Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

Skroll reminded me that Nunslaughter finally released a new full length album.
Its real good. It also has 31 tracks, which might be a bit much.

Half of them are old 7'' tracks that have been rerecorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MrBling posted:

gently caress yeah. Is it all new material or just a bunch of eps smashed together?

e: ^^^^ there ya go.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Nordick posted:

Yeah, that was posted about a few pages back, and I was REALLY surprised by the quality.
If only Jörn Lande's own solo material was as good as this, because god drat that guy has a great voice.

In other news, Machinae Supremacy just announced their new album, which is coming out in late August. I am so loving stoked.

I tried to search forums for a post; curse you Search the Forums and your ineptitude! :argh:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

muike posted:

why would anyone make a lyrics video ever except for that one about trivium and how they're actually singer about winger

What is this? I searched "Trivium Winger" but nothing came up.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

sleepingbuddha posted:

What is this? I searched "Trivium Winger" but nothing came up.

Probably the old "boat rudder strange mountain" misheard lyrics video of Pull Harder from back in the day, it's still on youtube but it's so old that the audio has gone out of sync.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs
yeah i guess it's all hosed up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i can't believe how much of this i remember

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

They did re-record "God," which has the best video of all time (the original version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_T2DNUgB_0

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
New Tankard came out this week and it's fun as ever. If you're a fan of beer-based metal, you can never go wrong with Tankard.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Seeing Agalloch right now. Truly the best time of the year.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This is a reminder that Ritual Necromancy is the absolute loving poo poo if you want something that is a mixture of Incantation and Portal. I suggest letting both videos buffer and then listening to the first one, then immediately the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McpUKF3Xmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBlbFNzWfg

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Mastodon's biggest issue is that their kinda peerless. Even average songs from then are way better than most. The only other band that I put up with them is Baroness. Blue is right up there with Leviathan for me. I do appreciate the longer song at the end of the new album, I missed that in The Hunter.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Turk February posted:

This is a reminder that Ritual Necromancy is the absolute loving poo poo if you want something that is a mixture of Incantation and Portal. I suggest letting both videos buffer and then listening to the first one, then immediately the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McpUKF3Xmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBlbFNzWfg

Yes, they loving own. Good post.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Acquire Currency! posted:

I think Mastodon's biggest issue is that their kinda peerless. Even average songs from then are way better than most. The only other band that I put up with them is Baroness. Blue is right up there with Leviathan for me. I do appreciate the longer song at the end of the new album, I missed that in The Hunter.

They're decent enough non-metal for when I'm in the mood for something a little lighter. Like when I've listened to Cynic too often and need something different.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw these guys last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6SZmcLa_U

They kicked rear end.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Hahaha. You're serious, aren't you?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was talking to a Mastodon fan the this week about how their new stuff doesn't really grab me at all. Get a long spiel about how great they are, visionaries, yaddayadda, got all the records, the BEST. I mention We Built This Come Death and they look at me like I'm crazy, and then it turns out they've never heard of the Lifesblood EP. Then I mention that I saw them back in like 2005 and I get called old.

This is my Mastodon fan interaction story.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm gonna check that out if it's like a proto Remission

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My favorite Mastodon story is still the time we played with them right before Leviathan came out. I can't remember which band member it was... Brent I think? One of the bands we were touring with had these womens' booty shorts with their band logo on the back. Brent was fairly drunk, before the show even started, and was wandering around wearing just some shorts, no shirt or anything. He came over to the band's merch table, dropped trousers, underpants and all, and put on the display pair of booty shorts. He then took them off, put his shorts back on, and kept on walking.

I'm... I'm not sure what happened to the display shorts... I hope they were burned or thrown away, but part of me likes to believe that some girl bought some booty shorts coated inside by Brent's drunken ball sweat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Either you've told that story before (it's okay because it's still really funny) or he's done that more than once, which is somehow more likely than you telling the story twice just by virtue of brent

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

muike posted:

Either you've told that story before (it's okay because it's still really funny) or he's done that more than once, which is somehow more likely than you telling the story twice just by virtue of brent

I feel like I've told that story more than once over the lifespan of this thread, just because I love that story so much.

I stood by with a beer in my hand just thinking, "no... he's... wait, no... don't... oh god... hahahahaha, oh my god. awesome."

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

Much more Remission than everything after, yeah. I feel like it holds up pretty well.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Oldstench posted:

Hahaha. You're serious, aren't you?

