Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kinetica posted:

Man, all of these well thought out factories makes my achievement in not having material shortages pale in comparison.

How do you guys normally deal with the larger biter bases? Clouds and clouds of poison capsules? I tried using explosive rockets and they seem kinda underwhelming.

Explosive rockets are only good when used from the car.

Poison capsules, shotgun + exoskeltons, or turret‐walking are the most effective at taking down bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Phobophilia posted:

Active provider chests. These are the least commonly used chests. As soon as an item goes into them, a logibot will run up to them and pull them out, and place them into a storage chest. They might be good for train stations, so they're immediately cleared out for the next cartload of items to come in.

I never knew this. Goddamn that explains SO MUCH. I need to use passive providers much more often.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Kinetica posted:

Man, all of these well thought out factories makes my achievement in not having material shortages pale in comparison.

How do you guys normally deal with the larger biter bases? Clouds and clouds of poison capsules? I tried using explosive rockets and they seem kinda underwhelming.

For the early/mid game, you walk turrets up into them in self-covering formations.
Late game is destroyer capsules by the swarm.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

One strategy I've heard of, but not tried, is to build a laser cluster safe zone, run up and aggro all of the biters, and then huck a bunch of distractors into the base. The distractors will be able to kill all the spawners while you benny-hill it back around your lasers.

Personally, I usually build a roboport with 100 construction bots, and then blueprint in some laser towers and walls right next to the base. It works well if you don't bite off more than you can chew, in which case you'd better have some backup defenses you can kite to.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Evilreaver posted:

If you're using express belts, I can't fathom any intermediate product except for wire ever backing up faster than it can be used by outputs (in an ideal balance situation like this calc calls for). Also, in the case of Speed3 for example, there are banks of '3.33 assemblers' and '0.08' assemblers, and I bet they could share a line comfortably :)

Plates, wires and green circuits back up. all the time for me. :shrug: anything with a cycle time below a second really (cogs are another common one)

But OK, I'll add them up. Maybe I can even have it do a bit of grouping for things exceeding capacity.

I have to admit, programming logistics optimizers kinda scratches the same itch the game itself does for me.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Kinetica posted:

If there is a situation that can't be solved by enough destroyer capsules, I've yet to encounter it.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Why does the game keep telling me one of my trains is missing construction robots :confused:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Factorio: Ozymandias was an Amateur

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Here is an album of some new screenshots of my ore processing, oil processing, solar farms, and some examples of how to set up properly functional railways. I may add some more descriptions if anyone cares.
http://imgur.com/a/QfbOU

The most important thing with using double rails is to leave a space between the rails. If you do not leave a space it is simply impossible to do proper signalling.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Grey Elephants posted:

Why does the game keep telling me one of my trains is missing construction robots :confused:

Your train is in range of a roboport and needs repairs but no construction bots are available to repair it (probably).

e:

Xel posted:

Here is an album of some new screenshots of my ore processing, oil processing, solar farms, and some examples of how to set up properly functional railways. I may add some more descriptions if anyone cares.
http://imgur.com/a/QfbOU

The most important thing with using double rails is to leave a space between the rails. If you do not leave a space it is simply impossible to do proper signalling.
Just like OpenTTD before pre-signals!

Also just like OpenTTD before pre-signals it's loving impossible to load balance a station :(
I'd also kill for having OpenTTD's "wait until fully loaded" and "unload all" orders.

BTW if you like factorio and don't know about OpenTTD for some reason, you're missing out.

Mrs. Wynand fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 26, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I moved the todo list for the calculator to github just btw: https://github.com/rubyruy/factorio-calc/issues

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Kinetica posted:

In the earliest stage, before you get full fledged Iron Man armor, I use clouds of poison capsules combined with regular non-explosive rockets (they do double damage to single targets but no splash damage) combined with a laser turret cluster to fall back to. Place turrets as close as possible (you only do this once, this isn't turret creeping), draw the already-existing biters into your turrets, use poison capsules on worms and rockets on biter nests. There's a little finesse involved in running into range, firing off as many rockets at one single nest as you can, and then running to the safety of your lasers. Before you have any powered armor you have to try to take as few hits as possible (fish don't replenish themselves, I think, so you soon run out of quick healing), once you get Mark I power armor and a forcefield you can take a strategic two-second mauling from the biters as you fire off rockets.

I may be the only person in this topic that actually uses rockets. They're awesome, they're just awesome at one specific thing. They're not as versatile as Distractor Capsules or as all-powerful as Destroyer capsules, but they're much quicker to craft and don't use up Advanced Circuits.

