Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think, like everything else I'm the game, it should be easy and reliable once it's set up, but getting set up is the challenge.

You could have a reactor that produces waste that has to be piped away or stored in barrels but can be recycled back into fuel by another building. Recycling can be slow so you either need to have storage for the waste fuel or a huge complex devoted to recycling.

Once you're set up, you've got a cheap and powerful energy source that produces a small amount of pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Xel posted:

Here is a 21,600 x 11,700 (27MB) map of my base. Made it with an autoit script to take the images and python script to combine them.

http://manastuff.com/map.jpg

How long did that take you to make that entire base its just massive :staredog:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I've updated my calculator doodad:
  • Got rid of (wrong) assembler line count for primary inputs
  • Added subtotals below recipe tree (sums up total use of each recipe type)
  • Added option to set assembler level
  • Added option to set smelter level
  • Added option to set belt speed
  • Assembler count is now highlighted
  • Added data for 0.10.1 and 0.10.2

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Beautiful, but sometimes when I try to type decimals everything just locks at "Infinite", usually solved by just typing it again. Also missing 'per minute' :arghfist:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Hey modders, would it be possible to make multiple recipes for the same item? I'm interesting in turning burner inserters into inserters. I'm tired of taking my gray arms to back to the shed and shotgunning them.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Evilreaver posted:

Beautiful, but sometimes when I try to type decimals everything just locks at "Infinite", usually solved by just typing it again. Also missing 'per minute' :arghfist:

Do you mean it stays "infinite" even after you've typed in a valid value?

Since everything recalculates instantly as the underlying data changes (including calculator inputs) poo poo is gonna break while typing out part of an input which is invalid. It could be fixed, but it's such a transient issue, and you know, :effort:...

Per minute is still on the issue list don't worry (but hey if you're in a rush - calc.jsx is the file you want)

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hey also, can you do anything with those "stone rock" formations other than shotgun them into nothing?

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

UberJumper posted:

How long did that take you to make that entire base its just massive :staredog:

107 hours played at that point but keep in mind a good portion of things are placed by robots using blueprints.

Unfortunately the game is starting to lag a bit much at this point. I'm not sure how to reduce the active entity count besides just deconstructing my solar farm.

Xel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 29, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xel posted:

Here is a 21,600 x 11,700 (27MB) map of my base. Made it with an autoit script to take the images and python script to combine them.

http://manastuff.com/map.jpg

You know, I was a tad confused about just where your factory complex was. And then I found it. That thing is tiny! Can you give a picture of it zoomed in and with and without the alt-detail?

Edit: That's a weird structure you have around some of belt corners. A splitter to double the throughput around a corner? That might be a clever idea!

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 29, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Every time I play a new game, I end up using more and more features and marvelling at how easy they make things. This time around I used blueprints extensively, and had almost every product my factory produced routed to provider chests. It's amazing how fast you can grow your base when you can put down a block of 25 solar panels or 48 capacitors or a laser tower defense array with the click of a button.

That's 30 iron furnaces and 27 copper, plus to the north a small extension with another 12 copper and 6 iron feeding a dedicated green circuit factory.

I have to say, though, effectivity modules are the most useful while you're getting to the endgame, and they should be prioritized as soon as possible. This is the map of my endgame base:

There's practically zero pollution despite this being taken at a time when I was cranking out L3 modules in preparation for building the rocket defense; I never had a single map tile go over the lowest shade of pollution indicator, and biter attacks were so rare that it was like playing in peaceful mode. I also was able to run the base on pure solar power from about 5 hours in, and never built more than a single row of steam engines.

Look at how low that killcount is.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Large factory image:

Alt turned on:

I uploaded the scripts and some lame instructions to pastebin if anyone wants it.
AutoIt script: http://pastebin.com/CTwHtrdF
python script: http://pastebin.com/NzPkwyCV
instructions: http://pastebin.com/5trbzVn0

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Huh, so your factory is pure logistics bots, no belts.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Breetai posted:

Every time I play a new game, I end up using more and more features and marvelling at how easy they make things. This time around I used blueprints extensively, and had almost every product my factory produced routed to provider chests. It's amazing how fast you can grow your base when you can put down a block of 25 solar panels or 48 capacitors or a laser tower defense array with the click of a button.

That's 30 iron furnaces and 27 copper, plus to the north a small extension with another 12 copper and 6 iron feeding a dedicated green circuit factory.

