Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Zigmidge posted:

Did you fill out some kind of pre-auth agreement because nobody can just "try to take money out" without that.

It was my insurance company. They tried to increase my rates, I decided to cancel before the rates would be applied. Either the broker or someone at the insurance company hosed up because they tried to charge me after my policy ended. 3 times within 4 days ($120 of NSF charges, which was great). I spent hours arguing with PC, my broker and the insurance company and everyone single one of them was useless and blamed the others.
It doesn't matter either way, PC should have helped me. They could have easily changed my account number or done anything, but all they told me was basically your SOL, pay our fees anyways. I switched to RBC and they were amazed PC did nothing to help.

This was 4 or so years ago, so maybe they are better. I would never go back to them though.

Edit: Rewording.

A c E fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

sick zip everywhere posted:

I lost Teksavvy service a month and a half ago and they've just put me through a support loop and they've finally said that they can't do anything.

So I guess it's back to Shaw, which was originally so terrible that I switched to Teksavvy.

Hopefully, next time I have to switch to Teksavvy I'll be able to stay longer.

Really shaw problems? the only problem i have had with shaw is cost or speed limits.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Rogers is getting quite a lot of bad press after it shows that their "premium" service is actually the slowest in Canada via Netflix.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

Even the CBC wrote an article about it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
They should adjust that chart to reflect average bandwidth per dollar spent. It would knock down Bell's ridiculously overpriced fibre opening down a few pegs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

slush posted:

Rogers is getting quite a lot of bad press after it shows that their "premium" service is actually the slowest in Canada via Netflix.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

Even the CBC wrote an article about it.

I thought the Netflix stats were a little bit misleading ... for one thing it groups all the ISP's offerings together. But the other way, it could be implying that Rogers is actually causing Netflix to be slower on its network -- either deliberately, or that it's shoddy.

Don't get me wrong, I hate'em both, but I don't think it's so clear-cut that Bell is "better". Maybe Bell also is a CDN partner with Netflix?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Clearly an attempt to force people off Netflix and to use Rogers on Demands instead... :nexus:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I thought the Netflix stats were a little bit misleading ... for one thing it groups all the ISP's offerings together. But the other way, it could be implying that Rogers is actually causing Netflix to be slower on its network -- either deliberately, or that it's shoddy.

Don't get me wrong, I hate'em both, but I don't think it's so clear-cut that Bell is "better". Maybe Bell also is a CDN partner with Netflix?

The Bell Fiber is the highest because the defacto package for their IPTV service is 25/10, just like how Teksavvy is so low because they have so many 6Mbps legacy DSL users, while being an OpenConnect CDN partner.

It's a case of comparing apple to oranges, it's not a very good index unless users report their bandwidth to netflix so they can sort them appropriately.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2014

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

A c E posted:

It was my insurance company. They tried to increase my rates, I decided to cancel before the rates would be applied. Either the broker or someone at the insurance company hosed up because they tried to charge me after my policy ended. 3 times within 4 days ($120 of NSF charges, which was great). I spent hours arguing with PC, my broker and the insurance company and everyone single one of them was useless and blamed the others.
It doesn't matter either way, PC should have helped me. They could have easily changed my account number or done anything, but all they told me was basically your SOL, pay our fees anyways. I switched to RBC and they were amazed PC did nothing to help.

This was 4 or so years ago, so maybe they are better. I would never go back to them though.

Edit: Rewording.
Speaking as an employee of a different major canadian bank, I really doubt they are able to do what I bolded. You'd very likely need to open a new account and close the old one. Which does accomplish the same thing, so I guess that's a fairly minor technicality. And I agree they should've advised you to do that in your situation. It's the advice I would've given you after hearing that you had tried to resolve it by speaking directly with the insurance company and had found that they were too incompetent. I'm not sure why you didn't just do it yourself though, when you obviously realized on your own that changing your account number would resolve your situation. Maybe PC gives you a hard time about opening an additional account when you already have one since they're no-fees? I'm not sure about that but the Big Five banks definitely don't mind.

Honestly if you called a Big Five bank and told them your story, whether they'd just say you're SOL or be creative/smart enough to suggest something like opening a new account would depend entirely on how good the employee you talk to is and that's luck of the draw at any big company. Again I do agree that telling you to get yourself a new account number would be good advice. It'd definitely be "plan B" though, after the best option being to tell your insurance company to get their poo poo together. Really those two options are your only possible solutions to this situation at any canadian bank though. Even the "plan B" of a new account number is pretty rarely necessary as generally companies doing pre-authorized debits are good about sticking to the terms of the agreement they have with you and respecting cancellations etc. Reason being they know that under CPA regulations, any pre-authorized debit that was not legitimately allowed for by an agreement you made with them (and is actually paid ie not returned NSF) can be refunded by the bank within 90 days of the payment if the client informs their bank that the payment was not legit. The insurance company charging you after you cancelled is of course the actual root cause of your problem, is totally unacceptable and definitely indicates that your insurance company kinda sucks. It was probably incompetence/a mistake on their part, but it is A Thing that happens occasionally.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Also keep in mind people use Netflix on devices connected to wireless routers or on their own terrible home networks, maybe while torrenting. Maybe Rogers just provides the worst modem/router combo.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

DariusLikewise posted:

Maybe Rogers just provides the worst modem/router combo.