Now I want to talk about something I've never seen brought up. I don't know if this is an "exploit" or just a scrub's crutch, but it's an important factor. The player's ability to craft from his own inventory is slow compared to what even an Assembler I can manage, but it takes no power and produces no pollution. I like to always be crafting something because of this. It's possible to get all the way up to Blue science without ever generating any pollution from production, not that I'd ever do it. I always need more accumulators, solar panels, rockets, or poison capsules, so I generally try to be crafting them when I'm seeking out new resources or building a new outpost. You can also transport more items on foot this way, because items are considered "consumed" once you set multiples of something to craft, they stop taking up space in your inventory. With a bit of patience, you can set several thousand solar panels or whatever to craft, and you're effectively carrying tens of thousands of steel and copper above your normal inventory limit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

xarph posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Factorio: Ozymandias was an Amateur

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Factorio: Ozymandias thought big, we think bigger :v:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Assembler 1's craft at 0.5x speed compared to players, Assmb2's at 0.75, Assmb3's at 1.25, and I'd like to see you make Blue Science batteries by hand/without pollution :goonsay:

Every time I try to use that mass construction idea, I end up needing to make something specific halfway through and need to cancel the job, sometimes scattering all those materials all over the land-- or worse, the construction overflows inventory and I drop that thing I was building... somewhere. Probably lost forever.

Rockets offer very few benefits over an SMG+Pierce at the same tech level- The range is the same or very close, and while the SMG has a bit of trouble with Medium Biters and can't hurt Bigs, the Rocket is kinda expensive to use on mediums (WAY too expensive to use on Smalls) and still can't hurt Bigs effectively without very high tech upgrades. SMGs chew up nests without remorse or mercy, rockets do a pretty good job of killing spawners I guess.

It takes 5 rockets to kill a nest (1/20 of a stack of ammo) at full upgrade, it takes ~1.5 sec to kill a nest which is a little over one clip-- but you'll be more inclined to gun down biters rather than let drones/turrets handle them, as opposed to the rockets forcing you to place your shots.

Factorio: Look on my works, ye mighty, and compare!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Destroyers aren't that great until purple science upgrades, you're limited to 9 followers. That's just not enough dps.

On the other hand, I've fallen in love with Distractors. "Distractor" sounds uselessly defensive, but they're not, you can spam out dozens and hundreds of the things and slaughter massive nests.

Next game, I'll have a try on distractor spam/rockets to single target down nests.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evilreaver posted:

Assembler 1's craft at 0.5x speed compared to players, Assmb2's at 0.75, Assmb3's at 1.25, and I'd like to see you make Blue Science batteries by hand/without pollution :goonsay:

Just pick up the sulphuric acid and put it in the battery jeez its not that hard.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I skipped 10.0.1 but I just installed 10.0.2 and now my cargo wagons have 20 slots instead of 15, but all existing cars have the red X functionality of the chests and are defaulted to 15 open slots. So if you want to find all your train cars you can give them 33% more capacity.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

FISHMANPET posted:

I skipped 10.0.1 but I just installed 10.0.2 and now my cargo wagons have 20 slots instead of 15, but all existing cars have the red X functionality of the chests and are defaulted to 15 open slots. So if you want to find all your train cars you can give them 33% more capacity.

Can you properly save and load now?

And the shotguns/turrets are fixed back in 0.10.1 right?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Today I discovered that if I put an engine at both ends of the train, I can forego the loop at the end of the line. Only the engine at the front is producing smoke, so I'm assuming that's the only one powering the train.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Here is a 21,600 x 11,700 (27MB) map of my base. Made it with an autoit script to take the images and python script to combine them.

http://manastuff.com/map.jpg

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I've been trying to start a new game with large/rich everything, including biter colonies (don't want to run away with the game without having to work it a bit - plus the probably going to need all those purple eggs) - but it's really loving hard just to get off the ground, primarily because in 0.10.0 gun turrets are worthless. I keep trying to rush to lasers but I just can't get there fast enough :/

I'm honestly not even sure I could put up walls/gun turrets fast enough. What do you all do if you really need to start super fast?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Stick Insect posted:

Today I discovered that if I put an engine at both ends of the train, I can forego the loop at the end of the line. Only the engine at the front is producing smoke, so I'm assuming that's the only one powering the train.

Yeah I just discovered that too! Trains are more expensive but you can make do with waaay simpler station layouts, it's totally worth it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Stick Insect posted:

It also makes your train slower. Still easier, though.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

LordSaturn posted:

It also makes your train slower. Still easier, though.

Slower to accelerate - top speed is unaffected I believe. And basically it's just a matter of weight - you could probably compensate by having less wagons. But yeah, who cares, trains are plenty fast anyway. 3 wagons are too much for a full speed blue belt to load in most cases that I've experienced.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Have gun turrets been nerfed?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stick Insect posted:

You're also dragging the rear engine and losing a shitload of speed. It does save on loops though, so, tradeoffs v:v:v

You definitely lose a lot of acceleration and max speed.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man, I just got my save eaten. I had finally worked out a nice setup and it was going really well. :smith:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, if anyone was wondering, Robot Follower 20 (the max level) means you can have 134 followers.
Also the rocket defense graphic continues to be underwhelming, as well as the actual landing, becuase no extra biters attack. Also I don't even have a countdown to when the ship lands.