I have to say, though, effectivity modules are the most useful while you're getting to the endgame, and they should be prioritized as soon as possible. This is the map of my endgame base:

There's practically zero pollution despite this being taken at a time when I was cranking out L3 modules in preparation for building the rocket defense; I never had a single map tile go over the lowest shade of pollution indicator, and biter attacks were so rare that it was like playing in peaceful mode. I also was able to run the base on pure solar power from about 5 hours in, and never built more than a single row of steam engines.

Look at how low that killcount is.

Do the items need to be premade for the construction bots to build it, or can you have them in the player storage and have the bots draw from there?

EDIT

Xel posted:

Base from hell
Holy poo poo. I'm not even sure how to do half of that half as efficiently.

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 29, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kinetica posted:

Do the items need to be premade for the construction bots to build it, or can you have them in the player storage and have the bots draw from there?

EDIT

Holy poo poo. I'm not even sure how to do half of that half as efficiently.

Have assemblers build everything you want to be able to auto place and get them to put completed structures into passive provider chests with 1-2 open slots so there is a reasonable stockpile and your bots will grab them and place them. Honestly you should build an assembler for everything you want to build in your base and never construct anything by hand once you've teched to steam power.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evilreaver posted:

evilreaver-mod-ideas.txt - excerpt
Fusion would have to be astoundingly expensive (eclipsing the Rocket Defense cost), but is the end-game power source, so even at 50-75MW output it isn't single-handedly powering your base. It requires massive startup power in order to kickstart the reaction (and to restart it any time it needs to be restarted), so you power it via a Nuclear reactor or whatever.

Nuclear requires Uranium that is cracked from coal or stone in very small amounts (more from stone than coal) requiring lots of polluting mines and power before it can be started. A 'nuclear plant' is basically a multi-structure building that has the reactor core (uranium+water = superheated water+depleted U), the dynamo (superheated = power+steam), the towers (exhausts steam at a set rate), and as many breeders as you can fit (using uranium and power, cuts uranium use in the reactor for a small net benefit- less power-per-second, more total power-per-uranium).

Uranium is cracked (stone/coal + power = U), then enriched (U + power = Enriched U). Depleted Uranium can be used for bullets or Heavy Walls (an improvement over Steel Walls, an improvement over Stone Walls). Breeders, Crackers and Enrichers pollute.

Fusion is a multi-structure too- with an enricher (water + power = deuterium), magnetosphere (deuterium = *power*) and capacitor (basically a hugeass accumulator). You want at least 3 enrichers together to keep the deuterium flowing, and you need 1GJ in your capacitors/accumulators in order to run the magnetosphere- it of course puts out enough to charge itself with lots extra to spare. Unless the supply is interrupted (like a biter breaking a pipe, or laser turrets draining power enough to put you under the margin), of course, which might suddenly put you at a huge energy deficit.

Honestly this sounds perfect; having you build nuclear power by actually building each of the seperate major 'parts' of a nuclear power plant and taping them together instead of just having a single 'nuclear power plant' that eats uranium and poops power is both entirely in line with Factorio's themes. Also to be fair fission or fusion power probably should replace coal power, or at least be definitively better than coal power though requiring a lot more resources, technology and fiddly bits to get set up. If you have a choice between even a primitive fission plant and a coal-fired plant the fission plant is going to be better than the coal plant in almost every concievable way except possibly the meltdown aspect but if you design your fission plant properly you can actually set them up so they can't go into meltdown as the very act of the core melting down causes it to shut off its own fuel source. So *shrug*

We could definitely use some more lategame power generation options though; I'm getting real sick of mindlessly building giant fields of solar panels or endless lines of coal plants.

Phobophilia posted:

Edit: That's a weird structure you have around some of belt corners. A splitter to double the throughput around a corner? That might be a clever idea!

I believe he is using splitters instead of having corners at all because a splitter is faster than a corner.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 29, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Neruz posted:

I believe he is using splitters instead of having corners at all because a splitter is faster than a corner.

You're looking at the part where he's shifting a belt a few squares to the left using splitters, but if you look up at the wire conveyors you can see how he uses splitters to push more around corners.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're looking at the part where he's shifting a belt a few squares to the left using splitters, but if you look up at the wire conveyors you can see how he uses splitters to push more around corners.

Oh I see, huh, that's interesting. I've used similar structures to get it so that both sides of the conveyor are used but It never occured to me to build a second corner to increase the throughput that way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nuclear Power is appearently on the roadmap after multiplayer and 0.12

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I think my favorite new feature of 0.10.x is that you can use smart inserters to insert into a passive provider and have it stop off of the total items in the logistic network with just two red/green wires.

