Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Chasiubao posted:

Pro: TAS Catwoman skin is :3:

Con: Catwoman is an unfun, garbage character to play as.

I don't know what it is about Catwoman I hate. Maybe the lack of gadget variety, maybe the climbing aspect, maybe the fact her ground takedowns take so much longer than Batman's and I always get hit because I can't time them right... I'll fully admit that I hate playing Catwoman because I'm bad at playing Catwoman. However it's not even that she's different from Batman. I liked playing as Robin, and he plays different from Batman, although not ENTIRELY, I guess. Half of Robin's gadgets were the same as Batman's, so maybe it wasn't as steep a learning curve.

Though yeah, the TAS skins are all great, Catwoman included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Catwoman's predator sections were poo poo because she has no good movement options and also lacks the fun toys and variety of batman, but I don't understand what problem people have with her combat sections, I found her barrels of fun, she attacks way faster than anyone else and has great crowd control options.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Catwoman's predator sections were poo poo because she has no good movement options and also lacks the fun toys and variety of batman, but I don't understand what problem people have with her combat sections, I found her barrels of fun, she attacks way faster than anyone else and has great crowd control options.
Yup. Fighting a bunch of guys at one time with Catwoman is really fun, because she just flies. Hammering her into Batman predator situations never works as well as I'm sure they would have liked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"I'll see this one wheeled into Blackgate on a gurney. :mad:"

Jesus christ Bats, calm the gently caress down!

But...I feel guilty for enjoying Ezio Redfield over Kevin Connory's voice acting. The rougher, angrier Batman seems to gel much better with the image of the character I have in my head I guess.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

But...I feel guilty for enjoying Ezio Redfield over Kevin Connory's voice acting. The rougher, angrier Batman seems to gel much better with the image of the character I have in my head I guess.

I kinda preferred both Sonic the Bathog and the Joelker over Conroy and Hamill. Don't get me wrong, I love their performances but it was refreshing getting some new talent after hearing them for so long.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

poptart_fairy posted:

Mr. Freeze orchestrated an attack that resulted in his wine cellar being set on fire.

It's gone beyond being personal now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

kalonZombie posted:

Con: Catwoman is an unfun, garbage character to play as.

I don't know what it is about Catwoman I hate. Maybe the lack of gadget variety, maybe the climbing aspect, maybe the fact her ground takedowns take so much longer than Batman's and I always get hit because I can't time them right... I'll fully admit that I hate playing Catwoman because I'm bad at playing Catwoman. However it's not even that she's different from Batman. I liked playing as Robin, and he plays different from Batman, although not ENTIRELY, I guess. Half of Robin's gadgets were the same as Batman's, so maybe it wasn't as steep a learning curve.

Though yeah, the TAS skins are all great, Catwoman included.

khwarezm posted:

Catwoman's ability to run silently lets you absolutely wreck almost all of the predator sections, with the exception of Top of the World and arguably end of the line, with their limited space and open sightlines, respectively. EOTW Extreme is in particular controller-breakingly frustrating to get 3 medals on as catwoman. I also don't mind combat as catwoman- I'm comfortable focusing on a combination of basic hits, dodges and counters that builds up to a ridiculously high number, and her speed makes that easy. I'll never get three medals on Joker's Carnival with her, though.

The real pain of the catwoman content is how freaking sexist the writing is.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

God dammit. I can't get above a 9 variation bonus in City, and can't remember more then 10. I'm trying to remember all the various things I need to do.

Strike
Counter
Evade
Cape Stun
The four special moves for having a combo string
Ground takedown
Ultra Cape Stun
???
???

What are the two I'm missing?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
You're missing Aerial Attack and Beatdown. Also all the quick-fire gadgets.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 26, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

The real pain of the catwoman content is how freaking sexist the writing is.
I don't think there's a single line of dialogue about any female character in the batman mythos that wasn't "I'm unna rape that bitch" which, it's a city of criminals but geez. Save some of that hate and lust for Batman. You don't want to have your way with Batman??

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

You don't want to have your way with Batman??

Please make this the new thread title.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think there's a single line of dialogue about any female character in the batman mythos that wasn't "I'm unna rape that bitch" which, it's a city of criminals but geez. Save some of that hate and lust for Batman. You don't want to have your way with Batman??

