Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spog posted:

A lot of cop traffic cars have in-car automatic numberplate recognition.

Which is tied into the Ministry of Transport database, which includes your test status.

So, if the camera sees your plate and the test is expired, an alarm goes and they can stop you and fine you for no valid test cert (withut even having to inspect the car)

And as an added bonus - no valid test and your insurance is automatically invalidated. So they seize your car and you get 6 points on your license.

Your loving country, why is the solution always "let's add more cameras!"?

Your man Orwell was not writing an instruction manual :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I just watched an interesting video about that and car culture in the US. It focuses on what it calls the "stroad".

Dude needs to lay down some cash for a pop filter. Or pull the mic out of his nose, one of the two.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Inspections piss me the gently caress off because my shitcans always fail for trivial bullshit or things that don't loving matter, yet I see people doglegging down the highway happily on 2 donut spares with a rotted fuel tank strap hanging off the bottom of their car because they have no idea what they're doing and hadn't stuffed their car into a guardrail yet 6 months ago when they got it inspected.

A-loving-men

The Fozzy won't pass because it has a small exhaust leak and bad steering rack seals. Everything actually safety related is brand loving new, but god forbid I let a small amount of exhaust miss the muffler and top off the fluid every couple weeks.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

nsaP posted:

Do people who fail the inspections really stop driving, or do they just drive illegally anyway?

Well, ask yourself this: If you were too poor to afford auto maintenance, and your vehicle failed inspection, would you just stop going to work? A lot of people don't have the safety nets of "Friends who can give them a ride" "disposable cash to fix car problems" and "accessible public transportation."

What do you say to someone in that situation? What do you do? Take away their car? (making them even more poor) Give them a big fine? (making them even more poor) Force them to quit the job that they need to drive to? (making them even more poor) Just throw them in prison and say "gently caress it!" (making them even worse off than being poor) You can legislate, police, shame all you want to, but unless you can solve some of those problems, people that fall into those situations are going to do what they have to in order to survive.

It's like Les Miserables, but with a multi-thousand dollar vehicle instead of bread. :v:

Edit: Speaking of inspections, any other Texas goons excited about this?

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2014

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I touched on this. As much as I want to see them gone, getting rid of lovely cars quickly falls into the category of treating the symptom, not the core problem. The core problem being that there are people who can't afford a better means to travel to work, or that better means don't exist because it just isn't a priority for far too many people in this country.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Captain Bravo posted:

Give them a big fine? (making them even more poor)

This is the answer, FYI.

You also jack up their insurance by making an inspection sticker a 1 point moving violation and send them to the NSC Drivers Retraining Class. Again. Where they will be preached at by some rear end in a top hat about not driving drunk, or driving unlicensed, or driving without insurance, or speeding, or getting in accidents.

(none of which they have done)

(not that I'm speaking from experience or anything)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jesus, this. I entertained moving to the UK 10 years ago but it's become such a nanny/surveillance state that I wouldn't be able to take it. Nice place to visit, though.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

blk posted:

Jesus, this. I entertained moving to the UK 10 years ago but it's become such a nanny/surveillance state that I wouldn't be able to take it. Nice place to visit, though.

Let me just put this is in here:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Kidney Stone posted:

Please tell me this is satire.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

By the time the light turned green this guy had crept forward all the way past the crosswalk. At this particular light, the sensor in the road is really short, so if you are not right on the stop line it doesn't ever change. I've had to get out of my car to tell people to pull up to the line after we a;; sat through two cycles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

blk posted:

Negative.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
People who creep past the line always amuse me. They want to go as soon as possible, but invariably, they have some aversion to actually accelerating. Not sure if it's the effect of driving a manual and enjoying the feeling of going through the gears, but it always seems like I'm already 200-300 yards down the road before the car who was creeping next to me gets through the intersection.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Half the time the creepers don't even notice the light turn green and just sit there for a couple seconds while everyone else blows past.

I assume they aren't creeping because they're in a hurry, they just aren't paying attention to what they're doing and barely have their foot on the pedal.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Edit: Speaking of inspections, any other Texas goons excited about this?

Mildly, yes! One less sticker in the windshield.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

xergm posted:

People who creep past the line always amuse me. They want to go as soon as possible, but invariably, they have some aversion to actually accelerating. Not sure if it's the effect of driving a manual and enjoying the feeling of going through the gears, but it always seems like I'm already 200-300 yards down the road before the car who was creeping next to me gets through the intersection.
I notice this all the time and its seems like such a confusing practice, its exactly as you describe. They creep along inch by inch until the light turns green, then they turn into a grandma driving a tan car. I also like when theres a long line of cars stopped, the first car pulls forward a foot or so and then all the cars behind him move forward like a caterpillar. Whats the point? When I stop my car stays stopped. No, car behind me, inching towards my bumper isnt going to make me move forward unless the gap is at least a cars length.

heh, automatic driving sheeples am i right :smug:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cage posted:

I also like when theres a long line of cars stopped, the first car pulls forward a foot or so and then all the cars behind him move forward like a caterpillar. Whats the point? When I stop my car stays stopped. No, car behind me, inching towards my bumper isnt going to make me move forward unless the gap is at least a cars length.

