Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd be more ok with ads if it was part of revenue sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

PantsFreeZone posted:

Meet Bruno Caboclo. He's real.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Kibner posted:

I assume this is sarcastic, but something I found out this season is that teams actually lose some of their timeouts if they aren't spent soon enough. I can't remember if it is at halftime, the fourth quarter, or both.

They might be losing more as the NBA tries to speed up the length of games.

Jersey ads would let the NBA run fewer commercials to try to get down to the 2 hour mark. I don't think that's a trade off they're going to want to make.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bashez posted:

They might be losing more as the NBA tries to speed up the length of games.

Jersey ads would let the NBA run fewer commercials to try to get down to the 2 hour mark. I don't think that's a trade off they're going to want to make.

Losing more as in fewer total timeouts or as in more TV timeouts? Because I don't see how it speeds up the game in the slightest if you're still using the same number of total timeouts, and the TV timeout doesn't come out of the team's bank if they've already used one so it could only slow the game down, not speed it up

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
http://bleacherreport.com/miami-heat

Lowry trade to Miami heat immenent

:suicide:

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Canadian takeover continues in Sacramento, as the Kings have signed noted awful 7'5" fat guy Sim Bhullar from New Mexico State as a UDFA. A guy I'm Facebook friends with who is both a Kings fan and the owner of a South Asian Studies degree says the Kings are trying hard to appeal to the Indian market.

If Bhullar makes an NBA roster I will laugh forever.

I just read a draft report that says if he gets signed he'll be the tallest player in the league, edging out Hasheem Thabeet, who he may outweigh by a hundred pounds. Sign this guy, Kings!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

WYA posted:

http://bleacherreport.com/miami-heat

Lowry trade to Miami heat immenent

:suicide:

Ric Bucher

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

chunkles posted:

Ric Bucher

Oh haha, nevermind

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ric Bucher was literally fabricating information during the Sacramento/Seattle drama, I don't know why people still put stock in what he says

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

FREAK

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why would Toronto trade Lowry for Norris Cole and a bunch of lovely picks? Have they, like, tried asking anyone else for an offer?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

They don't want to trade one revenue source for another, they want to make as much money as they possibly can. It's a business.

I dunno, I get why people don't like it but I think everyone would get used to it really quickly and it wouldn't be a huge deal.
I don't care if NBA teams make more money, I don't care if NBA players make more money, and I'd like to be able to look at a basketball player dunking without my eyes being monetized. It's not as if the revenue would be used to slash prices of tickets or concessions or anything else beneficial to fans of the game, so I don't understand why one single fan should support such a change.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fast Luck posted:

I don't care if NBA teams make more money, I don't care if NBA players make more money, and I'd like to be able to look at a basketball player dunking without my eyes being monetized. It's not as if the revenue would be used to slash prices of tickets or concessions or anything else beneficial to fans of the game, so I don't understand why one single fan should support such a change.

I already responded to this.

I'm not supporting it I just don't give a poo poo one way or the other beyond thinking the outrage it causes will probably be over the top and kind of funny from the perspective of someone who doesn't care.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 28, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The fans don't have to support it for it to happen. Unless a significant number of fans actually stop watching, they don't care whether your like it or not

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Heat are not exchanging Bosh for Lowry in any scenario (I know it wasn't in the article as a trade but he says that Bosh would be the member of the Big 3 to be given the heave ho).

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PantsFreeZone posted:

The Heat are not exchanging Bosh for Lowry in any scenario (I know it wasn't in the article as a trade but he says that Bosh would be the member of the Big 3 to be given the heave ho).

For Carmelo, which makes even less sense. They could literally have big 3 + Lowry but get Melo instead of Bosh because reasons

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I dont support it but I'm definitely not going to boycott one single game either because really

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Soccer has the ideal balance in my opinion. Zero commercial breaks except at halftime and tons of loving ads everywhere. Let's do that NBA.

Instead, we will get tons of commercial breaks and tons of ads everywhere.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
Lowry seems like a big upgrade for Miami. Does this have any impact on getting Gortat or some other free agent Big?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

nachos posted:

For Carmelo, which makes even less sense. They could literally have big 3 + Lowry but get Melo instead of Bosh because reasons

Right. Either of them. Bosh is a better fit. Ric Bucher is a moron.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Unless it involves Kobe like five years ago Ric Bucher doesn't know poo poo about poo poo. He writes for loving Bleacher Report.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
He didn't even really have that great of insight into Kobe, he just had the advantage of being the only person Kobe didn't hang up on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah he was mostly just a mouthpiece for whatever Kobe's camp wanted to get out there, and only got that point by relentlessly kissing his rear end at every opportunity.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kyle Lowry's agent playing puppet master with his hand up Bucher's bum trying to get Ujiri to blink.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

nachos posted:

There's been a lot of chatter this offseason that Lebron really wants to play with Melo, which as far as I can tell is 100% manufactured and not based on anything at all. It was the nucleus of the Harden for Melo sign and trade Broussard was pushing earlier this week.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
@SmithRaps: There have been "zero" conversations between Raptors and Heat; please take a breath and enjoy the long weekend

Doug Smith is the Raptors beat dude. He rarely gets news first but also never gets news wrong.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
If they do ads I'd be curious if any teams pull a Barcelona and refuse to play with ads due to an inflated sense of self.

