Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holeee shiiit. 72 hour shortribs seasoned with a spice mix are amazing. :stare:

Will post recipe and pics after I do another batch. This one was just too delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
That's ridiculous. My cheap PID controller automatically goes back to previous settings after a power outage, or whenever I use it actually, which means it remembers settings from months without any issue. I wanted to upgrade to something like the Anova, but that's a serious flaw for something that can cook for days.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

ShadowCatboy posted:

Holeee shiiit. 72 hour shortribs seasoned with a spice mix are amazing. :stare:

Will post recipe and pics after I do another batch. This one was just too delicious.

Please do, I just bought some today ! At least the temperature.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Spatule posted:

That's ridiculous. My cheap PID controller automatically goes back to previous settings after a power outage, or whenever I use it actually, which means it remembers settings from months without any issue. I wanted to upgrade to something like the Anova, but that's a serious flaw for something that can cook for days.

That will be super nice the day you lose power for 8 hours straight and never even realize it.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

deimos posted:

That will be super nice the day you lose power for 8 hours straight and never even realize it.

IF this ever happened, and so far it never has in the last 30 years, I would see that the various clocks/alarms and appliances like the microwave display the wrong time or just the default --:-- .
The duration of the outage would be the difference between my watch and what the alarm clock says (for example) and I could thus decide to trash or not the food I was cooking.
Still better than the Anova.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That'll really come in handy once every thirty years.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
What's the best UPS to buy for my Anova?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Foodahn posted:

Related:

I bought an Anova (the original), I haven't received it yet but I have a question: what happens if the power goes off for a second or two? Is it basically '...welp'?

If you order an Anova from Amazon like me, just assume that the shipping times are completely made up. Amazon said to expect it June 24-27 and it showed up today.

I don't know what to cook.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phantom Limb posted:

I betcha something like this would manage.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500-LCD-UPS-1.2-kW-1200-VA/2940077.aspx

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

Phantom Limb posted:

I betcha something like this would manage.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500-LCD-UPS-1.2-kW-1200-VA/2940077.aspx

Hopefully it was a joke. This isn't something we worried about before and it isn't something we should worry about now. No one has a UPS for their oven or electric smoker and they don't need them for a sous vide circulator.

I have that UPS for a workstation and it is pretty nice, I guess it would work for an anova for very short outages (a few min at a time). If someone wants to spend $900 and then a few hundred every couple years on batteries to protect $20 worth of ribs have at it. :)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Here's a weird one: could you make cookies or other baked goods that don't have much in the way of rise in a sous-vide? I saw someone make bread, but I'm curious if you could cook it to 'doneness' and then maybe panfry it up to crispy. At this point I've almost certainly made the cookie even more insanely unhealthy, but I'm just curious.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Falcon2001 posted:

Here's a weird one: could you make cookies or other baked goods that don't have much in the way of rise in a sous-vide? I saw someone make bread, but I'm curious if you could cook it to 'doneness' and then maybe panfry it up to crispy. At this point I've almost certainly made the cookie even more insanely unhealthy, but I'm just curious.

Yeah you could cook cookie dough and then fry it in a pan, but also, why? That seems like it's an unnecessary added step, when you'd probably get exactly the same result by simply putting raw cookie dough in a pan.

But also, cookie dough has a large quantity of fat in it, so I think what's more likely to happen is that you end up with a bag of melted cookie dough. v:)v

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Falcon2001 posted:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Yeah you could cook cookie dough and then fry it in a pan, but also, why? That seems like it's an unnecessary added step, when you'd probably get exactly the same result by simply putting raw cookie dough in a pan.

But also, cookie dough has a large quantity of fat in it, so I think what's more likely to happen is that you end up with a bag of melted cookie dough. v:)v

http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2010/08/11/a-half-baked-idea-sous-vide-cookie-dough/

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
According to Yelp, Lazy Bear had "sous vide caramelized cookie dough" on their dessert menu at one point.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Bob_McBob posted:

According to Yelp, Lazy Bear had "sous vide caramelized cookie dough" on their dessert menu at one point.

Yeah, I saw that too: http://www.lazybearsf.com/blog/2011/04/chocolate-chip-.php

It all just looks like a "safe" way to eat raw cookie dough. Might as well just eat raw cookie dough, or make some without egg if you're freaked about salmonella.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I feel like I remember seeing a SV chocolate cake done by some pro chef a few years back.

Anyway, now that Anova is done with their kickstarter, they keep bugging me to fill out my reward survey... so who still wants one? Thinking $130 shipped (be nice if you could cover paypal fees though), US only. I'll have four extras, so I guess first come first served, just post in the thread so I/we can see and I don't get a ton of PMs or people in thread confused if I still have any.

Need contact info and color (red, white or black), and remember these won't actually be shipping for a few months so please don't be flaky or a super recent reg or anything!

edit: also, they are providing 220V cookers with AU, EU or UK plugs too if someone wants one for some reason, but still not interested in shipping outside the US myself, I'll assume 120V unless people say otherwise

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 28, 2014

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Straker posted:

I feel like I remember seeing a SV chocolate cake done by some pro chef a few years back.