Well in this case, if I had not pulled forward up to the line the light would never have changed green. Also, sometimes it can let a car into a left turn lane or through the end of an intersection if traffic is backed up. How frustrating is it when the entrance to the turn lane is partially blocked off by some car sitting there with 15 feet of space in front of them so you can't get in and miss the green arrow?

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

blk posted:

Nope, that's real.

http://archive.wired.com/politics/security/news/2002/11/56152

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

blk posted:

How can you take "stopping people with failed inspections from driving" and say that's a bad thing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cage posted:

I notice this all the time and its seems like such a confusing practice, its exactly as you describe. They creep along inch by inch until the light turns green, then they turn into a grandma driving a tan car. I also like when theres a long line of cars stopped, the first car pulls forward a foot or so and then all the cars behind him move forward like a caterpillar. Whats the point? When I stop my car stays stopped. No, car behind me, inching towards my bumper isnt going to make me move forward unless the gap is at least a cars length.

Also, creepers or people who simply can't stop at or before the stop line are a loving pain in the rear end when people are trying to turn right on a red light.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

How can you take "stopping people with failed inspections from driving" and say that's a bad thing?

Kidney Stone posted:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Eventually grandma creeper is going to run someone over by not realizing they're inching forward and then all cars will have a buzzing noise if you're moving under 1 mph :suicide:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Also re: the whole inspections thing (in the United States), it's all well and good to mandate safe maintenance standards for cars, but I would prioritize driver education over that. Although many accidents happen due to mechanical negligence, the majority of accidents are caused by idiots with cars in reasonably good condition.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

blk posted:

Also re: the whole inspections thing (in the United States), it's all well and good to mandate safe maintenance standards for cars, but I would prioritize driver education over that. Although many accidents happen due to mechanical negligence, the majority of accidents are caused by idiots with cars in reasonably good condition.

And cell phones.

I do use my phone to change music here and there while I'm driving, but I try to keep it to stop lights and that kind of thing. There are SOOOOO many people here in San Diego that are just cruising down the highway, blazing past me at 80 with their heads pointed down at their cell phone. I don't understand how I don't see an accident every day.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I've tried sending a text while driving and its impossible, I just don't understand how people do it. It's kind of amazing that there even needs to be a law.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Living in the UK as an American is a pretty off-putting experience, when you realize just how many cameras there are and how they use them. There's a horribly designed intersection near my old flat, and they started using the CCTV cameras to issue citations to people who get caught in it. The flow of traffic there is atrocious and it's difficult to know if you'll make it all the way through, and the cunts that run the borough gleefully sit there issuing citations all day from the camera on the pole nearby. Safety and security indeed.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Same thing in Calgary -- there's always a bunch of jerk-offs writing smug letters to the editor. "It's a speed limit, guys! If I want to go 90 km/h in the left lane of Deerfoot, it's my right, and if you speed, you're breaking the law!"

I go the speed limit because I can't afford and don't want another traffic ticket. But I am more than happy not to be in the left lane and to let people pass because I'm not a self important dick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rabble posted:

I go the speed limit because I can't afford and don't want another traffic ticket. But I am more than happy not to be in the left lane and to let people pass because I'm not a self important dick.

I feel pretty much the same way, 10kph over is my absolute limit, I will not go any faster. I've already had to retake my license once, and I sure as hell don't want to do it again.

But I'm not going to stop other people from speeding (and potentially getting tickets).

E: vvvv One of the benefits of driving a silver sedan.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 27, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I go a little above the speed limit because my old Volvo is apparently invisible to police officers.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I hate people who slow down around cop cars. . . I mean obviously get out of the way if the sirens are going and don't act like an idiot, but do t loving drive 10 under the limit because there is a cop. I pass cops all the while going 5 to 10 over the limit, so long as you don't act like a jackass around a cop they are usually pretty cool.

