Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
Yeah, this is the first case I guessed right too. I was almost swayed by the killer but the brilliant lady who did the ven diagram thing at the end showing the killer in the center swayed me back to my original guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I got it right too, albeit only just. When she started crying I very nearly considered the employee lady instead and couldn't make up my mind between them for the longest time. The glut of evidence for the secretary beforehand was what kept me from completely disregarding her, though. The hairpin that was found by Hyunmoo near the end, and the venn diagram sealed it, yeah.

Surprised so many people voted for Jinho at the end though.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Dragonatrix posted:

I got it right too, albeit only just. When she started crying I very nearly considered the employee lady instead and couldn't make up my mind between them for the longest time. The glut of evidence for the secretary beforehand was what kept me from completely disregarding her, though. The hairpin that was found by Hyunmoo near the end, and the venn diagram sealed it, yeah.

Surprised so many people voted for Jinho at the end though.

It's not really suprising when the detective did it a few other were like 'welp', trust an expert.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
First correct answer for me, though my logic was wrong.

When Jang pulled the secretary aside on the CCTV I thought she was bribing the secretary to kill the victim. I thought the lighter came from Jang, who got it from the same club that she kept taking the other guy to.

Thought it was funny the detective got it wrong, but not surprising. It's not like during his real cases there's producers writing a story where everyone's suspicious and planting red herrings trying to point the target on 5 other people.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Is broadcaster the Korean term for celebrity? Just finished season 2 of the Genius, drat I was happy to see Sangmin win but not sure if they deserved it. The Quattro match was lame, the password guessing was amazing though it would've blown my mind if Yohwan had been correct when they made their first guess, given the bizarre questions.

e: Here's a fun video of a day in the life of Jinho, also featuring Yohwan, Doohee, Hongchul, and the driver from the first episode of Crime Scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nU_IoWEAhQ

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 20, 2014

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Episode 7 of the now streamlined Crime Scene is now subbed.

Guess we can spoiler everything now that the criminal is revealed in one episode?

Episode 7: Big holy crap to that phone in the poster, that was a hilarious reveal. Also big ups to the production team, who eliminated the fat and extended the episode by 20 minutes to still keep all that good twisty finger-pointing meat in the show.

For those curious about the differences between the two episode and one episode format: Combined the evidence presentation and open questioning session into one, eliminated the mid-show criminal guess and eliminated all the recapping. They also extended the episode. Now instead of two 75 minute episodes, it's one 95 minute crime.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 26, 2014

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Much better format, this ep was really fun.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Loved that the cast tore that prison apart looking for clues. They're really getting better at looking through everything. Makes sense that a prison would have a lot of hidden poo poo, hilariously they still missed a lot of stuff on their first pass through.

Teek fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I got it right mainly because I noticed the glow when they turned off the lights. The camera kinda focused on it tho :shobon:
I was just so happy to see Sunggyu again (even though he didn't play that big a part in the investigation)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
So much better this way. Hope it has the viewer numbers to continue until they feel it's had enough for a break. Hope to see this format spread to countries where there are people and the media mentality to make something this quality possible without ruining it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Yeah the one episode format works so much better. Eliminated most of the fat and we just get a solid 90 minutes of twists and revelations.

It's pretty clear at this point that Ji-Yoon and Jin-Ho are the deductive stars of the game. If I were on the show, I'd just side with whoever they picked, which is why this one ended up being so tense.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Crime Scene synopsis (spoiler?): It's either Jinho, Jiyoon, or whoever they're both accusing :v:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'll be honest, I thought it was Sunggyu, his alibi seemed so flimsy and strange.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Such a good episode. Seeing Sunggyu again was cool. Also the producers are getting better at giving everyone motives and weapons without it being contrived. I guess it helps that the setting was a prison.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I think the key to this game is not putting it into a real world setting at all but working out what producers intended to be evidence, alibis, or red herrings. Sunggyu's alibi was dumb but it was clear they intended the (lol) broken mirror shards in the victim's room to be his alibi

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Jinho was so hilariously bad this episode, goddamn.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

Jinho was so hilariously bad this episode, goddamn.

I don't see how. He figured out who the killer was, and managed to completely sway Yoonji and nearly convince Sunggyu. It's not his fault that the Lawyer and Hyunmoo were being dense about the lifer having no opportunity. I mean seriously how was he even supposed to know where the victim would be?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Are spoilers really necessary? I feel like anyone reading this page in the thread has already watched the episode, and if they haven't it's entirely pointless because there's just big black boxes. Actually though if somebody hasn't watched it and is reading this reply or something

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched it yet, but I click this thread in my compulsion to keep all the threads I read up to date.

I really shouldn't read the thread though.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Are spoilers really necessary? I feel like anyone reading this page in the thread has already watched the episode, and if they haven't it's entirely pointless because there's just big black boxes. Actually though if somebody hasn't watched it and is reading this reply or something

People have flipped over Running Man spoilers before. Running Man! They're just doing funny stuff!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I click this thread in my compulsion to keep all the threads I read up to date.

I really shouldn't read the thread though.

Same. I haven't even started on the series yet. I was going to watch it with a friend but she wanted to binge through The Genius first. I will still hover over every black bar and ogle at the spoilers like an idiot though. I don't care if you put them in plain sight. I have no idea what you're talking about, actually.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
That was a good episode. I think my only problem with it was that there was no way to actually deduce the murder weapon without it feeling like a huge stretch. If someone had said "The murder weapon is this" and then laid out what ended up being the solution, nobody would have believed them at all.