Anyway, now that Anova is done with their kickstarter, they keep bugging me to fill out my reward survey... so who still wants one? Thinking $130 shipped (be nice if you could cover paypal fees though), US only. I'll have four extras, so I guess first come first served, just post in the thread so I/we can see and I don't get a ton of PMs or people in thread confused if I still have any.

Need contact info and color (red, white or black), and remember these won't actually be shipping for a few months so please don't be flaky or a super recent reg or anything!

edit: also, they are providing 220V cookers with AU, EU or UK plugs too if someone wants one for some reason, but still not interested in shipping outside the US myself, I'll assume 120V unless people say otherwise

I would be interested in a blue one, please. You can contact me at kalista at gmail dot com, and I'll give address and other info you might need.

Thanks!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Straker posted:

I too would like one. PMed you.

In related news, my Anova started tripping my GFCI breakers the second I tried to turn it on. I tried giving it a month to dry out in case there was moisture inside the electronics but to no avail. I contacted their support and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the unit, and within a week I had a brand new one. Great service!

(The only hiccup was the support person's initial reaction was "check to make sure you're not overloading the breaker by plugging too many things into it"... I had to explain to her how GFCI works - these things have been required by US building codes since the early 70's, surely people know what they do by now?)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
That's one red, one black, who else needs one?!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Straker posted:

That's one red, one black, who else needs one?!

I'm in for one in black! Pm'ed you to work out the details.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
One red, two black, one left!

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Straker posted:

edit: Thanks!

wasey fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 30, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Thanks, looks like they're all spoken for then, see you guys in October.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Straker posted:

I think Kalista wanted blue.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There is no blue option, only black, white, and red.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
yeah he changed his mind to User Choice :) There was also some awful 70s kind of canary yellow color that got like, 80 votes total, and some others that obviously never would have made it. I think blue was like second or third place.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Just did a huge duck breast, 136 for about 2 hours, then seared it, served it in rounds with roasted red pepper and capers. My notoriously picky eater friend (who has never had duck somehow, in spite of being almost 30) loved it, which was a huge bonus.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Straker posted:

yeah he changed his mind to User Choice :) There was also some awful 70s kind of canary yellow color that got like, 80 votes total, and some others that obviously never would have made it. I think blue was like second or third place.

I voted orange. It would have matched my thermapen. :(

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Schpyder posted:

I voted orange. It would have matched my thermapen. :(

British Racing Green or :frogout:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Red Thermapen owners unite

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I need to pick up some foodsaver stuff and there's a sale on:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7034074-foodsaver-sale-buy-one-get-one-50-off-2x-specialty-bags-rolls-starting-from-12-free-shipping-on-25

What're the best deals?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Most of their deals aren't particularly great. I'd skip any of the "specialty bags" and just buy two different roll sizes.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Whoever it was that said cast iron should be left on high for 10 minutes before searing (I think it was this thread) was absolutely right. The pan smoked like hell, but the crust on that steak (ribeye, ~4 hours, 54*C) was perfect. I dried the steaks out of the bag, rubbed them with oil, and threw them in the bastard hot pan for 30-40 seconds a side. No overcooked band of grey crap, just crust, pink innards, crust. Magic.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anyone have any ideas for a Chateaubriand? I am thinking vacuuming it with rosemary, thyme, garlic powder and truffle oil.

Thinking hold 52°C for ~30 minutes on the core then surface of the sun it (griddle on my 125K BTU wok jet burner). Sides TBD but definitely some jus.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Most of their deals aren't particularly great. I'd skip any of the "specialty bags" and just buy two different roll sizes.
The multiroll definitely does seem like the best deal even without the 1 and 1 at 50% off, but even though it's listed as a sale it won't check out with a discount :iiam:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I just got a roll of this and it lasts forever.

http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Vacuum-Sealer-Commercial-Grade/dp/B0063HZVBC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404874951&sr=8-2&keywords=food+saver+roll

Works fine. Unless you need their special bags for some reason.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I've got a Dorkfood DSV but I'm definitely interested in the Anova to give to my sister and to have more options; if anyone else is doing a bundle purchase I'll gladly take one off your hands.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Was going to two three different meals, so I stuck a big thick strip steak in one bag and two double-cut pork chips in another and threw them in a 125-degree bath.

40 minutes before a tree fell across my power line. Utility says they'll have it working again by Saturday. Fuuuuuuck.

deimos posted:

125 seems extremely low. But sorry for your loss.

Was gonna finish the pork in a pan sauce with fennel and mustard and vermouth so it was gonna wind up cooking hotter than that in the final analysis. Not like it matters at this point. :argh:

At least this is just before I move when I've pretty much cleaned everything perishable out of the fridge already, and not right after I move when I've just filled it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 9, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Was going to two three different meals, so I stuck a big thick strip steak in one bag and two double-cut pork chips in another and threw them in a 125-degree bath.

40 minutes before a tree fell across my power line. Utility says they'll have it working again by Saturday. Fuuuuuuck.

125 seems extremely low. But sorry for your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's the temperature for rare steak.