Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would be nice we had a game where said Jackbooted Thug can be loyal to his original employer, though. Goddammit I joined up with this corporation to prove I'm better than other people and make a shitload of money. I don't wanna be ethical. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex, while having nice atmosphere and highlighting the darker side of the whole augmentation business, plays loving awfully. Unfortunately it's firmly integrated in the Director's Cut of the game. Doesn't just come with it, but is part of the storyline and can't be skipped. I'm probably never going to play Deus Ex again once I'm through just because of that bit, and it's a pity because I really enjoy the game otherwise. I think I'd rather deal with generic FPS boss fights using weaponless stealth Adam than go through Missing Link again.

counterfeitpinecone
Sep 10, 2010

psychosis cat

poptart_fairy posted:

Would be nice we had a game where said Jackbooted Thug can be loyal to his original employer, though. Goddammit I joined up with this corporation to prove I'm better than other people and make a shitload of money. I don't wanna be ethical. :smith:

If you took away the 'deep' storyline Syndicate just pretty much was Unethical Jackbooted Thug Simulator 2012. I mean the story was ok, but Syndicate games are all about accidentally mowing down civilians with a minigun and not really being too bothered about it. In Syndicate Wars it was a core tactic to arm brainwashed civilians and use them as cannon fodder for god's sake

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

counterfeitpinecone posted:

If you took away the 'deep' storyline Syndicate just pretty much was Unethical Jackbooted Thug Simulator 2012. I mean the story was ok, but Syndicate games are all about accidentally mowing down civilians with a minigun and not really being too bothered about it. In Syndicate Wars it was a core tactic to arm brainwashed civilians and use them as cannon fodder for god's sake

Well I guess my biggest complaint is that I wasn't quite an unethical enough Jackbooted Thug. Like I didn't get an option to throw Eurocorp civilians at walls of bullets from rebel scum or rival corps. Just because they aren't Jackbooted Thugs with combat training doesn't mean they can't die in service to their corporation.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex, while having nice atmosphere and highlighting the darker side of the whole augmentation business, plays loving awfully. Unfortunately it's firmly integrated in the Director's Cut of the game. Doesn't just come with it, but is part of the storyline and can't be skipped. I'm probably never going to play Deus Ex again once I'm through just because of that bit, and it's a pity because I really enjoy the game otherwise. I think I'd rather deal with generic FPS boss fights using weaponless stealth Adam than go through Missing Link again.

You really won't want to play it again after that last level augh. Unless they changed it in the Director's Cut edition.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Lambeth posted:

You really won't want to play it again after that last level augh. Unless they changed it in the Director's Cut edition.

I thought the last level was great. It gives you all the best weapons in the game then dares you to kill innocent people with them, like it was asking you exactly what it was you thought of Jensen and all those arguments about augmentations by the end.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing Dungeon Siege III with a friend at the moment. It's...it's not a great game. But there are three problems with it that really make the experience a lot less enjoyable than it could be, three things that don't exactly require a redesign of the game's mechanics.

1) The camera is loving awful. You'd think with two players on separate computers that you'd each get your own camera, but no - you share a camera and must stay within range of each other at all times, even if the other person dies. This leads to deaths. Wouldn't be so bad if the camera angle wasn't zoomed so loving close to your character that you can't see what's more than five meters ahead of you. Also you can't change the pitch, or the zoom, the best you can do is turn it.

2) Lack of checkpoints. You die, you lose all your progress since your last save. This can get really, really loving annoying since save point placement is often poorly done, like a cutscene, conversation, four battles, another conversation, and a boss before you see another checkpoint, hope you don't die and have to do all that poo poo again!

3) No large map. There's a minimap, but god help you if you want to zoom out to get your bearing. Lots of getting lost, lots of consulting online guides because when they say "Go to Stonebridge" there is literally no goddamn way to know where that is. Oh, and quest markers only appear when they are close on the minimap, there's no arrow or anything pointing you in their direction.

We're having fun with the dialogue and the combat, but gently caress, the game has some serious usability problems that should've been caught. We'd blame it on being a port from the consoles (the camera issue, especially), but this is still simple poo poo that could've been fixed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The real thing dragging Saint's Row the Third down is that it's not Saint's Row 2 or IV. It's still a good game, even given its problems from THQ's handling of it. But two things have really started bothering me about it since I've started replaying it.

