Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

You like literally everything.

It's a nice change of pace than the usual malcontents around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

I respect most things and find a few things to truly hate. You want to hear about me hating something? I'll tell you about To Love and Die, a horrific pilot that USA burned off at the end of...I want to say 2008. Anybody who has ever uttered the phrase "bad *" to criticize television should watch that two hour mess of sub-par chick-lit masquerading as an action-comedy that had neither action nor comedy.

Want something more recent? I thought Maleficent was a straight up dumpster fire. I don't have anything but empathy for its director (Robert Stromberg), but I hope whoever signed off on him got randomly punched in his loving face sometime after.

Edit: IN HIS loving FACE.

If you ever watched more than the opening credits (which are top 5 worst ever), you would also loathe The L Word. I have a very good feeling about this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

xeria posted:

If you ever watched more than the opening credits (which are top 5 worst ever), you would also loathe The L Word. I have a very good feeling about this.

What are your top 5 worst opening credits? I feel like The Mindy Project has gotta be up there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

What are your top 5 worst opening credits? I feel like The Mindy Project has gotta be up there.

"Mwa mwa mwa mwa mwamwamwamwa" is bad, but at least its only fifteen seconds long. Boardwalk Empire's theme sounds like a terrible Grateful Dead tribute band crashing hard at the end of a concert, and it goes on FOREVER.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Mindy Project is definitely in there for me. L Word might just be the worst of all time, though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcE5k6YUYFI

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

No worst opening credit list is complete without the honorable mention of Newsroom. So pretentious, self fellating and grandiose it had to be completely replaced between seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yulGicUzS4

vv Homeland gave us Homelamb's opening so at least something good came of it

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 28, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Homeland.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes and Friends, for that loving song.

But how about we talk about the best opening themes instead? Mine are Game of Thrones, E.R., Sleepy Hollow and Arrow

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes

Short openings rule, more time for programming and less fast-forwarding during marathons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hkNoyHkRE

e. I love the Fringe opening both by itself and because they went to the trouble to make 7 different versions to reflect the different time periods and dimensions the episodes took place in. It was a pretty ingenious plot device because in season 3 it meant you didn't have to waste any time establishing which universe the episode took place in, the opening credits did it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKHc7pKZdj0

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It's been a long road,
Gettin' from there to here.
It's been a long time,
But my time is finally near.
And I will see my dream come alive at last.
I will touch the sky.
And they're not gonna to hold me down no more.
No, they're not gonna to change my mind.
'Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got faith to believe.
I can do any-thing.

Rarity posted:

Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes and Friends, for that loving song.

Goons ruined this one for me by pointing out the pixelation on the "S."

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The Friends opening is just ducky except for on the DVD (I donno if they did it on the original broadcast) where they literally "spoil" the entire episode in the credits clip sequence.

It's the episode where Monica and Chandler first get together in London, and the opening credits shows the part where they wake up naked in bed together.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Psych. I hate that loving song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Homeland opening is awesome, you jerks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really like the Homeland intro. Disorienting and a little creepy. I actually sit through it most of the time.

Game of Thrones though is so boring. Kinda neat for a couple times but i just skip it now. Haven't watched it in 3 seasons.

Carnivale still has the best intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTCtwNIYaQ

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Game of Thrones though is so boring. Kinda neat for a couple times but i just skip it now. Haven't watched it in 3 seasons.

I'm not a big fan of the GoT theme either, but I love that its essentially the nerd maps printed at the beginning of every fantasy book since LotR adapted to television.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PriorMarcus posted:

Psych. I hate that loving song.

Sometimes, extremely very rarely, at the dawn of a blue moon, when a pig flies and an angel gets its wings, sometimes I see why BrooklynBruiser had a vendetta against you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is Mr. Feeny a ghost now? That's really my only curiosity about Girl Meets World. I hope he slowly drives Cory to insanity over the course of several seasons. Or maybe haunts the family Trans Am, offering homespun wisdom to the daughter as she learns to drive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Sometimes, extremely very rarely, at the dawn of a blue moon, when a pig flies and an angel gets its wings, sometimes I see why BrooklynBruiser had a vendetta against you.

He really did. It was pretty extreme too for a while, he would send me angry PM's and everything.

I get why people would like that opening though, unlike say, The Mindy Project's. Though I just dislike that show in general.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bown posted:

The Homeland opening is awesome, you jerks.
YOU'RE THE SMARTEST AND THE DUMBEST FUCKIN' PERSON I EVER MET

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I love Boardwalk Empire to death but man it really deserves better opening credits. Band of Brothers though, that's a show with opening credits that perfectly set the mood of depressing yet somewhat hopeful. God drat I need to watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonzHGwLTOw

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I wish Justified got better credits :(.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I disliked the opening to The Pacific, mainly because it was so loving long and boring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Schwimmer was the biggest star of Band of Brothers when it aired.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

But how about we talk about the best opening themes instead? Mine are Game of Thrones, E.R., Sleepy Hollow and Arrow

Did you just slam Lost for having a 10 second opening theme and then immediately say Arrow is one of your favorites when it's about the exact same length?

Two of my favorite current openings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZTdiPGcTiI

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Rarity posted:

Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes
No that was Alias and 24.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

No that was Alias and 24.

Zuh? Alias never had that short of a title opening. Sometimes it skipped the opening completely, or the cold open would last for 20 minutes and then they would cut to it...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love the opening for Elementary. Never fails to get me in the mood to solve some poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sopranos is the best ever, peace.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deadpool posted:

Did you just slam Lost for having a 10 second opening theme and then immediately say Arrow is one of your favorites when it's about the exact same length?

Arrow is the exception that proves the rule because that high-intensity music sting is perfect for the show.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Shadow Line opening titles are pretty great and hella ominous.

Should I watch Vikings?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes it is good and cool.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Vikings being pretty good was a huge surprise when I first started watching because the initial promo just kind of made it look like some weird, cheap History channel cash-in on GoT.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Breaking Bad has a really good opening theme

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also enjoy your new man crush on Travis Fimmel's eyes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zaggitz posted:

Should I watch Vikings?

Yes.

zoux posted:

Also enjoy your new man crush on Travis Fimmel's eyes.

Also enjoy the wonder that is Floki.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 28, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Breaking Bad has a really good opening theme

The music is good, but the actual credits always looked cheap to me. Especially the title wipe with the smoke.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So when does Parks & Rec really take off? I've watched some of the later episodes on friends' recommendations and I loved them, so I figured I'd start watching the whole series from the beginning. I started season 1 and it's like there's a few chuckles here and there, but these episodes aren't nearly as funny as the ones I've seen from later in the series.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So when does Parks & Rec really take off? I've watched some of the later episodes on friends' recommendations and I loved them, so I figured I'd start watching the whole series from the beginning. I started season 1 and it's like there's a few chuckles here and there, but these episodes aren't nearly as funny as the ones I've seen from later in the series.

season 2, 1 sucks just don't watch it

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Austrian mook posted:

season 2, 1 sucks just don't watch it

I never got through 1, but if you have a chance you should try; I'm told it sets up a few running jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Season 1 is reaaaallly rough, but it's also like 6 episodes and is, you know, the introduction of most of the characters and the show. Just breeze through them and then you'll appreciate it that much more when the show suddenly becomes really funny.

• Locked thread