It means I can have as many assemblers as possible making my item and still keep consumption in check easily.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Uh, you don't need any wires to do that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What do you use wires for anyway; it seems like the wire network is rendered completely supurfluous by the logistics network and some decent planning.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Neruz posted:

What do you use wires for anyway; it seems like the wire network is rendered completely supurfluous by the logistics network and some decent planning.

Mainly, it's cheaper/easier to run wire to outlying facilities than it is to get a chain of drone hubs going out to there, especially if you're not going to do any drone work in the area.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LordSaturn posted:

Mainly, it's cheaper/easier to run wire to outlying facilities than it is to get a chain of drone hubs going out to there, especially if you're not going to do any drone work in the area.

My outlying facilities are usually just raw materials mining and processing; shipping (training) tonnes of coal, iron and copper plates back to the main hub doesn't need 'smart' interactions so I guess that's why I've never needed to use wire.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Breetai posted:

Honestly you should build an assembler for everything you want to build in your base and never construct anything by hand once you've teched to steam power.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but it's annoying to have to build 100 units of Science pack 3 in order to gain the technology which allows automated production of Science pack 3.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

snooman posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but it's annoying to have to build 100 units of Science pack 3 in order to gain the technology which allows automated production of Science pack 3.

The only Science I've had to (or wanted to) make manually was Red. What part of Blue can't you make without Blue research?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You definitely don't need to handcraft blues.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

snooman posted:

You only need Assembler 2 (the blue one) to make Science 3, not Assembler 3 (the yellow one).

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Sunblood posted:

The only Science I've had to (or wanted to) make manually was Red. What part of Blue can't you make without Blue research?

Maybe he's thinking about needing Advanced Oil because he isn't using storage tanks? Either that or he thinks you needs level 3 assemblers, which you don't.

e: partially beaten

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Shintaro posted:

Maybe he's thinking about needing Advanced Oil because he isn't using storage tanks? Either that or he thinks you needs level 3 assemblers, which you don't.

e: partially beaten

Nope, just ignorant and apparently blind. After building and using a score of them, all this time I thought assembling machine 2 could only take three ingredients.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

snooman posted:

Nope, just ignorant and apparently blind. After building and using a score of them, all this time I thought assembling machine 2 could only take three ingredients.

That'd do it. :downs:

I'm not even sure what Assembler 3s are used for. Can they hold more upgrades or something? The only things I can think of that need more than 4 ingredients are some of the power armor components (which you're only going to build like 3 of anyway) or the rocket defense (which is built in half a second).

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

President Ark posted:

I'm not even sure what Assembler 3s are used for. Can they hold more upgrades or something? The only things I can think of that need more than 4 ingredients are some of the power armor components (which you're only going to build like 3 of anyway) or the rocket defense (which is built in half a second).

They hold four modules and craft faster than the assember 2s do.

e: If the wiki is correct, rocket defense (and oil refineries) need five ingredients and can only be hand crafted.

snooman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 30, 2014

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

President Ark posted:

The Assembler 1 crafts at 0.5x speed (i.e. if the player can craft it in 1 second, Assembler 1 crafts it in 2.) Assembler 2 is 0.75x speed, and Assembler 3 is 1.25x speed, so it's a pretty nice increase in speed, especially if you use it for something like Advanced Circuits which take a good amount of time. That's the only difference between 2 and 3 though.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

snooman posted:

They hold four modules and craft faster than the assember 2s do.

They are also more power- (and pollution-, if you care about such things) efficient on a per-item basis than any of the other assemblers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yellow Assemblers use more power than Blue (210 kW vs 150 kW) but emit less pollution by default (1.8 vs 2.4).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I wish the pipe infrastructure in the game was easier to deal with, even going with underground pipes where possible is just a mess. I'd like to see a piece that lets you cross pipes, so the exit from a oil refinery isn't a mess. Or, something that could join two/three pipes, then a pipe piece that has multiple tubes, and a splitter at the end.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
I find a group of T's coming out of the refineries that lead to tanks placed to the left or right of them is the easiest and cleanest method that allows for the most clean expansion. Not straight from the refineries to the tanks.

Dementedghost fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 30, 2014

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Some way of running pipes right next to each other without having them interconnect in all directions would be nice.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'm using this mod, it's good. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4135

I think I could make this less messy though.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Oil refinery takes 5 ingredients so you can't automate them with assemblers. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xel posted:

Oil refinery takes 5 ingredients so you can't automate them with assemblers. :argh:

I guess we need level 4 assemblers.