1. The radio isn't good. Each station has two, maybe three really good songs tops, and the rest just miss the mark by a long way. Special mention to how badly they hosed up The Mix, having failed so phenomenally at making a 'classic pop' station that I often forget I'm actually listening to it. A lot of these songs aren't bad, but they're so far away from what you want from the Mix that it just doesn't work.

2. There's some really loving awesome missions, but it misplaces its climaxes. The two best missions in terms of both scope and gameplay are stuck in the middle of the game (http://deckers.die) and an epilogue that SRIV immediately makes non-canon (STAG Film), and while they're both fantastic missions to play, they come at the wrong times. Especially given that STAG Film includes a payoff to something that, otherwise, is never realized.

I'm not sure how it could've been written for it, but I think it would've worked better to have the Deckers as the last gang you face (making http://deckers.die the gang finale), and then have the actual 'final mission', Three Way, incorporate the Daedalus that makes STAG Film great.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Jun 21, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Morpheus posted:

Playing Dungeon Siege III with a friend at the moment. It's...it's not a great game. But there are three problems with it that really make the experience a lot less enjoyable than it could be, three things that don't exactly require a redesign of the game's mechanics.

1) The camera is loving awful. You'd think with two players on separate computers that you'd each get your own camera, but no - you share a camera and must stay within range of each other at all times, even if the other person dies. This leads to deaths. Wouldn't be so bad if the camera angle wasn't zoomed so loving close to your character that you can't see what's more than five meters ahead of you. Also you can't change the pitch, or the zoom, the best you can do is turn it.

2) Lack of checkpoints. You die, you lose all your progress since your last save. This can get really, really loving annoying since save point placement is often poorly done, like a cutscene, conversation, four battles, another conversation, and a boss before you see another checkpoint, hope you don't die and have to do all that poo poo again!

3) No large map. There's a minimap, but god help you if you want to zoom out to get your bearing. Lots of getting lost, lots of consulting online guides because when they say "Go to Stonebridge" there is literally no goddamn way to know where that is. Oh, and quest markers only appear when they are close on the minimap, there's no arrow or anything pointing you in their direction.

We're having fun with the dialogue and the combat, but gently caress, the game has some serious usability problems that should've been caught. We'd blame it on being a port from the consoles (the camera issue, especially), but this is still simple poo poo that could've been fixed.

Have you heard about Jayne Kessinder yet? I've heard that Jayne is a real bad woman, did you know Jayne destroyed the old Legion? She's a bad woman that Jayne Kessinder!

Get used to hearing that name through out Dungeon Siege 3!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Rise of the Triad 2013: The loving jumping puzzles. The shooting is great, the map design is very fun, the enemies are funny, the weapons all feel amazing, the soundtrack(s!) is FANTASTIC.

And then they have levels where you HAVE to navigate tricky jumps with horrible physics. I don't mind the regular jump pad to change levels, but instadeath pits with terrible jump pad puzzles?

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Episode 2 level 2 almost made me quit the thing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Luisfe posted:

Rise of the Triad 2013: The loving jumping puzzles. The shooting is great, the map design is very fun, the enemies are funny, the weapons all feel amazing, the soundtrack(s!) is FANTASTIC.

And then they have levels where you HAVE to navigate tricky jumps with horrible physics. I don't mind the regular jump pad to change levels, but instadeath pits with terrible jump pad puzzles?

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Episode 2 level 2 almost made me quit the thing.

ROTT also launched without a quicksave function. At least they patched one in. That game is terrible.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Judge Tesla posted:

Have you heard about Jayne Kessinder yet? I've heard that Jayne is a real bad woman, did you know Jayne destroyed the old Legion? She's a bad woman that Jayne Kessinder!

That gets old in the demo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Watch Dogs there's a multiplayer mode called "Decryption" which is basically a version of capture the flag where you can steal the file back by just being close to the enemy. It also has a percentage that goes up based on how long the file is being held and whoever has the file at 100% wins. The problem is that this number stops going up whenever someone uses a blackout or com jams item (everyone gets one of each and they refill when you die and respawn) and you can end up with a match where everyone just spams either of those at the end so nobody gets the 100% and the game times out. 11

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

muscles like this? posted:

In Watch Dogs there's a multiplayer mode called "Decryption" which is basically a version of capture the flag where you can steal the file back by just being close to the enemy. It also has a percentage that goes up based on how long the file is being held and whoever has the file at 100% wins. The problem is that this number stops going up whenever someone uses a blackout or com jams item (everyone gets one of each and they refill when you die and respawn) and you can end up with a match where everyone just spams either of those at the end so nobody gets the 100% and the game times out. 11

On the other hand, those matches tend to turn into a very funny demolition derby style game when everyone steals a car. :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I liked Missing Link a lot, though I was annoyed at having all my points taken away :argh:
The boss battleat the end was the best: I invisoed up to the second level and waited outside a door for the enemy inside to come out. He did and I knocked him out, and noticed as he fell to the floor tha I'd just punched out the antagonist! I was literally a minute into the fight and had to keep sneaking around taking out the rest of the soldiers.

