or a travesty because Go-Busters was amazing and genre-defying, and a modern Saban version could probably only gently caress it up. Definitely track down subs for this.

One of the eeriest things is that Go-Busters could be directly adapted and turned into a straight sequel to RPM. Civilization begins to reexpand, remnants of the big bad turns into a computer virus, and the design aesthetic of Dr. K continue onwards. It would transition beautifully.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
So, just finished Dairanger recently, so I've finally got something to compare Zyuranger to. Overall, I'd say that Dairanger is the better series by a fairly healthy margin, though Zyuranger certainly had its moments. For anyone new to Sentai who hasn't seen these series, beware - spoilers ahead.

Probably the best part about Dairanger is the relative lack of MOTW episodes, though the few in the series (which are mostly early on) are weaker than the Zyu MOTW episodes. I loved the character focused subplots, and thought they were written pretty well with a few exceptions. For one, poor Kazu is given fairly little to do, and his subplot is more about introducing Kameo than anything else. It's a shame, really, because Kazu could have been a really interesting character. I feel like Rin also isn't really allowed to shine, as her subplot is more about Kou and his mother than it is about her. The fact that the one female ranger would inevitably end up being the one who helps out the little kid strikes me as sexist. What's worse is that the Mei episodes of Zyuranger were some of the best of the series, and the one time Rin really got the spotlight all on her own - when she is searching for the Tenpou jewels early on - is one of the better story arcs of the series. Rin definitely should have been highlighted more than she was. At least Kazu and Rin aren't entirely two-dimensional like Boi and Dan were, I guess.

The Daigo/Kujaku stuff gets as much screentime as Kou and his mom, but it kinda fell flat for me, at least as a way to learn more about Daigo. Kujaku is a far more interesting character, and her face-offs with Gara are some of the best material in the whole season. I would have almost rather them downplayed the Daigo part and let Kujaku carry her episodes on her own. Also, for being the second-in-command (or is it Shouji?), Daigo is pretty drat quick to fly off the handle. Goushi was the second-in-command in Zyuranger, and I found myself sometimes wishing that he was the leader instead of Geki, as he often came across as more practical and wise than any of the others. Not so at all with Daigo, his obsessiveness and selfishness nearly gets the others killed on more than a few occasions.

Which leads me to my three favorite subplots - Shouji's, Ryou's and Kou's. Shouji was probably my favorite character of the whole bunch, and his episodes with the three Gorma rejects were nice little diversions and also showed a lot of Shouji's character. Ryou and Jin make really interesting adversaries and I love that a sort of samurai friendship ended up forming. Jin's final moment was also awesome.

The highlight of all the series subplots is probably the stuff with Kou. All the screaming and tears got a little annoying, but the resolution is fantastic, as are the plot twists. Akomaru makes a drat good adversary for Kou as well. For me, it's right up there with the Geki/Burai subplot, although I think I prefer that one just a little bit due as much to nostalgia as anything else.

I think where Dairanger really elevates itself above Zyuranger is in the conclusion arc. Zyuranger's started off great with Kai, but ultimately just kind of faded out instead of ending with a bang. The last couple of episodes were disappointments. Dairanger's, on the other hand, consistently builds and just gets better and better. Kaku's turn and noble death were awesome, as was the fight where the Dairangers had to make do without their powers. There are really only two slip-ups for me in the conclusion - for one, Kameo and Kou are not given enough to do, and secondly, the "Gorma made out of clay" thing is stupid and makes little sense. The rest of it is aces, though - even the goofy finale episode with the grandkids. After the really sad parting of the five heroes, I felt the series had earned that lighthearted little capper.

I also thought Shadam was a much better main adversary than Bandora. She's funny and definitely menacing enough, but Shadam comes across as much more formidable and evil. I like that he's not outed as the main adversary at the beginning of the series - rather, he grows into the role. It's much more interesting that way.

I've already started Jetman as my next series, hoping that one manages to be even better than Dairanger! It sure is off to a solid start.