Mine hasn't crashed in a month! :downs:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have to say, my Telus 50 has been rock solid for the last 6 months; quite pleased.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's your bandwidth cap with Telus 50?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'm super pleased with Bell Fibe 50/50 with an unlimited add-on, but it's expensive and would be unreasonable for most people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

That's a good question; I think it's 350-400gb. That said, when I ordered it the sales person said 'Your monthly allowance is 'x' amount, but don't worry; as long as you don't double or triple that no one is going to notice'.

I don't have cable and stream constantly from netflix/twitch/youtube and I haven't had any monthly usage issues so far.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

slidebite posted:

According to a buddy of mine that works for Telus there isn't a bandwidth cap on Optik, because they don't/can't differentiate between IPTV traffic and regular internet usage or something like that. I wish I could switch to it because Shaw has finally started enforcing their bandwidth cap in my area, but the fastest Telus offers on my street is Broadband 15. Even though the rest of my neighbourhood has had access to Telus broadband 25/50, and have for years.

Speaking of Telus though, I just had an interesting conversation with one of their sales people; they always come by this time of year and I let him in hoping the 50 was finally available.

First he insisted that 15mb/s through Telus is faster than my 50 through Shaw. Then he pulled out his phone and opened up the speedtest.net app, which only showed about 18mb/s because it was connected to his LTE network and not my WiFi. When I pointed that out he insisted it didn't matter because my router was the closest wireless source. Before closing the app he pointed to the "Hosted by Telus" bit near the bottom and claimed that meant Telus was faster than Shaw in this neighbourhood. :wtc:

In the end I politely turned down his offer instead of explaining how and why he was completely wrong, because Sony's E3 was about to start. In retrospect I probably should have said something because most of my street is home to elderly people who wouldn't know he was bullshitting, and also it sounded like he was trained to say those things and didn't really know any better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've heard that Telus can and will start differentiating between IPTV and regular traffic.. I have the Optik 50 and it is pretty good but I am getting concerned about the limits, especially since I think I am going to cancel my TV service.. I'm down to the basic package + sports and I hardly watch it apart from hockey and with that ending anyway..

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

priznat posted:

I've heard that Telus can and will start differentiating between IPTV and regular traffic.

This is true. Caps aren't being enforced right now but it is being tested in Prince George and assuming they don't lose half their customers there over this they'll roll it out to everyone.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kly posted:

This is true. Caps aren't being enforced right now but it is being tested in Prince George and assuming they don't lose half their customers there over this they'll roll it out to everyone.

As Kly has mentioned, TELUS is now tracking usage with IPTV excluded for all customers. People in the Prince George region are a pilot for billing extra monies for going over the stupid arbitrary caps. You can view your usage on your bills or through the TELUS self serve website.

They don't have all the kinks worked out yet, though. My apartment is ETTH (Ethernet to the home) and they haven't seemed to figure that out yet, because my usage stats are 0/400GB for the past few months.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This was a post of mine back in April:

slidebite posted:

So I've been noticing an issue with Teksavvy lately and they tell me they are stumped and are opening a ticket with Telus, who, of course said there is nothing wrong with my dsl connection.

I'm on the 25/2 package and have been really happy with my service but lately from about, say 7PM to Midnight my download speeds have dropped drastically.

Instead of 25/3 I generally get 4/3 or maybe 10/3 if I am lucky.

It is worth noting my pings seem unaffected and my tracerts show good with no loss even when it's at its worst. It seems to the uneducated me strictly a bandwidth issue at peak time.

I have tried speedtesting with 3 different computers and the same issue, including plugging my laptop directly in at the modem.

Is that common with DSL?

They are asking Telus to do checks during the window of problems because if they do in the middle of the day or off hours, it will be fine.
After weeks of troubleshooting Telus came back to Teksavvy and said "nope, no problem here on our network. Must be you or your customer" and that was it.

Earlier this week I followed up with Teksavvy and it turns out that yes, Telus indeed has a DSL issue and it's congestion/overselling related. :downs:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Is there any positive news out there regarding our ISPs? Non press release news that is

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Not really, Rogers pushed new plan tiers out to TPIA's and they're really expensive.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

Not really, Rogers pushed new plan tiers out to TPIA's and they're really expensive.

Anyone on TekSavvy's unlimited 45/4 through rCable should upgrade to unlimited 60/10, as it's slightly cheaper.

I don't really care about the faster download, was just happy for a upload bump. Glad I finally have a decent speed.