One little thing that really annoyed me in DXHR was that you only ever recharge two energy cells. Apparently one in the original version? So to be an effective invisible melee fighter you have to be constantly chomping down candy. Why on earth are there not augments for recharging more energy cells?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The boss battle on its own was decent enough, yeah. Enemies possibly a little on the clairvoyant side notwithstanding. Maybe if I replay the game I'll be a little easier on the DLC now that I know what to expect and can spec Adam accordingly (i.e. get the drat cloaking system and spend less on the hacking because codes are everywhere), even though it goes a little against the spirit of Deus Ex but eh, it's side story DLC.

I see your point on the recharging but I can't be too hard on that one because I invisi-melee chumps all the time and still carry more candy than a pedophile.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the point about the recharging was just how effective the melee was kind of makes the game super easy if you just abuse that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Judge Tesla posted:

Every time we hear her name, my friend and I just repeat it in the most booming sound possible.

JEYNE KASSYNDER
JEYNE KASSYNDER

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My Lovely Horse posted:

The boss battle on its own was decent enough, yeah. Enemies possibly a little on the clairvoyant side notwithstanding. Maybe if I replay the game I'll be a little easier on the DLC now that I know what to expect and can spec Adam accordingly (i.e. get the drat cloaking system and spend less on the hacking because codes are everywhere), even though it goes a little against the spirit of Deus Ex but eh, it's side story DLC.

I see your point on the recharging but I can't be too hard on that one because I invisi-melee chumps all the time and still carry more candy than a pedophile.

Yeah when I played HR I had just come off the original where you need to chow down on health packs until you find the regeneration aug, and then you chow down on bio cells, so having full health regeneration and even a single cell of energy regeneration was more than I was used to.

Still miss individual body part damage though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's a bugbear I have with FPS games that either give enemies weapons that I can't use, or give me weapons that you never see any other character using, and the reason I feel this way is probably too much Half-Life 2. I don't like the interaction with the snipers because they're actually just a hidden entity spewing bullets down the blue-death beam - you never see anyone firing the rifle, much less you. Meanwhile Gordon gets a hold of a rebar crossbow and a .357 magnum that were seemingly put in the world exclusively for his benefit, along with their ammunition - the closest you get to seeing anyone else using them is a corpse kind of sort of posed nearby.

Far Cry 3 is better about this, but there are still a few guns that you can only purchase from stores, and will never encounter in the single-player campaign otherwise.

Enemy soldiers in FEAR will use every weapon in the game against you (IIRC) except for the pistols - probably because it would require a whole bunch of new animations. Still, I can deal.

In Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, any human NPC can use any weapon - unfortunately this sometimes means an enemy will reach some interesting unique weapon before you can, which can be really confusing and occasionally even make it impossible for you to get it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm really glad marlow briggs is not very long. Because it likes to crash on me for no apparent reason, no error, no nothing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

ROTT also launched without a quicksave function. At least they patched one in. That game is terrible.

Don't forget that they tried to defend the lack of quicksaving via 50% :spergin: This is how it's supposed to be! :spergin: and 50% :cry: B-b-b-but it's hard to program that in! :cry:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Don't forget that they tried to defend the lack of quicksaving via 50% :spergin: This is how it's supposed to be! :spergin: and 50% :cry: B-b-b-but it's hard to program that in! :cry:

Looks like that it getting more common, Bioshock Infinite has no manual save and because of that delightful choice I've had to play quite a few areas over and over again. Basically if you want to play small chunks of BI at a time you can go gently caress yourself.

Reminder that Doom3 on XBox1 (the first xbox not the third one) had quicksave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this? posted:

I think the point about the recharging was just how effective the melee was kind of makes the game super easy if you just abuse that.