Hahaha. You seriously like your favourite band? Wow, what a loving retard you are.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
As far as Mastodon goes, I've really liked everything they've done up to now. I can understand why people don't like The Hunter and Once More 'Round The Sun. It took me a while, but eventually I really came to like The Hunter for what it was, a very good straightforward rock album. It definitely wasn't what I expected after Crack The Skye, which I thought was absolutely brilliant. I'm not sure what I think of the new album yet, but from first brief listen it at least sounded somewhat inspired, but pretty straightforward.

QPZIL posted:

My favorite Mastodon story is still the time we played with them right before Leviathan came out. I can't remember which band member it was... Brent I think? One of the bands we were touring with had these womens' booty shorts with their band logo on the back. Brent was fairly drunk, before the show even started, and was wandering around wearing just some shorts, no shirt or anything. He came over to the band's merch table, dropped trousers, underpants and all, and put on the display pair of booty shorts. He then took them off, put his shorts back on, and kept on walking.

From what I've read, the whole band seems to be pretty infamous for being on drugs/drunk literally 24/7.

hellocruelworld fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 29, 2014

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Street Soldier posted:

Hahaha. You seriously like your favourite band? Wow, what a loving retard you are.

Mastodon fans are the worst. I say that as someone from Atlanta.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Any love for Avatar? They're a Swedish metal band that I impulse bought their last two CDs after hearing their last single on the radio. If silent film stars dancing the peabody to melodic death metal doesn't put a smile to your face then I don't know what will.

http://youtu.be/zKe8jze56Vg?t=1m5s

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Mastodon fans are the worst. I say that as someone from Atlanta.

Being a Mastodon fan has nothing to do with my assessment of your post quality. "Wow, you seriously like a band?" is the most worthless loving post you could possibly make.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am a gargantuan Mastodon fanboy and I thought that post was really stupid. He's not being made fun of for liking a band, but for making a ridiculous statement about them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Street Soldier posted:

Being a Mastodon fan has nothing to do with my assessment of your post quality. "Wow, you seriously like a band?" is the most worthless loving post you could possibly make.
"I think Mastodon's biggest issue is that their kinda peerless." is really dumb. it would be a dumb statement about any band.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Street Soldier posted:

"peerless"

e:fb.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

That's what anyone would think about their favourite band, why else would they be your favourite?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Street Soldier posted:

That's what anyone would think about their favourite band, why else would they be your favourite?

please stop posting immediately

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Street Soldier posted:

No, lots of people have favorites while also having perspective about them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

het posted:

No, lots of people have favorites while also having perspective about them.
To elaborate on this, I understand that you might think "Well, if they're my favorite, then by definition I think they're the best, and thus better than anyone else", but that just doesn't seem like a very useful way of discussing music to me. Like you can have preferences but that doesn't mean your favorite has no peers. And maybe you're thinking that nobody quite does Mastodon's specific blend of influences and styles, but by that standard lots of bands would be "peerless" without that being a particularly useful descriptor.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

It is. Also check out the Today is the Day album In the Eyes of God, which has half the band and very similar songwriting.

Also just listen to Today is the Day because even their lamest stuff (and boy howdy do they get lame at points) is more interesting than Mastodon

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

comes along bort posted:

It is. Also check out the Today is the Day album In the Eyes of God, which has half the band and very similar songwriting.

Also just listen to Today is the Day because even their lamest stuff (and boy howdy do they get lame at points) is more interesting than Mastodon

Really confuses me why so few people seem familiar with Today is the Day. Albums like Sadness Will Prevail and In the Eyes of God blows away bloody anything Mastodon ever did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WptignJ_qs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Dunno but I saw them once headlining with Rwake, who are one of the most derivative bands around (they had dudes in Muthas Day Out fergawdsakes), and easily 90% of the crowd bolted after Rwake.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

935 posted:

Any love for Avatar? They're a Swedish metal band that I impulse bought their last two CDs after hearing their last single on the radio. If silent film stars dancing the peabody to melodic death metal doesn't put a smile to your face then I don't know what will.

http://youtu.be/zKe8jze56Vg?t=1m5s

I enjoyed this! Cheers :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Street Soldier posted:

If your favorite band is Mastodon, I agree with this statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

If your favorite band is Mastodon, I agree with this statement.

Why?