I could see the Lakers and the Celtics both turning down sponsorship.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Sheriff posted:

There's been a lot of chatter this offseason that Lebron really wants to play with Melo, which as far as I can tell is 100% manufactured and not based on anything at all. It was the nucleus of the Harden for Melo sign and trade Broussard was pushing earlier this week.

Do we know why? Like obviously Melo can get buckets, is it because he thinks he'll draw the 2nd best defender? Aside from wanting to play with great players in general I don't know why Melo would be the one he'd really want to play with; Melo doesn't seem like a guy who'd be much fun to play with.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel
Lowry don't leave please

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Intruder posted:

Losing more as in fewer total timeouts or as in more TV timeouts? Because I don't see how it speeds up the game in the slightest if you're still using the same number of total timeouts, and the TV timeout doesn't come out of the team's bank if they've already used one so it could only slow the game down, not speed it up

Currently teams get charged timeouts for TV timeouts. The D league has altered it's rules on timeouts slightly, and teams will each lose down to 2 timeouts, if they have more than that. Because of TV timeouts you could only have 3, the rest would have already been charged to you for commercial breaks. Now you either have to use that timeout at some point, or it goes away. For the D league, anyway.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lorini posted:

...and grade refs on consistent officiating. I realize they'd have to fire half the refs they've got for this to happen, but the officiating is the most irritating part of the NBA.

They already are evaluated a few times per season. Referees get flushed down the toilet if they don't meet certain standards.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think what just got lost in all the draft nonsense is that :siren: Anthony Randolph is a Chicago Bull :siren:

Would've been cooler if you left the last name off. Articles are already using this kind of clickbait:

Paul Zuvella posted:

So everyone's been talking about how Chicago needs to amnesty Boozer to sign Melo. If that does happen where does he sign to ring chase? I'd assume either the Heat, or the Clippers.

He'd actually fill the need for a backup big in LA quite well.

Boozer sucks on O now and if he goes to a bad/marginal D team his D will be hilariously exploited as he hangs around the rim trying to grab scarce DRBs like his life depends on it. Still one of the loudest NBA players though and that has to be worth a few million. However, I don't think Reinsdorf would amnesty Boozer unless someone built a time machine and abducted late 1980s Jordan. He gets labeled as cheap a lot which isn't factual but he is frugal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

Yeah he was mostly just a mouthpiece for whatever Kobe's camp wanted to get out there, and only got that point by relentlessly kissing his rear end at every opportunity.

He's the same with the Rose camp now. Seems like he becomes friends with the camp of one NBA star every 5 years and delivers a few scoops on that player.

The move makes no sense either. Lowry can make more than $10 million on the open market and why the hell would the Raptors want to help Miami?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can Lowry make more than $10M? I'm not doubting his ability but are any teams that have cap space in the market for a new PG?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

Soccer has the ideal balance in my opinion. Zero commercial breaks except at halftime and tons of loving ads everywhere. Let's do that NBA.

Instead, we will get tons of commercial breaks and tons of ads everywhere.

I think the NBA does a decent job with regular season games. I know games here start just after 7pm and I'm out of there before 9:30pm most nights. It'd be cool if they could shave a few minutes off, but I think they do a decent job of making the games short. Playoffs are another story though as they extend the timeouts and halftime breaks (national TV regular season games do this too).

One negative of limiting timeouts is you'd probably see less of the best players every night. It's easier to play 40 minutes when you have an extra 5 minutes of timeouts to rest.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Can Lowry make more than $10M? I'm not doubting his ability but are any teams that have cap space in the market for a new PG?

A lot of teams seem to be going with multiple PGs and there should be a lot of cap space available. I think he'd be an interesting fit even in Chicago if they strike out on Carmelo. Nate Duncan wrote a good piece on why Lowry would work in Chicago and they have the cap space to make it happen. Would dramatically improve the offense and defensively it would be compensated by having Butler, Gibson, and Noah playing in front of them.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

MourningView posted:

Unless it involves Kobe like five years ago Ric Bucher doesn't know poo poo about poo poo. He writes for loving Bleacher Report.

Skolnik is pretty good but unfortunately writes for Bleacher Report. Also I am ashamed I clicked a bleacher report link for the first time in two years.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Zogo posted:

However, I don't think Reinsdorf would amnesty Boozer unless someone built a time machine and abducted late 1980s Jordan. He gets labeled as cheap a lot which isn't factual but he is frugal.

I am fairly confident they'll amnesty Boozer if they can't move him in a trade somehow. I'm pretty sure the Bulls will be paying around the same amount in payroll even if they do amnesty Boozer, since they'll just be able to spend up to the salary cap (plus the mini-MLE, plus veteran minimum contracts). As long as someone bids a few million on Boozer, it shouldn't be that different from if they didn't amnesty Boozer and added someone with the MLE.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

PantsFreeZone posted:

Meet Bruno Caboclo. He's real.

this is insanely my poo poo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bleacher Report has a handful of great writers.

Bowen is always a good read for NFL X's and O's

The key to Bleacher Report is to follow the good writers and only click the articles they tweet out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Howard Beck is good too for Bleacher Report.

The Bulls are most likely going to amnesty Boozer. They'd be eviscerated here for not doing so after the Deng salary dump last season.

• Locked thread