I was amazed when I discovered that those heavily armoured dudes that can take a million bullets to the face are knocked out cold by one punch, just like everyone else.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat Jedi Outcast for the first time today. While most of the game is fantastic, there's a few things dragging it down. First, the level after they give you your lightsaber is terrible, and filled with snipers that you can't deflect. Second, there's a stupid forced stealth section near the end, though thankfully you can stand next to the alarm panels if you get caught. Finally, some of the puzzles and ways to progress the levels are obtuse, at least in my experience. It's a great game, but I still think I like Jedi Academy a bit more.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Arma 3: The physic AI. Or AI with loving hawk sight. Maybe I am just really loving blind and bad at the game, but it borders on ridiculous on how well the AI can spot and immediately shoot me from several hundred meters out. In this one mission you take over a radio tower, and you use mortars to soften the base up so another squad can rush in while you attack after calling the targets to the mortar team. My squad charge in, the other squad is already in the base and shooting up people, the loving second I make it up the hill I immediately get popped in the head. I thought it was kinda funny actually in an :owned: sense, but still this guy was in a firefight with another squad and immediately turns to me the second I expose my dome?

It got even dumber later on when you have to defend against a counter attack, I saw 2 jeeps driving towards the base and ordered the mortar team to fire at a crossroad. Well lucky me, the jeeps stop right at the crossroads, all the men get out... form a line and look right at me as I'm peeking through my binocs from a large loving distance and I barely duck in time as every loving soldier fires at me. Then the mortars drop and killed all of them in a single blast. Thats pretty loving ridiculous, I should think that was awesome but all I can think of is that the only reason it happened was cause the entire AI force promptly zeroed in on me and started firing.

Also I swear to god if there is a "twist" here in campaign where this guy that is leader us is really actually a bad guy I'm going to rub magnets all over my hard drive in rage cause its so loving obvious

And whoever coded in the exhaustion can go gently caress themselves. Yeah I love it when the AI outruns me and I can't keep up unless I want to spend the next 10 second firefight with my aim being thrown all over the place or I can walk normal (Where I'll still have an asthma attack) and watch half my AI partners die cause they're pretty bad at defending themselves.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Arma 3: The physic AI. Or AI with loving hawk sight. Maybe I am just really loving blind and bad at the game, but it borders on ridiculous on how well the AI can spot and immediately shoot me from several hundred meters out.
I feel your pain. Trying to find fixes for the psychic AI leads to forums where everyone is saying "Nuh-uh thats just like real life. Go back to playing CoD you loving kid." I compensated by turning the AI skill level waaaaay down in the options menu which, as far as I know, only controls the AI's accuracy because they seem to behave roughly the same.

While ARMA III is definitely prettier, smoother running, more intuitive, and larger scoped than ARMA II. ARMA II had much better AI when it came to having dynamic/interesting firefights, especially with some of the awesome mods that have been released.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've been replaying Saints Row IV lately, and I've reached Asha's rescue mission and just lost all desire to continue. The best parts of the game are mostly done, and though there are some good bits after that I just don't feel the motivation to get through this awful mission to get to them. The mission is basically just a parody of stealth games and they stretch the joke pretty thin, so it's funny once, but on the replay that aspect is lost and all you're left with is how tedious and difficult it is. And all for the sake of rescuing a character who isn't in the previous games and is barely in this one, so you have absolutely no reason to care about her. I don't think she even does anything of value once you do rescue her.

I probably wouldn't have bothered playing the final mission again either though, as that one was kind of a chore the first time.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The frame story in the Assassin's Creed series. I don't care about any of these guys just let me murder some historical figures.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
NuTomb Raider's subtitles are ugly. This is the only time I opted out of them because they took me out of the game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Leal posted:

Arma 3: The physic AI. Or AI with loving hawk sight. Maybe I am just really loving blind and bad at the game, but it borders on ridiculous on how well the AI can spot and immediately shoot me from several hundred meters out. In this one mission you take over a radio tower, and you use mortars to soften the base up so another squad can rush in while you attack after calling the targets to the mortar team. My squad charge in, the other squad is already in the base and shooting up people, the loving second I make it up the hill I immediately get popped in the head. I thought it was kinda funny actually in an :owned: sense, but still this guy was in a firefight with another squad and immediately turns to me the second I expose my dome?

It got even dumber later on when you have to defend against a counter attack, I saw 2 jeeps driving towards the base and ordered the mortar team to fire at a crossroad. Well lucky me, the jeeps stop right at the crossroads, all the men get out... form a line and look right at me as I'm peeking through my binocs from a large loving distance and I barely duck in time as every loving soldier fires at me. Then the mortars drop and killed all of them in a single blast. Thats pretty loving ridiculous, I should think that was awesome but all I can think of is that the only reason it happened was cause the entire AI force promptly zeroed in on me and started firing.