Your Sledgehammer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 27, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The best part of the Gouma generals being weird-rear end clay dolls is Shadam's horror when he discovers he's one as well. Motherfucking puppetmaster replaced his Emperor and his associates with them... and himself? :newlol:

It makes it kind of tragic in a way. The Dai tribe is gone, with a Gouma resurrecting them to fight off the remnants of his own people because some rear end in a top hat 10,000 years ago refused to let go of his hatred. There's no one left other than Doushi Kaku who even fought in that war, but it just won't end.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Yeah, I rather liked the pseudo-Taoist "moral of the story" that Kaku explained towards the end. I see what you're saying about the clay thing (and it is kinda funny and tragic in a way), but it was just one plot twist too many for me, and one that wasn't nearly as well developed and paid off as the others. The conclusion would have functioned just fine without it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I've already started Jetman as my next series, hoping that one manages to be even better than Dairanger! It sure is off to a solid start.

Just started watching that after reading it was Saban's favorite series. Probably the most fun experience watching Sentai and/or Power Rangers I've ever had.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, I rather liked the pseudo-Taoist "moral of the story" that Kaku explained towards the end. I see what you're saying about the clay thing (and it is kinda funny and tragic in a way), but it was just one plot twist too many for me, and one that wasn't nearly as well developed and paid off as the others. The conclusion would have functioned just fine without it.

I can't quite get a grasp on what Dairanger was trying to do. It was still a good show, and your points about Daigo are pretty on the nose. He was extremely hot-headed and frequently ran off to do his own thing, which usually involved wearing fingerless gloves and screaming "Kujakuuuuuu!" For the first dozen episodes or so, I couldn't remember anyone's names and just referred to him as Serial Killer, because he had this tendancy to glare silently at people for no reason, then would storm off to go work in a pet shop in an attempt to appear human.

Ah, the heady days when the writers kinda forgot about Ryou and Rin and just wrote about the Bro Squad of Kazu, Shouji, and Daigo :allears:

e: really, Gekiranger takes nearly all the themes from Dairanger and does them all better. Dairanger is still fun, it just meandered and felt like they didn't know what they were doing for the majority of it, so plot twists surprised even the production staff.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 27, 2014

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Just started watching that after reading it was Saban's favorite series. Probably the most fun experience watching Sentai and/or Power Rangers I've ever had.

Good to hear! So far, I'm three episodes in, and I'd say it's already off to a better start than either Zyuranger or Dairanger. I like that the team isn't fully formed for the first few episodes, and I can already tell that the Gai/Ryu rivalry is going to be pretty fantastic. I also like that Ryu is the only trained warrior, and the rest are just random people who got hit by the birdonic waves...makes for a much more interesting team dynamic.

I can't quite get a grasp on what Dairanger was trying to do. It was still a good show, and your points about Daigo are pretty on the nose. He was extremely hot-headed and frequently ran off to do his own thing, which usually involved wearing fingerless gloves and screaming "Kujakuuuuuu!" For the first dozen episodes or so, I couldn't remember anyone's names and just referred to him as Serial Killer, because he had this tendancy to glare silently at people for no reason, then would storm off to go work in a pet shop in an attempt to appear human.

Ah, the heady days when the writers kinda forgot about Ryou and Rin and just wrote about the Bro Squad of Kazu, Shouji, and Daigo :allears:

e: really, Gekiranger takes nearly all the themes from Dairanger and does them all better. Dairanger is still fun, it just meandered and felt like they didn't know what they were doing for the majority of it, so plot twists surprised even the production staff.

I may have to give Gekiranger a shot at some point. Dairanger really is kind of inconsistent now that you mention it, at least for the first handful of episodes. I feel like it doesn't really get rolling until Kou gets introduced, and I almost gave it up before then. That said, I think the rousing conclusion ends up making up for the slow start, and there were some things they did at the beginning that I liked that ended up being abandoned. The Gouma-monsters-as-people thing, for instance. In the first 10 or so episodes, the Gouma monster always has a human form. They could have done some really cool things with that, but it got totally dropped. There were also some interesting character relationships early on that were hinted at, but never ended up turning into anything. Kazu and Shouji are good friends, but you wouldn't know it if you watched only the later episodes. Likewise, the show sort of toyed with the idea of pairing up Rin with Ryou or Shouji, but that never amounts to anything either.

