Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:Series 2 starts with a double billing, episode 1 on July 14th and episode 2 on July 15th. After this new episodes will air on Tuesdays.:siren:

Before we begin, watch this.

Interested? Please proceed.

Utopia is a conspiracy thriller serial created by Dennis Kelly for Channel 4 in the UK. A remake is coming for HBO courtesy of David Fincher.

It’s a beautiful show that exudes an enormous sense of dread and is full of hosed up violence. I think you should all watch it. Series 2 starts mid-July but this thread is a catchall for both series so newcomers can catch up.

It’s only 6 episodes and it’s super easy to find on YouTube, you have no excuse.

Since the intention of this thread is to catch up non-british newcomers in preparation for the second series, I won’t list any significant plot details, feel free to come in blind and enjoy the show at your own pace. No spoiler rules per se, but for you brits waiting on S2, a show of respect for newcomers is appreciated.

Characters

Ian Johnson (Nathan Stewart-Jarett)

Becky (Alexandra Roach)

Grant Leetham (Oliver Woolford)

Wilson Wilson (Adeel Ahktar)

Michael Dugdale (Paul Higgins)

Arby (Neil Maskell)

Lee (Paul Ready)

Jessica Hyde (Fiona O’Shaughnessy)

Aftermath

Once you've caught up to the show, here’s a trailer for series 2!

Here's a recap for Series 1 if you watched it when it aired but don't remember.

Here's a trailer for the premiere.

Series 2 begins with a double billing Monday July 14 and Tuesday July 15 at 10 pm.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Erm you might wanna NSFW tag that first video.

But yes if that clip works for you please give this show a try.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

A remake is coming for HBO courtesy of David Fincher.

I've never seen a sentence start so badly and end so well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is a drat great show, people.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
This show is so good, that the child actors are good. A modern miracle.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This is going to come off as the pettiest complaint ever, but it was a pet peeve of mine, that there was this huge cult following around a tiny graphic novel, that from what we have seen has very little story to it. Ben Templesmith's art is lovely, there just doesn't seen enough juice in it, for there to be this huge following.
But that was my only real complaint, i liked the first season, and i love the intro music.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Flea Wars posted:

This show is so good, that the child actors are good. A modern miracle.

Astoundingly good. Poor, neglected Grant and poor, traumatised, foul-mouthed little Alice...

I loved Series One. Even if you weren't fond of the plot, or the grotesque violence, the look and style and sound of it was like nothing else on earth. The way everything was framed and shot like comic-book panels, those hypersaturated yellows and blues, that dreadful keening wail on the soundtrack as the Networks' plans were unfolded...god, it was the single most stylish looking thing on the telly I've ever seen, blew everything else out of the water.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Irisi posted:

Astoundingly good. Poor, neglected Grant and poor, traumatised, foul-mouthed little Alice...

I loved Series One. Even if you weren't fond of the plot, or the grotesque violence, the look and style and sound of it was like nothing else on earth. The way everything was framed and shot like comic-book panels, those hypersaturated yellows and blues, that dreadful keening wail on the soundtrack as the Networks' plans were unfolded...god, it was the single most stylish looking thing on the telly I've ever seen, blew everything else out of the water.

The Shadow Line comes close, even has Stephen Rhea being menacing. But then it all ended with policemen's pensions which was the wrong kind of weird for me.

I also like how the soundtrack seems to be going in a very different direction, but still fits.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Oasx posted:

This is going to come off as the pettiest complaint ever, but it was a pet peeve of mine, that there was this huge cult following around a tiny graphic novel, that from what we have seen has very little story to it. Ben Templesmith's art is lovely, there just doesn't seen enough juice in it, for there to be this huge following.
But that was my only real complaint, i liked the first season, and i love the intro music.

Not just the intro music. I'd put its soundtrack up there with Hannibal's in terms of being unique and brilliant. I wouldn't listen to it until after finishing the series, though, since it's sprinkled with some spoilery quotes.

As for the complaint, I figured that the conspiracy nuts were the main source of the community. Once someone pieced together the first experiment they were off to the races and the relative lack of a plot even helped, because now everything was ripe for fitting into each nut's pet theory.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I loved this show, but I cant remember what happened in season 1 apart from a series of little bits

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Taff posted:

I loved this show, but I cant remember what happened in season 1 apart from a series of little bits

There's a recap video channel 4 posted, I'll be adding it to the OP the week before the show airs.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Holy poo poo Lee is back?! I always felt we didn't get enough of him in season 1. Is Cristobal Tapia De Veer still doing the composing for the US version and Season 2? Definitely agree with everyone here in that the season 1 soundtrack is probably one of the best things about the show.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This is a super cool show for cool people, I didn't even realise s2 starts so soon.