Also I swear to god if there is a "twist" here in campaign where this guy that is leader us is really actually a bad guy I'm going to rub magnets all over my hard drive in rage cause its so loving obvious

And whoever coded in the exhaustion can go gently caress themselves. Yeah I love it when the AI outruns me and I can't keep up unless I want to spend the next 10 second firefight with my aim being thrown all over the place or I can walk normal (Where I'll still have an asthma attack) and watch half my AI partners die cause they're pretty bad at defending themselves.

The only twist is me wanting to twist off my own dick and use it to write an angry letter to BIS after completion.

This campaign started out strong on part 1. 2 was good as well. 3 is an utter loving catastrophe, and reminds me of ArmA1's campaign. Shits unjustifiable. Its 4 AM and Im mad just mentioning it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The reinforcements in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Units will just pop out after you end your turn and immediately attack. Sometimes it's telegraphed in text but mostly the game just does it. This would be fine except that I'm playing on hard and I've has to restart my game several times over weaker units getting killed before I even have a chance to respond. :argh:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am not sure if this has been brought up, but I wanted to touch on Civ 5. I feel like the game does so many things so right but drops the ball on a few.

One of these is City States. I've been playing a lot of multiplayer games with my buddy and a lot of them are quite fun! But...its frustrating that it always seems to come down to who can buy the most city states. Get the city states, and you win eventually. Also, once you get a hold on a city state its very difficult to hold on to them because of the pay-for-loyalty aspect. Why make a game so dynamic with all of the diplomacy, but have City States pledge allegiance to whoever pays them the most? We have alliances for 300 years and someone builds Big Ben and whoa, we love YOU now, have all our troops! They could have done a lot more with it with not a lot of effort and thats kind of a bummer.

Also, ideologies. The Freedom ideology is so ridiculously over powered. There is hardly ever a reason to go anything but. You get bonuses to city states, increased happiness and growth, bonus production and science from specialists, the list goes on. Autacracy is useful for war and ONLY war, but useful. Order is.....a watered down version of both. It has no bonus for city states and does absolutely nothing for you're growth unless you're a massive sprawling empire. How can they make such important decisions so over and under powered? Another frustration with an otherwise excellent game.

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Jun 28, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jastiger posted:

I am not sure if this has been brought up, but I wanted to touch on Civ 4. I feel like the game does so many things so right but drops the ball on a few.

One of these is City States. I've been playing a lot of multiplayer games with my buddy and a lot of them are quite fun! But...its frustrating that it always seems to come down to who can buy the most city states. Get the city states, and you win eventually. Also, once you get a hold on a city state its very difficult to hold on to them because of the pay-for-loyalty aspect. Why make a game so dynamic with all of the diplomacy, but have City States pledge allegiance to whoever pays them the most? We have alliances for 300 years and someone builds Big Ben and whoa, we love YOU now, have all our troops! They could have done a lot more with it with not a lot of effort and thats kind of a bummer.

Also, ideologies. The Freedom ideology is so ridiculously over powered. There is hardly ever a reason to go anything but. You get bonuses to city states, increased happiness and growth, bonus production and science from specialists, the list goes on. Autacracy is useful for war and ONLY war, but useful. Order is.....a watered down version of both. It has no bonus for city states and does absolutely nothing for you're growth unless you're a massive sprawling empire. How can they make such important decisions so over and under powered? Another frustration with an otherwise excellent game.

Are you really talking about Civ 4 or did you meant Civ 5? Either case, I never played Civ 4, but most of your criticism could apply to Civ 5 too (and I would agree).

For content: I love Civ 5, but the combat is awful, just awful and stupid. Combat was never the most interesting aspect of this series, but used to be simple enough, at least, and fun.

But in Civ 5 they really screwed it, its more nonsensical than ever, its confuse, its tiresome, it is a complete chore, specially moving the loving units. The only way I can play Civ 5 is being a pacifist, the moment I have to wage war, I hate the game.

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jun 28, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Also, once you get a hold on a city state its very difficult to hold on to them because of the pay-for-loyalty aspect. Why make a game so dynamic with all of the diplomacy, but have City States pledge allegiance to whoever pays them the most? We have alliances for 300 years and someone builds Big Ben and whoa, we love YOU now, have all our troops! They could have done a lot more with it with not a lot of effort and thats kind of a bummer.
I assume you're talking about Civ 5, because I don't think this stuff was in 4 (although I skipped that one). Anyway, I found basically the opposite. Once you're allied with a few city states the extra resources you get make it really easy to win over other city states as well as keeping the ones you've got. It really does seem like city states are basically the thing you need to win though, and the AI civs don't value them anywhere near highly enough.