God, homoerotic tension between Batman and, say, the Arkhamverse Riddler or Pengin would be the most hilarious thing ever, if they could avoid the heavy taint of rape and sexual violence (they probably can't). I love the idea of goons awkwardly hitting on Batman as he beats the stuffing out of them, or Cobblepot sounding incredibly sexually repressed as he talks about wanting to put Bruce Wayne in a cage on display.

Catwoman's a character fully capable of agency and interesting writing when in good hands, which is what makes her misuse even more frustrating. I hate Catwoman being AC's Rouge the Bat, but I can comprehend the rationale for making a "sexy" character, however distasteful or poorly done I might find it. Leave the horrible "sexy" stuff to Poison Ivy- she has no other interesting or redeeming features, so at least there it'd be no great loss (if still grating). It's the unceasing rape context, on top of the cheap sexual exploitation, that makes me so unhappy with one part of what was otherwise an excellent game.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 26, 2014

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

God, homoerotic tension between Batman and, say, the Arkhamverse Riddler or Pengin would be the most hilarious thing ever, if they could avoid the heavy taint of rape and sexual violence (they probably can't). I love the idea of goons awkwardly hitting on Batman as he beats the stuffing out of them, or Cobblepot sounding incredibly sexually repressed as he talks about wanting to put Bruce Wayne in a cage on display.

This is too funny not to exist

Quick, someone with talent poorly dub in new lines over all of his AC cutscenes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Potential goon lines:

"hey, Batman! Nice outfit! It really shows off your, um...nevermind" *takes swing, gets countered*

"I'll send flowers to your hospital room, Bat!" *his gun is disassembled, he gets punched*

"I bet your momma warned you about guys like me!" *capestunned, beatdown combo, interrupted into instant takedown that breaks both his arms. A single tear runs down Batman's face as he turns to face the other mincing goons vying for his attention*

Of course, Batman won't fall for any of the Arkhamverse characters. It's already confirmed that his sole love interest in Arkham Knight is the Batmobile.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 26, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

"Put your crotch in my face and pound me in the balls, Batman!" - goon laying stunned on the ground who you very suddenly do NOT want to do a ground takedown on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Discendo Vox posted:

I love the idea of goons awkwardly hitting on Batman as he beats the stuffing out of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kA0dycScs0

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I'm shaking with rage after watching this. Couldn't you have at least posted a trigger warning?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Catwoman's a character fully capable of agency and interesting writing when in good hands, which is what makes her misuse even more frustrating. I hate Catwoman being AC's Rouge the Bat, but I can comprehend the rationale for making a "sexy" character, however distasteful or poorly done I might find it. Leave the horrible "sexy" stuff to Poison Ivy- she has no other interesting or redeeming features, so at least there it'd be no great loss (if still grating). It's the unceasing rape context, on top of the cheap sexual exploitation, that makes me so unhappy with one part of what was otherwise an excellent game.

Poison Ivy can be interesting when she is written as forcing Batman to face representation of a problem which is different from 'criminals breaking into banks.' At her best she's written as an exaggerated eco-terrorist legitimately more interested in protecting and defending plantlife and nature than she is in protecting humanity. Ra's kind of goes into this territory sometimes too but from a more human perspective. Forcing Batman to confront other kinds of problems can lead to positive or interesting stories where Bruce Wayne can actually do something positive and forward-thinking even if he has to oppose Poison Ivy's particular way of doing things, which is less than he can do against classic criminals because Joker's gotta break his rear end out of prison in time for this month's story.

Of course 99% of the time she's written as Hot Green Lady Who Makes Out With People so, y'know.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I'm aware of the environmental angle, I've just never seen it fit into the broader themes of the batman mythos as well. Poison Ivy doesn't hit any of the classic elements of Madness, Crime, or The City like the best Batman villains do. There's no parallel or inversion with what Batman represents-she's just a generic environmental terrorist, just with a lack of clothes. As such, it's really hard to giver her internal conflict or motivation more than "I love plants, men/humans are pigs, seduce/destroy/get beaten up". If she were ever written as a female Ra's with an environmental focus and maybe an ounce of sympathy or rationality, that'd be one thing. But the trend almost from her inception was to make her mindset inhuman-often literally.

I guess we both want the same thing here, but we also both know it's not gonna happen. Are there any female characters in batman that comics creators and their fans haven't eventually ruined?

DrNutt posted:

I'm shaking with rage after watching this. Couldn't you have at least posted a trigger warning?