In other words, I researched all the things :tipshat:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I am personally ashamed of Goons and their apparent hate of Ro-Ro stations.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Overwined posted:

I am personally ashamed of Goons and their apparent hate of Ro-Ro stations.

There isn't much benefit to RoRo's since you can't load balance a station with multiple platforms. The whole point of a RoRo is that if you have a terminus the outgoing train keeps blocking incoming trains. But as is trains are already comitted to one platform only anyway.

e: not to mention openttd trains can turn on a dime...

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
This game is amazing, and scratches my Transport Tycoon itch nicely.

I only recently heard of this game though, and have not been following its development. What are the future plans of this game? How finished, roughly, is it? Once you have automated science pack 3 creation going there doesn't seem to be a lot to do, except grind out alien cores and eventually research rocket defense.
I realize it is in a "early access" type of state, and version 0.1, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is only 10% done.

Id love to see:
-Solar panels with more W generation per square
-Bigger accumulators
-An energy generation alternative to Steam and solar panels (where is the coal plant? The nuclear plant?)
-More resources (for example uranium, to fuel nuclear power plants and to be used in more advanced weapons/ammo)
-Something between the 10W and 750W personal generators
-A resource cost tweak so that various items have more "realistic" resource costs compared to their size (it seems a bit odd that a personal solar panel costs 5 solar panels)
-Rocket turrets
-Boss-type Biters

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Surely coal plants are steam plants?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

thehustler posted:

Surely coal plants are steam plants?

Nuclear plants are steam plants too; in fact most forms of electricity generation are ultimately just different ways to get heat to boil water to power steam turbines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well yeah, but it might be nice to have more advanced steam engines and boilers with greater capacity.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
How would you do nuclear power so it's not just "mine uranium, refine it, move it to plant"?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Well, powerplants usually (always?) use turbines instead of piston engines - but having them in the game would make the piston engine an annoying stopgap. Having stuff that is simply better without actually being different in any way is bad game design IMO. Burner inserters for example are pretty much deadweight in the item tree - I mean you can generate power right away, they are useful for maybe 20 seconds of game time if at all (I've not built them since the tutorial).

Solar on the other hand is not a straight up progression because it needs additional setup and accumulators and it often pays to keep a coal power backup - it doesn't just obsolete coal.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sam. posted:

How would you do nuclear power so it's not just "mine uranium, refine it, move it to plant"?

I made a post about that...

Evilreaver posted:

evilreaver-mod-ideas.txt - excerpt
Fusion would have to be astoundingly expensive (eclipsing the Rocket Defense cost), but is the end-game power source, so even at 50-75MW output it isn't single-handedly powering your base. It requires massive startup power in order to kickstart the reaction (and to restart it any time it needs to be restarted), so you power it via a Nuclear reactor or whatever.

Nuclear requires Uranium that is cracked from coal or stone in very small amounts (more from stone than coal) requiring lots of polluting mines and power before it can be started. A 'nuclear plant' is basically a multi-structure building that has the reactor core (uranium+water = superheated water+depleted U), the dynamo (superheated = power+steam), the towers (exhausts steam at a set rate), and as many breeders as you can fit (using uranium and power, cuts uranium use in the reactor for a small net benefit- less power-per-second, more total power-per-uranium).

Uranium is cracked (stone/coal + power = U), then enriched (U + power = Enriched U). Depleted Uranium can be used for bullets or Heavy Walls (an improvement over Steel Walls, an improvement over Stone Walls). Breeders, Crackers and Enrichers pollute.

Fusion is a multi-structure too- with an enricher (water + power = deuterium), magnetosphere (deuterium = *power*) and capacitor (basically a hugeass accumulator). You want at least 3 enrichers together to keep the deuterium flowing, and you need 1GJ in your capacitors/accumulators in order to run the magnetosphere- it of course puts out enough to charge itself with lots extra to spare. Unless the supply is interrupted (like a biter breaking a pipe, or laser turrets draining power enough to put you under the margin), of course, which might suddenly put you at a huge energy deficit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sam. posted:

Could always go with the common game-y solution of making them incredibly volatile. Failure to supply sufficient water or purge the waste could leave massive irradiated craters where said plant was.

Would require tinkering with the dominance of solar panels, though.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Rynoto posted:

Could always go with the common game-y solution of making them incredibly volatile. Failure to supply sufficient water or purge the waste could leave massive irradiated craters where said plant was.

Would require tinkering with the dominance of solar panels, though.

This is the Minecraft Modding approach to balance and the only end result is that the player is negatively impacted by losing the plant they spent so many resources on. It's either a tedious chore, an easily automated set-and-forget step, or an explosion, and none of those really constitute positive gameplay.

Make it turn off, or waste fuel, or pollute a bunch to "balance" it, but don't make it explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Evilreaver posted:

I made a post about that...

what I like about this idea is the pollution -- right now it seems pretty transient for coal. Uranium pollution should stick around for a long time. Maybe attract worms near your plant regardless of where it's situated, or bring in a new kind of enemy, like a mutated biter, or irradiated biter.