I had actually suspected that the reason they showed how dark it was served the purpose to imply that the murderer couldn't see and murdered the wrong prisoner. I thought the gangster was the real target and they knocked him out and killed the subordinate in the confusion. I think it was more interesting the way it went with the crayon, however.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Same. I haven't even started on the series yet. I was going to watch it with a friend but she wanted to binge through The Genius first. I will still hover over every black bar and ogle at the spoilers like an idiot though. I don't care if you put them in plain sight. I have no idea what you're talking about, actually.
Man, and I thought so hard if you were being sarcastic or not on that post and ended up figuring I was doing good with the spoilertags :negative:

Zythrst posted:

I don't see how. He figured out who the killer was, and managed to completely sway Yoonji and nearly convince Sunggyu. It's not his fault that the Lawyer and Hyunmoo were being dense about the lifer having no opportunity. I mean seriously how was he even supposed to know where the victim would be?

I don't think they were being dense, Jinho had no good arguments against Jiyoon other than the strong motive. But then again he had a pretty good motive too. He was grasping hard at straws with stuff like the bible being the weapon.

But the worst (hilarious) part is how much he was spazzing around, it was worse than the driver in the first case.

Anyway this was a really fun episode.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
This show is a murder mystery. A huge chunk of the fun is speculating as they go, even if the killer is revealed in the same ep.
I usually know a new episode is up by checking this thread. It would be fair to at least tag the first few posts after a new one comes out. Why are spoiler tags even an issue?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I adore the effort that went into the sudden format change. Felt the setting was weaker than the other mysteries though, the guests weren't that great either. I was expecting Sunggyu to have more presence.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Tonfa posted:

I adore the effort that went into the sudden format change. Felt the setting was weaker than the other mysteries though, the guests weren't that great either. I was expecting Sunggyu to have more presence.

He was kind of like that on The Genius to start out, I think he needs to settle into a comfort zone with a program before he's effective.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

This show is tough to have guests on because there is definitely a learning curve. I'm expecting every first time guest to come off as a dim wit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I agreed with Jinho that it was Larceny this ep. There was a lot of evidence against Jinho but he never left his cell all day, so it was silly to focus on him quite that much... I mean, he knew nothing about the upcoming blackout. The prior knowledge pointed to Pickpocket and Larceny, which is probably why they made the weapon so hard to find on Larceny, because it was really narrowed down by that. But the fact that Larceny knew the blackout was coming and was in the fight where the guard lost the taser was pretty huge evidence against her just the same.

I think Jinho focused a bit too hard on building alliances and not enough time on clearing himself. But he was right, soo... you can't say he was that bad. That's what makes this game more interesting than I'd expect it to be, the way convincing other people plays such a big part.

CHiRAL posted:

I got it right mainly because I noticed the glow when they turned off the lights. The camera kinda focused on it tho :shobon:
I was just so happy to see Sunggyu again (even though he didn't play that big a part in the investigation)

My favorite Sunggyu moment was when he said a) only the criminal can lie, b) someone stole the taser, c) the pickpocket says he didn't do it. If the pickpocket did do it, that would be a really unique way to pinpoint the criminal: catch them in a random lie about something, and since only the criminal can lie, case closed, even if you have not a single clue what the motive or the weapon was.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean, really, they were saying Lifer wandered out during a blackout he didn't know was coming, and then successfully killed a guy in the pitch dark, even though the victim wasn't even in his own cell at the time. It makes no sense, but somehow that folded book tricked everyone, haha.

Two more random asides:
lol the real phone being in the poster and nobody being able to tell
NS looked so cute with that boy haircut :shobon:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Superrodan posted:

I had actually suspected that the reason they showed how dark it was served the purpose to imply that the murderer couldn't see and murdered the wrong prisoner. I thought the gangster was the real target and they knocked him out and killed the subordinate in the confusion. I think it was more interesting the way it went with the crayon, however.

Same. This is why I was convinced it was the larcenist; she kept saying that the boss had put the liquor in her cell, so I figured she had meant to kill him.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So I take it Bumdidlyumptius S2 vids are going to stay down? Is there another subtitled set of videos for S2 anywhere?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So I take it Bumdidlyumptius S2 vids are going to stay down? Is there another subtitled set of videos for S2 anywhere?

She still has them on Dailymotion. http://bxrme.tumblr.com/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Thanks we started watching it and I already kind of regret not stopping at S1. They seemed to trade off a likable cast from top to bottom for better players and sneakier games. I feel like strategically adding Jinho and Sangmin creates interesting situations in the game, but it might just be to preserve some sense of continuity and likability among fans. Did I mention how unlikable half of this cast is off the bat?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Thanks we started watching it and I already kind of regret not stopping at S1. They seemed to trade off a likable cast from top to bottom for better players and sneakier games. I feel like strategically adding Jinho and Sangmin creates interesting situations in the game, but it might just be to preserve some sense of continuity and likability among fans. Did I mention how unlikable half of this cast is off the bat?

I don't think anyone really becomes any more likeable as the season continues

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if anything they get much, much worse.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Most of the season 2 cast aren't as memorable as the season 1 cast as well. I can easily recall Sunggyu, Poong, Kyungran, Jungmoon, Changyeop, Kim Gura, and simple (only name I can't remember).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jimmy Cha, the poker player, right? That guy was neat

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Uncle Jimmy Cha Minsoo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Every time I see a new post in this thread I think the new episode is up, now I'm part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Part of the reason I liked this game is that elements of Korean culture (particularly among the upper class) allows the show to avoid the pitfalls of such a game if it were set in America- dickbag players, bad attitudes, fighting, cursing etc. S2 is a lot more like we'd expect if a US producer selected a cast. Can this show ever top Sunggyu's letter(s) to Sangmin? It has certainly peaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvS5_mNGFk&t=40s

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 3, 2014