Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Bought a 335i at a used car dealership three weeks ago after first doing a test drive and research before dropping $20,000. Twenty minutes after driving it off of the lot, the engine lights pops on. I told the guy who sold it to me and said he would "take care of me." I took the car to a shop they booked it in which resulted in sitting there for about 8 freakin' days.
The car would stall and have rough idles. After "fixing it", I got the car back to only have the light pop on again. I took it back and this time they told me there was a possible leak but didn't have a smoke machine to diagnose it properly. Before leaving the shop, I asked exactly what was wrong with the car and they never gave me a straight answer. Even when I would call on a daily basis to get an update on the status of the car, the manager would dance around my questions and wouldn't answer anything. Sketchy.

I took the car to a different garage for the smoke test and was called back a few hours later telling me there are quite a few issues with the car. The rough idling issue continued and they have diagnosed it as bad fuel injectors. The problem with getting this fixed is that the place I bought it from has told the manager of the new shop that he's not paying for any of the fixes (this was yesterday). They tried cleaning the injectors thoroughly but are confident they need to be replaced.

So, that's where I'm at. I bought a car 3 weeks ago to have issues with it right off of the lot. They have a 30 day power train warranty and from my understanding, power train warranty does not include injectors. What exactly can I legally do? They told me the car was running perfectly but it was obviously not.

Also, this is in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
In America it's called "Give me my loving money back or I'll have (lawer, cop, etc) in here!". There are laws for this kind of rip-off, I can't imagine Canada being much different.

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo
Who did you buy the vehicle from? Did you do any sort of inspection before the vehicle was bought? Any other specs of the vehicle (km, year, etc.)?

Here's what the Office of Consumer Affairs says:

quote:

If you have unknowingly purchased a defective used vehicle from a Canadian auto dealer, you can contact your provincial or territorial consumer protection authorities. Whether the vehicle was originally purchased by the dealer in Canada or in the United States, consumers purchasing used vehicles in Canada from an auto dealer can check to see how they are protected by their province's or territory's consumer protection laws.

Believe the BC one is called the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority (of BC). Call them and see what they can do (link: http://www.mvsabc.com/consumers/consumer-complaints).

I don't know a ton about fixing cars but DO NOT RUSH INTO ANY RESOLUTION WITH THE DEALERSHIP WITHOUT EVALUATING YOUR ALTERNATIVES. Take your time and make sure that: i) they don't gently caress up your car (even more) and ii) they can't legally weasel their way out of it. I'm looking at used cars now too so I feel your pain.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It sounds like the places you've been taking the car to don't really know that much about working on them.

What year 335i? 2010 or older? You might wanna post in the BMW thread

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Party Alarm posted:

It sounds like the places you've been taking the car to don't really know that much about working on them.

What year 335i? 2010 or older? You might wanna post in the BMW thread

The first shop sure seemed that way. I have a feeling they work closely in conjunction with the dealer I bought it from and did as little as possible to make it look like they fixed it. It's a 2010 with just under 100,000 km's on it.

I actually just spoke to the financing department. The person seemed shocked that I was having issues with this car. She said she is talking with the manager and will try and get it sorted it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This is why you never, ever buy a used BMW that doesn't have full, detailed service records, and always get a pre-purchase inspection from an independent shop that's familiar with BMWs before you buy it.

Lots of people that really can't afford them buy them, then ditch them as soon as all the issues resulting from a lack of regular maintenance start adding up to huge repair bills for their negligence. Then some poor guy buys the pending disaster without doing their due diligence first and gets bit in the rear end like you just did when they find out the repair bills for all the poo poo the PO let break from neglect end up costing more than they paid for the car.

Condolences dude, hope you can get your money back.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Condolences dude, hope you can get your money back.

This is the only outcome you should accept from this and once you have your money back don't buy another loving used BMW.

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo

xzoto1 posted:

The first shop sure seemed that way. I have a feeling they work closely in conjunction with the dealer I bought it from and did as little as possible to make it look like they fixed it. It's a 2010 with just under 100,000 km's on it.

I actually just spoke to the financing department. The person seemed shocked that I was having issues with this car. She said she is talking with the manager and will try and get it sorted it.

Call the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority in the meantime. The dealer is going to look for the cheapest solution to this problem. It wants to minimize its costs and any legal recourse you might have.

Figure out the rights afforded to you by your province and what you're entitled to. Don't just wait around for them to make it right (hint: they won't).

hellzno fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All dealers are scum, every one, no exceptions.

Be prepared for a fight. If you financed through them, and are able to get out from under the lemon they dumped on you, they'll probably try to gently caress you there too.

Research your rights, if you are legally entitled to return the car, request it in writing, preferably through registered mail. Request any response to be in writing as well. You want a paper trail of their fuckery.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 29, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Wheeee posted:

This is the only outcome you should accept from this and once you have your money back don't buy another loving used BMW.

There's been several million transactions of used BMWs by other people that had no issues.

This is poo poo that can happen with ANY used car. Just BMW is more sensitive to non being looked after, and why so many people say have a PPI done.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Over the last couple years of owning BMWs I've developed a saying. "Don't buy a used BMW unless you love doing all your own maintenance and repairs; don't buy a late model used BMW unless you love doing all your own maintenance and repairs and love chasing gremlins in a proprietary computer system."

I think you'll be ok though, the dealer is going to make it hard but I'm pretty confident the law is on your side here.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is poo poo that can happen with ANY used car. Just BMW is more sensitive to non being looked after, and why so many people say have a PPI done.

Sure but your chances of this happening with a twin turbo BMW are far greater than with most cars, even the immediate Japanese competition.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

Sure but your chances of this happening with a twin turbo BMW are far greater than with most cars, even the immediate Japanese competition.

That's why I said have a ppi done. Sometimes you get handed a poo poo car, no matter the brand.

Unless it's Italian. Then it's just a matter of time when it explodes into a ball of fire.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

dissss posted:

Most BMWs aren't twin turbo. Honestly, if he had come to the BMW thread and asked our advice he wouldn't be in this situation, because the gospel in that thread is get an independent PPI. Always. (And to look for people who aren't afraid to show you maintenance records/receipts.)

Thankfully it looks like the law is on the OP's side, but this kind of poo poo can happen with any used car. And every car maker has something they are known for loving up. (Mercs = lovely wiring harnesses, BMW = God drat Cooling Systems, Rover/British cars = lovely electrics, etc.)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Viper_3000 posted:

Most BMWs aren't twin turbo.

Sure but the one in question is.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

For what it's worth - as another 335i owner, also in Vancouver...What year of 335i is it? There was a recall on fuel injectors on a certain model range, it's possible you may have those, and just be able to get it covered by an actual BMW dealership.

Not to condone the dealer you bought it from loving you around, that is...but it may be a simple fix.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Just to make sure you heard everyone else: Next time take it to an independent or a dealer and pay the $100 for the PPI.

I work at a dealer and at least once a month someone comes in with their shiny used Boxster or 996 for an oil change and an inspection a few weeks AFTER they buy it and I write up an estimate for $5000+ worth of deferred maintenance and leaky/broken poo poo.

PPI; every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bugdrvr posted:

I work at a dealer and at least once a month someone comes in with their shiny used Boxster or 996 for an oil change and an inspection a few weeks AFTER they buy it and I write up an estimate for $5000+ worth of deferred maintenance and leaky/broken poo poo.

German car ownership.txt

• Locked thread