When I was nearing the end of Zyuranger, I poked around on Youtube looking at Dairanger clips to get a feel for the show, since I knew I'd be watching it next. The most intriguing one I came across was arguably the most famous moment of the series, that awesome suitless roll call they do in one of the last few episodes. The characters were all dressed so differently (especially compared to Zyuranger's similar looking tribal garb that everyone wore), and I had been hearing so much about how each character was fleshed out and given their own story, that I incorrectly ended up assuming that the team relationship was much more businesslike and less of a close friendship/family sort of situation that was present in Zyuranger. I thought that we'd see each character going along in their own life, and interacting with their own cast of side characters, and that they'd only meet up with the other team members when it was time to fight. I was understandably pumped about this prospect, and I'm sure my preconceived notions played into some of the disappointment I had in the first few episodes. From the time that they finally get Dairen'oh to the introduction of Kou is a pretty abysmal 9 or 10 episode stretch, and it's easily the worst part of the series, I'd say. After Kou's intro arc, though, the series really hits its stride and stays consistently good and occasionally outstanding all the way through the end.

In both series I've watched so far, the 6th hero is underutilized and is never treated like a full member of the team, which is bizarre to someone whose only experience of a 6th hero up to now was Tommy Oliver. Tommy became very nearly the prime focus shortly after his introduction, and was made the leader in short order, but with Burai and Kou, they are given an introduction arc, get to play a part in a big mid-season story, and then mostly sit on the sidelines until the end.

Seeing the series that the first few seasons of PR were based on only makes some of Saban's decisions more baffling. They really lucked out with the Kibaranger costume fitting in pretty well with the Zyuranger costumes. I don't get why the "Thunderzord" upgrade didn't also involve a costume change - the Dairanger suits look outstanding and it only would have meant that Bandai would have more toys to sell.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Speaking of Dairanger, there is an episode of Akibaranger you will adore. I caught it immediately after finishing Dairanger and it just blew my mind how much love they poured into it. They even had Rin's awful idol song, it's incredible.

And yeah, Shouji and Kazu are best friends forever...

...or at least for eighteen more years.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I forgot that I watched Akibaranger season 1! It's even funnier now that I have watched more Sentai.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Speaking of Dairanger, there is an episode of Akibaranger you will adore. I caught it immediately after finishing Dairanger and it just blew my mind how much love they poured into it. They even had Rin's awful idol song, it's incredible.

And yeah, Shouji and Kazu are best friends forever...

...or at least for eighteen more years.

He brought his own ranger key to the set. He detailed it himself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dairanger really is kind of inconsistent now that you mention it, at least for the first handful of episodes. I feel like it doesn't really get rolling until Kou gets introduced, and I almost gave it up before then.
I tried watching Dairanger and gave up on episode 4 because I couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters and nothing seemed to make any sense to me. I may have to try watching it again if it gets better, because as it is it's baffled me for ages how everyone praised Dairanger and I couldn't get into it at all.

quote:

I don't get why the "Thunderzord" upgrade didn't also involve a costume change - the Dairanger suits look outstanding and it only would have meant that Bandai would have more toys to sell.

From what I heard it's that Saban said the Zyu suits were too iconic to change, and since the movie was coming up they wanted to keep them for that (weird movie changes to the suits aside, they're still the Zyu suits). They kind of held out as long as they could but I would assume that either they were cool with changing the suits but wanted to wait until after the movie to do it, or realized that shooting their own original footage would cost more than just buying the Sentai footage, not to mention the contrived explanations they'd have to go through to explain why they got different Zords every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

I don't get why the "Thunderzord" upgrade didn't also involve a costume change - the Dairanger suits look outstanding and it only would have meant that Bandai would have more toys to sell.

As said above, it was partly because Saban was worried the first gen suits were too at the time. The other thing I would say largely contributed though was an uncertainty as to whether or not fans would continue to care if they weren't 'The Mighty Moprhin' Power Rangers'. Saban had spent years trying to get the sentai franchise state side in some fashion or another, and even with the rampant success of MMPR's first season, they weren't willing to yet risk the 'new team per season' format that sentai, in case it killed off interest, so they compromised in various ways. In Space, even if relying on characters from a previous season, was also the first were none of the first generation rangers, or anyone who'd worn a dino themed outfit, were part of the regular cast at any part, and given it had saved Power Rangers rating wise, proved that fan interest didn't necessarily rely on it being the originals. Lost Galaxy then brought this to full fruition by starting with a whole new cast, though it still had some carry over elements just in case, like Bulk and the Professor (even if sorely underused), the Astro Megaship, Alpha, etc. Whilst Lost Galaxy saw a subsequent downturn and a very troubled schedule, it nevertheless proved decently successful, and so Lightspeed Rescue without any connections save for minor aesthetics and the one crossover episode. They basically took their time about being convinced this sort of thing could be done.