Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Major_JF posted:

Not complaining but, the video you have posted doesn't have any of those commentary things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Sorry, for trying to be coy. The video didn't have any commentary with it so...

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I am guessing that you either forgot the commentary or it's in a frequency that human ears can't listen to.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Of all the stupid mistakes I've made, that's certainly one of them. It's been fixed, and a reminder not to upload videos after getting pretty much no sleep the night before.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Sylphid posted:

Of all the stupid mistakes I've made, that's certainly one of them. It's been fixed, and a reminder not to upload videos after getting pretty much no sleep the night before.

I don't know maybe you should keep a copy of the old one it's kind of atmospheric.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 28, 2014

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Do you get anything game wise for completing them all? or just that thin veneer of more backstory/plot?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Wibbleman posted:

Do you get anything game wise for completing them all? or just that thin veneer of more backstory/plot?

Aside from individual trophies for each part of the Journey, nope. I had to do it for completion's sake in the LP, but otherwise you don't get anything from completing them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. It's kind of stupid how it stuck since as a description it can be applied to just any game out there.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Aside from individual trophies for each part of the Journey, nope. I had to do it for completion's sake in the LP, but otherwise you don't get anything from completing them.

Now that I remember, I was wrong about this. If you complete all five segments of the Journey, you unlock the Desmond skin in Ezio's game. Since it's an entirely different model and not just Ezio in different robes, some of the facial animations can look really off with Desmond's skin on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"immanent" actually means it's happening right now.

Which, if a stack overflow was immanent, could explain why Desmond thinks it's new information that Abstergo jacked him.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: The Lost Archive

Part 1
Part 2

A two-parter episode covering the major DLC for this game, entitled "The Lost Archive". This DLC tells the story of Subject 16 joining the Assassins, his infiltration of Abstergo to find out what they're up to, what happened with Lucy, and most :smith:ly, Clay's death and the falling apart of his family after he got picked up by Abstergo and being forced into the Animus all the time. But, before he died, Clay was instructed by a very special someone to assist Desmond on his quest, and us breaking Clay out of that loop allows him to enter the main game and help Desmond out when he needed it the most.

Joining me for part 1 is America's Greatest Patriot, Tim Howard, and for part 2, Brazil's Stunningly Bad Performance in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup.

As much fun as we've had with the blocks for this and the last update, we're done with the block puzzles. Next update we'll be going right back into Ezio's story for a very dramatic video that covers all of Sequence 7 in a single bound. I should also note that by buying The Lost Archive, you gain access to all of the pre-order DLC stuff, including Vlad the Impaler's Tomb, several multiplayer characters, including my favorite, the evil doctor, and several maps. It's a pretty good deal, and one Ubisoft's been more or less doing since Brotherhood and the Da Vinci Disappearance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did they seriously make a DLC out of nothing but this poo poo? And it sold?

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
"Dai nemici mi guardo io, dagli amici mi guardi Iddio" can be loosely translated as "I can take care of my enemies, but may God protect me from my friends". Quite fitting given all the Lucy talk...

I also quite liked this DLC. I appreciate all the "telling a side story by hinting at what happened" stuff. If nothing else it's a change of pace from all the murdering. Not that there's anything wrong with that either.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would really like to know the story behind how the block puzzles got into the game in the first place.

Also, that last letter to Dad sounded like a kid joining a cult.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Glazius posted:

I would really like to know the story behind how the block puzzles got into the game in the first place.

My theory: remember the opening credits and all the Ubisoft studios that worked on the game (six besides Montreal)? They had to split out the game so they could all contribute something without stepping on each other's toes for the single player campaign. So one studio did the block puzzles, one studio did den defense, one studio did multiplayer, one worked on porting, etc.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVI: Old Boss, New Boss

Click picture or link for video
No commentary over cutscenes

Vicas and the Unstoppable Might of the German Empire join for some cave diving in Sequence 7, wherein Ezio goes to Cappadocia to hunt down the final Masyaf Key and shut down the Byzantine Templars for good. But, not everything goes according to plan...

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Armors were designed back then to be bulletproof that's where the term comes from after all. As for how he kills them in one hit with the sword then he probably is stabbing between slits in the armor I guess.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So does everyone remember me complaining that my second playthrough, the game ate one of my assigned Assassins and I thought it screwed me out of 100% synchronization? Turns out I was the fool this time. See, the Master Assassin mechanic works like this: when a recruit reaches level 10, you get the opportunity of assigning that recruit to one of the six dens in the European side of Constantinople (the Galata district is already covered in the story. The first Assassin you recruit in Sequence 3 will always become the master of the Galata district). Of course, first you have to chase the Templars out of the district you want to put a recruit in.

Once an Assassin in assigned to the district, they're glued there. They can't die, and you can't replace them once you've placed an Assassin in a den. So, when you assign one, you can do the first part of the missions in that district (so, every district has two missions, but you have to do The Sentinel Parts 1 and 2 as a part of the main story). Although you can do the first mission with them, afterward you have to wait until they reach level 15 before you can do the second part, and once you've completed part 2, they're a Master Assassin and that district is immune from Templar attacks and Den Defenses there.