A c E fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2014

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OK, so my 45/4 w/300GB is now unavailable, and for the same price you now get 30/5 300GB?
How completely bizarre.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's slightly cheaper if you get the 150gig package I believe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It is, the 150 tier is new.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone familiar with these guys?

http://www.aebc.com/residential-services/high-speed-internet/

quote:

I have a High Speed Internet service with you. Can I use the bandwidth anytime? Or is it limited? If it is how can I monitor my bandwidth limit?
Bandwidths for ADSL Users are unlimited so you do not need to monitor your usage if you are going to exceed the bandwidth limitation because in AEBC there are none!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Bell has sales people trolling all over my neighbourhood trying to sell FTTH and I just feel so embarrassed for them. Poor bastards trying to push 25/25 with a tiny bandwidth cap as some sort of technological break through that will "only" cost you $60 a month. I don't get why Bell is only offering an equivalent service to their competitors when the technology could effectively let them make Videotron their bitch. At least I have an excuse to call Videotron this evening and feign cancelling my service unless I get a reach around. I currently have 30/10 with 200GB a month for sixty dollars with Videotron.

I told the salesman to offer me an uncapped service with my 100Gbs Ethernet card being the only speed limit for sixty bucks and he just goggled.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What's the bandwidth cap they're pushing on the 25/25?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

DSauer posted:

Bell has sales people trolling all over my neighbourhood trying to sell FTTH and I just feel so embarrassed for them. Poor bastards trying to push 25/25 with a tiny bandwidth cap as some sort of technological break through that will "only" cost you $60 a month. I don't get why Bell is only offering an equivalent service to their competitors when the technology could effectively let them make Videotron their bitch. At least I have an excuse to call Videotron this evening and feign cancelling my service unless I get a reach around. I currently have 30/10 with 200GB a month for sixty dollars with Videotron.

I told the salesman to offer me an uncapped service with my 100Gbs Ethernet card being the only speed limit for sixty bucks and he just goggled.

The idiots don't even carry any literature with them. They came by our business and I told them I was too busy to listen to a pitch but since I'm in charge of that sort of thing I could look it over later to see if its worth the switch but nope! On the spot pressure sales or bust.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DSauer posted:

Bell has sales people trolling all over my neighbourhood trying to sell FTTH and I just feel so embarrassed for them.

They keep sending me these loving flyers "To the resident of (my address)", pretending they have a better offer. I've tried e-mailing them to tell them to gently caress off, but it's pretty much impossible to contact them either by e-mail or phone if you're not a customer.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm getting them in an area where the service isn't actually available :negative:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

DarkJC posted:

What's the bandwidth cap they're pushing on the 25/25?

175GB/month.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Is that up AND down?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I finally swapped over to Start from Cogeco Business. Cogeco gave them some grief about porting the account because it was a "business" but Start sorted it out. I was getting 16/2 for $67.74 after taxes and the new Start rates for 20/10 are $45.00 for a 200GB cap and an extra $15 for unlimited so it works out to me paying only $0.06 a month for higher downstream and massively improved upstream, $67.80 all told. The Cogeco retention department tried to get me to their next tier up with a slight break in price but it was still like $15 more than I would be paying. They really need something between the $56 and $91 tiers.

My girlfriend has been on Start for a few years and I was impressed with their customer service. They were proactive about potential porting issues and they followed up on everything with phone calls. Happy to say that's still the case, I had two calls from a woman there the day after I did the online setup. They remind me of how Teksavvy used to be before they went through that unchecked growth.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Jan posted:

They keep sending me these loving flyers "To the resident of (my address)", pretending they have a better offer. I've tried e-mailing them to tell them to gently caress off, but it's pretty much impossible to contact them either by e-mail or phone if you're not a customer.

Rogers does the to me. I get at least two a month and its been going on since I moved in almost 3 years ago. I've yelled but because they "aren't actually addressed to me" they won't stop it. The 'amazing deals' for the 'fastest internet in Canada' is always way worse than what I can get through Start or Teksavvy. They always always leave out useful information too. Half the time they don't even list the actual speeds and rarely if ever do they list the datacap.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Zigmidge posted:

Is that up AND down?

Yeah its combined.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My Rogers bill is handled electronically, so anything telecoms-related that isn't my housemate's phone bill goes from the mailbox, to my hand, to the front porch blue box a couple feet away. I used to glance over them, but the riders on their 'special' offers were always absurd or flat-out disqualified me because I was already a customer, so I stopped wasting the effort.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The Bell FTTH offer they sent me is actually better than what I'm getting with Rogers. I'm starting to think about taking it.

Sucks to lose the two @rogers.com addresses I've had for 14 years, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

DSauer posted:

Yeah its combined.

lol you could plow through that in 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The only thing ticking me off about Bell's FTTH offerings is how utterly underwhelming they are. Fibre vastly outstrips the capability of DSL and cable in most cases and rather than offer their customers huge numbers at a decent rate and murder their "competitors" they're just offering the same thing we've always had, but through a glass tube!

That's pretty much what a I said to the salesman, "That's it? That's all you're doing with Fibre Optics?"