Instead, I got stuck for 5 miles because there was a white Malibu with a light rack up top in the center lane. Originally, this car and the vehicle I. The other lane were pacing each other at 10 over the speed limit, but the "cop" kept slowing down and the jackass in front of me was afraid to pass them even after they slowed down. Really? If you're speeding beside a cop for miles and they don't pull you over just why would they suddenly change their mind to give you a ticket? After 3 more miles driving well below the speed limit with a poo poo load of cars behind me, the cop finally slammed on their brakes to make the other car pass. Turns out the white Malibu was nothing more than school security. From a distance, it looked like a cop car since it had a big badge on the door, shaped like a police badge with the school slogan and mascott. Gonna give you detention if they catch you speeding.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw the most amazing thing today.

A brodozer was at the other road when I got to a light... just in time to see him try and launch it in a high gear to smoke out the poor bastard behind him.

Except he hosed up, stalled it, and ended up restarting his compensationmobile in the middle of the intersection while his own smoke wafted in through his windows and people beeped at him for blocking traffic :allears:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Cop cars in the US often have plate-reader cameras too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rabble posted:

I don't have the slightest problem with that. I have a problem with people going 10 km/h under the speed limit, or otherwise obstructing the flow of traffic in the left lane. I have no ego about it, myself. I don't give a gently caress how fast I'm going, whether it's above the speed limit or below: if you come up behind me and you want to go faster, I will move right and allow you to pass because it's the right thing to do and we'll all be much happier as a result. If I'm not overtaking, I'll move right as a matter of principle; at worst, I'll have to (god forbid!) change lanes again at some point to overtake.

EDIT: To clarify, the speed limit on the highway I mentioned is either 100 km/h or 110 km/h, so in good weather, there's not much point to going 90 km/h. Especially not in the left hand lane. If I could drive across the city, consistently doing the speed limit, I would be very happy indeed.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 28, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Had a surreal experience yesterday. Highway packed with traffic, but the left lane was moving along steadily at 75mph while the right was going around 65-70. Every one stayed in their lanes, nobody slowed the left down for bullshit, people maintained a somewhat reasonable following distance. I was shocked.

And then I went into town later and saw more displays of idiocy and dickishness than I have fingers.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There's been a number of road rage deaths recently here in Kentucky. Most recently some guy drove into oncoming traffic and killed six people.

What the hell is wrong with people?

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

spog posted:

And as an added bonus - no valid test and your insurance is automatically invalidated. So they seize your car and you get 6 points on your license.

That's a myth I'm afraid - it's very hard to invalidate the 3rd Party portion of your insurance. In fact, it's essentially impossible so long as you're insured at all.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

revmoo posted:

There's been a number of road rage deaths recently here in Kentucky. Most recently some guy drove into oncoming traffic and killed six people.

What the hell is wrong with people?

When cars with only a driver chickenrace 18 wheels of unstoppable or put chip away driving into solid rock wall it's suicide (research not shared with public in Sweden for a source), though these days it's more and more about cases of distracted driving.

On my way home from the store I encountered three people, all three face deep in their phones, one nearly tripped himself walking off the sidewalk, one tore her jacket walking into bushes, the third did not fall off her bicycle but would have been honked at had a single car been around.

e: A bad crash recently with car splatting into truck carrying horses, came from the driver bending over to pick something up from the floor, with his entire family in the car. Drifted into oncoming traffic at high speeds. The people we no longer share the road with.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 30, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I heard a good one today about zipper merging: "Remember, it only takes one dick to stop a zipper."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hermand posted:

That's a myth I'm afraid - it's very hard to invalidate the 3rd Party portion of your insurance. In fact, it's essentially impossible so long as you're insured at all.

I don't think this is something you should say "I'm afraid." I'm really happy that if Joe's rolling crapmobile hits mine he's still covered by insurance (if he bought it).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

hermand posted:

Yeah, it's more accurate to say "they will likely attempt to come after you for the money they have to pay out, and you're never getting insured at anything other than extortionate rates again".

Another piece of fuckery regarding insurance in the UK - if you let someone drive your car, and they do not have a licence or insurance to do so, you also get a fine in the region of £1k and 6-8 points. Of course, the question is, at what point can you say you did your due diligence to check - they said they had cover, they showed you a certificate, you read the small print to their policy and so on? Well, if anyone can find a definitive answer to that, please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was driving home yesterday behind a new Malibu and the driver flicked his cigarette out the window. I stopped and picked up the butt, then caught up with him (long, straight street with no turn offs) and followed the remaining 1/2 mile until he stopped at a long light. I got out and knocked on his window, which he rolled down, and told him "Don't do it again," before flicking his own butt in his face. He was too shocked to say anything; nobody else was around so I turned around behind him and went home.

a) I guess I'm a cool cigarette-flicking AI guy now

b) One of these days I will be killed by someone with a gun in their car

c) I know not all smokers litter like assholes, but far too many do.