However, there's a little catch. Even if sending out a level 10 Assassin on missions doesn't look like they're gaining experience, they actually are. So, if you haven't assigned a recruit you've been sending out on missions a lot to a Den, and then you choose to assign them, they can jump up from level 10 (Assassin), all the way to level 15 (Assassin, Rank 5) right after you complete part 1 with them. The thing is, and here's what tripped me up: they don't return to the Den. They're in the city somewhere. Just look for the Master Assassin icon in a district, go to them, complete part 2, and you're golden.

That's what got me. The game wouldn't tell me where the Assassin I assigned to Constantine North was, so I assumed the game glitched and she vanished forever, leaving a Den both with and without an Assassin. I tried failing a Den Defense on purpose to sort of clear the table, but trust me, that doesn't work. So, chalk this one up to my abject stupidity, not Ubisoft's. Good game, Ubi.

Anyway, the good news is that as of about 15 minutes ago, I've completed all of the Master Assassin missions, and have only one Thief challenge to go before I've completed the Assassin, Mercenary, Romani, and Thief challenges (the bomb challenges are really boring and don't unlock anything interesting). So, after the copious amount of editing I have to do to make the Master Assassins, Part 2 presentable, I'll be able to close the book on this sorry chapter. Luckily, Taiwan is currently being hit by a typhoon, and my boss has informed me there's no work tomorrow, so I guess I know what I'll be doing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sylphid posted:

Luckily, Taiwan is currently being hit by a typhoon

Just wanted to point out I love this sentence.

Anyway, I feel they overdid it with the management aspects here. Maintaining your guild in Brotherhood was a lot of fun (if mostly pointless) and they just started throwing mechanics and minigames here until something stuck. Sadly, it was TD and even more convoluted subquests. The flip side is that we get to see Ezio actually doing mentor stuff, but just getting there is a maze of halfassed mechanics.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So I was reading about Beyazid II on Wikipedia when I find that Ahmet is based on a real person. Beyazid II indeed had sons with the name Selim and Ahmet, and the real life Ahmet was also scheming to take the Ottoman throne, but in real life, presumably not for the sake of the Templars. On the one hand, you might think that Ahmet would be better off forgetting about the Masyaf Keys and just waiting until Beyazid dies so he can become Sultan, so the Templars would be in control of the Ottoman Empire, but actually he's doing the smartest thing he can in his position.

The Janissaries really don't like Ahmet, and even if he became Sultan there would almost definitely be a plot on his life before too long. This game doesn't touch on it much, but there was a lot of gossiping in the Janissary camp when we went to kill Tarik that should have given you the impression that although on paper the Janissaries are loyal to the Sultan, in reality the Janissaries want the Sultan to be loyal to them, or there could be trouble. In real life, the Janissaries were basically the force that got Beyazid to hand over his throne to Selim, and in the 19th century were responsible for the assassination of a Sultan. This series, as ever, can get oddly historically accurate when it really wants to be, even if the Selim / Ahmet succession fight happened in a much different way in reality than it plays out in the Assassin's Creed universe.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ezio Auditore is five feet away from you and you will never know.

I love that closing cutscene.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hello all. While I wait for Vicas and Toffile's schedules to line up again for Part XVII, I'd like to ask anyone who has the PS3 copy of this game for a favor. I want to put together a gameplay video of the multiplayer, but I can't do one by myself because Rev's online scene is dead and buried, since it's been nearly three years and ACIII and Black Flag have come out since then.

So, if anyone reading this thread has the PS3 copy of this game, and is willing to help me put together some online games, feel free to post your PSN ID in this thread, or PM it to me, and I can start working on scheduling a few games. Anyone and everyone are perfectly free to join, and I would be supremely grateful if I could get 6 or 7 goons (preferably seven so we can two teams of four, which is the max in multiplayer) to help me record some fun multiplayer videos. Playing Revelations online again would be a real treat, and a really good way to send this thread off as we grind toward the end.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVII: The Master Assassins, Part 2

Without letting Ahmet's treachery making us lose a step, it's a video of lasts with Vicas and Someone Who's Boycotting Market Basket Because They Fired RDT, as we complete the last Den Defense (showing off the last Assassin and Templar units), and all of the remaining Master Assassin missions.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 9, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, firing a cannon straight down a crowded allyway is just cheating, final den mission.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: Bombs Away

After a long break, entirely unintentional, we begin a wrap-up video of sorts, where we take care of the Mercenaries Guild mission, the Piri Reis bomb missions, and checking out the alternate outfits. I realized it shortly after me and He Whose Names Always Change ended this video, I realized I had unintentionally edited out two of the bomb missions. You can check those two missions out in the video linked in the previous sentence.

Also, even though I mentioned toward the end of this video that I forgot to check out the Guild Challenge Crests, I actually do in the next video, so don't worry about missing them. Also, we start talking about some Assassin's Creed III spoilers toward the end of the video, so beware if you haven't beaten ACIII up to Sequence 4, I think.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 1, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So that, what, doubles your total available bomb components?