14AA41
CYAL8R
BCNU
LOL

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Im pretty sure I posted this in the series 1 thread, but there was a scene in that where they did a police appeal for the missing kid to come back. There was a number on there so I tried calling it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-M6UbECp8M

His voice still freaks me out a bit

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Holy poo poo Lee is back?! I always felt we didn't get enough of him in season 1. Is Cristobal Tapia De Veer still doing the composing for the US version and Season 2? Definitely agree with everyone here in that the season 1 soundtrack is probably one of the best things about the show.

Lee is great, I'm glad we're getting more of him. He looks like if David Tennant's Doctor became a murderous psychopath.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Absolutely loved the first series but I'm away for all of the second. Advice on the best way to get 4od abroad?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live abroad as well and will hopefully be able to use this site. They had new episodes of Fargo up only a day after it aired.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
a browser with hola (or similar technology) installed and you're away

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh good, from what people in the UK TV thread were saying I thought series 2 had started already.

Think I need a watch of that recap video though, been ages since the first series and I don't remember much.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

stickyfngrdboy posted:

a browser with hola (or similar technology) installed and you're away

I should have said I'm limited to the capabilities of an iPad so I don't think Hola is an option, but thanks though.

WaryWarren posted:

I live abroad as well and will hopefully be able to use this site. They had new episodes of Fargo up only a day after it aired.

This seems to work perfectly. Thanks goons... Thoons.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Looking forward to this, although Series 1 is a bit of a dim and distant memory now. I think I either need to give it a re-watch, or watch the recap video when it surfaces.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Lee coming back is like the second coming of Christ.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I just marathoned this and, uh, wow. Wow.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

nutranurse posted:

I just marathoned this and, uh, wow. Wow.

Same. Was there a thread when season 1 was going on to read over?

Also, since Janus is the two faced god, and Carvel had two kids, will they need Pietre too?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

S1 discussion was in the British TV thread, which is a beast and a half to try and read through.

It's July in the country this airs so here's the Utopia S1 recap video for you brits with bad memories.

I'll add it in the OP also.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Started rewatching season 1 (available on 4od and On Demand on sky). Its even more interesting to see little things when you know whats coming.

The "torture" scene is no less shocking than it was the 1st time I saw it tho

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rarity posted:

This is a drat great show, people.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Lichtenstein posted:

Lee coming back is like the second coming of Christ.

Lee was shot, Lee is risen, Lee has come again.

Seriously how the hell did he survive? But on the other hand, I'm ready to accept a huge gaping plothole like that in order to see more of him.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Is it normal for British networks to not announce an air date less than a month before a show's supposed to be on?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They announced it last month. July 14th.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
i find it really weird this hasn't been advertised a lot, when the first series seemed to be everywhere ,with multiple different ads for the series.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Lee was shot, Lee is risen, Lee has come again.

Seriously how the hell did he survive? But on the other hand, I'm ready to accept a huge gaping plothole like that in order to see more of him.

well, he was shot in the lung, so he had a chance so long as he was found quickly.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mu Zeta posted:

They announced it last month. July 14th.

Can you provide a link to this? All I've been able to find says it's back July.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Can you provide a link to this? All I've been able to find says it's back July.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a581830/utopia-series-2-launch-date-announced-by-channel-4.html#~oJ0qWfG1tv0y3H

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That wasn't last month at all! I'll update the OP. I'll also add a blip over the weekend about all the new actors that are supposed to feature in s2.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ponce de Le0n posted:

i find it really weird this hasn't been advertised a lot, when the first series seemed to be everywhere ,with multiple different ads for the series.

Ive seen it advertised a ton.

Just finished a run through of the 1st season again in preperation for this. Arby is such a great character

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Season 1 ratings were really poor apparently, so if this season doesn't do well I don't think there'll be a third.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thehustler posted:

Season 1 ratings were really poor apparently, so if this season doesn't do well I don't think there'll be a third.

It did really well 4OD ratings, DVD sales and sold its concept to HBO/David Fincher. It's ratings might not matter so much if Channel 4 see more value in giving it a chance to tell a full three season arc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're airing the first two episodes on consecutive days.

Feels like they're burning it off, or not confident in the show's direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

3 series sounds perfect for a show like this and I hope they get to finish things on their terms.

• Locked thread