Admit it- that's not rage. You've just seen your fanfiction brought to life by the sultry tones of Mark Hamill.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Crappy Jack posted:

"Put your crotch in my face and pound me in the balls, Batman!" - goon laying stunned on the ground who you very suddenly do NOT want to do a ground takedown on.

I can only hear this as John DiMaggio.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You're missing Aerial Attack and Beatdown. Also all the quick-fire gadgets.

The quick-fire gadgets actually don't count! They get their own category that doesn't count towards the trophy, so you can pretty much ignore them.

Though why would you, because not using quickfire gadgets in an Arkham game is like playing a Platinum Games game by just spamming the light attack button.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can only hear this as John DiMaggio.

That's weird, because John DiMaggio isn't in any of these games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

myname_isdoug posted:

That's weird, because John DiMaggio isn't in any of these games.

Yes he is, he voices a bunch of the random thugs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Yes he is, he voices a bunch of the random thugs.

Uncredited, to be fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Uncredited, to be fair.

Yeah, but that's pretty common for voice actors since the union stuff is so weird.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
Weird, I've never heard a thug I thought sounded like DiMaggio and I didn't see an Arkham credit on IMDB. Whatevs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You must not know what John DiMaggio sounds like because every other thug in the Arkham series sounds like Jake the Dog.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, drop Batman into any fight anywhere in any game. There is a 99% chance you will be pushing Bender's poo poo in during that fight.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
Well, I still don't think it sounds like him, but maybe he has more range within the "big Jersey guy" character than I thought.

Just kinda weird that the only places I can find that say DiMaggio definitely did voices in the game are this thread, TVTropes, and Kotaku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

myname_isdoug posted:

Well, I still don't think it sounds like him, but maybe he has more range within the "big Jersey guy" character than I thought.

Just kinda weird that the only places I can find that say DiMaggio definitely did voices in the game are this thread, TVTropes, and Kotaku.

Because DiMaggio, like many voice actors, works uncredited on a number of smaller roles. It is the only way to get around specific union pay scale issues. His voice is incredibly distinctive however and easily recognized.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I've said this before, but the absolute best moment for DiMaggio was when he played a thug mimicking the Joker and Harley. It was certainly a reference to him playing the Joker in Under the Red Hood, although he sounded very different when he was imitating Mark Hamill as opposed to doing his own spin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

I guess we both want the same thing here, but we also both know it's not gonna happen. Are there any female characters in batman that comics creators and their fans haven't eventually ruined?
The New-52 did a good job of mucking up a few of the better ones. I know Amanda Weller became a standard comic-book supermodel.

Batwoman maybe? I dunno.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You either hear John Dimaggio or Steven Blum. Though Blum is much more obvious. And yes you'll always hear Dimaggio. He sorta sounds like jake/marcus fenix when he's one of the random goons.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The New-52 did a good job of mucking up a few of the better ones. I know Amanda Weller became a standard comic-book supermodel.

Batwoman maybe? I dunno.

The main writers for Batwoman, an open lesbian, quit in protest of DC's refusal to let her get married on-page.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Wasn't that because DC just hate marriage in general?

Still dumb, of course.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Speaking of New 52, I've been wondering if Arkham Knight might have Barbara Gordon appear as Batgirl instead of Oracle. Personally I'm still not quite sure what to think about DC's decision to get rid of Oracle and restore Barbara as Batgirl, but I do know it would be pretty cool to be able to kick rear end as Batgirl even if it's only in challenge rooms or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OH NO MAN posted:

Speaking of New 52, I've been wondering if Arkham Knight might have Barbara Gordon appear as Batgirl instead of Oracle. Personally I'm still not quite sure what to think about DC's decision to get rid of Oracle and restore Barbara as Batgirl, but I do know it would be pretty cool to be able to kick rear end as Batgirl even if it's only in challenge rooms or whatever.

Oracle is already confirmed to be in the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh. Well. That's what I get for not paying much attention to the pre-release stuff, I guess.

Still, I wouldn't mind if she (Batgirl, that is - I don't think the world is ready for wheelchair-based stealth rooms) were playable in challenge rooms or DLC or something.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 27, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oracle in a wheelchair in stealth, swinging between predator points, would be pretty hilarious, if a bit non-PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

OH NO MAN posted:

I would be all for that, especially if we get skins for all the other Batgirls too. Cass would save money on voice acting too!

• Locked thread