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
Really stupid point, and I apologise if anyone else has brought this up, but in the OP you have the last two episodes as being numbers 10 too many (i.e. XXVII and XXVIII), rather than XVII and XVIII...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

NeoAnjou posted:

Really stupid point, and I apologise if anyone else has brought this up, but in the OP you have the last two episodes as being numbers 10 too many (i.e. XXVII and XXVIII), rather than XVII and XVIII...

Not at all. Anything to catch my silly errors is most appreciated.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIX: End of the Line

Vicas and Toffile join me for beginning and ending Sequence 8, wherein we finally settle things with Ahmet and take care of all our affairs in Constantinople. Not counting the two multiplayer videos, we're now two videos away from the end of the thread.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sylphid posted:

Part XIX: End of the Line

Vicas and Toffile join me for beginning and ending Sequence 8, wherein we finally settle things with Ahmet and take care of all our affairs in Constantinople. Not counting the two multiplayer videos, we're now two videos away from the end of the thread.

Worst part of the game, book ending the game with chariot racing.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Maybe you guys could not spoil other games while talking? Especially games that have currently active LPs?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Out of mild curiosity did you re upload this video because I could have sworn I saw it up a few days ago while looking at your vids on Atelier Escha & Logy.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Out of mild curiosity did you re upload this video because I could have sworn I saw it up a few days ago while looking at your vids on Atelier Escha & Logy.

I did, yeah. I had uploaded the original when I noticed at some point Vicas and maybe me were talking way out of sync with the action going on in the video, so I deleted that and went back to edit stuff. I chose Vicas remarking on my boring load screens as a new sync point for the second half of the video because that was a good place to say "He definitely said that at this point". Don't know how it happened, but you weren't wrong.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please say there's going to be a thrilling parkour escape from a collapsing memory structure.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
EX Update: Everyone's A Winner

Part 1
Part 2
Bonus Video

Thanks to Faerie Fortune for providing the title. In this very special update, we take a break from the main game and DLC to explore the world of Assassin's Creed: Revelations Online. I'm not a particularly skilled player, as I never come in better than 3rd while playing, but I had fun doing these. It just caught me by surprise that I was able to find a decent number of games, enough content for two standard-length videos.

For the first part, I'm joined by two unnamed but familiar-sounding rogues, and the second part I'm with Claude Drews' Groin Injury and fan favorite Faerie Fortune, once again Britishing this video up. The bonus video has no commentary and no gameplay, but for completion's sake, I did want to show all the Abstergo videos you get with Warren Vidic as you level up, and the Templar files, which contain a lot of neat info, like world history from ancient times to the present from the Templars' point of view.

I've said it before, but the 20th final from Abstergo explicitly confirms Those Who Came Before were not aliens, it's just their technology is so otherworldly compared to the current civilization's it seems that way. Also, I preview all the maps with the stage selector thing, and I really wish I could have played on the DLC maps, but it was hard enough finding DLC games when the online was a lot bigger, let alone now. You can also see the fancy dress-up options you can give the characters.

As a special note regarding the characters that I didn't get the chance to mention is that you get The Knight from Brotherhood by buying him on uPlay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I played a lot of brotherhood's multiplayer but I honestly can't remember ever really feeling like I was actually good at it in any way. And then I think that eventually you needed XBox Live to keep playing it so I just totally lost all interest in getting back into it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that's an interesting conceit for multiplayer. You are the baddies, Hans. I suppose it's about the only way you could do multiplayer with the Animus conceit.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
It has been a while, but I do have good news to report: me and the one whose name constantly changes just finished recording the last two videos of the thread. Just a little over 20 minutes from the start of Sequence 9 to the end of the (edited) credits. They should be up within the next couple days.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XX: The Revelation

No commentary

After a lengthly downtime, for one reason or another, we begin Sequence 9 up to Ezio finally getting into Altair's secret library. With me is thread mainstay that one guy.

The second version of the update has no commentary, since about 90% of this video has talking over it, and hey, it's the end of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXI: Labored and Lost

No commentary

And the final update of the thread. 100% cutscenes and credits, so same second video policy as last time.

Well, as a final word, I had fun doing this thread. My first time really working with guest commentary, so I got to experience the joys of working with a lot of talented and funny commentators. Black Flag and this game are pretty close together to me for my favorite Assassin's Creed, but I have no idea if Unity or Rogue will change that. Special thanks to ayn rand hand job, Vicas, and Faerie Fortune in particular for being very funny, entertaining commentators, and I would be happy to have all three back for my Black Flag thread, which I'll be starting fairly soon (I already have the first two parts recorded).

I hope you've enjoyed this thread, and hopefully enjoyed Revelations as much as I do. It's got its flaws, certainly, but the pros more than make up for them to me. Then again, I don't have a passionate hatred of Den Defense, so maybe it's me who's crazy. Regardless, I think we've had a certain brand of fun here.

• Locked thread