Jastiger posted:

Also, ideologies.
I was surprised that there were only three ideologies, it doesn't seem like enough. And by the time I unlocked them they seemed pretty unnecessary. The policies are weird too, since some of them seem to be just vastly superior to others.

I've got Gods and Kings and Brave New World and I'm not sure what specifically is added by each of them and what's in the base game, but religion and culture seem pretty weird to me as well. Any time I've come close to a culture victory I've been even closer to a diplomatic victory, even when I was specifically aiming for a culture victory. Diplomatic is just easier. In fact, it seems to be the easiest victory option of all (unless you count time, which I see more as not losing rather than actually winning). And I can't really tell what the point of spreading your religion is. Depending on your choices when you create it you get certain things for having more followers, but it feels like there should be some inherent point to converting another nation to your religion, but there don't seem to be. In fact, having other nations share your religion just gives them more world council votes if you make it the world religion.

I like the world council though, that's pretty cool. And the ban on unit stacking is fantastic, since it means AI civs don't just send a billion units to attack you any more. In fact, the AIs seem a lot less aggressive in general than they were in the older games. You no longer get to the point where everyone just turns hostile and attacks you all the time for no reason.

My main complaint with it though is that it still takes forever to play. A tiny world, 4 civs, the quick game mode and it still takes me almost eight hours to finish a game. And if I play for a couple of hours then leave it for a week, by the time I get back I've forgotten what's going on and it takes more effort to get back into it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I know it's kind of lame to complain about trophies/achievements since they're completely optional and useless, but gently caress the drinking game in Watch Dogs, gently caress Ubisoft for loading their otherwise decent open world games with lovely mini games, and gently caress Ubisoft again for making you master them to get 100%. For those who haven't played it, the drinking game requires you to use the analogue sticks to guide a cursor into a little bubble where you have to maintain it for a few seconds. The cursor moves on its own and reacts wildly to your inputs, so getting it to hold still is hard enough. Eventually the game makes you maintain both the right and left analogue sticks and then starts doing poo poo like inverting your controls. The cherry on this poo poo sundae is when you lose the game dumps you off away from the starting point and makes you sober up before you can try again, and you have to play through several phases to get back to where you left off. You never really get a decent chance to practice because it takes a good 3-5 minutes before you can get back to the point where you lost.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I meant Civ 5! Sorry!

That is how it is with City States. You get a few and steam roll them all or you just get into an endless bidding war with other players/civs for them. Its especially frustrating when the ideologies give bonuses to city states and they are the main way you win. There should be a little extra depth there, I think.

And as Tiggum said, its just clear that some ideology policies are just simply BETTER. Half unhappiness from specialists is HUGE and is unmatched in any other ideology. It sounds like a great idea, but they implemented it poorly I think.

The World Council makes a lot of sense, I think, I just wish they changed the way the votes worked from city states and gave you the ability to go "rogue" and have everyone hate you if you wanted to.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

poptart_fairy posted:

That's what the amazing multiplayer is for.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

The frame story in the Assassin's Creed series. I don't care about any of these guys just let me murder some historical figures.

Yeah, the modern parts of the story are pretty poo poo, but overall I thought Ubisoft took what was presented in AC1 and ran way too far with it. Does literally every accomplishment in human history that was worth anything have to be because of the Precursors/their artefacts? Does every important historical figure have to be an Assassin or Templar? poo poo got boring quick and also I don't like the idea that nobody on Earth that isn't in on Conspiracy A or Conspiracy B and/or a descendent of Alien Jesus can ever be worth anything or do anything important.

On more of a gameplay note, ACIV's combat all felt strangely floaty and impactless. In the other AC games it at least felt like you were violently murdering people - Edward Kenway just sorta flies around, smacks people and they fall down if they feel like. Maybe because every kill is some flashy ten hit combo kind of thing instead of the "bam, dead" of the others.

Oh, and someone on the last page wondered if there was a game where you play as the secret police. If you're looking for something like that, Floor 13 from way back in 1992 might be up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Does literally every accomplishment in human history that was worth anything have to be because of the Precursors/their artefacts? Does every important historical figure have to be an Assassin or Templar?

I absolutely hate any use of the "Ancient Aliens" trope for exactly this reason.